Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    834 Post(s)

RIP Mark E Smith

Lead singer of The Fall died this morning. RIP
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lead singer of The Fall died this morning. RIP
    Sad news mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    834 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
    Sad news mate
    Indeed. I read a biography of him a few years ago. a very entertaining read.

32 studio albums is some output.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)
    Booooo.

Genuinely sad about this one. Love The Fall.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    Indeed. I read a biography of him a few years ago. a very entertaining read.

32 studio albums is some output.
    Renegade? It was fantastic, like listening to a guy tellin you stories in the pub!

Also read a good book of short stories based on songs of The Fall.

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    834 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
    Renegade? It was fantastic, like listening to a guy tellin you stories in the pub!

Also read a good book of short stories based on songs of The Fall.
    That's the one. Pretty much every story ends up with MES getting belligerent about something

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2571 Post(s)
    Sad news.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

'Good Evening - We Are The Fall Radge'

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I received the news at the game on Wednesday. Having seen them about thirty times in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle - many of them straight after work and straight back to work the next day...

Words fail me other than to say that I am gutted.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fieryjack View Post
    I received the news at the game on Wednesday. Having seen them about thirty times in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle - many of them straight after work and straight back to work the next day...

Words fail me other than to say that I am gutted.
    Hard to have words to sum up the life of a walking thesaurus of invention.

From 1985 to 1990 I clocked up the miles from Aberdeen to London to witness an almost always mighty Fall. My era was unquestionably the Brix years but during that time I discovered the raw power of all those singles and albums they'd already poured out in the first 8 years. I spent the best part of a decade imploring them or any other band that crossed my path to play Totally Wired but it was never to be.

When Brix left / was booted, I was initially excited at the return of Bramah and the prospect of that lo-fi magick but a trip to the Barrowlands for the Extricate tour left me feeling confused and cold despite an unprecedented airing of Fiery Jack - the first Fall song I'd ever heard played in a club (The Onion Cellar in Victoria Street).

I kept buying the albums Shift-Work and Code Selfish but to be honest the shock and awe was mostly gone except for flashes like Edinburgh Man. After that I didn't even bother listening to any of the albums, even when Brix came back. Several years later I visited my big sister who lived in New York and she told me how the week before she'd gone to see them play at Brownies. You know the story. Brutal.

I only ever got one more album at its time of release - The Real New Fall LP Formerly Country On The Click, as ever genius titles that sound like they could be a Philip K $#@! novel title. It had some good stuff but to be honest as I approached 40 I was finding Mark's appearance too disturbing as it reminded me too much of my mates from the days of the speed trials who had, or were soon to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Steve Hanley and the Brix's books got me back to listening to the Fall on heavy rotation but still exclusively the first 20 year! How mental is that. Half their productive years simply passed me by. So I guess that's the one good thing to come from yesterday's news. I finally got to hear Dr. Bucks Letter and Blindness because so many people where pointing out how he still had those moments of genius. So I guess the next few weeks is gonna have to be a journey through The Infotainment Scan to New Facts Emerge to find the gems I missed.

I did read Renegade last year as well. $#@!ing hilarious.

Well I'm Not Going Back To The Slow Life Because Every Step Is A Drag.

'Good Evening - We Are The Fall Radge'

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasco de gama View Post
    Hard to have words to sum up the life of a walking thesaurus of invention.

From 1985 to 1990 I clocked up the miles from Aberdeen to London to witness an almost always mighty Fall. My era was unquestionably the Brix years but during that time I discovered the raw power of all those singles and albums they'd already poured out in the first 8 years. I spent the best part of a decade imploring them or any other band that crossed my path to play Totally Wired but it was never to be.

When Brix left / was booted, I was initially excited at the return of Bramah and the prospect of that lo-fi magick but a trip to the Barrowlands for the Extricate tour left me feeling confused and cold despite an unprecedented airing of Fiery Jack - the first Fall song I'd ever heard played in a club (The Onion Cellar in Victoria Street).

I kept buying the albums Shift-Work and Code Selfish but to be honest the shock and awe was mostly gone except for flashes like Edinburgh Man. After that I didn't even bother listening to any of the albums, even when Brix came back. Several years later I visited my big sister who lived in New York and she told me how the week before she'd gone to see them play at Brownies. You know the story. Brutal.

I only ever got one more album at its time of release - The Real New Fall LP Formerly Country On The Click, as ever genius titles that sound like they could be a Philip K $#@! novel title. It had some good stuff but to be honest as I approached 40 I was finding Mark's appearance too disturbing as it reminded me too much of my mates from the days of the speed trials who had, or were soon to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Steve Hanley and the Brix's books got me back to listening to the Fall on heavy rotation but still exclusively the first 20 year! How mental is that. Half their productive years simply passed me by. So I guess that's the one good thing to come from yesterday's news. I finally got to hear Dr. Bucks Letter and Blindness because so many people where pointing out how he still had those moments of genius. So I guess the next few weeks is gonna have to be a journey through The Infotainment Scan to New Facts Emerge to find the gems I missed.

I did read Renegade last year as well. $#@!ing hilarious.

Well I'm Not Going Back To The Slow Life Because Every Step Is A Drag.
    That is a good read. The earlier stuff up until Extricate / Code Selfish / Shift Work / Infotainment is fantastic but IMO there are a few 'grey areas' all the way along with some gems like Unutterable and Marshall Suite.
    'Blindness' to me is the last true great track and you MUST invest in the 28 Peel Sessions box set

Copies of Buster Browns 04/10/83 and Country On The Click available on request

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fieryjack View Post
    That is a good read. The earlier stuff up until Extricate / Code Selfish / Shift Work / Infotainment is fantastic but IMO there are a few 'grey areas' all the way along with some gems like Unutterable and Marshall Suite.
    'Blindness' to me is the last true great track and you MUST invest in the 28 Peel Sessions box set

Copies of Buster Browns 04/10/83 and Country On The Click available on request
    Listened to Marshall Suite yesterday - obviously had heard Touch Sensitive before but the rest was new to me. Good stuff. The Unutterable has quite simply blown my mind. I was mostly listening to Hip Hop, Jazz(!), and novelty rock in 2000 so I guess that's how it went by me completely. I can even recall friends going to see them - I think at The Music Box around this time. I would loved to have experienced tracks like Dr Bucks Letter and Hot Runes live in such a tight venue as that. Oh well.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2011 Post(s)
    When Saturday Comes - From the archive ~ Mark E Smith interview: So you call yourself a football fan?

met MES very briefly once when I worked at the Queens Hall around 1997 and they played with Elastica supporting, he went AWOL before gig and the ushers were sent on a search party of local boozers before he appeared to do a short set which I watched.

stopped the fairly nippy general manager of the venue from ejecting the late Paul Reekie for having a quick lie down on the floor in the bar before the gig that night as I recognised him from the east terracing.
    until the sky turns green

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    When Saturday Comes - From the archive ~ Mark E Smith interview: So you call yourself a football fan?

met MES very briefly once when I worked at the Queens Hall around 1997 and they played with Elastica supporting, he went AWOL before gig and the ushers were sent on a search party of local boozers before he appeared to do a short set which I watched.

stopped the fairly nippy general manager of the venue from ejecting the late Paul Reekie for having a quick lie down on the floor in the bar before the gig that night as I recognised him from the east terracing.

Great interview and obviously a real football fan as opposed to some who use it as a fashionable vehicle.

GoGO Back To Forum