Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2617 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic won’t be gutted to lose their first game if it means they can win v rangers at parkhead
    I thought that was the reason for the delay in announcing the games? Thought they might have had the Recent Firm game at least 2nd last or last game if that was the reason. We beat the dodgers and watch them panic.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5212 Post(s)
    Good news - 3 home games (tick)
    - No midweek trail anywhere (especially Sheep Ville)
    - Sheep at 3pm on a Saturday
    - Killie go to Mordor and play the team they have
    least success against first
    - Gunts go to Mordor again

Less ideal is playing the Lessers first but can't have it all.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7014 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Good news - 3 home games (tick)
    - No midweek trail anywhere (especially Sheep Ville)
    - Sheep at 3pm on a Saturday
    - Killie go to Mordor and play the team they have
    least success against first
    - Gunts go to Mordor again

Less ideal is playing the Lessers first but can't have it all.
    I'm now thinking playing the lessers first might not be a bad thing. I fancy us to get something from the game. And if we do it won't half set us up nicely for the next 4.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    I thought that was the reason for the delay in announcing the games? Thought they might have had the Recent Firm game at least 2nd last or last game if that was the reason.

We beat the dodgers and watch them panic.
    Indeed. Even if we hold them to a draw, the next game becomes the potential league decider.

The potential for mayhem is immense.
    I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me it would defeat the purpose .... (George Carlin)

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1018 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Bit of a possible advantage us playing our second last game 24 hours after Aberdeen v rangers
    Which is ludicrous.

As is the fact Hearts are returning to Ibrox for a third time and, thus, "losing" a home gate.

Look… I get it. I do. We hate Hearts, they hate us, and their misfortune is our joy-butter. But the reality is that it’s unfair on Aberdeen to have a habitually bad game 24 hours before we know what we have to go out and do after it, and it’s unfair on Hearts to have to take a third trip to Ibrox when Scottish teams are all dependent upon gates. I understand that playing at Murrayfield helped their gates earlier in the season, but I’m not sure how much of that they actually pocketed given the additional costs that were incurred in whatever rent agreement they signed.

Equally, we all wanted them to upgrade their bear pit of a stadium – which also costs money (don’t forget the seats next time, though, eh?) that they’re not rolling in.

It’s embarrassing for our entire game that this is going on, and it’s worse that there’s absolutely no reason for it.

And the problem is that the powers that be will hide behind the fact that it’s an unusually competitive race for second place and, thus, a better European draw for the clubs involved.

But that’s what we all $#@!ing want.

The game thrives on the competition we’re seeing for second place this year, and the goal MUST be that it becomes the rule rather than the exception. And if we achieve that, then what? Every year we have a set of post-split fixtures that shaft certain teams? European football is effectively a windfall that clubs can spend freely because it’s not likely to be part of their general turnover.

And the sums aren’t small, either. Getting to the second qualifying round, which isn’t beyond Hibs, Aberdeen or ‘Rangers’ is worth pretty much £500,000 without including gates. Should one of those clubs get to the group stages after an extremely favourable draw, we’re talking about another £667,000 in prize money alone… Again, not including gates. In other words, were Hibs to get to the group stages of the Europa League, it could potentially be worth over ten million. Even the more realistic aspiration of hitting the second or third qualifying round would see us netting between three and four million.

It’s big money.

And our association is $#@!ing up the fixtures that could potentially lead to it.

It just isn’t good enough.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3615 Post(s)
    @Zellviren, quite - also bears pointing out that this would be a competitive race without a split being involved. With a three point spread and just a few fixtures to go, this would be tight regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2113 Post(s)
    How many times have teams been hit with a 20 -18 split of fixtures since this system started?
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)
    Fixtures are the best we could have asked for. I’m in Benidorm for a Stag trip next week so missing the Smellies game.

Definitely cut the Huns allocation though. The demand will be there from our fans to fill a good part of the south at least, especially going into the game with still something to play for. IIRC did we not cut the Huns allocation for one of the play-off games a couple of year back?
    "There's class, there's first class, and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1018 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    @Zellviren, quite - also bears pointing out that this would be a competitive race without a split being involved.
    Exactly.

There's absolutely no reason for the split, and it throws up all sorts of other existential problems when the race is tight and teams get the short end of the stick. "Yeah, but, TV money" isn't a good enough excuse, given that TV money (and, by extension, other sponsorships) are $#@!ing rubbish in Scotland, so the only thing that really needs protected is gates.

This is why the SPFL, and the SPL before them, will continue to resist a 16-team league. It's because it only provides 15 home gates a season, three less than the current set up assuming the split doesn't throw your entitlement to a home gate out the window, which is worth over a million to clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. It's money they can't afford to lose.

So why the $#@! can't we have a top league of 20 teams, and a second league of 22?

This guarantees 38 fixtures for the Premiership, and gives more home gates to the teams below that. It also generates additional cash for those below the top tier who don't get habitual visits from the big clubs.

It's such an obvious solution, it solves the financial problem with home gates, it's more lucrative to lower ranked teams, and Scottish fans want bigger leagues. There's also the potential benefit to player development in Scotland when clubs aren't routinely threatened with relegation in a cut-throat, ten-team system that could see financial implosion follow a bad run of form at the wrong time.

As a result, don't expect it to happen. Instead, expect this farcical state of affairs to continue because our game is ran by a gaggle of complete $#@!ing muppets.

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1638 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Exactly.

There's absolutely no reason for the split, and it throws up all sorts of other existential problems when the race is tight and teams get the short end of the stick. "Yeah, but, TV money" isn't a good enough excuse, given that TV money (and, by extension, other sponsorships) are $#@!ing rubbish in Scotland, so the only thing that really needs protected is gates.

This is why the SPFL, and the SPL before them, will continue to resist a 16-team league. It's because it only provides 15 home gates a season, three less than the current set up assuming the split doesn't throw your entitlement to a home gate out the window, which is worth over a million to clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. It's money they can't afford to lose.

So why the $#@! can't we have a top league of 20 teams, and a second league of 22?

This guarantees 38 fixtures for the Premiership, and gives more home gates to the teams below that. It also generates additional cash for those below the top tier who don't get habitual visits from the big clubs.

It's such an obvious solution, it solves the financial problem with home gates, it's more lucrative to lower ranked teams, and Scottish fans want bigger leagues. There's also the potential benefit to player development in Scotland when clubs aren't routinely threatened with relegation in a cut-throat, ten-team system that could see financial implosion follow a bad run of form at the wrong time.

As a result, don't expect it to happen. Instead, expect this farcical state of affairs to continue because our game is ran by a gaggle of complete $#@!ing muppets.
    I concur re the SPLit, it is f'uckin useless, and should be gubbed. Problem being, clubs vote to keep it.

I am a long time advocate of the 16 team league.
    Dont know if UEFA have changed rules in recent years but, a 30 match league was the minimum requirement for Champs League involvement. A 16 team league allows for that.
    I also feel that clubs such as Hibs, Guntz, Dons, etc may have a better chance of success in the league, rather than if it was dragged out longer. SDBs have far bigger squads and can sustain long term injured players more than any team.

The season-wide format is a simple one I've always stood by ...

no midweek league matches(that takes care of 30 saturday/sundays, and more recovery time for injured players)
    no winter shutdown
    LC played on saturday/sunday to a finish
    SC matches only midweek replays

I would argue that any gate losses from a 15 v 19 home match league would be balanced by not having to play a league game on a freezing tuesday night in Dingwall/Killie/Inversneckie/Aberdeen, or even a midweek league cup match at ER against Dumbarton, or other sh'ite like that
    Games played at weekends tend to bring bigger crowds, simple as that. It may even cost some clubs to stage a midweek game due to a crap turnout.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2617 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I'm now thinking playing the lessers first might not be a bad thing. I fancy us to get something from the game. And if we do it won't half set us up nicely for the next 4.
    I’m the same Kenny, I fancy us tae beat them, they’ve no been firing on all cylinders for a few weeks. And the dodgers might no be too fussed as that will give them the chance tae hump the the hun and win the league.😉

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6725 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking.

The Smellies will play for a win at ER.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3615 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Wishful thinking.

Totally.

However, I still think, even then, we can beat them. But it'll take a monumental performance, make no mistake, because Celtc will be wanting this put to bed - people seem to be forgetting that if they don't, there's always the chance that they then don't​ beat the Huns, allowing them a fleeting moment of gloating.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Wishful thinking.

They are getting beat 2 nil ya bass! So there.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2617 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post

It’s a Big G for me👍

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2113 Post(s)
    I think the current system overall is better than a 20 team league or a 16 team league with 30 games, think a 16 team league would require a split of some sort to boost number of games.
    until the sky turns green

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6725 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post

It’s possible.

They haven’t been brilliant recently.
    I’d be happy to share the points, and fcukin delighted to take them all.

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)
    Remember hearts have to take some responsibility, they seemingly asked for the hearts v rangers games to be switched to accommodate the shambles of a new bus shelter.

They have had their cake.

GoGO Back To Forum