vCash
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7021 Post(s)

The Problem Right Back Position

Remember a few months back with both Sir David Gray and Steven Whittaker out injured the perception was of right back being a problem because Efe Ambrose was no more than a stop gap in the role? The guy just oozes class. There was a wee blip in concentration on Saturday but overall he's been superb. With Steven Whittaker now fully fit I wonder if it's even up for debate that the right back position is Efe's? And when is Sir David back? One thing is looking inevitable and that it's looking likely another ex Gunt full back looks like making no impression in his short contract with us....

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I thought we've been playing more of a back 3 with Squirrel at RWB. Could be wrong though.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember a few months back with both Sir David Gray and Steven Whittaker out injured the perception was of right back being a problem because Efe Ambrose was no more than a stop gap in the role? The guy just oozes class. There was a wee blip in concentration on Saturday but overall he's been superb. With Steven Whittaker now fully fit I wonder if it's even up for debate that the right back position is Efe's? And when is Sir David back? One thing is looking inevitable and that it's looking likely another ex Gunt full back looks like making no impression in his short contract with us....
    Neil Lennon deserves a lot of credit for tweaking the squad to compensate for those injuries and finding a system that works.

I don’t think Efe is great at right back, but we’ve got around the issue by playing him on the right of a back three where the big man thrives. It also frees up Hanlon to push forward on the left side. Boyle has done a decent job as the right wing back, but I feel it limits him going forward as he has to conserve energy for getting back more than he would as an out and out winger. Another advantage of the back three is it allows us to play with two strikers and give Scott Allan a free role.

I don’t think Whittaker has the legs to play full back or wing back now, however he looked very comfortable in the midfield when he came on at the weekend.

Hopefully Sir David is fit before the end of the season and is able to get a good full pre-season in as we build towards what is hopefully another European adventure.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4089 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmLee View Post
    I thought we've been playing more of a back 3 with Squirrel at RWB. Could be wrong though.
    This has definitely been the case more recently, but both him and Paul have really been pushing forward, putting pressure really quite far up the pitch. It just shows the confidence we have in Darren.

But up until then Efe was definitely marauding as a full back and puts in some beautiful crosses.
    He has absolutely no fear and unlimited confidence in himself. It can be scary, but I love it, him too.
    And he does backflips, which is fun.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2642 Post(s)
    Efe Ambrose for me is a strong candidate for Hibs Player of the Year this season. Yes, he occasionally switches off as he did once on Saturday almost leading to a goal conceded, but overall his play has been superb and you can see the guy has played at a high level and why he is an internationalist. I had my doubts about him at right-back and to be honest I still do, but as has been said he has more or less been playing on the right side of a back three and looks very assured there.

RE Whittaker I have never thought he was a defender. I have been saying for years that his best position would be in central midfield where his experience and composure in that area would really help the team. He showed that on Saturday when he came on. I really hope he can stay injury-free till the end of the season as he will be a real asset for us.

RE Sir David...I really hope we can see him back in the squad post split and making a contribution. It was a bad injury he got, but let's hope he can get over it and still be at the club next season.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Efe Ambrose for me is a strong candidate for Hibs Player of the Year this season. Yes, he occasionally switches off as he did once on Saturday almost leading to a goal conceded, but overall his play has been superb and you can see the guy has played at a high level and why he is an internationalist. I had my doubts about him at right-back and to be honest I still do, but as has been said he has more or less been playing on the right side of a back three and looks very assured there.

RE Whittaker I have never thought he was a defender. I have been saying for years that his best position would be in central midfield where his experience and composure in that area would really help the team. He showed that on Saturday when he came on. I really hope he can stay injury-free till the end of the season as he will be a real asset for us.

RE Sir David...I really hope we can see him back in the squad post split and making a contribution. It was a bad injury he got, but let's hope he can get over it and still be at the club next season.
    I don't think Whittaker did that much on Saturday in all honesty. Not enough to merit that much praise anyway. I'm not convinced we got the best deal with him coming back. He really has it all to prove. Going forward, if we play 3 in the middle next season. It'll be something along the lines of; Allan, Dylan and perhaps Stevie Mallan who I know NL admires. Whittaker I can't see being anymore than a backup option.

I have a feeling Sir David might leave. Mutual consent or someone might come in for him. I feel for him as this season has been a write off. He has been a great captain for Hibs.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5004 Post(s)
    This is how it feels to be hibees
    This is how is feels to be small
    You/They signed Callachan
    We signed Efe Ambrose
    Efe Ambrose

Hibs are standing on the brink of history...
    They've only gone and done it..
    They've only gone and won The Scottish Cup.

Bounce Hibs Ladies Player Sponsorship

Toddler Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    What is the latest update on Gray? What was his injury? I saw something about him getting injured during the winter break but never saw anything confirmed.

GoGO Back To Forum