Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've GOT to sort out the goalscoring problem.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    989 Post(s)

We've GOT to sort out the goalscoring problem.

The reality is that we need to put aside the laughably blatant penalty that we didn’t get (given that I think “Rangers” should also have gotten one), and accept that last night’s defeat was simply the latest trio of dropped points in a league season that continues to stutter in front of goal.

We absolutely need a striker in January because our current crop simply aren’t performing to the standards required. Hibs absolutely dominated that match last night, to the point where even a glaikit opposing manager accepted that his tribute act were ‘fortuitous’ to get away from Easter Road with a win, but this is a broken record; our season has been blighted to this point by top class performances that have been accompanied by second rate goal returns for our dominance. We started the season flying, but the rubber has met the road when better teams that don’t gift chances away so haphazardly provide the opposition. We should have been out of sight within thirty minutes of last night’s game, yet a calamitous turnaround saw us lose to the most despicable shower of $#@!s I’ve ever seen assembled.

$#@! them.

I like Simon Murray, but I think he’s a substitution rather than a starter. Just not clinical enough for my money.

Oli Shaw has potential, but he’s not a main man yet and we should nurture his development rather than force it.

Anthony Stokes just hasn’t performed. He’s a legend at the club, but he’s lived on that reputation in my view.

I can’t say anything about Matulevicius because I’ve never seen him play. Does he actually exist in this reality?

Our season is going to end in a horrible rut of “what if?” if we don’t get the finger out in January and find someone to start ramming the ball into the onion basket. For all the talents of McGinn or McGeouch, for all the incision of Boyle (what a player that lad has turned out to be), or for all the guts we’ve shown in some stirring comebacks, we’re destined for a couple of cup runs and mid-table if we don’t address this glaring problem. Our team, and squad, is so much better than that, and the year will feel like a horrible let down if we don’t capitalise on how good we actually are.

So… Name your pick.

Who do you think is available, would do the deal to come to Hibs, and would deliver?

For me, it’s got to be Adam Rooney. He doesn’t look like a first-choice at Pittodrie anymore, that won’t suit him, and he absolutely fits the bill while largely being in our price range.

And if it’s not Rooney, then it really needs to be someone like him. We can’t go on letting teams get away with points when we dominate matches.

Particularly matches like last night.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reality is that we need to put aside the laughably blatant penalty that we didn’t get (given that I think “Rangers” should also have gotten one), and accept that last night’s defeat was simply the latest trio of dropped points in a league season that continues to stutter in front of goal.

We absolutely need a striker in January because our current crop simply aren’t performing to the standards required. Hibs absolutely dominated that match last night, to the point where even a glaikit opposing manager accepted that his tribute act were ‘fortuitous’ to get away from Easter Road with a win, but this is a broken record; our season has been blighted to this point by top class performances that have been accompanied by second rate goal returns for our dominance. We started the season flying, but the rubber has met the road when better teams that don’t gift chances away so haphazardly provide the opposition. We should have been out of sight within thirty minutes of last night’s game, yet a calamitous turnaround saw us lose to the most despicable shower of $#@!s I’ve ever seen assembled.

$#@! them.

I like Simon Murray, but I think he’s a substitution rather than a starter. Just not clinical enough for my money.

Oli Shaw has potential, but he’s not a main man yet and we should nurture his development rather than force it.

Anthony Stokes just hasn’t performed. He’s a legend at the club, but he’s lived on that reputation in my view.

I can’t say anything about Matulevicius because I’ve never seen him play. Does he actually exist in this reality?

Our season is going to end in a horrible rut of “what if?” if we don’t get the finger out in January and find someone to start ramming the ball into the onion basket. For all the talents of McGinn or McGeouch, for all the incision of Boyle (what a player that lad has turned out to be), or for all the guts we’ve shown in some stirring comebacks, we’re destined for a couple of cup runs and mid-table if we don’t address this glaring problem. Our team, and squad, is so much better than that, and the year will feel like a horrible let down if we don’t capitalise on how good we actually are.

So… Name your pick.

Who do you think is available, would do the deal to come to Hibs, and would deliver?

For me, it’s got to be Adam Rooney. He doesn’t look like a first-choice at Pittodrie anymore, that won’t suit him, and he absolutely fits the bill while largely being in our price range.

And if it’s not Rooney, then it really needs to be someone like him. We can’t go on letting teams get away with points when we dominate matches.

Particularly matches like last night.
    The reality is that that January Window is not a good time to sign players - anyone under contract will cost money, and anyone out of contract will either be in demand (and therefore command a high wage) or have not played for months and be a total gamble.

Adam Rooney has another 18 months to run on his deal which we probably can’t afford to improve (match at best), Aberdeen will view us as a competitor so won’t be willing to sell.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    Best we can hope for is another Brandon barker - I wonder if Man City have a teenage striking prodigy they are looking to loan out

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    989 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post
    The reality is that that January Window is not a good time to sign players...
    Yep. But our season runs the risk of petering out if we don't act, given that we're only six points ahead of an extremely poor Hearts team that we're individually and collectively much better than.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    873 Post(s)
    Jason back on loan would be the sensible bet. He’s not even making the bench for Forrest just now.

I also read that Nadir Ciftci is probably getting sent back to Smeltic after failing to impress at Plymouth on loan. So that’s another option.

We need something certainly. Murray is ok, Oli is for the future and Stokes is finished.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3559 Post(s)
    We need a classic number 9. A younger Grant Holt, if you will. As others have said, they come at a premium, especially in January.

Rooney would be perfect, but I doubt we could get him.

Go shopping in the league below, perhaps? Nae idea who for, mind you.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    Whilst I totally agree with the OP, we are going to find it extremely difficult to find a goalscoring striker of the standard we require during the January window. Adam Rooney is on a long contract and there is no way that Aberdeen are going to sell him to Hibs half way through a season. What annoys me is that this goalscoring problem should have been properly addressed last summer. We knew Holt and Cummings were leaving so we should have had similar replacements lined up. Instead we gambled a lot of money on the legend that is Anthony Stokes who is a class player but plays when he feels like it and doesn't do his damage in the box, and brought in Simon Murray who I like as a striker but struggles against the better teams in this league. I can see Murray improving steadily under Lennon in the same way as Martin Boyle has. Oli Shaw has great potential but needs to be eased in gradually. Big Dave has clearly not impressed in training and it would be no surprise to see him go in January. It goes without saying but our otherwise class midfield players do not score anything like enough, but I am beginning to sound like a stuck record with regards to that.

We needed to source a natural goalscorer last summer from somewhere and a big target man to replace Cummings and Holt. Now I know everybody is going to say that they cost a lot of money and off the shelf strikers of the standard we are looking for generally do, but how do Motherwell manage to get players like Louis Moult in ?, and Ross County manage to get strikers like Liam Boyce in ?...answer, they scout them from the lower leagues through good contacts and offer them decent incentives to come and play in Scotland. We really have to improve on this side of the recruitment in the future. Goalscoring strikers cost money because these are the players who win you games.

Anyway...suggestions. Kris Doolan would be my realistic suggestion although again struggling Partick Thistle would be reluctant to allow such a prolific striker to go, although I notice he has been on the bench recently for them. He has scored over 100 SPL goals for Thistle which is some achievement and that is the sort of within our range striker we could realistically sign who is known to the fans. Either that or its a a loan deal from England...another Barker type deal or something like that. It will be interesting to see if the Niall McGinn rumour comes to fruition. A very good player but another wide player..is that what we need ?
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Doolan is suffering with injury and fitness problems, not something we need on board at this moment.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eckmf View Post
    Dolan is suffering with injury and fitness problems, not something we need on board at this moment.
    Fair enough..I was unaware of that.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    We’re conceding too many / 4 at home in last two games. No amount of strikers are going to solve that.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    We’re conceding too many / 4 at home in last two games. No amount of strikers are going to solve that.
    Yes. Was going to say much the same thing. We lost because of poor, very poor individual defensive errors.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    I wonder why that is though ?..

Why do we look more solid defensively in away matches ?

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1229 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post

I neither have the skill or patience to get the figures up, but our premier league home record over the last 5 seasons we have competed in it , would make very disturbing reading I'm sure .
    For example , I'm sure during the Fenlon ( boak) years, we went a whole calendar year without winning at home on a Saturday. ( we won midweek and Sunday a few times) . Calderwood was about the same . Butcher beat the poppy thieves but not many others.
    It would be interesting if one of our skilled dudes could gather these facts. ( at the risk of showing me up for talking shide!!!)

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    I'd take a punt on the lad Shankland from Ayr. Scored a few goals this year and quite a big lad too.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    310 Post(s)
    No point bringing in players from a lower league if Simon Murray is more of a ‘substitution rather than a starter’ as the OP says.

If Murray ends up as a sub most weeks because we bring in a striker, it’s got to be one with proven goal scoring at this level. That’ll cost money. Can we afford it?

Adam Rooney would be ideal but I can’t see Aberdeen selling him. Not because they think we’re a direct rival, because we are now more in a battle to keep a gap over Hearts than realistically challenge Aberdeen or Rangers, but because they’ll need all their good players for the second half of the season.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    I'd take a punt on the lad Shankland from Ayr. Scored a few goals this year and quite a big lad too.
    Eh, naw.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Eh, naw.
    Can't be much worse than Dave. Let the lad develop and have him training with us, he's only 21.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3559 Post(s)
    Can't be much worse than Dave. Let the lad develop and have him training with us, he's only 21.
    I think the point is that he's not a solution to the problem at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    Our four strikers from last season...Cummings, Holt, Graham and Keatings were all either emptied or in Cummings case transferred out for a fee. We brought in only three to replace the four we lost and that was in preparation for a season in a higher league. This IMO has left us light and short of options up front and has cost us already this season in many games. Matelavicous was presumably brought in for Holt, Murray for Keatings, and Stokesy was presumably brought in to replace Jason Cummings goals. Shaw has now broken through but as many have stated despite starting against the Rangers he won't be playing regularly in the first team this season and will most likely be used as an impact sub till the manager feels he is ready to start games regularly. Big Dave has been a flop and will probably go. Murray has been a good signing so far in terms of a goal return IMO but is limited. Stokes has been very good in patches and not so good in other games and because he spends most of the game outside the penalty box either on the left or in behind the strikers like Wednesday, he is unlikely to contribute enough goals from those areas. We no longer have the penalty box poacher we had last season. This has cost us on the park in many games already this season. What has also cost us is that we no longer have the dead ball expertise that James Keatings gave us. We should have either kept him or brought in someone who could also provide the set-piece accuracy like he could.

We are simply lacking in the required quality in the striking areas to have any pretentions of challenging for the top 2 or 3 in the top league. We don't score enough as a team. Our otherwise classy midfielders hardly score at all. In the last third of the park we don't have the ruthlessness and power in the air needed to score enough goals to be major players in this league. I'm afraid we won't be able to start to solve this problem either till next summer because January is next to impossible to make major signings. Our lack of goals is the main reason I predicted a fifth place finish for Hibs this first season back at the start of the season. As it stands we are clear in fourth which is ahead of my expectations but IMO we are going to be in a battle with Hearts for the rest of the season to secure that fourth spot. Fourth btw would represent an excellent finish in our first season back.

John Hughes

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    536 Post(s)
    Shankland is working his way down the leagues after Aberdeen, isn't he? No thanks
    GGTTH

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)

Because if you play 4-5-1 away from home no one bats an eyelid. There’s an expectation you play more attacking at home?

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    The midfield doesn’t score enough either...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    385 Post(s)
    Is Benni McCarthy still coaching at Hibs. Not for him pulling on the boots again, just out of curiosity.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6933 Post(s)
    I'd suggest big decisions are required in January by the manager and I'd suggest he won't flinch from making them?

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I'd suggest big decisions are required in January by the manager and I'd suggest he won't flinch from making them?
    You’re right he won’t - the question is whether the board will make the funds available to do the business Lennon will want done.

Big Dave could well be out the door, and he hasn’t got the reaction he was looking for from Stokes... then there’s Danny Swanson who hasn’t really kicked a ball for us, I know he’s had injuries & some horrendous off field issues but will we ever see much of him?

Priority number one is a striker. Another attaker/winger & a midfielder who can score goals should also be on the agenda.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6933 Post(s)
    You’re right he won’t - the question is whether the board will make the funds available to do the business Lennon will want done.

Big Dave could well be out the door, and he hasn’t got the reaction he was looking for from Stokes... then there’s Danny Swanson who hasn’t really kicked a ball for us, I know he’s had injuries & some horrendous off field issues but will we ever see much of him?

Priority number one is a striker. Another attaker/winger & a midfielder who can score goals should also be on the agenda.
    I'd suggest from those you list Swanson will come good.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4720 Post(s)
    I think he will too. New year for him, desperately hope he gets fit and his mentality hasn't been shredded by $#@! lawyers and sicko friends of murdering scum.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    Danny will be like a new singing. Confident he'll do the business in the second half of the season. Just needs a run of games.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    I've no idea if it could come to fruition but I'd make a concerted effort to try to get Jason Cummings back on loan for the rest of the season.

He's struggling to make the bench at Forest and I know the club see him as very much one for the future.

Worth a try.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    Because if you play 4-5-1 away from home no one bats an eyelid. There’s an expectation you play more attacking at home?
    That's a fair point.

John Hughes

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)
    I hope so.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6649 Post(s)

I reckon Dave will be off. No doubt his agent will have been looking for another club for him as Paul Hanlon has ben preferred as a stand in 'big bloke up front'.
    Stokes is a quality player, but he has to get a grip or get a move. This may well be his last pint at the Last Chance Saloon.
    Danny has had a $#@! time as we all know. I hope he can use the latter half of the season to get his revenge on the $#@! devils that have fcuked him over.

I'd like to see another striker, but it seems yon Abersheep fella is back in favour and no longer looking for a move, so maybe a loan deal with someone we have never thought of is on the cards.

Perhaps McGinn will sign?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4451 Post(s)
    Dotnet suggesting we're looking at James Hanson Sheffield Utd.

His stats aren't that great but were pretty decent before he moved.

I'll leave it there but he looks a bit like Sheffield Utds version of Big Dave!

I can't get my head round Big Dave. A bloody internationalist, even a bit part internationalist should manage more minutes than he has! There must be something other than football, maybe he's just not adapting to life in Scotland.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    989 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    [Jason Cummings is] struggling to make the bench at Forest and I know the club see him as very much one for the future.
    You know, this deeply frustrates me (not you, @Stu, but the attitude).

Jason Cummings isn't a 17-year-old who's breaking into the first team for a few substitute appearances at the end of a long season, following a loan spell a bit further down the league. He's a 22-year-old striker that hit more than 20 goals for three full seasons as a top team player, holds a national major honour winner's medal, and has a cap for his country.

He's not "one for the future". His time is now.

And, sadly, it appears he's just going to be another Scottish laddie whose career is going to stall following some bad advice.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    You know, this deeply frustrates me (not you, @Stu, but the attitude).Jason Cummings isn't a 17-year-old who's breaking into the first team for a few substitute appearances at the end of a long season, following a loan spell a bit further down the league. He's a 22-year-old striker that hit more than 20 goals for three full seasons as a top team player, holds a national major honour winner's medal, and has a cap for his country.He's not "one for the future". His time is now.And, sadly, it appears he's just going to be another Scottish laddie whose career is going to stall following some bad advice.
    More young Scottish players should be advised to stay and continue there development in the SPL. Seriously when you look at all the players that leave Scotland in there early 20's how many actually make it down south. I would say maybe only 5% get first team action in the English Championship. In essence they find there self away from home playing reserve football and not developing and improving. This should be pointed out to these young lads. Yes you could triple your income for 2-3 years, but you may find yourself on the scrap heap before you know it.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    You know, this deeply frustrates me (not you, @Stu, but the attitude).Jason Cummings isn't a 17-year-old who's breaking into the first team for a few substitute appearances at the end of a long season, following a loan spell a bit further down the league. He's a 22-year-old striker that hit more than 20 goals for three full seasons as a top team player, holds a national major honour winner's medal, and has a cap for his country.He's not "one for the future". His time is now.And, sadly, it appears he's just going to be another Scottish laddie whose career is going to stall following some bad advice.
    No agent forces a player to sign a deal. Jase was a decent finisher in second tier of Scottish fitba and a very average fitba player

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)

Jason Cummings isn't a 17-year-old who's breaking into the first team for a few substitute appearances at the end of a long season, following a loan spell a bit further down the league. He's a 22-year-old striker that hit more than 20 goals for three full seasons as a top team player, holds a national major honour winner's medal, and has a cap for his country.

And, sadly, it appears he's just going to be another Scottish laddie whose career is going to stall following some bad advice.
    I agree with you but that's Warburton in particular for you... It's ridiculous that a 22 year-old with that amount of experience should be considered 'one for the future' - almost demeaning even. For what it's worth, the many Forest supporters I speak with believe he should be given a chance to prove himself with a run of games. He has a bit of competition though but I do believe personally that he would come good. I don't necessarily believe he's at the wrong club or more pertinently at the wrong level but he almost certainly has the wrong manager. However, that was his choice. He may now repent at leisure.

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1786 Post(s)
    We are putting plenty of decent crosses into the box and we are badly missing Jase to finish them.

As someone else said not getting a sniff at Forest, I would have him back in a heart beat along with Nial McGinn.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)

The jump in standard from the Scottish Championship to the English Championship is massive..as Jason Cummings is finding out. He is still a young lad learning his trade and it would have been better for him to have stayed with Hibs for another year and proved himself in the SPL before considering such a huge challenge down south. I don't really blame him for moving though...he had done his bit for Hibs and wanted to challenge himself and make a lot more money. I still think he could make it in England yet given a bit more time and opportunity.

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    No agent forces a player to sign a deal. Jase was a decent finisher in second tier of Scottish fitba and a very average fitba player
    Scored regularly against top flight Scottish teams too in cups, reckon he'd get 20 a season in Scottish premier, big miss.
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4451 Post(s)
    I'm sure there was a post on here a few months ago, maybe it was dotnet.

It was reasoning behind Scottish players not getting a chance down south.

Cutting a long story short a manager buys 2 players of equalish ability, one from Scotland at £1m and an English player or a foreigner with a name at many more times that.

The Jock is always going to be dumped!
    Space to let

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Yes. Was going to say much the same thing. We lost because of poor, very poor individual defensive errors.
    And again yesterday - 8 goals conceded in 3 games is the real problem - as we scored in ALL the games, a clean sheet in any one of them would have won us three points.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Scored regularly against top flight Scottish teams too in cups, reckon he'd get 20 a season in Scottish premier, big miss.
    It would have been good to see if Jase could have bit he wanted to leave. Which is fair enough

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    And again yesterday - 8 goals conceded in 3 games is the real problem - as we scored in ALL the games, a clean sheet in any one of them would have won us three points.
    Take your point completely, B but it's hard to conceive of a clean sheet winning us that Aberdeen game. They were all over us like a rash and our goal was nothing but a consolation effort when the game was hugely out of reach. We've done well in the past with the defenders we've got and I think it will be okay again when McGregor gets up to speed and spreads a bit of confidence and stability.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    I'm sure Cummings believes he can score goals in any league in the world, just the self belief he has. That's what I admired about him, nothing set him back, he believes 100% in himself.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2603 Post(s)
    Take your point completely, B but it's hard to conceive of a clean sheet winning us that Aberdeen game. They were all over us like a rash and our goal was nothing but a consolation effort when the game was hugely out of reach. We've done well in the past with the defenders we've got and I think it will be okay again when McGregor gets up to speed and spreads a bit of confidence and stability.
    We are struggling big time in the full-back areas just now. Both our right-backs are injured and Lennon won't bring in a youngster, instead he moves Efe Ambrose from central defence to fill a gap...which is not ideal to say the least. Lewis Stevenson has no competition for his left-back place. Darren McGregor is just coming back after a long period on the sidelines and he has went straight back into the first team despite not having played any development team games to get him fully up to speed. I'm sure the manager would not choose to chop and change his back four (always a bad thing) but he has been forced into it due to the amount of defensive injuries we have.

John Hughes

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    We are struggling big time in the full-back areas just now. Both our right-backs are injured and Lennon won't bring in a youngster, instead he moves Efe Ambrose from central defence to fill a gap...which is not ideal to say the least. Lewis Stevenson has no competition for his left-back place. Darren McGregor is just coming back after a long period on the sidelines and he has went straight back into the first team despite not having played any development team games to get him fully up to speed. I'm sure the manager would not choose to chop and change his back four (always a bad thing) but he has been forced into it due to the amount of defensive injuries we have.
    I am okay with Ambrose at right back, in spite of his major error yesterday. I'd rather have him there than a youngster, he's a quality player who is versatile. It's true to say that Stevenson has no real competition for his spot (though there is some form of cover when Whittaker is fit). It's interesting that about eight managers on the trot have judged him fit to do the job. I think he must have something. I don't think Hibs can afford the type of replacement for every single position that we'd enjoy. I think in the last window they did a reasonable job of being strategic about covering, considering the probable budget. I think the club did well and a great amount of people on here and elsewhere described it as the best window ever. We should not forget that in hindsight.

I agree that it's not a good plan to bring McGregor back without any game time, that being the case.

The major decision appears to be whether to have a back three or four, depending on formation. Realise the constrictions due to injury but it would be a help to have a settled unit at the back/formation. A big help.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Latest rumour regarding Jason Cummings, interesting, the bit about being 'shipped off back to Scotland'.How much would you trust anything that Warburton said? Mark Warburton denies training ground bust-up with Jason Cummings - and says striker has bright future at Nottingham Forest - Nottingham Post

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6933 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Dotnet suggesting we're looking at James Hanson Sheffield Utd.

His stats aren't that great but were pretty decent before he moved.

I'll leave it there but he looks a bit like Sheffield Utds version of Big Dave!

I can't get my head round Big Dave. A bloody internationalist, even a bit part internationalist should manage more minutes than he has! There must be something other than football, maybe he's just not adapting to life in Scotland.
    Being an internationalist means nothing. Eduardo Hurtardo was one....

- - - Updated - - -

Latest rumour regarding Jason Cummings, interesting, the bit about being 'shipped off back to Scotland'.How much would you trust anything that Warburton said? Mark Warburton denies training ground bust-up with Jason Cummings - and says striker has bright future at Nottingham Forest - Nottingham Post
    Sadly I'm convinced one day soon we will be booing him playing for opposition.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Sadly I'm convinced one day soon we will be booing him playing for opposition.
    I maybe see it through different filters, K. I think it would be much easier (and beneficial to the player) to come back to Easter Road and hit the ground running in a place and with people he's familiar with.

Generally speaking as I appreciate you may be talking of elsewhere, I am intrigued to understand where the idea of him going to the Merricks actually comes from? There seems no basis in it at all. It just appears to me to be one of those happenings that someone's imagined/feared and has grown legs to almost become an internet 'fact'. I don't see him going there at all. The the Rangers possibly (sadly).

GoGO Back To Forum