vCash
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5829 Post(s)

Why Hibs?

I have followed the cabbage for 48 of my 52 years. I come from a typical Leith Family, Hibs and Hearts, Catholic and Protestant, Left and Right all mixed together.

When I was a wee laddie in the late 60's, early 70's I was taken along by my Jambo Grandad who loved his fitba, Hibs one week, Hearts the next. Later my Hibby Uncles got involved and I followed our club ever since.

I have lived in West Lothian for long parts of my life, a Livi Hibby, of which there are many. I went to Catholic Schools, everyone supported Celtic or Hibs. I fought the efforts to make me a Celtic fan, I am Hibs, others did too, given we were pretty $#@!e at that time. As I grew older and Hibs grew again, I was part of the casual thing, no as active or frankly wonderfully mental as some of my fellow bouncers, but I still have some great Hibs pals from those days, proper Hibs people.

I lived abroad for years and came back. I brought my two boys up to be Hibs fans, I like to think all of my neices and nephews are Hibbys too.

Hibs and our fans are my other family, they mean everything to me.

What is your story? Why are you a Hibby?
    nil satis nisi optimum

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2747 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have followed the cabbage for 48 of my 52 years. I come from a typical Leith Family, Hibs and Hearts, Catholic and Protestant, Left and Right all mixed together.

When I was a wee laddie in the late 60's, early 70's I was taken along by my Jambo Grandad who loved his fitba, Hibs one week, Hearts the next. Later my Hibby Uncles got involved and I followed our club ever since.

I have lived in West Lothian for long parts of my life, a Livi Hibby, of which there are many. I went to Catholic Schools, everyone supported Celtic or Hibs. I fought the efforts to make me a Celtic fan, I am Hibs, others did too, given we were pretty $#@!e at that time. As I grew older and Hibs grew again, I was part of the casual thing, no as active or frankly wonderfully mental as some of my fellow bouncers, but I still have some great Hibs pals from those days, proper Hibs people.

I lived abroad for years and came back. I brought my two boys up to be Hibs fans, I like to think all of my neices and nephews are Hibbys too.

Hibs and our fans are my other family, they mean everything to me.

I have had some $#@!e of some ex bouncers recently, no idea why to be honest but tell you what, it wont stop me, I love our club, love going to see us play, home and away, its magic.

What is your story? Why are you a Hibby?
    I’m a Hibby because of my Dad,took me to every game going. His proudest moment was when i went to my 1st away game wi my pal instead of him.

Tbh i’d probably have been a Gunt if he’d been one,thank fcuk he wasnae though.

I mind the 1st time we met Mark,Me and Gunner in Lorient to watch Hibs pre-season.
    Yer as good a Hibby as anyone i’ve ever met,ram the Haters 👍
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1562 Post(s)
    Feck knows why people feel the need to attack each other over a disagreement on a football forum. Yeah there's been plenty of heated discussions, but it should end there.

I became a Hibby as I lived a stones throw from ER and my auld man took my along.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2217 Post(s)
    I thought you were going to ask..why Hibs, do we keep not winning when other teams around us fail to win...is there something about us not wanting success??

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1961 Post(s)
    Alternative was hearts..$#@! that.

Didn't really have any choice in the matter was taken to Easter Road from a young age and am very grateful for that..spent my 5th or 6th birthday at Cappielow watching Hibs...!

My daughter turns five tomorrow can only imagine the reaction if I tried to take her to Greenock to watch fitba....
    until the sky turns green

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2541 Post(s)
    My dad was a lifelong Hibs fan and was fortunate to have watched the Famous Five play every other week and knew Lawrie Reilly (My dad was 84 today..and he was as gutted as ever that Hibs lost). All my family and relatives and most of my mates were Hibs fans and I was brought up in Restalrig/Lochend so there was never any doubt which club I would be supporting. My dad took me and my wee brother to see Hibs for the first time in 1971 when I was 6 years old just after Eddie Turnbull had became manager and we beat Falkirk 6-0...that was me hooked. I can even say I saw Joe Baker playing for Hibs because he had came back to Hibs at that time and was playing in that game ! My dad stopped going to games in the mid to late 70's as he didn't like the hooliganism and also the way football was going. I carried on. I was brought up in a strong catholic family but that had no influence and bearing on who I supported and to be honest I have no time for people who want to link "religion" with football. We were a Hibs family and that was that. I joined a branch of the Hibs supporters club in 1977 when I was 12 as a juvenile member and travelled regularly to away games for about 16 years. I stopped in the early 90's as to be honest I just wasn't enjoying going to away games any longer. I've been a season ticket holder since 1986 and always will be.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 19-11-17 at 12:12.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1683 Post(s)
    My family background was all flute bands and orange order. Got taken along to all the walks. That's great when you're a wean, all colours and music. Uncles and cousins were all predominantly Rangers and I was under their influence. Until I was about 8. At that time my faither took a heart attack and ended up in Bangour Hospital. At visiting time there was a newspaper they used to sell on the wards, like an evening sports paper but it had colour pictures of players and teams. That's when I first looked upon the dark green shirt with the white sleeves and thought WOW! I was hooked on the Hibs ever since. My relatives treated me like the black sheep but my faither, who had recovered from the heart attack, never really mentioned football. It was my mother who took me to my first live match at ER. A 3-1 win for the Tornadoes against Dundee Utd. Over the next few years I went nearly everywhere with the Bathgate & District supporters bus. It would be another few years before my faither let on that he had been a Hibs fan since the days of the Famous Five and that his cousin was Sheila Hart, Tom's wife. Talk about discovering a birthright.
    Some things dinnae half piss me off about the club, you may have noticed, but it's in the blood.
    Game's rigged, why bother?

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6722 Post(s)
    My mum tells me that I went home from primary school one day and proclaimed "I'm going to be a Hibby" much to the chagrin of my entire family. I remember going to a game with my pal and his dad but I can't recall really whether that came before my decision or whether it led to it but I think more likely the latter.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    425 Post(s)
    I'm from the west of the city twice over so it was a hard road to be a Hibby. As a toddler the west was the west of London, late 1960s early 1970s when blue was the colour and football was the game. This was pre Ken Bates and pre-Chelski era. They won the European Cup Winners Cup when such tournaments were literally for the Cup winners only and not like modern day nonsense such as The Champions League where you can have a team that qualifies for a dozen years in a row even though they've been the champions of hee haw for 15 years.

Then we moved back to Scotland - west Edinburgh. My uber protestant relatives supported der hun, and being that they played in blue like my beloved Chelsea it was a nasty trap I fell into. Luckily one of my aunts was in a miserable marriage so her husband used to take me to Easter Road as a sneaky move to upset them all. After he disappeared one of mates dad would take us to the derby for Matt's birthday. First one was at Tyncastle, 1978. We had tickets in that old stand in amongst the jobby coloured hordes. So when Ally McLeod grabbed a last minute equalizer the gunts around us were a little upset at our celebrations. Luckily Matt's dad was a 6 foot 4 Liverpudlian who played rugby for Ferranti at the time and he dealt very effectively with the threats being made towards us. After that however he decided for safety that he'd use his Ferranti contacts to secure me and Matt season tickets at Meadowbank which is where I spent the bulk of my football watching days for the next 5 years excluding a few trips to Easter Road for European nights or to see that guy called George Best.

I got involved in the terraced trendy movement in 1984. Mostly just to piss off my gothic big brother and sister. 2 seasons of that nonsense followed but to get out of the cycle of pavement dancing i had to go cold turkey on football. Plunging myself into the music scene I headed down to London for a few years. Arriving back in the late 90s I was gradually dragged back to the games with some work mates. It was a pretty dismal time for Hibs but then Judas arrived and things took on a new edge. I would really say that this was the time of football following days when I truly felt the whole Hibs family thing take hold. Wonderful games, wonderful people and, bearing in mind I was 6,000 miles West of Hampden when Sir David Gray headed in that goal, there was the best night of my Hibs life when we beat them 6-2 and I went on a long and winding pub crawl well into the Monday morning. In that time I've also witnessed the absolute worst Hibs teams ever, several different seasons. Despite the dross, Blobby, Calderwood, Butcher and the others , the blood that was once blue, then amber (Meadowbank), has remained green throughout and will forever more.

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)
    Started off a Gunt due to parents. Uncle took me to a hibs game and that was it I was hooked and came over from the dark side.

Skivin cooncil Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    For my Hibbeeness, I have to thank a man from Lochend who was stationed up here during the 2nd WW.
    He used to visit my grandads croft, barter some naafi stuff and have some dinner. My folks used to visit him and his wife in Lochend in the fifties, where my dad was taken to ER to witness the FF.
    My old man was never a big football fan, but he started taking me to the occasional game, and I was hooked on the Hibees.
    Little did I know it would be a lifetime of frustration!!!
    Ever play this game chief?

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2538 Post(s)
    See the 'First Derby' thread. Might have been different if they had lost that day.
    Uncles were mostly Gunts so i used tae bus it wi a couple of mates and get a 'lift over' at most home games.
    Too auld for the pavement dancing era, know a few who were, but remember a few 'cairrys on' in the late 70's early 80's. Took my oldest laddie since he was 2 and his laddie since last year, he's 5 and he loves it.
    Shame about the abuse M.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    We lived on the boundary of Trinity and Leith during those formative primary school years and when my older brother’s best pal ‘told’ us we would be Hibbies, that was that.

My dad was more of a rugby/cricket man (product of his environment, he says!) but had actually been a fan of the Tornadoes and had been to see them throughout the 1970s. By the early 1980s he had 5 children to juggle and taking my brother and I to the games was not really an option. An old school pal of his, whose sons were all Hibs daft, suggested he take us and we started going regularly in 1986.

Oddly enough, my mum’s side’s ties to the club were more profound. Her parents were both descendants of the little Ireland community in the old Cowgate and my grandfather was a handy player who had trials at the club in the 1940s. He was actually injured playing football and suffered gangrene which meant his leg was amputated. He was the first person I thought of when the final whistle blew on 21st May 2016.

P

Hungry Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    841 Post(s)
    My father grew up in and around Leith, despite having been born in Love Street, Paisley. He was the only Hibby in our family with all my cousins and my maternal grandfather being Jambos. He moved up here with his work but we visited relatives in Edinburgh and East Lothian frequently. I pleaded with him to take me to the fitba and I was hooked by the men in green and white under the floodlights after that long climb up to the terracing. By rights I should have been a Dons supporter living up here - or Rantic like most kids my age - but there was only one team for me. Several years later, a stranger turned up at our local park for a kickabout one evening in a Hibs top, my first encounter with Greencol at age around 15. The rest, as they say, is Hibstory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBarry View Post
    We lived on the boundary of Trinity and Leith during those formative primary school years and when my older brother’s best pal ‘told’ us we would be Hibbies, that was that.

My dad was more of a rugby/cricket man (product of his environment, he says!) but had actually been a fan of the Tornadoes and had been to see them throughout the 1970s. By the early 1980s he had 5 children to juggle and taking my brother and I to the games was not really an option. An old school pal of his, whose sons were all Hibs daft, suggested he take us and we started going regularly in 1986.

Oddly enough, my mum’s side’s ties to the club were more profound. Her parents were both descendants of the little Ireland community in the old Cowgate and my grandfather was a handy player who had trials at the club in the 1940s. He was actually injured playing football and suffered gangrene which meant his leg was amputated. He was the first person I thought of when the final whistle blew on 21st May 2016.

P
    Strange coincidence there, PB - my dad's brother, a rabid Rangers man and goalie for Ormiston Primrose, had trials for Hibs but broke a finger in the trial and lost the gig to Tommy Younger. He late ended up losing his legs to gangrene and dying far too young.

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)
    My Grandad grew up watching the Famous Five and, later, Joe Baker. He took my Dad and his 2 brothers to Easter Road in the 70's to watch the Tornadoes and they were hooked for life. My Dad was actually signed by Hibs from school but was released (along with a lot of other boys from the East coast) when Bertie Auld became manager.

He continued to go to games with my uncles and then started to take me when I was 5 (my first game was in 1996). I've been hooked ever since and my Dad, my 2 uncles and I still have season tickets together at Easter Road.

I wouldn't change it for the world.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    I was in the car - on a journey from Manchester where we were living up home to Perthshire. At the time all my mates were either Man U or Man City - I bought a copy of Shoot to read in the car and when I opened it there was a picture of Pat Stanton in the famous green and white. I just thought then and there that’s the team for me. There’s never been a moment’s doubt in my mind ever since. The fact that my family were part Scots and part Irish only cemented how right that choice was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Born and bred in London and followed Palace until I moved to Edinburgh with my wife (born and bred in Edinburgh) and two nippers. Her brothers were hibbies and took me along to see a few matches. I had been a Hibs admirer for a few years having worked in Scotland and seen them in Euro matches on the telly. Once I had watched Stanton, Blackley, Schaedler,Cropley,Duncan etc a few times I was hooked and been a ST holder for over 30 years. Went to Belgium and Malmo and lost count of our trips to Hampden. Seen some poor Hibs sides and some crackers. Son and daughter both Hibbies and my wife too, although ill health prevents her from seeing many games.

It's more then likely that if my bros in law had been Jambos I would have ended up at Tynecastle and just now awaiting delivery of the biggest bestest stadium in footballing history.
    Last edited by lespenny; 20-11-17 at 14:17.

Nutty Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    My parents are from pilton and leith my Dad worked at uniroyal tyres they moved there factory to Newbridge so my parents rehoused to cosmopolitan craigshill.
    All my family are hibs daft so there was only one way I was going to be brought up.
    My first game was the skol cup final when we got beat off Aberdeen , after that I asked my Dad to take me to the games I can always remember him saying to me " mind it's hard going being a Hibby " .
    I got into the Cashie scene for many a year which I met some great friends .
    Now being 44 I enjoy going to the games with my dad , brother and nephew .
    Being a Hibee is a way of life not a luxury we all know it's hard going , in my 30 odd years watching Ive seen 3 cups and basically the odd few cracking games .
    I wouldn't change any of it though.
    Last edited by westsidehibs; 19-11-17 at 21:57.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6464 Post(s)
    I was the black sheep of a Gunt family.

But I’m a classy guy.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4545 Post(s)
    Dad doesn't have a Scottish team so went to games closest to his work in Glenrothes-mostly Raith when not going to Man Utd up until probably 1983. Started going to a few games with a neighbour- Patrick Brack/Dom Brack and some on my own, can remember the enclosure near the away end being my chosen spot, but that doesn't sound right?

Then at high school started going regular with tricky and that was that. Peaks and troughs

Was never allowed to go to Rangers games, was forbidden by my dad ( atheist, but had witnessed extreme abuse of my catholic mum). Even after he left home and moved to Aberdeen, I think my first Rangers game was in my late teens.

Never had much contact with jambos in my early life, alot of Celtc but very few jambos.

Spaktacuradge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1467 Post(s)
    Completely missed the unpleasantness, M. Hope everything thing's cool.

Dad's mum's side were all little Ireland Cowgate folk, dad's dad were all old skool Scottish protestants. Mum was all into this weird more extreme version of the Wee Frees called The Brethren, teuchters from Shetland. But, I'm Hibs because when my dad was wee, he and a pal went to ER for a derby, not being aligned with either side they had an agreement that and the end of the game they'd toss a coin, whoever won the toss got to choose which team would be theirs. Running up and down the touchline all game, winning every ball, covering every blade of grass was Jimmy Caskie for Hibs. My dad won the toss and said 'Green, the team in the green'.

No religion, no hate, no nothing. mostly luck. But then, my mum's dad and his brothers were all ER ST holders so there was probably influence there too. Grandad was pals with Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turnbull due to being in the Merchant Navy, he popped his clogs when I was 1 but mum became good pals with Lawrie.

My kids are Hibs, they don't have a choice.
    Happythankyoumoreplease.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Dad took me to tincastle and Grandad to Easter Road, i loved my Grandad more

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1956 Post(s)
    no idea - folks little or no interest in football - me aged 3 or 4 asked what i wanted for xmas? - said a hibs top....got a hibs top.

Lived in cadiz st at the time - been told it was mostly hibbys there about 1980 - moved away about that time but still knew i was a hibby in primary school in broomhouse. Still hadn't been to a game.

first game in '86.

Living in glasgow now, didn't force hibs on my kids - hey we all hate the huns and celtc buses leaving the capital every weekend and it would be hypocritical to start that in glasgow - but they are bitten and hibs daft - thankfully.
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4763 Post(s)
    Some interesting stories. :

Heavenly Radge and all round bampot! BVilleggiante's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Was coming over from California because I got into the University of Edinburgh. Knew almost nothing about football at the time but knew that I wanted to be a part of it and support a club when I lived there. Researched both clubs and the history. Why did I choose Hibs? It was two factors. One, the history of Hibs spoke to me more than that of Hearts. Two, at the time 06/07 I think I couldn't pronounce half of the Hearts players names and Hibs seemed more home grown. I wanted to support a club that backed local players or at least players in the UK rather than shipping them in from Eastern Europe. When I saw the likes of Brown, Whittaker, Sproule and Deano play I knew I had chosen correctly.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Born in 1961 lived at St James Square and moved to Greendykes aged 3. My Dad was a Jambo (as was my paternal Grandad and uncles). My Dad had a photo of Willie Bauld in the house and idolized him. I went to see Hearts at Tynecastle and Hibs at Easter Road as a nipper, my Dad would take me to Tynecastle not Easter Road, he wouldn't give me entrance money for Hibs.

The big game that changed things Hibs way to me was Hibernian v Sporting Lisbon Wednesdsy 27th September 1972.... I had bus fare, no more, and climbed over the wall and ran into the crowd being chased by stewards/police.

Oh My God I was mesmerised 6-1 Wednesday night under the flood lights it was like going to the circus. Went home and informed my disappointed auld man I was a Hibby. A few short months later.... 7-0
    Last edited by doontheslope70; 21-11-17 at 22:00.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1961 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
    Was coming over from California because I got into the University of Edinburgh. Knew almost nothing about football at the time but knew that I wanted to be a part of it and support a club when I lived there. Researched both clubs and the history. Why did I choose Hibs? It was two factors. One, the history of Hibs spoke to me more than that of Hearts. Two, at the time 06/07 I think I couldn't pronounce half of the Hearts players names and Hibs seemed more home grown. I wanted to support a club that backed local players or at least players in the UK rather than shipping them in from Eastern Europe. When I saw the likes of Brown, Whittaker, Sproule and Deano play I knew I had chosen correctly.
    caught a good team back in 2006/7 some great players like Murphy, Boozy, Fletcher too..Moroccans as well on their day

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6464 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doontheslope70 View Post
    Born in 1961 lived at St James Square and moved to Greendykes aged 3. My Dad was a Jambo (as was my paternal Grandad and uncles). My Dad had a photo of Willie Bauld in the house and idolized him. I went to see Hearts at Tynecastle and Hibs at Easter Road as a nipper, my Dad would take me to Tynecastle not Easter Road, he wouldn't give me entrance money for Hibs.

The big game that changed things Hibs way to me was Hibernian v Sporting Lisbon Wednesdsy 27th September 1972.... I had bus fare, no more, and climbed over the wall and ran into the crowd being chased by stewards/police.

Oh My God I was mesmerised 6-2 Wednesday night under the flood lights it was like going to the circus. Went home and informed my disappointed auld man I was a Hibby. A few short months later.... 7-0
    You certainly were mesmerised.

It finished 6-1

Jimmy O hat trick.

Heavenly Radge and all round bampot! BVilleggiante's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Did I ever. Was an absolute pleasure watching that team.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    caught a good team back in 2006/7 some great players like Murphy, Boozy, Fletcher too..Moroccans as well on their day

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6708 Post(s)
    My first fitba match was at Easter Road in the old centre stand aged 5 but I wasn't wearing a green & white scarf... Confession time is that I was a Hun. I had on a Rangers scarf. Not long afterwards my sperm donor had an affair and him and my mum were no more. My mum met the man who became my Dad when I was 7. He was then a huge Hibby going to all the games. He used to wind me up about me and my scarfs of filth. One night he threw them out the window from the tenement building we were living in. I confess to retrieving them but I cut them up into lots of wee pieces. I wasn't really interested in fitba truth be told at that point but something kicked in when he took me to my first game aged 8 in 1981 v Falkirk that we won 2-0 thanks to Arthur Duncan and Derek Rodier. Funnily enough when I developed my love and passion for Hibs my Dad kind of backed off from Hibs. I think he couldn't get his head around how poor we had become mid 80's compared to what he had experienced in the 70's. I was with him though 21st May and he's had a season ticket the past few years. I have had some communications with the sperm donor the past 5 or 6 years. Relations are friendly. However, I tell him losing him and gaining my Dad was the best thing ever for me in my life. I gained a proper loving supportive Dad and became a Hibby.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1961 Post(s)
    A lucky escape from trips on the Union Jack bus in the 80s Smurf..

Good story

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    My first fitba match was at Easter Road in the old centre stand aged 5 but I wasn't wearing a green & white scarf... Confession time is that I was a Hun. I had on a Rangers scarf. Not long afterwards my sperm donor had an affair and him and my mum were no more. My mum met the man who became my Dad when I was 7. He was then a huge Hibby going to all the games. He used to wind me up about me and my scarfs of filth. One night he threw them out the window from the tenement building we were living in. I confess to retrieving them but I cut them up into lots of wee pieces. I wasn't really interested in fitba truth be told at that point but something kicked in when he took me to my first game aged 8 in 1981 v Falkirk that we won 2-0 thanks to Arthur Duncan and Derek Rodier. Funnily enough when I developed my love and passion for Hibs my Dad kind of backed off from Hibs. I think he couldn't get his head around how poor we had become mid 80's compared to what he had experienced in the 70's. I was with him though 21st May and he's had a season ticket the past few years. I have had some communications with the sperm donor the past 5 or 6 years. Relations are friendly. However, I tell him losing him and gaining my Dad was the best thing ever for me in my life. I gained a proper loving supportive Dad and became a Hibby.
    Good story, K!

In solidarity (I think I've "outed" myself on here before in fact), I had a Huns top when I was a kid. However, for me it was about a particular player - I absolutely idolised and adored Davie Cooper. For all he is as Hun as Hun comes, I just thought he was the greatest player in the world.

In as far as "why Hibs" goes for me, I kinda grew out of the Cooper hero worship at secondary school. After that, given my dad, uncles, pals etc were all Hibees, I kinda just assumed my natural position as it were. However, my dad left when I was 10, so I never really had anyone to take me to games when I was a kid. Then after I got emptied from school, I got into drugs for quite a few years. Following that, I worked in pubs etc for years, so never really had Saturdays off. Then I lived in London for six years until my early/mid thirties. So really, I didn't become a regular attendee outside of the odd games/cup games until about ten years ago.

Now it's part of the very fabric of my life.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    812 Post(s)
    My dad had no interest in football, despite his dad having played for St.Bernards during WW2. So my brothers and I were left to fend for ourselves with my big brother becoming a hun (later changing to Meadowbank/Livingston) and my wee brother copying him but changing later to the Jambos, to my disgust. I chose my team based on what the good guys in my primary 1 class supported.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    630 Post(s)
    Sorry about the size of this, I realise it's a bit long but I wrote it as part of an article for Mass Hibsteria a few years ago and it pretty well tells the tale of my love affair with Hibernian FC and my life around it.

-

‘There were hushed tones in the quiet Musselburgh household that early winter Saturday evening. The men of the house were holding what seemed like another post-mortem. I vaguely understood it was about football and football meant Hibs. All I knew at that young age was that the colours were green and white and that it was something our family ‘did’ – without question. School days were fresh and as a little time went on, and after a barrage of pleading, I was taken to Easter Road for the very first time by my dad. Memories of the game are few but some of the sights and sounds are etched into my soul. Walking part of the way from our town, stopping to view the dry dock with the little boats lying on their side and eventually turning the corner into what will always be to me the ‘heavenly boulevard’ of Easter Road. The lines of neat yet austere tenements seeming to draw us ever nearer to the source of the excitement, beyond our view. An intricacy of smaller streets and my dad and I were inside this awe-inspiring place, inhabited by members of our family for generations. A wee boy, I was in turns astounded, apprehensive and full of wonder at what surrounded me. A huge crowd, an even larger imposing terrace and a crackling of noise and anticipation filled my eyes and ears. We steadily picked our way to near the very top, me probably with my mouth open all the way. The smell of cigarettes, the laughter and banter, the tones of a distinctive dialect that is still in my head, wherever I travel.

Giddily peering down at the emerald green sward, yes, from my daddy’s brawny shoulders, I saw this phenomenon and cornerstone of my life for the very first time as the Hibernian players ran out to a huge cheer. There was never any going back. ‘This is what our family do son and this is where you belong’. The men in the beautiful green shirts with their smart white sleeves weaved their pretty patterns for us and I watched, enthralled.

Time moved on and so did our family, to the country of my mother’s birth. I was uploaded onto maternal uncles in a bid to quench my new-found thirst for football, at the two Nottingham grounds. The men from the City Ground were exactly ninety places above Notts County who were amidst their annual bid to avoid the re-election process at the bottom end of the Football League. This family favoured the Magpies, the glamour club of the previous decade, the 1950s and imperious and idolised England spearhead Tommy Lawton but I was nonetheless introduced to both the red and the black and white sides of the Trent. Great players too, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Moore, Dave Mackay, Bobby Charlton.

Something wasn’t quite right with my football world though.

Great excitement was forming on the south side of the River Trent and a dashing, brave and lightening quick centre forward was plying his trade in the Garibaldi Red number nine jersey. Former Hibs forward Joe Baker was leading the charge for the old First Division Championship for the provincial club against the might of Manchester United’s Best, Law and Charlton. History tells us that ‘The Baker Boy’ and his teammates or ‘Zigger Zagger’ as he was fondly known in Nottingham, narrowly failed in their quest. I didn’t care however; I had my own personal Hibs Hero playing just five miles away from our front door and I adored him. I still do.

Visits to the family back home would be frequent and it was at these times I began to understand what I missed. A sunny early autumn stay back in Portobello, ‘Good Day Sunshine’ by The Beatles playing thinly on a nearby transistor radio and days back playing on the beach until the water finally, inexorably, rolled in again for the day.

Then, inevitably, back to Nottingham.

It seems a little forlorn these days to say but my main contact in keeping Hibs and in some ways Scotland, alive in my life was through my mum and dad’s paper, The Sunday Post which was not available in our local paper shop until Monday lunchtime when I would be sent to collect it. It perhaps appears a little quaint to say in 2012 but I’d read it back to front and back again, devouring the pages word for word. Of course the sports pages always came first and the report on the Hibs game was the pinnacle of that.

It was all Stanton almost every week. The writers talked in wonder at his authoritative, composed and brilliant displays week in and week out. I almost knew what Jack Harkness et al. were going to say about him, along with their archaic prose of ‘onion bags' and ‘stramashes’. I loved it. I also counted myself very fortunate to be taken to see the great man and his fabulous and exhilarating team on many, many occasions during our visits. If you’re asking me by the way, out of the many, I’d say Sodjer…

Darker days came along after the days of the Tornados, mainly punctuated by the incredible signing of Georgie Best who put the beautiful team in my heart firmly in the headlines in England. We all know the well-documented ups and downs of the Belfast Boy’s chequered time in Leith but just to say ‘thanks for the memories’ Georgie. I’m so glad you were one of us for a little while at least.

Life, relationships and jobs caught up with me, my parents passed on but still my deep feelings for Hibs and the family tradition endured, personally, privately. A grown man, I’d walk home on the dark nights after an evening out with friends quietly singing the old Hibs songs I knew to no one and sometimes in my head. In time, the younger team came along with a flow of ebullience, headed by the brash and confident talent of a young Johnny Collins. Stays back home ‘up the town’ by this time were punctuated by visits to Easter Road. In fact they were planned around them if truth be told.

A lull presented itself and the man who delivered me from the doldrums was Franck Sauzee. On first sight I really couldn’t take my eyes off the dominating quality of the great Frenchman who strolled around in the green and white adorned with a pair of black gloves, pinging 60-yard passes onto teammates’ toes. Thank you Franck, you brought me back from the wilderness.

Of course by now the internet was making huge inroads into my relationship with Hibs. As a distant fan I could now keep much more in touch with my team and the people who surrounded it. First internet search: ‘Hibs’. First attempted download: a Hibs goal (which I gave up on after 45 minutes!) much more than this though it gave me some of the best friends of my life, back home as my relationship with Edinburgh happily travelled full circle, back into the fold of my own people.

As I sit here and write, my most recent emotions were over friends trying their very best to find me a gold dust ticket for our date with destiny on May 19th. Having all but given up any hope I was resigned to coming back to Edinburgh and travelling through to Hampden with the idea of standing listening from outside the stadium’s walls. I just wanted to be near Hibs at that time – ‘where I belong’. I know that my late father would have understood. He’s in these pages, with his dad too. They’ll be at Hampden.'
    Last edited by Stu; 21-11-17 at 20:48.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4545 Post(s)
    Some great stories here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    You certainly were mesmerised.

It finished 6-1

Jimmy O hat trick.
    I was only 10 years old Edited

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1961 Post(s)
    Great bit of writing Stu

metaller radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    In the summer of 1986 aged just 4, I went to visit my auntie/uncle/cousins after playgroup. It was a usual day we played on bikes outside with my cousins and their friends who were neighbours. Anyway it was raining on this particular day, so we couldn't go out to play. My uncle was a jambo and had his brother visiting they were doing their usual grown up stuff couple tins of lager, game of cards, telly on no volume, music blasting away, just something that was a usual chillout thing for them to do whilst waiting on their sport fix.

So, I stroll into the sitting room they're doing their thing I say hello they say hello, I ask politely what are they watching today then "football" was the response. What's that? I ask. "grab a tin of juice some biscuits, sit doon here and watch it and we'll tell you all about it" My cousins are all female here so my uncle treats me as if I were his only son. It's the FIFA World Cup in Mexico 1986. England match is on and the 2nd half was my first introduction to football - games ends 1-1 with both goals being scored before I sat down to watch. Then, another game comes on straight after it (think it was Germany vs. someone). I watch the entire game there's goals - to my 4 year old self this seemed all a bit exciting and I was able to chillout with the adults, feeling important (as you do when your wee and not normally allowed to socialize with grown ups).

Anyway, I leave their house and go home only to return a few days later when Scotland are playing. The game was rubbish but I felt part of something being able to sit and watch football with grown ups acting like kids. So, I am slowly understanding football. Another few days go by I return again more football then I'm asked by my jambo uncle if I want to go to a game. Not sure was my answer I was looking at the crowds at the World Cup thinking every game was like that crowds scared me as I was just a wee laddy. So, I end up agreeing to go to football.

My first stop - HMFC 0 vs 2 Dundee 1986 must've been August or September. I go the following week HMFC vs. Raith a draw this time. I don't like Tynecastle very much and the football is dreadful even to my 4 years old self I can see they're no very good. I get asked to go again, I refuse saying it's rubbish.

My uncle then says well I know you like football we can go to see another team Hibs. He worked for both Edinburgh clubs as a Programme Seller. I went to see Hibs 1 vs 3 Hamilton in November 1986. I went back to see Hibs vs Celtic we got humped. so at this point I've been to see 2 teams 4 games and 3 defeats and a draw. I'm not sure I want to go again. I give it another go Hibs v Dundee United we get a win. I got a tour of Easter Road, met the players, backroom staff, office staff, trophy room, told about the history of the club and so forth.

Liking I've seen my first winning match - I decide to give HMFC another go - my uncle does the same thing tour of tynecastle, met the players, backroom staff, office staff, trophy room, told about their history and so forth. Hearts get a win this time. My uncle goes well you had a sample of both clubs who do you prefer... he's hoping I choose HMFC but I choose Green & White of Hibs. into 1987 the season's ending Gordon Rae just sank the Rangers with a world class diving header. Andy Goram arrives on the scene he was my first footballing hero.

I get a season ticket for the 1987/88 season followed hibs ever since. I had a season ticket right up to 2003 when I ended up working most weekends so only go to a few games here and there nowadays. Most my family are die hard jambos so it's good to have chosen my own path well to be honest Hibs choose me - they just seemed a friendlier club and the people hibs people are the best on the earth.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldave View Post
    In the summer of 1986 aged just 4, I went to visit my auntie/uncle/cousins after playgroup. It was a usual day we played on bikes outside with my cousins and their friends who were neighbours. Anyway it was raining on this particular day, so we couldn't go out to play. My uncle was a jambo and had his brother visiting they were doing their usual grown up stuff couple tins of lager, game of cards, telly on no volume, music blasting away, just something that was a usual chillout thing for them to do whilst waiting on their sport fix.

So, I stroll into the sitting room they're doing their thing I say hello they say hello, I ask politely what are they watching today then "football" was the response. What's that? I ask. "grab a tin of juice some biscuits, sit doon here and watch it and we'll tell you all about it" My cousins are all female here so my uncle treats me as if I were his only son. It's the FIFA World Cup in Mexico 1986. England match is on and the 2nd half was my first introduction to football - games ends 1-1 with both goals being scored before I sat down to watch. Then, another game comes on straight after it (think it was Germany vs. someone). I watch the entire game there's goals - to my 4 year old self this seemed all a bit exciting and I was able to chillout with the adults, feeling important (as you do when your wee and not normally allowed to socialize with grown ups).

Anyway, I leave their house and go home only to return a few days later when Scotland are playing. The game was rubbish but I felt part of something being able to sit and watch football with grown ups acting like kids. So, I am slowly understanding football. Another few days go by I return again more football then I'm asked by my jambo uncle if I want to go to a game. Not sure was my answer I was looking at the crowds at the World Cup thinking every game was like that crowds scared me as I was just a wee laddy. So, I end up agreeing to go to football.

My first stop - HMFC 0 vs 2 Dundee 1986 must've been August or September. I go the following week HMFC vs. Raith a draw this time. I don't like Tynecastle very much and the football is dreadful even to my 4 years old self I can see they're no very good. I get asked to go again, I refuse saying it's rubbish.

My uncle then says well I know you like football we can go to see another team Hibs. He worked for both Edinburgh clubs as a Programme Seller. I went to see Hibs 1 vs 3 Hamilton in November 1986. I went back to see Hibs vs Celtic we got humped. so at this point I've been to see 2 teams 4 games and 3 defeats and a draw. I'm not sure I want to go again. I give it another go Hibs v Dundee United we get a win. I got a tour of Easter Road, met the players, backroom staff, office staff, trophy room, told about the history of the club and so forth.

Liking I've seen my first winning match - I decide to give HMFC another go - my uncle does the same thing tour of tynecastle, met the players, backroom staff, office staff, trophy room, told about their history and so forth. Hearts get a win this time. My uncle goes well you had a sample of both clubs who do you prefer... he's hoping I choose HMFC but I choose Green & White of Hibs. into 1987 the season's ending Gordon Rae just sank the Rangers with a world class diving header. Andy Goram arrives on the scene he was my first footballing hero.

I get a season ticket for the 1987/88 season followed hibs ever since. I had a season ticket right up to 2003 when I ended up working most weekends so only go to a few games here and there nowadays. Most my family are die hard jambos so it's good to have chosen my own path well to be honest Hibs choose me - they just seemed a friendlier club and the people hibs people are the best on the earth.
    Great stuff.
    GGTTH

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    My Dad.
    He was a Hibs man born on Easter Road (in a house, not actually on the road!). He took me to my first Hibs game in 1975 I think it was 75 anyway, night time game on Xmas eve.
    it was either East Fife or Ayr Utd, 1-0 Hibs. Only the main stand was open and we were in the North enclosure.
    My twin brother also went that night, he ended up a jambo however I dont hold it against him, in fact he sat in my seat at ER for the last derby as I couldn't make it, I was told he was very quiet and left the game early.......

A message to you, radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Both my parents were Hibbys, but I grew up in a real Hibs area (Muirhouse 70s), so I suspect In would be the same as my Hibby pals.
    My dad started to follow Hibs in the early 50s. He loved fitba, but didnt really have a team, he moved from Lockerbie to Edinburgh in his early 20s. His dad came up to visit him and his team, Queen of the South were playing at ER in the Scottish cup. Hibs won 9-3, my dad was hooked. My dad took in every game, reserve matches and introduced my mum to the delights of ER. They both always stood / sat behind the goals from terracing, to the cave and then in the FF, always at the same spot. My dad passed away in 2006 and my mum stopped going a few years back (Butcher era she had enough!), but still phones me every weekend to talk about the game.
    I have always gone to ER, sometimes money & work got in the way, but Hibs has always been part of who I am and some of the Hibs family In have met over the years have been great friends. GGTTH.
    Not all Hearts fans are stupid
    But stupid people tend to be Hearts fans

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2135 Post(s)
    My first ever game was a 0-0 Hertz v Partick Thistle in 1976. I remember thinking "$#@! this Dad, this dark place reeks. I'm gonna check oot the Hibs".

Next game was a under the floodlights at ER. I went with me cousin and an older mate (I was about 7 or 8) Climbing the steps was exciting enough but getting to the top and looking down on to the pitch for the very first time. WOW! It was like I was blinded by the greenness of it all. Magic. Can't remember who we were playing, or even the score, but I knew I was in the right place and Hibs were the team for me.

My dad was devastated that year as him and my Ma split up and worse for him, I became a Hibee. And they got relegated that season. Shouldnae laugh but.....Ha!

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)
    Always loved football. Was at Univeristy in Edinburgh and just went along one day in January 1998, and ended up seeing Hibs dumped out of the cup by Raith. In my memory Keith scored but I just looked it up and apparently it was a brace from John Millar.

I sat in the family bit for some reason and vividly remember Willie Miller screaming like a banshee at Darren Dods or someone after Raith got their second, and hurling the ball at the floor in fury.

I must have got the bug because I went to the next two games which were away at Motherwell (lost 6-2) and Aberdeen (lost 3-0). And then I think almost all the rest of the games that season. I now see that it filled a bit of a gap for me. But even with the ups and downs and occasionally feeling about hibs a bit like Miller obviously did on that winter day, I'm eternally glad I went.
    so what do I know

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Ok despite being from Craigentinny and my older relations coming from cowgate/little Ireland and St Pats parishioners I grew up following Celtic due to my older brothers who started following them in the early 80’s. My Dad had given up on Hibs by then (although Gordon Smith was always his best player). As I got older and found out more about my roots I got increasingly bothered about it and decided to make the change back to where I should have been in the first place. My 2 year old won’t have that issue and can already point to my Hibs top and shout Hibees!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1961 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    Always loved football. Was at Univeristy in Edinburgh and just went along one day in January 1998, and ended up seeing Hibs dumped out of the cup by Raith. In my memory Keith scored but I just looked it up and apparently it was a brace from John Millar.

I sat in the family bit for some reason and vividly remember Willie Miller screaming like a banshee at Darren Dods or someone after Raith got their second, and hurling the ball at the floor in fury.

I must have got the bug because I went to the next two games which were away at Motherwell (lost 6-2) and Aberdeen (lost 3-0). And then I think almost all the rest of the games that season. I now see that it filled a bit of a gap for me. But even with the ups and downs and occasionally feeling about hibs a bit like Miller obviously did on that winter day, I'm eternally glad I went.
    a grim time following Hibs but hope you caught this classic..

Hibernian FC v Heart Of Midlothian April 11th 1998 - YouTube

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4330 Post(s)
    I grew up in a non football family. My Dad kept going on about Kent fecking Cricket Club and West Ham who he'd never seen in his puff. My mother's family, although Leith to the core, had no interest in football.

I went to Holy Cross primary where the boys played football at dinner time Hibs v Gunts every day. 20 boys in my class 9 gunts and 9 Hibbies a celtc fan and me. He and I swapped teams regularly so no affinity yet!

I joined a football team at about 7 years old that trained at the primary school in Brunswick Road. One night Hibs were playing a European match against Locomotive Leipzig and me and my pal sneaked in. I'd never been in such a huge boisterous crowd, I was $#@! scared! Hibs won.

It was probably years till I went along properly. In secondary school, Leith Academy, all my pals were Hibs so I went with them meeting at the laundry on the corner of Albion Road on Easter Road quarter to 3. It became the cooked chicken shop and is now the convenience store. I joined Hibs at the same time as Eddie Turnbull became the manager.

I was late one week running along Duke Street a pal seeing me in my Hibs stuff shouted across the street "Who are Hibs playing?" "I don't know, I don't care!" I made my way up St Clair Street. It was strangely quiet. The doors were even shut. We were playing away!!!!

A lot of other weeks the rich dad of a pal in my street used to pay me to take his son to see the gunts, dropped off in his big car, best tickets, money for sweeties and a programme, picked up at the end and fish supper on the way home!

Hundreds ;-) of league games, Euro nights at Easter Road and Texaco Cup nights at tiny.

Despite the bribes I knew I was a Hibby.
    Space to let

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    I didn't seem to have much option and was born a hibby given that my auld man gave me the middle name of Patrick Stanton he was all for calling me after the whole turnball tornadoes but the auld dear put the foot down and a comprise was made

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1692 Post(s)
    Growing up with a Gunt family my dad took me and my brother to the games when I was young, a few my mates were Hibs so once I went to a game I immediately became hooked which pardon the pun broke my dad and brother's hearts. Got involved in the cashie scene and I have no regrets either, we had a great bunch of boys back in those days and we all stuck together one went down your all going down, met loads of good friends in those days which will stay with me forever lost a lot of good friends also who were involved.

Coming from a family fae Stockbridge and Leith there was only one club for me, my dad use to say it gave him such an ill feeling having to go into the Hibs shop every year to buy me the kit for Xmas. And having to come and get me from the cells after fighting with other cashies.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    a grim time following Hibs but hope you caught this classic..

Hibernian FC v Heart Of Midlothian April 11th 1998 - YouTube
    I did! Was in the East and remember it vividly, not least a strange quiet falling on the ground as snow began to fall after their goal, that weird mutedness that you sometimes get in that weather. Then us roaring back off and on the pitch.

Like you say, a jewel in what was a pretty rubbish time. Although for me the whole experience of going was so novel and exciting that I even sort of loved it when we got beaten back then.
    so what do I know

Baby Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

being a Hibby.

I was brought up in Newcraighall, the birthplace of Willie Bauld. he went to school with my Da and his twin. they were both hibbies but never took me to games.my auld man worked abroad in the gold mines so never hame for the season. However, our village was a definite mining village at that time and carried a lot of the religious baggage of the Lanarkshire pit villages. Lots of men came to work in our pits from Shotts, Blantyre,Lesmahagow etc and brought that with them. we as kids were either Celtic or Rangers. when I went to secondary, all my mates there were mainly hobbies from Bingham Magdalene Porty and Niddrie .I was asked to go to see Hibs v Rangers and went thinking I'll be a Rangers fan. came out, after Hibs winning 3-1, and was hooked. was on the train the next week to Dundee to watch Hibernian! been going to home and a lot of aways for 51 years now!

GoGO Back To Forum

User Tag List