Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just Back and we oh so nearly did it Hibs......

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)

Just Back and we oh so nearly did it Hibs......

Well what can I say after that as I start writing Just Back and my hands are thawing out? After underperforming for a large part of the match, we made a stunning come back and so very nearly won it.

On a sunny but cold day the atmosphere was buzzing despite the the early kickoff. Hibs started with a 4-3-3, with Stokesie almost as a centre forward and Barker and Boyler on the wings. The soapies team turned up in a horrible purply pink coloured strip. Magenta was the colour I think (had to look that up!) There was quite a bit of frost on the pitch. I thought the club would have switched on the undersoil heating? There was a collective groan as John Beaton was announced as the referee.

In the first minute there was an early chance for Stokes but it seemed to bounce off his shoulder. Then Celtic nearly went up the and scored but Lewy made a last ditch tackle. We seemed to make an energetic start as Boyler had a decent chance at the near post. Then a bit of nervousness set in as Efe had one of his moments. I lost count of the number of times Celtic fouled, after a particularly cynical foul in the 11th minute John McGinn wasted the free kick. That was a recurring them of the day for Hibs, wasting set pieces. Come on Neil note for the training groond this week? In the 18th minute Thellick really should have scored after another Efe moment. Forest I think, was clean through and some how he missed the goal. The pace of Celtic seemed to trouble us and sadly Dylan did not look at the races all. I thought his injuries had cleared up? On 33 minutes Boyata was booked for barging Stokes just outside the box. I think Boyata was lucky to stay on the pitch for the full 90 minutes, but more of that later. Sadly we then wasted another direct free kick. At this point I noticed the Soapies' incessant moronic chanting. I'm sure I heard 'IRA' a few times. Gie it a rest eh? We'd shut them up by the end though. On 37 minutes Barker had a good run but his final ball was disappointing. We seemed to struggle against their fitness and to be honest I was relieved to finish the first half goal-less.

Good to see Alex Cropley and other Turnbull Tornadoes at half time. Paddy Stanton did the half time draw and I was only 4 numbers away from a £1000 prize!
    n't
    The second half started with no subs surprisingly as i think Stokesie was struggling in the centre-forward position. There was more of the same as we couldn't seem to achieve much sense of rhythm. On 53 minutes Rocky made one of several good saves but he couldn't keep out Scott Sinclair shortly after. 1 nil Celtic. On 61 minutes Stokes wasted another direct free kick. Sinclair scored again not long after. It was difficult to see exactly what happened from where I was sitting, After that I think everybody around me was worried we were in for a drubbing. Barts took a sore one. I thought he was going to have to go off but then finally Lennon finally changed on 71 minutes bringing young Oli Shaw on. Not long after Hibs fans witnessed one of the best come-backs you'll ever see. Efe hit one back in 75 minutes. That seemed to spur us on. We were a totally different Hibs challenging and winning balls. Oli Shaw then got the equaliser. It happened so fast but i could tell he rifled the ball in the net beyond the reach of Craig Gordon. The Soapies were very quiet now and their team was visibly rattled. We then wasted another direct free kick before Oli Shaw nearly won it for us. Had he put his laces through it we might have ended their unbeaten run which would have been deserved for our performance in the last 15 minutes. The leg of Lustig got on the way, although I don't think he knew much about it. So then the ref blew for full time. I almost didn't want the game to end because I think we would have scored again.

The players

Rocky - Good performance, made a few good saves to keep us in the game.
    Whittaker - struggled with the pace
    Lewy - struggled as well with the pace of Celtic, but came on to a good game towards the end.
    Paul Hanlon - solid again
    Efe - too many 'moments' this time Efe, pleased for his goal
    Barts - really got stuck in
    Dylan - not his best game, was better he when got stuck in for the last 15
    Super John - our best player for me had some tussles
    Barker - some good runs but would have took him off him earlier
    Boyler - was marked closely but was lightning for the last 15 minutes
    Stokesie - simlilar, struggles except for the last 15. When will Lenny realise he ain't a centre forward?

Subs -

Daz - definitely made a difference when he came on, wonder why Lenny had him on the bench
    Oli Shaw - the goal hero and could have gone down in history today........

Referee - usual inexplicable decisions. How Boyata stayed on the park and Broonie didn't end up in the book I'll never know.

Soapy fans - will the SFA take action for that moronic sectarian singing? i think not.......

Attendance over 20,193. WHAT a club!

So there you go so close after being almost down and out. Congratulations to the team for an almost surreal comeback. If Lenny could just bottle what made that difference we would be unstoppable. Oli Shaw did make a difference but I'm not convinced it was just down to that. A boy near me said we paid them too much respect until the last 15 minutes. i have to agree. They were clearly rattled after we started getting stuck in. So two points and six goals scored against the Dodgers already this season. Please Hibs can we start like that and send the Huns back along the M8?

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    310 Post(s)
    Agree with a lot of that. But I thought Ambrose had a very good game.

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I thought Efe had a good game to be honest, the “short backpass” wouldn’t have happened had Marv not kept backing off the ball and it was McGeouch who sold Hanlon short to let Forrest in as far as I remember. Whittaker was our weak link today imo, & I still don’t get what Barker brings to the team apart from 1 or 2 decent runs (most without end product) a game! He just wanders about aimlessly the rest of the time!

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    579 Post(s)
    Cheers for the Just Back, I had to settle for watching it on TV with a Dodger sitting next to me.

Agree with most of what you’ve said, except Efe who I thought was excellent. Whittaker looked like a player who had missed a few games, and Stokes is totally ineffective up front on his own.

Excellent come back from Hibs, and we could have won it (or lost it) Ro right at the end.

Next up The Rangers, here’s hoping we build on that last 15 minutes.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Norwegian Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I thought SJM was immense in the 2 half, gave as good as he got from Scott Brown. Was given mom by sky. Agree with you jock, if only Oli had put his laces through it......

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    We allowed them too much on the ball 1st half by not hassling and closing them down. Along with that, we took so long to turn up. Once we did.....they walk away rattled but still unbeaten.

Some game and still undeafetd by any team from the weege this season. Big game Wednesday and one we will or should be getting stuck in from the off. Well done NL and and all players involved for the outstanding come back.

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5111 Post(s)
    I agree. Efe was again good. And Hanlon. McGeouch and Bartley not at it enough for me. Don't get me started on Barker.

I didnt think Stokes was that bad. Some fine close control and passes?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3560 Post(s)

Just Back and we oh so nearly did it Hibs......

Is there a problem with Just Backs and Tapatalk? I can only see the last couple of paragraphs

Just read in normal browser, though - nice work, @jock3

Still a bit disappointed we never beat them, but we should come out of the blocks on Wednesday and blow these Hun $#@!s away. We can clearly do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2597 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a problem with Just Backs and Tapatalk? I can only see the last couple of paragraphs

Still a bit disappointed we never beat them, but we should come out of the blocks on Wednesday and blow these Hun $#@!s away. We can clearly do it.

Theyre the best bits, what a comeback

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

A True Gadgie/Gadgess

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Defo agree we have them far too much respect until late on we weren’t chasing them down really until then, once we started doing that and getting in their faces and they were rattled. Boyata should’ve walked and that wee tit Beaton only knows how broonie and lustig never got booked for persistent fouling. Felt the game was screaming out for Murray to chase them down but another bit of good management from Lennon to bring shaw on, we need to start playing 2 upfront if stokes is playing he just doesn’t work well as a lone striker IMO. Also wouldn’t be against shaw starting on Wednesday, I really like the laddie and think he could cause them a lot of problems

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    I agree. Efe was again good. And Hanlon. McGeouch and Bartley not at it enough for me. Don't get me started on Barker.

I wish barker would get his head down and hit the byline and cross the ball, laddies got bags of pace but 9 times out of 10 refuses to use it and ends up putting his foot on top off the ball and slowing us down

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I agree. Efe was again good. And Hanlon. McGeouch and Bartley not at it enough for me. Don't get me started on Barker. I didnt think Stokes was that bad. Some fine close control and passes?
    For me stokes poor until last 20. Barker did more than stokes. Barker needs to look at boyler for effort and commitment and he'd be some player. Boyler made wonder boy tierney look bang average

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6940 Post(s)
    Efe just shaded the man of the match for me ahead of McGinn and Boyle. Whittaker was poor but was up against a difficult opponent. Dylan took 70 minutes to get into it. Barker is hugely frustrating. I think he's tactically naive and needs to show more appetite. Stokes was ok but we need to find a way of getting more out of him.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    579 Post(s)

I think the problem with Stokes is that he needs a strike partner, which tactically means we have to accommodate him. Playing up front on his own doesn’t help him or the team, especially first half when he was asked to chase shadows and feed off long balls.

I think Shaw & Stokes need a run out together.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6120 Post(s)
    Thanks Jock!!

I thoroughly enjoyed that last 18 minutes, Hibs come back was great and I put it down to to Neil Lennon's knowing when to go at a tired Celtic team. I spent parts of my day in the company of Thellick fans who are my pals, they think we are brilliant. Take that for what it is.

Best Hibs player for me was Paul or Boyler, add a massive crowd, we made them $#@! their drawers, they thought they would get beat, now lets batter the hundogs, and mind, this Hibs are a great Hibs.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4973 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post

Sound here mate. Just updated mind you.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hibs are standing on the brink of history...
    They've only gone and done it..
    They've only gone and won The Scottish Cup.

Bounce Hibs Ladies Player Sponsorship

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1740 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. If you believe you’re not beaten at 2-0 with 20 minutes to go against a team unbeaten in 67 games (and go on and prove it) then you’re a pretty special team.

Didn’t notice Neil Lennon telling the bench to sit down either 👍

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)
    Cheers Jock. Just watched the final 20 minutes back, couple of things to note; firstly Rocky had 2 excellent stops in between our first and second goals. Secondly, our equaliser was brilliantly worked, must have been a good number of passes before Stokes’ slide rule pass freed Stevenson to set up Shaw.
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1740 Post(s)
    Having watched the highlights, we were only 2-0 down because of two wicked deflections.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2610 Post(s)
    Celtic are a class team and Hibs done very well to come back from 2-0 down against them. We rode our luck at times but we came close to stopping their record and that deserves credit. We did well to contain them in the first half although how Forrest missed that chance after McGeogh's error only he will know. We had some good performances mainly from Boyle, Ambrose, McGinn (apart from his set-pieces), and I thought Stokesy improved when played further left and Oli Shaw came on. Oli is a fine prospect and a natural finisher. Hopefully two goals against the best team in the country will give him the confidence to go on and be a top player for Hibs. Overall a very good result for Hibs. We could have won it but Celtic unusually for them missed a fair number of chances to win comfortably.

Wednesdays' game against the Rangers will be just as difficult. They have won three on the trot now so we will have to play very well to win. A few of our players look as though they are carrying injuries which is a worry. Lennon will have to rotate the squad a bit as three games in six days against the top three teams in the country will take it's toll.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    451 formation with wingers pushing on. Not 433.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4456 Post(s)
    I've just been thinking if Griffiths missed some of those celtc chances yesterday he'd be getting slaughtered and would disappear even further down their pecking order!

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    990 Post(s)
    Telly watcher here.

All I’d add, and it’s not on the Just Back itself, is that we need to be careful about showing Celtic respect. A lot of guys effectively say “$#@! ‘em, get tore in”, which is great, but we’re talking about a team that’s got pace all over the park. If you close tightly, and get turned, you can end up in all sorts of trouble and without available cover. Neither Whittaker or Stevenson are as quick as their opposition yesterday, which is the case in most positions across the park. It’s very hard to deal with.

I just wish Barker would take note of that and get the after burners on more often.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4723 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG_07 View Post
    451 formation with wingers pushing on. Not 433.
    Was both really. 451 without that ball, 433 with the ball.

Boyle was most certainly fouled before one of their goals, barged off the pitch by the centre back.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6654 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post

Boyle was most certainly fouled before one of their goals, barged off the pitch by the centre back.
    I was raging that no foul was given - he was indeed barged off the ball. Funnily enough when McGinn used about a quarter of the force to shove Broonie off the ball - in a 'shoulder to shoulder' move, the foul was immediately given.
    I was a bit scunnered with Broon yesterday. His job is to be 'the hard man' so I accept that he will put himself about a bit (and the referees seem to accept that too as they let him away with numerous fouls with no bookings!!) but on the occasions he got some back from notably SJM and Marvin, he was whining and complaining to the referee. Bit girly of him I thought.

Skivin cooncil Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    I was raging that no foul was given - he was indeed barged off the ball. Funnily enough when McGinn used about a quarter of the force to shove Broonie off the ball - in a 'shoulder to shoulder' move, the foul was immediately given.
    I was a bit scunnered with Broon yesterday. His job is to be 'the hard man' so I accept that he will put himself about a bit (and the referees seem to accept that too as they let him away with numerous fouls with no bookings!!) but on the occasions he got some back from notably SJM and Marvin, he was whining and complaining to the referee. Bit girly of him I thought.
    Indeed.

But that's how every bully behaves.
    Ever play this game chief?

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6940 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Scott Brown has turned into Neil Lennon.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4456 Post(s)
    Broonie is a whinging wee scroat but by God there's worse than him out there. He did moan and held up 3 fingers to the referee at one point, I assumed that was in indicate to the ref that SJM was now only 3 fouls behind him!

Maybe we should have a Bounce end of year awards ceremony in a couple of weeks with whingy wee scroat as a category :-)

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    at some point, i mind broonie sittin on the grass after a 'meeting' with bartley. he's got the ball in his hands, barts opposite him also sitting feeling his 'broonied' calf or summat.

ref's standing over them when broonie suddenly pretends to fire the ball at pace at bart's face, then draws back in, jokin like.

i would have given him yellow for provocative behaviour, the fúcker!
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2597 Post(s)

Ref gave a foul against, I think Mcgeough, in the first half for less of a foul than Squirrels

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    Impressed with young Shaw. Showed good strength on the ball to smash in the equalizer.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4723 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Ref gave a foul against, I think Mcgeough, in the first half for less of a foul than Squirrels
    Exactly Bill. Very frustrating.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2597 Post(s)
    Exactly Bill. Very frustrating.
    He, eventually, was bad for both teams M. He's no a very good referee mate.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    Impressed with young Shaw. Showed good strength on the ball to smash in the equalizer.
    He is a real prospect, the laddie has gone from skinny as a rake to Johnny Bravo physique and oozes confidences. Magic.
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2597 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    He is a real prospect, the laddie has gone from skinny as a rake to Johnny Bravo physique and oozes confidences. Magic.
    He looked like he didnae think he should be scoring goals after that went in yesterday, the look on his face was one of wtf have I just done. He's took a stretch right enough, another JC hopefully.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Johnny Bravo! Superb
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

GoGO Back To Forum