vCash
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3464 Post(s)

Just Back - Xmas Report Card says "Solid, but could do better"

After a rough week, football-wise – I’m still wondering how we contrived to chuck that game against the Huns, and the less said about the Sheep game, the better – the time came around to return to more “standard” league business: v Ross County, at Easter Road, 3pm on a Saturday.

That said, this fixture had an inevitably festive feel, not least because my dad is back from the U.S. for Chrimbo. Priority #1: attend the Leith San Siro. It’s about as close as we get to a Xmas church visit. Further to that, one of our number – better known as THUG 340 to those on the Porty Hibs Hampden bus on 21.05.16 – has just secured a new job after a difficult year or so on that front.

So there was a pleasingly jaunty feel to proceedings as we congregated as per in the Hoppy for our pre-match lubrications; everything was a bit end-of-termy. If Christmas means anything special for me, it’s that wee feeling that creeps in, where you kinda notice anew the folk in your life who you normally take for granted. So over a couple of beers with our lads and laddies, who together have seen the lows and experienced the indescribable highs of following Hibernian FC, I took a wee moment to smile to myself and appreciate this motley crew, and see my dad enjoy the kind of banter he just doesnae get out there in Texas.

However – it’s not end-of-term yet for those who wear the jerseys. And if we were giving out a report card, for my money, it’d be a mixed bag:

FC, Hibernian – a solid year. Occasionally exceptional, but prone to a lack of concentration. Does not always produce the results it is capable of. Can and must do better. Hates Hertz, though, and shows it, so ‘B’ rather than ‘B minus’ for that reason alone.

I’m not going to single any players out, but the general feeling on the way round to ER was that a strong showing in the next two games could really put a gloss on that report.

Well then – some of our lot had indeed taken their homework seriously today.

We began with the customary sand wedge kick-off – do we think we are gonnae get a line out or something? I find it inexplicable.

We were, though, on the front foot from the off, with Boyle looking dangerous. However, we have one serious problem that requires highlighting: our set piece delivery is quite simply stinking. Are we coaching this? The amount of opportunities we waste is quite simply staggering.

Of course, we also contrived to perpetrate the same old defensive nightmare, and throw in one goal of a start to any team that comes to ER these days. Tiresome. Efe – I love you, and you are brilliant to watch, but you can’t keep taking wee naps during games.

Let’s run through the team:

Rocky: suspect again at the near post. A little worrying of late – he is not inspiring confidence in front of him.
    Lewis: aye, his position “needs addressed” as per. Well, for me, if all the other players would turn in his consistency of performance, we’d win the league. A MOM contender, even with only one foot.
    Efe: I love watching him, except when I’m not watching him because my hands are over my eyes…
    Paul: Again, close to MOM, and one of our more potent attacking threats of late – says it all, really.
    Daz: quiet, and lost more headers than I’m used to seeing. On the road back though, and rock hard.
    SJM: An absolute stinker, for me. Looked like he’d never seen a football at times, lost possession, passed the ball out of play, looked … lost. Hype got to him?
    McGeouch: My MOM. The boy is just class on the ball, but today showed that he can dig in, win the ball, and lead from the front. A superb footballer, and my dad’s pick also.
    Barker: Needs a goal so badly. Would like to see him catch fire if he did score. Laid on the second, but also stood watching a ball that was there to be won in the box – frustrating and sublime in equal measure.
    Stokes: HIYA PAL. He was officially “back” today. I’m only not giving him MOM because I feel like he should be giving us this type of performance more often. Dragged us back into the game second half though, and his through ball for Martyin Boyle was utterly sumptuous. More please, Tony – against Hertz would be good.
    Shaw: looked lost for large parts of the game, but has potential. Undecided here.
    Boyle: I love this guy. Another MOM contender. Like Barker, but with purpose, desire, heart, and perseverance. HAS TO SCORE WHEN ONE ON ONE THOUGH. Jesus Mary and Joseph. An 7 or 8/10 every week though. Other players could take note.

Overall, for once we got what we deserved. We look worryingly shaky at the back, and maddeningly inconsistent up front. Three points though, so pass marks.

Time to put the Gorgie mutants back in their box AGAIN now.

All that remains, then, is to wish all you Bouncers, both here in Embra and also those of you who tune in for Just Backs in the far reaches of the globe, a very Merry Christmas. I want to especially wish @GORDONSMITH7 and his family the very, very best, at what I’m sure is a difficult time – I’m sure I speak for us all when I say that Shaun is very prominent in our thoughts at this time of year, and indeed I hope to see a few Bouncers when I attempt to wheeze my way around a football pitch for the first time in a LONG time on Hogmanay, for the match in his honour.

GGTTH, Bouncers; and Live Forever, Shaun.x

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies for the delay, by the way, but my dad and uncle are both back from overseas - a couple of post-match jars was obligatory.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Nutty Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)
    I liked the look of shaw today good touch and hold up play was good , although should have been a bit more selfish at times and had a shot.
    Sjm not happening for him at the moment I would have at least had slivka replace him the last 20.
    Today.it was obvious there was a big gap at times between midfield and the forward line and someone playing in the hole would have been beneficial.
    Stokes different level at times.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5824 Post(s)
    Aggie, that was brilliant, thank you. With you on Dylan and Paul, agin you on Boyle and Ollie.

Merry Christmas my man, good work fellah.
    nil satis nisi optimum

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3840 Post(s)
    I thought Shaw put in a decent game, chased stuff and tracked back when he did have to, looked to turn a players and held the ball well when given.
    He's obviously very raw but I think that was a decent day for him, with a goal and a celebration to match.

Fully agree with Dylan being best on show today though. 3 long balls over the top leaving players going on through, lots of wee balls inside the fullbacks, clever turns, tackling and drawing smart fouls.
    Need to get him on a longer deal.

Agree on Mcginn too, day to forget for sure.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Cheers aggie, good honest report and you can't say fairer than that. Will be interested to see what others who were there made of it, esp the bits you weren't one way or the other on.

Me, I hope this is a wee step back towards improvement.
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2537 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After a rough week, football-wise – I’m still wondering how we contrived to chuck that game against the Huns, and the less said about the Sheep game, the better – the time came around to return to more “standard” league business: v Ross County, at Easter Road, 3pm on a Saturday.

That said, this fixture had an inevitably festive feel, not least because my dad is back from the U.S. for Chrimbo. Priority #1: attend the Leith San Siro. It’s about as close as we get to a Xmas church visit. Further to that, one of our number – better known as THUG 340 to those on the Porty Hibs Hampden bus on 21.05.16 – has just secured a new job after a difficult year or so on that front.

So there was a pleasingly jaunty feel to proceedings as we congregated as per in the Hoppy for our pre-match lubrications; everything was a bit end-of-termy. If Christmas means anything special for me, it’s that wee feeling that creeps in, where you kinda notice anew the folk in your life who you normally take for granted. So over a couple of beers with our lads and laddies, who together have seen the lows and experienced the indescribable highs of following Hibernian FC, I took a wee moment to smile to myself and appreciate this motley crew, and see my dad enjoy the kind of banter he just doesnae get out there in Texas.

However – it’s not end-of-term yet for those who wear the jerseys. And if we were giving out a report card, for my money, it’d be a mixed bag:

FC, Hibernian – a solid year. Occasionally exceptional, but prone to a lack of concentration. Does not always produce the results it is capable of. Can and must do better. Hates Hertz, though, and shows it, so ‘B’ rather than ‘B minus’ for that reason alone.

I’m not going to single any players out, but the general feeling on the way round to ER was that a strong showing in the next two games could really put a gloss on that report.

Well then – some of our lot had indeed taken their homework seriously today.

We began with the customary sand wedge kick-off – do we think we are gonnae get a line out or something? I find it inexplicable.

We were, though, on the front foot from the off, with Boyle looking dangerous. However, we have one serious problem that requires highlighting: our set piece delivery is quite simply stinking. Are we coaching this? The amount of opportunities we waste is quite simply staggering.

Of course, we also contrived to perpetrate the same old defensive nightmare, and throw in one goal of a start to any team that comes to ER these days. Tiresome. Efe – I love you, and you are brilliant to watch, but you can’t keep taking wee naps during games.

Let’s run through the team:

Rocky: suspect again at the near post. A little worrying of late – he is not inspiring confidence in front of him.
    Lewis: aye, his position “needs addressed” as per. Well, for me, if all the other players would turn in his consistency of performance, we’d win the league. A MOM contender, even with only one foot.
    Efe: I love watching him, except when I’m not watching him because my hands are over my eyes…
    Paul: Again, close to MOM, and one of our more potent attacking threats of late – says it all, really.
    Daz: quiet, and lost more headers than I’m used to seeing. On the road back though, and rock hard.
    SJM: An absolute stinker, for me. Looked like he’d never seen a football at times, lost possession, passed the ball out of play, looked … lost. Hype got to him?
    McGeouch: My MOM. The boy is just class on the ball, but today showed that he can dig in, win the ball, and lead from the front. A superb footballer, and my dad’s pick also.
    Barker: Needs a goal so badly. Would like to see him catch fire if he did score. Laid on the second, but also stood watching a ball that was there to be won in the box – frustrating and sublime in equal measure.
    Stokes: HIYA PAL. He was officially “back” today. I’m only not giving him MOM because I feel like he should be giving us this type of performance more often. Dragged us back into the game second half though, and his through ball for Martyin Boyle was utterly sumptuous. More please, Tony – against Hertz would be good.
    Shaw: looked lost for large parts of the game, but has potential. Undecided here.
    Boyle: I love this guy. Another MOM contender. Like Barker, but with purpose, desire, heart, and perseverance. HAS TO SCORE WHEN ONE ON ONE THOUGH. Jesus Mary and Joseph. An 7 or 8/10 every week though. Other players could take note.

Overall, for once we got what we deserved. We look worryingly shaky at the back, and maddeningly inconsistent up front. Three points though, so pass marks.

Time to put the Gorgie mutants back in their box AGAIN now.

All that remains, then, is to wish all you Bouncers, both here in Embra and also those of you who tune in for Just Backs in the far reaches of the globe, a very Merry Christmas. I want to especially wish @GORDONSMITH7 and his family the very, very best, at what I’m sure is a difficult time – I’m sure I speak for us all when I say that Shaun is very prominent in our thoughts at this time of year, and indeed I hope to see a few Bouncers when I attempt to wheeze my way around a football pitch for the first time in a LONG time on Hogmanay, for the match in his honour.

GGTTH, Bouncers; and Live Forever, Shaun.x

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies for the delay, by the way, but my dad and uncle are both back from overseas - a couple of post-match jars was obligatory.
    Bravo Aggie, bravo Well done on your report. We got there eventually today but as you say , we need tae stop giving the away team the advantage by letting them score first.
    By the way, I wis only joshin yi when I posted that thread mate,
    signed: sillybilly

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2215 Post(s)
    Thanks Aggie, good report and can't argue with much of it. To be honest I won't argue with anything because I saw pretty much what you did, and what I didn't was probably do do with the seeming apathy of the crowd and the need for a win under any circumstance. The crowd (i'm in singing section) was pretty subdued..not surprising after recent results, Christmas shopping and anticipation of what might or might not be come Wednesday!

I also love Efe..but boy, I can see why he gave sellik supporters nightmares!

Reasons why I'll never do "just backs"

I did think Stokes came into the game but at time wasn't quite there...but in his defense some of the balls to him were rubbish!
    I didn't even notice Oli Shaw was on the field until the second half!

I am happy today

A. Because Hibs won
    B/ The rangers got beat
    C. Hearts didn't win
    D. Despite thinking I lost, I actually got a coupon up for the 2nd week in a row

I love Lewis

I wish for Christmas...

Hibs sign someone who can deliver a cross from corners

We learn to figure out how to take kick offs

We stop all the losing silly goals the very first attack any opposition team have on us!

I took my grandson today..the one I have pulled away from the evil influence his other granddad and family have had on him with the obsession for the team in jobby maroon. I hope he meets likemided Hibbies when he moves to Firrhill secondary school

I am at home having rum and beer at low cost than the pubs charge..however I am alone...thank goodness for fb chat and the bounce

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Cheers aggie ...
    Great report, I feel that we need a bit more erchancy at times. .its okay trying to keep posetion, but do something with the ball. .
    Anyhow puddle drinker's next. .
    Onwards and upwards. .GGTTH
    Merry Christmas bouncers. ...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3198 Post(s)
    Due to outrageous hangover after works night out i never msde the game today......
    So cheers Aggie.
    A big 3 points, good to hear Dylan and Stokes on top form.
    And shaw scoring the winner.
    GGTTH

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6720 Post(s)
    Cheers for the report @aggie. Much appreciated by those of us who can't get to games now.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Thanks mate, great little report and it puts some meat on the bones for some of us less fortunate to live in England 😊

I’m glad Stokes is coming into a game especially with the Mutants up next, I’m thinking Barker is gonna break his duck against them though and gonna put my money where my mouth is 3-1 Hibs 👍🏻
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2531 Post(s)
    Good report.

Despite it being a scrappy game badly affected by the windy conditions, Hibs thoroughly deserved to win. I thought we were never going to get that second goal though. Another $#@!ty goal conceded and it was just as well Stokesy got that equaliser when he did. Too many chances yet again going abegging and one or two shaky moments at the back. Marciano appears to have lost some confidence and it's affecting the cohesion of the back four which is a concern for Wednesday. Ambrose does OK at right-back but I would much rather see him back in central defence. Stokes was a class apart today...he seemed up for it, worked hard and provided some real moments of genuine class as well as a goal. Barker and Boyle were a real handful and both have different qualities as wingers which give us a nice balance, although it does leave us looking a bit short in midfield being a player down. I'm not convinced we should play with two wingers at Tynecastle on Wednesday. John McGinn had a poor game I hope it's not transfer speculation which is affecting him. Shaw was credited with the second goal but it looked like an OG to me. I did think Oli had a good game. He should have shot for goal instead of passing to Stokes in the first half, but that will come.

Great three points today. Our home form hasn't really been all that good this season so it was good to pick up another valuable win.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6462 Post(s)
    Good work Aggie.

Nearly as good a performance as Stokesie

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    Aggie, pal, really appreciate you providing this Just Back - especially with your auld fella returning and a celebration in order after the game.

A fine report for us folks in Englandshire and beyond. Thank you, mate.

Heavenly Radge and all round bampot! BVilleggiante's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    As an American I apologize your father has to live in Texas.

Norwegian Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Thanks Aggie for a great just back, pretty much how I saw it as well, I thought Efe strolled it and can't remember any real "efe" moments.

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    576 Post(s)
    Superb Just Back thanks. I was driving in deepest Lancashire when I heard we'd won 2-1.

Gutted I won't be there Weds, going to the screening at Easter Road. Even a mate at who is a season ticket holder didnae get a ticket.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    Superb Just Back thanks. I was driving in deepest Lancashire when I heard we'd won 2-1.

Gutted I won't be there Weds, going to the screening at Easter Road. Even a mate at who is a season ticket holder didnae get a ticket.
    Lots of us in the same boat!
    GGTTH

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3464 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
    As an American I apologize your father has to live in Texas.
    Ken! Fcukin weird place.

Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post

Me neither bud - a good samaritan could have got me one for myself, but I want to be with my dad and uncle as we are rarely all together. I'm okay with it, let's the rest of us just look forward to pubs erupting when we put them to the sword!

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Micro$oft Hating Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    757 Post(s)
    I was at the game and I thought Hibs were frustratingly pedestrian at times. Midfield were too slow getting into the opposition's half, a real lack of urgency. Ross County rarely looked threatening and we should have buried them.
    Charlie don't surf !

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4323 Post(s)
    In other news.

When I was in the pub last night I was half watching the Aston Villa Sheffield United game and the name Donaldson came up and a thought 'Nah! That's not him'

It wiz, it was our Clayton Donaldson scoring 2 decent goals in a 2 all draw. He was looking good too, big strapping laddie!
    Space to let

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3840 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    In other news.

When I was in the pub last night I was half watching the Aston Villa Sheffield United game and the name Donaldson came up and a thought 'Nah! That's not him'

It wiz, it was our Clayton Donaldson scoring 2 decent goals in a 2 all draw. He was looking good too, big strapping laddie!
    He done well before coming to us, then done well again after leaving us. Forged himself a career moving up the league's. Not a bad player at all tbh
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    In other news.When I was in the pub last night I was half watching the Aston Villa Sheffield United game and the name Donaldson came up and a thought 'Nah! That's not him'It wiz, it was our Clayton Donaldson scoring 2 decent goals in a 2 all draw. He was looking good too, big strapping laddie!
    The Don has started twice and scored a brace both times. His hamstrings are like Mint Cracknel so has to be used sparingly.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1953 Post(s)
    Good report thanks aggie
    until the sky turns green

Baldy radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    800 Post(s)
    great report @aggie
    I thought Dylan was brilliant throughout,his vision for a pass brilliant.
    Stevenson just never lets you down and if only the Squirrel could finish....
    Still rough around the edges but Shaw looks a player
    And Stokes was outstanding

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4950 Post(s)
    Thanks @aggie excellent read. Merry Christmas Buddy.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4536 Post(s)
    I cannae see any report in the first post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1620 Post(s)
    Trying refreshing the thread?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4950 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post

Upgrade tapatalk?

Hibs are standing on the brink of history...
    They've only gone and done it..
    They've only gone and won The Scottish Cup.

Bounce Hibs Ladies Player Sponsorship

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post

And you lost at Pin The Tail on The Donkey too.

GoGO Back To Forum