vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2613 Post(s)

Your first Hibs v Old Rangers match

Should probably have started this thread in the run up to Wednesday nights game...what was your first Hibs v Huns game you attended ?

My dad wouldn't take me to a Hibs v huns game for quite a few years because of the hooliganism at the games so thankfully I missed the game in 1975 when they clinched the league title at Easter Road drawing 1-1 with Hibs with ex-hib Colin Stein scoring their goal. 38,000 attended that game btw. Hibs finished second that season, just seven points behind them. No the first Hibs v old rangers game I was taken to was around 75/76 and Hibs won 2-1 with Paddy Stanton scoring both goals from headers. Rangers got a goal back near the end but Hibs were comfortable winners. It turned out that my dad was right about the trouble...constant fighting on the east terracing, bottles flying, arrests galore...nae segregation of course. The huns used to bring through about 15,000 at that time.

Your first Hibs v Huns game attended ?
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5125 Post(s)
    Im trying to remember but Im not certain. We, too, were not allowed to go to games against them when younger. It was some time in my teens. My dad was hit in the face by a flying glass bottle at a game between the two clubs in the 1960s and it coloured his decision as to us not going as primary school kids.

Going to have to dig out old programmes to see if i can work it out. Would be late 70s/early 80s.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4862 Post(s)
    Whatever the first home game between them was in 2002.

Radgie, Gadgie, Onion Badgie Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    I share the not being allowed to go these games more than against any other team. What does that tell us about how the huns are viewed by decent parents, a lot of whom (mine included) who aren't really into football.

My first was when I was 12 and it was the Keef Keef Keef 1991 LC semi final. A good start!

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I share the not being allowed to go these games more than against any other team. What does that tell us about how the huns are viewed by decent parents, a lot of whom (mine included) who aren't really into football.

My first was when I was 12 and it was the Keef Keef Keef 1991 LC semi final. A good start!
    Seem to remember discussing said match with you the next day in the school dinner hall!

First time I saw us play them would have been about autumn 1990. I was a ball boy at the time and was posted behind the goals at the Dunbar end. There were some lads (younger than me) at the old perimeter fence giving me dogs’ abuse all game. Goram was in goal for us and they gave him pelters too.

For some reason, I remember them singing a song about being ‘proud to be a proddy’.

P

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    No idea of mine but I think my wee boys was the first game of the new east opening day of the season

Radgie, Gadgie, Onion Badgie Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBarry View Post
    Seem to remember discussing said match with you the next day in the school dinner hall!

First time I saw us play them would have been about autumn 1990. I was a ball boy at the time and was posted behind the goals at the Dunbar end. There were some lads (younger than me) at the old perimeter fence giving me dogs’ abuse all game. Goram was in goal for us and they gave him pelters too.

For some reason, I remember them singing a song about being ‘proud to be a proddy’.

P
    Part of the Auggies Hibee Resistance! Thankfully our whole time at school was the blissful 'no cups in Gorgie' glory years!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)
    Midweek game early in the '87 season. Won 1-0 with a John Collins penalty.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6659 Post(s)

First time I saw us play them would have been about autumn 1990. I was a ball boy at the time and was posted behind the goals at the Dunbar end. There were some lads (younger than me) at the old perimeter fence giving me dogs’ abuse all game.
    That would be when you were working as a school janny.
    Not many ball boys in their thirties so it's hardly surprising you got a bit of stick.

Pedantic Fact Hunting Radge Grandad

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Should probably have started this thread in the run up to Wednesday nights game...what was your first Hibs v Huns game you attended ?

My dad wouldn't take me to a Hibs v huns game for quite a few years because of the hooliganism at the games so thankfully I missed the game in 1975 when they clinched the league title at Easter Road drawing 1-1 with Hibs with ex-hib Colin Stein scoring their goal. 38,000 attended that game btw. Hibs finished second that season, just seven points behind them. No the first Hibs v old rangers game I was taken to was around 75/76 and Hibs won 2-1 with Paddy Stanton scoring both goals from headers. Rangers got a goal back near the end but Hibs were comfortable winners. It turned out that my dad was right about the trouble...constant fighting on the east terracing, bottles flying, arrests galore...nae segregation of course. The huns used to bring through about 15,000 at that time.

Your first Hibs v Huns game attended ?
    Would be late 60’s early 70’s. My mum
    and dad used to keep me in the house when the huns were in town as they used to smash the place up (and piss in our stair in Sloan st - before we installed a latch key). Buses used to park in our street. For some reason I was allowed out this Saturday and as you did when you were wee I went up to the ground for a lift over (Olympic weightlifting champion couldn’t manage that feat these days). Was on east terracing (no segregation) when drunken violence broke out. I hadn’t seen anything like it in my young life. Several gers fans decided to take on all comers and two of them had open cutthroat razors. Inevitably there formed a circle around them as they tried to slash anything that came within reach. Cops were
    quickly on scene and the offenders tried to melt into the crowd unsuccessfully and were huckled. Remember nowt about the game but it gave me an insight into “ra peepul “ that has stayed with me to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " This has to be said about Rangers, as a Scottish Football club they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist ". - Ian Archer

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    601 Post(s)
    My first game against the Huns was in the 1976/77 League cup at Easter Road. The atmosphere was incredible, before seating and segregation! The stadium erupted when the much maligned Ally Scott(remember him) equalised. It was in the same contest that we beat St Johnstone by an incredible 9-2 scoreline. I don't really remember too much else about it.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Part of the Auggies Hibee Resistance! Thankfully our whole time at school was the blissful 'no cups in Gorgie' glory years!
    Indeed. Incredible that there were so few Hibbies amongst us. At least there was exactly zero rangers fans!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    That would be when you were working as a school janny.
    Not many ball boys in their thirties so it's hardly surprising you got a bit of stick.

Haha! To be fair, I had competition from the likes of Graeme and Greg Miller- those ballboys even got a game in the first XI!

P

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    Haha! To be fair, I had competition from the likes of Graeme and Greg Miller- those ballboys even got a game in the first XI!

P
    Haha, I was ballboy at Hibs around 92/93 along with Ian Murray. Dunbar end was always the short straw, on the plus side you could make yourself a few quid with all the chucked coinage
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    Haha, I was ballboy at Hibs around 92/93 along with Ian Murray. Dunbar end was always the short straw, on the plus side you could make yourself a few quid with all the chucked coinage
    We must have crossed paths Kev. I finished up that season. Ian had subbed in for his older brother (Gordon?) during that time.

Something odd that has come back to me: there were two brothers who were ball boys around that time. They were nephews of Alan Lawrence, who played for the (ahem) robust Airdrie team of that era. I felt quite sorry for the young lads as their Uncle took all sorts of stick for being associated with such a horrible team.

P

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    We must have crossed paths Kev. I finished up that season. Ian had subbed in for his older brother (Gordon?) during that time.

Something odd that has come back to me: there were two brothers who were ball boys around that time. They were nephews of Alan Lawrence, who played for the (ahem) robust Airdrie team of that era. I felt quite sorry for the young lads as their Uncle took all sorts of stick for being associated with such a horrible team.

P
    We must have! I can only really remember Ian Murray, another lad called Tucker(?!) and a “senior” ballboy called Jason (I think!) And Willie McEwan obviously. The barry bit was getting your free pie and calypso drink at half time!
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    691 Post(s)

Your first Hibs v Old Rangers match

I’m thinking my first game against them was actually early eighties either during Pat Stanton’s management or the John Blackley era. I came up on the train from London in the morning with a bunch of other London hibees. It was cold day and ended a disappointing draw with them levelling late in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    We must have! I can only really remember Ian Murray, another lad called Tucker(?!) and a “senior” ballboy called Jason (I think!) And Willie McEwan obviously. The barry bit was getting your free pie and calypso drink at half time!
    I remember all of those names. I think ‘Tucker’ went on to work at the club in some capacity.

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1750 Post(s)
    Last game of 84-85. Hibs won 1-0 Paul Kane scored and it was the last game I believe with the uncovered east terrace. About 7000 in attendance and the casuals went at it in the ground

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6957 Post(s)
    Centre stand around 1977/1978. I had a Rangers scarf on... Only game I went to as a fan of theirs. Thankfully my Dad saved me in 1981. As a Hibby first game was 2-2 Nov 1984. Two fully grown Hun pricks attacked me aged 11 in the old North Stand.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    556 Post(s)
    Flash forward a few years to 1997 and there was hardly any Jambos in the class of 1997-2002 at Auggies, certainly mair Hibs anyway.

My first game against Rangers was around 1992. I mind a last minute goal for them meant a swift exit from the Cooshed

I'll dig oot the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    '93 League Cup Final at Parkhead,McCoist came on as sub scored an overhead kick to win it ****

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1788 Post(s)
    Souness kick on McCluskey nearly caused a riot that day!! Well inside the ground anyway.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1666 Post(s)
    October 1964. Not sure how many folk who saw Hibs beating Real Madrid on the Wednesday and then the Hundogs 2-4 at Ibrox, who were Champions, are still around.
    Went on a bus with my Dad fae Blackfriars Street/Cowgate. McKinley's, McCallum's, Townsley's et all. Even as a mere 10 year old, I felt no fear going through there with these hard as $#@! Hibernians around me.

BIG G
    St. Patrick's a Progressive Supporters Branch

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2089 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post
    October 1964. Not sure how many folk who saw Hibs beating Real Madrid on the Wednesday and then the Hundogs 2-4 at Ibrox, who were Champions, are still around.
    Went on a bus with my Dad fae Blackfriars Street/Cowgate. McKinley's, McCallum's, Townsley's et all. Even as a mere 10 year old, I felt no fear going through there with these hard as $#@! Hibernians around me.

BIG G
    My dad was at both those games

Did Stein leave not long after?
    until the sky turns green

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1666 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    My dad was at both those games

Did Stein leave not long after?
    Early the next year amigo.

BIG G
    St. Patrick's a Progressive Supporters Branch

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Semi final of the Skoll cup, Keith, Keith, Keith, Keith scored a delightful header past a stranded Goram, it was a proper giant killing game as ze Huns hud a quality team back then.
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2004 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colchester Hibs View Post
    Semi final of the Skoll cup, Keith, Keith, Keith, Keith scored a delightful header past a stranded Goram, it was a proper giant killing game as ze Huns hud a quality team back then.
    Mightve been mine too...can't remember one before then
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

metaller radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I cannot remember if it was 1986 or 1987? It was around that time it was also at easter road raining (i remember it well as it was my first big game) and Gordon Rae scored a magnificent diving header I'm not sure if we won the match but it was even on the cover of next home programme

GoGO Back To Forum