vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4089 Post(s)

Neil Lennon

Wanted to take a moment and gush a little bit about the man leading our charge!

I've pretty much decided he's the best Hibs manager in my lifetime, I'm 29 so feel free to debate that fact after.

When he came to us, we were all very aware of his character, previous records and successes, etc. I'm not quite as convinced that many would've been aware of alot of the finer details that have come along with him.

How many of us have said or seen players say, that Neil Lennon is getting the best out of ''pick one'' Doing that with one or two players can really impact a team, but he's doing it with the best part of a squad in one way or another.

He's fully committed to the cause, he wants us to challenge Celtic, he wants us to look backwards at Hearts, Hunco and Aberdeen, he's very open about that and that sets the challenge for the players, who he's obviously convinced them to see what he can see. We've all half believed it and dreamt about it forever so now it's good to see it coming from all areas of the club! I think he's taken it to a new height.

Tactically I think he's surprised me, I wasn't surprised that he changed the formation and style of football we played, but more that after a few months it became clear he had 3 or 4 plans lined up and everyone was able to slot into whatever was needed on any given day.
    That wasn't quite the case to begin this season though, I felt like we forced Stokes into team and I was vocal about us suffering for that very fact, (the Stokes situation was his only real failing to now imo) eventually leading to him being released from his contract. Stokes had to leave, him leaving wasn't Neils ruthless style in this instance. (I won't argue the rest of the details, that was done to the death)
    Then the whole Bain, Allan, Murray situation happened, and obviously I was leading the rage campaign at the time, initially because we lost a handy player in Murray who despite squiggly form, was suffering from the Stokes effect and was one of the players I'd argue Neil was showing signs of getting the better player out of him. Obviously Allan being a part of that was just poking me.
    Now I know a lot of people will argue that the January transfer window changed our season, but up until the Bain deal (forced on us, ironically by us injuring Gordon) Scott Allan wasn't coming to Hibs, he'd still be at Dundee. Murray might have left, it's interesting that we got an offer just before all this happened, smells like agent work. But that's another story too.
    The point of all this transfer chat in a formation paragraph that's gone on too long, is that the injury to Brandon Barker and the necessity to pump Stokes led to Neil changing formation, altering how we play and we've turned into what are just now. Allan has definitely played his part in some of those games, Hunco being his saving grace, but all of this was going to happen already with what we had.

I've forgot virtually everything else I wanted to say, got caught up, up there..

Stubb's might have won the Scottish cup (thanks eternally forever) but he was very stubborn in his tactics and approach, he had a style and he wanted to assert it, ultimately it cost us promotion too many times and we were well placed to do so each time. Neil is a different sort, he looks at what he needs to do to win, as opposed to play our way and try to win. That's what puts him ahead of Stubbs for me, who's ahead of JC and TM, then McLeish, but McLeish had magic to work with. The rest can be argued, bottomed out with Calder..****

Any thoughts? Join in, it'll all come back to me, but if I don't submit this, it'll sit here forever!
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3618 Post(s)
    Good post, @Hammi

Agree, like. I was not keen when he was appointed, but I think we're now seeing why he was so revered at Celtc: combative when required, inspires loyalty and respect in the players, and expects a desire to win every game without at the same time perceiving it as a god-given right (hence the tactical flexibility). In addition to that, I think he is that bit more relaxed about non-football life in and around Hibs. The result of all that is a manager who's working well, and is a great fit for the club.

I've also come to really enjoy his press conferences and interviews, which are never bland.

Criticisms? To be honest, at this point I'd really be making an effort to pick something out, which speaks volumes for the season he's guided us through. If he can really bring this side to the boil now, when the chips are really down, we could be in for a special run-in. I for one am a) excited, and b) have a quiet confidence that we are in the right hands. Bring them all on.

Report card looks very good so far.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2271 Post(s)
    Good gush, Hamers

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6221 Post(s)
    I had the luxury of being brought up on and seeingTurnbull's Tornadoes, I was spoiled.

I was one of I expect very few Hibs fans who was happy for Neil to join our club. He is only second to Mr Eddie Turnbull in my favourite Hibs manager, although I fair enjoyed watching JC, Tony Mowbray and Alan Stubbs' teams and also wished for both St Pat and Le Dieu to succeed so very, very much.

For me, Neil Lennon can stay as long as he wants, he gets Hibs, Hibs and our fans have grown to get Neil. Gary Parker should also be recognised as key in our rebirth.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gary Parker should also be recognised as key in our rebirth.
    Could you expand on that? Genuinely interested, in the sense that I know he's there but have never heard an awful lot about him (as opposed to Doolan, for example).

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1806 Post(s)
    I had the luxury of being brought up on and seeingTurnbull's Tornadoes, I was spoiled.

I was one of I expect very few Hibs fans who was happy for Neil to join our club. He is only second to Mr Eddie Turnbull in my favourite Hibs manager, although I fair enjoyed watching JC, Tony Mowbray and Alan Stubbs' teams and also wished for both St Pat and Le Dieu to succeed so very, very much.

For me, Neil Lennon can stay as long as he wants, he gets Hibs, Hibs and our fans have grown to get Neil. Gary Parker should also be recognised as key in our rebirth.
    Couldn’t have put it better myself

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1699 Post(s)
    Huge fan of Lennon. Best manager I've seen at Hibs in my lifetime. He knows how to win and that's all that matters.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1018 Post(s)
    Erm… I’m not so sure about him being the best manager I’ve seen (Alex Miller to Neil Lennon is my generation).

Ultimately, Neil Lennon inherited a pretty good crop of players when several of our other managers really didn’t; arguably our strongest squad since the tornadoes. I’ll always have a soft spot for Tony Mowbray given the transformation he oversaw after the turgid years of Bobby Williamson, but it’s important to realise that he, too, inherited several very good young players that the club, and then John Collins, profited from Williamson’s blooding of (arguably enforced, rather than chosen).

As a counterweight to that, the often maligned Alex Miller had to lead the club through the biggest existential crisis in its history. As fans, we had little knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes prior to the need to act, while Miller had to deal with it on a daily basis that included coming to terms with being on the wrong end of derby domination due to the financial disparity that developed. This couldn’t have been easy, and he delivered the first silverware to the club in a couple of decades.

When I think of people like Mixu, Coco and Fenlon I think most of us shudder without necessarily understanding that they were fed extremely thin gruel in order to build a team with. People like Duff Jimmy and John Hughes, on the other hand, were well backed – and delivered what ended up being a shambles before they departed. Alex McLeish presided over the biggest spending spree the club potentially ever enjoyed, and still ended up leading the line with Eduardo Hurtado. The less said about Terry Butcher, easily the worst manager I’ve seen at the club, the better.

That effectively leaves Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon.

Stubbs, of course, inherited an absolute shambles. The club was on a low ebb, the fans were sick to the back teeth of under-investment and poor boardroom leadership, a uniquely competitive Championship beckoned that nobody really had the stomach for, and we barely had a squad worthy of the name after his predecessor cleaned most of it out. To my knowledge, most of the off field operations had also been neglected for quite some time and were in desperate need of reform. As a result, we brought in a manager who wanted to install a certain culture at the club, he reinvigorated the way we played as well as the personnel who played that way and, when all is said and done, he delivered the Scottish Cup and brought an end to the stick that we supporters had been beaten with for more years than I can remember.

But he wasn’t perfect. His failure to negotiate the Championship, or even its playoffs, shouldn’t be overlooked; nor should his tactical naivety when things needed to change, and I’m not 100% sure he solved the soft spine that the club has had for as long as I can remember.

Neil Lennon, on the other hand, did almost exactly the opposite.

The sheer winning ethos that now pervades the club is obvious, and we’ve become a team for the big occasion. He’s addressed our wastefulness, didn’t bow to player power in the Anthony Stokes situation, and has built a squad that can win games in a variety of ways. He’s established dominance in the Edinburgh derby, something I suspect most of us still have to pinch ourselves to really accept, and there’s now a… I don’t know, “guts” to Hibs that I don’t recall seeing. The soft spine is gone, which is remarkable considering how long we’ve been living with it. Sure, there’s still the odd bad result but you have to expect that when you’re generally playing on a level financial playing field with your peers.

So what am I saying?

I’m not sure I agree that he’s the best manager we’ve seen at the club, but he’s certainly the guy for the job at this point in time. It takes a specific type of person to get the most out of a squad, but perhaps it’s a different type of guy that builds said squad and that’s what he needed. Personally, I think the summer will be the making or breaking of him because he has to rebuild a team that, I’m sorry to say, is going to look radically different to how it looks now – particularly in the middle of the park. If he can regenerate the positions of McGeouch, McGinn and Allan and see us continue to hold the Edinburgh upper hand and competing for trophies and European football, then I think we can say we found someone very special indeed.

And a quick last word to whoever said it (I’m sorry, I forgot):

I think we, as supporters, do now get Neil Lennon. For some it took a while, but a winner is a winner and I think many of us appreciate that a bit more than we did.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    Could you expand on that? Genuinely interested, in the sense that I know he's there but have never heard an awful lot about him (as opposed to Doolan, for example).
    I simply know Neil could not do what he is doing alone, you need a good number two.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I simply know Neil could not do what he is doing alone, you need a good number two.
    You don't hear too much about him but that ain't a bad thing. Remember when he 1st went to Celtic there was a lot of hype about his coaching abilities and working well with players. Looked like a pure jackey, but he's part of a successful coaching set up and seems to be another good character to have around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    You don't hear too much about him but that ain't a bad thing. Remember when he 1st went to Celtic there was a lot of hype about his coaching abilities and working well with players. Looked like a pure jackey, but he's part of a successful coaching set up and seems to be another good character to have around.
    Haha, he does look like he slept in a skip, right enough

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7021 Post(s)
    He's a neighbour of mine and I have the odd wee chat with him. He's hugely positive and optimistic about everything. His last words to me a week or so ago were "We just need to keep winning!".

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)
    I think the point is that Neil Lennon really gets Hibs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1806 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bofahibee View Post
    I think the point is that Neil Lennon really gets Hibs now.

And hibs get Neil Lennon.

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2851 Post(s)
    I wonder who he was looking at in the West Upper at FT yesterday,looked “focussed” for a minute or two
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5220 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    I wonder who he was looking at in the West Upper at FT yesterday,looked “focussed” for a minute or two
    Not Leeann, anyway. She was at the tunnel watching the game at the end.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6727 Post(s)
    Kenny Who I expect.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    We’ve had a few managers in my lifetime who have helped the club kick on - Miller, McLeish, Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs & Lennon.

Miller helped us survive the most challenging period given all that happened doff the field, and won us a cup. He probably ended up staying too long. McLeish got us back up at the first time of asking, and was able to sign some of the most exciting players we’ve ever had, but couldn’t wait to jumped ship to Rangers. Mowbray brought the excitement back with some great young players, but was another who only used the club as a stepping stone. Collins added some substance to that style, producing the most commanding cup final performance of any Hibs team, but didn’t have a good enough backroom staff to compliment his own shortcomings. Stubbs rescued the club from the abyss, signed some fantastic players, and delivered the Scottish Cup, but perhaps lacked the win at all costs mentality to get out of the Championsip.

That brings us to Neil Lennon: he has a bigger winning mentality than any of those mentioned, and publicly defends the club & his players regardless of the circumstances. He’s ruthless with the players, but clearly gets the best out of them and has helped the likes of Hanlon, Boyle, McGeouch & McGinn reach another level. He’s built on what Stubbs created, giving us an exciting attacking football team who don’t know their beat & play to win regardless of the opponent. If we finish second this season, even third, it will be some achievement. If we can push on and repeat that next season, and win a trophy, he’ll cement his status as an all time great.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post
    We’ve had a few managers in my lifetime who have helped the club kick on - Miller, McLeish, Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs & Lennon.

Miller helped us survive the most challenging period given all that happened doff the field, and won us a cup. He probably ended up staying too long. McLeish got us back up at the first time of asking, and was able to sign some of the most exciting players we’ve ever had, but couldn’t wait to jumped ship to Rangers. Mowbray brought the excitement back with some great young players, but was another who only used the club as a stepping stone. Collins added some substance to that style, producing the most commanding cup final performance of any Hibs team, but didn’t have a good enough backroom staff to compliment his own shortcomings. Stubbs rescued the club from the abyss, signed some fantastic players, and delivered the Scottish Cup, but perhaps lacked the win at all costs mentality to get out of the Championsip.

That brings us to Neil Lennon: he has a bigger winning mentality than any of those mentioned, and publicly defends the club & his players regardless of the circumstances. He’s ruthless with the players, but clearly gets the best out of them and has helped the likes of Hanlon, Boyle, McGeouch & McGinn reach another level. He’s built on what Stubbs created, giving us an exciting attacking football team who don’t know their beat & play to win regardless of the opponent. If we finish second this season, even third, it will be some achievement. If we can push on and repeat that next season, and win a trophy, he’ll cement his status as an all time great.
    Quality post.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6727 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post

Agreed.

OBF probably gets more grief than he deserves, mainly because he lost it a bit. But someone who signed Keith Keith Keith, Mikey O'Neill, Crunchie etc can't have been all that bad?
    Judas was given almost free reign - and a huge pot of cash. Rodders grew up supporting the Sheepies, and I think he saw Judas as a 'hero' and swallowed his lies about 5 year plans etc due to his status.
    Not only did Judas screw us all over, I think his behaviour made Hibs 'once bitten twice shy' approach thereafter.
    Mowbray was fine until he left, then when he bossed the Smellies he really needed to be treated with Canestan.

Lennon is making Hibs better so I'm turning a blind eye to his misdemeanours off park.

I'll no doubt give the further attention if he joins a rival club.

Fickle?
    Me?

You betcha.

GoGO Back To Forum