vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)

Just back, superb three points, but we must make more of these lay-offs

What can you say after a match like that? It was a superb three points in the end, hard fought, despite the referee, who I'll come back to. But Hibs we must use these cup and international breaks more effectively. Rest up and recuperate yes but we must come out of the traps better when the break finishes. Today we had by far the better team but looked sluggish first half. Thistle started brighter and actually had some decent passages of play. We dug in and stuck at it and there were some brave performances but maybe rode our luck once or twice. I must mention another stunning save from Cammy Bell which kept it at 0-0. He did take a sore one - hope he's ok. From where I was I couldn't see what happened at their disallowed goal. Perhaps another Bouncer with a better view can shed some light? Our football shone through in the end and at 2-0 I was in a difficult position having placed a bet on that score at 14/1 with McLaren scoring the first goal!

In a bitterly cold day before the start I felt the mood was optimistic amongst the support. We lined up with three at the back and five in the midfield with two upfront. As I said we started sluggish. Thistle always seemed first to the second ball and actually tried to play a bit of football for a while. We struggled for quite a while as Thistle closed down the space and tried to catch us on the break. Perhaps surprisingly there were no changes after an indifferent first half. There appeared to be a bit more determination to our play after the break but we still had some scary moments. It could have been quite different had Thistle's 'goal' not been chalked off after 69 minutes. Presumably after a real stramash the player who finally hit the ball home was offside? Then very soon, Boyle showed squirrel like pace to get to a long ball down the right to cross for Jamie Maclaren to smash home. Thistle's goalie had gone off injured. Shortly after Paul Hanlon scored a super headed goal, whether their substitute keeper had much chance I'll need to see the replays. Eventually it was a comfortable win. I thought we could have scored more, but then I would have lost my bet!

The players:
    Cammy Bell - didn't really have too much to do apart from one wonder save
    Efe Ambrose - some real pipe and slipper moments and one or twe Efe moments. Thaaaaat's Efe!
    Lewis Stevenson - gutsy display would have liked to see him on the ball more
    Paul Hanlon - solid display again, some good forays with the ball in their half. Pleased for his goal.
    Daz McGregor - solid display, man the match has a turn of speed when he needs it
    Dylan McGeouch - not his best match gave the ball away a few times. Perhaps not fully fit (or too many distractions?)
    Marvin Bartley - tried hard but seemed out of sorts. Mystery booking in the 40th minute. In the style of Arsene Wenger, I didn't really see it properly. Anyone else?
    Martin Boyle - never gave up, didn't get too much change out of Thistle, but his determination led to our first goal.
    Scott Allan - didn't get much space. Thistle had obviously done their homework. Came on to a better game later perhaps as Thistle tired. Needs to make more of set pieces
    Florian Kamberi - worked tirelessly all day, good at holding the ball up, didn't get much change out of that clogger defence
    Jamie Maclaren - had a quiet day today I thought until his goal

Subs:
    Steven Whittaker - some decent touches and tackles. We need to get more out of this guy.
    Oli Shaw - came on for Maclaren, was better at holding the ball up
    Danny Swanson - not on for long enough

Referee - Andrew Dallas some poor decisions. Let Thistle away with loads. I didn't really see the foul for their red card it happened so fast. Anybody else? Their horrible number 19 was a whinging little get. Reminded me of a pirate. How he didn't get booked I'll never know.

Thistle - were better than I expected. I think Alan Archibald had them well prepared. Perhaps if they had continued to play football rather than commit niggly fouls they may have got more out of the game. It's strange though I didn't think at any time we were going to lose this match. Perhaps that shows how much we have come on a team. I think we did miss Super John. He'll take some replacing. Neil take note.

Crowd - decent at 17,497 for an Easter weekend.

I had a superb comfy seat in section 51 - was hoping to see some WAGS but all I saw was drunk punters from hospitality. Onward and I hope the cobwebs are away now for Hamilton on Tuesday. We were a bit shaky at times and if that happens on Tuesday I think Hamilton will punish us. Killie and Aberdeen both won so we keep up the momentum. Rangers didn't win which is always good!

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    930 Post(s)
    Good report, can’t disagree with any of it really.

Only thing I would add is that I thought the Whittaker for Bartley sub changed the game in our favour. Whittaker is a lot more comfortable on the ball than Marv is so our tempo didn’t suffer when Whittaker got the ball & imo that gave Allan, McGeough and Boyle a little more freedom.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1234 Post(s)
    Cheers , enjoyed that report.
    First half was easily forgettable.
    Hanlon got mom for me , macregor, Stevenson and Bell made good contributions, as did Boyle with 2 assists.Effe brightened up a dour first half with his antics , just can't help but love the guy, he kept me awake!!!
    Scott Allan came onto a game, but he ain't too keen on the tackling or getting stuck in , is he?! Some lovely passes 2nd half which split the defence.
    Tuesday can't come quick enough.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Only thing I would add is that I thought the Whittaker for Bartley sub changed the game in our favour. Whittaker is a lot more comfortable on the ball than Marv is so our tempo didn’t suffer when Whittaker got the ball & imo that gave Allan, McGeough and Boyle a little more freedom.
    I agree on Whitts, he helped make the difference.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Cheers for the Just Back Jock.

First half Hibs were poor, really slow out of the traps. Second half we grew into the game before upping a gear, taking control & winning the game comfortably in the end. It was great to see us win ugly, showing the patience to wait & take advantage of a tiring Partick rather than trying to force the issue against a well organised unit. A mature, composed display.

That said, we got lucky that Storey felt the need to knock the ball over the line when it was probably spinning in anyway. From where I was I’d say he was offside and it was the right decision, but we got away with it. We then capitalised on their lack of concentration to take the lead.

I thought Whittaker changed the game when he came on as he added more composure on the ball and played some excellent passes. It will be interesting to see if a midfield role is his long term future, would make sense as I don’t think he’s got the legs to play full back or wing back now, but he’s comfortable passing with both feet and reads the game well.

I thought McGregor was very good and I was impressed with Kamberi’s work rate, but my man of the match was Paul Hanlon - rock solid at the back, drove the team on, and scored a very good header.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2290 Post(s)
    Only thing I would disagree with was that the size of crowd was way more than decent was a tickets for troops game which boosted the crowd a little as well as the usual charity tickets, but couple of years ago that fixture would not have exceeded 8k

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2642 Post(s)
    Hibs were sluggish in the first half not winning enough 50/50's and second balls and there was a real lack of purpose and intensity about our play. I thought Thistle had the better of it during the first 45 mins. We are nowhere near as good a team without John McGinn....he drives the team forward and we had nobody else really willing to take on that role for much of the game. I was surprised Danny Swanson didn't start. First goal was crucial and we got a break when their goal was disallowed for offside. To be honest I think we would have been toiling for a point had their goal stood. As it was we went right up the park and great work from Martin Boyle provided the cross for the goal from Jamie McLaren. My MOTM Paul Hanlon scored an excellent second and when Devine was sent off it was all over. A good hard earned three points but Hibs looked disjointed for much of the game. Hopefully another three points on Tuesday night against one of our bogey teams Hamilton.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5220 Post(s)
    Cerny's save that got him injured was top drawer. It was a cracking effort from an otherwise quiet Dylan.

I thought Whittaker made a difference too. Not that it is anything other than a stop gap. He's technically better than Bartley and more progressive.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4485 Post(s)
    I don't need to say but I will! If I never see a first half like that again I'll be happy. Below average to crap and getting away with it was a positive! No man of the match to be seen.

The 'old guy' Whittaker brought about a stability in an otherwise rudderless midfield.

Effe and the new Ozzy Squirrel have a magic between them. Effe hits it too far and that little Scotch possum hitches up his britches, just makes it to the line to fire in a cross and it's a goal X2! Don't you just love them? They have the Morecambe and Wise (What was kinda Ant and Dec for our younger visitors) factor. Probably the best pair I saw today!

I was a little disappointed with Scott A. Given the absence of SJM I wanted him to take the game by the scruff of the neck and impose his talent. In the end he was alright but didn't grace us with his full array of skills.

17,500 was a decent crowd. I'm flexible, see you on Tuesday!

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1699 Post(s)
    Just finished the full game on Hibs TV. First half was a snooze fest, much better in the second half. I was screaming out for Swanson to replace Bartley as it wasn't working with him and Dylan. Lennon decides to go with Whittaker and shows why he's the manager. Wasn't quite sure about Thistles goal being ruled out, but we've had enough bad decisions go against us, so nice to have one go our way. Hanlon for me was MOM. Once it looked like Thistle came for a point, he became the extra man and bombed forward, goal was the icing on the cake. Definitely be nice to have McGinn back in the team, felt we missed him today.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2618 Post(s)
    Cheers Jock, Dylan should get MOTM for that wee dink over the Thistle player, $#@!in magic that was but Hanlon MOTM for me,

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2115 Post(s)
    Thanks for the report Jock
    until the sky turns green

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2851 Post(s)
    Think Bartleys booking means he’s on a 1 match ban....
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post

Agree. Roger just looked so much more ... aware of what was going on around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    Only thing I would disagree with was that the size of crowd was way more than decent was a tickets for troops game which boosted the crowd a little as well as the usual charity tickets, but couple of years ago that fixture would not have exceeded 8k
    Was thinking that too! How far have we come, that 17.500-odd is "decent"!
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7021 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Cerny's save that got him injured was top drawer. It was a cracking effort from an otherwise quiet Dylan.

I thought Whittaker made a difference too. Not that it is anything other than a stop gap. He's technically better than Bartley and more progressive.
    Dylan looked rusty. Hopefully firing on all cylinders tomorrow evening. Good OP.

A True Gadgie/Gadgess

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    Cheers for that, first chance I’ve had to read it since Saturday. Hopefully we actually get into 1st gear tomorrow and keep this unbeaten run going

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1801 Post(s)
    Hibs in the past would have settled for a draw, but the NL mentality that was never going to happen.

A very good three points but a shakey first half.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

A True Gadgie/Gadgess

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Family View Post
    Hibs in the past would have settled for a draw, but the NL mentality that was never going to happen.

A very good three points but a shakey first half.
    I agree any hibs team of the last decade at least would have at the best drawn that game more or likely losing it, but not this team under NL, as you said we’ve a completely different mentality now!

GoGO Back To Forum