Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: An unsentimental January window?

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    873 Post(s)

An unsentimental January window?

Anthony Stokes - Id take any money we could get for him. The odd goal constantly save him from being criticised for lazy $#@! performances. He’s our Kris Boyd.
    Lewis Stevenson - A loyal servant. Can’t beat a man and his crossing is awful.
    Brandon Barker - Cancel the loan. Pace doesn’t excuse awful decision making and no goal threat.

These players need replaced if we really want to compete wilt the top of the league, right?

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1736 Post(s)
    They’re all good enough for a squad finishing second, but, to finish second we need 3 player in January all hitting the ground running.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)
    BB-agree. The boy's got something about him: but he should be trying to develop it in EFL 2 at best.
    Lewis-I usually try to stay out of these debates, BUT I have previously said 'Mr Reliable' is exactly that. You can count on him being 5 or 6 out of ten almost every week (occasionally a 7, seldom a 4) - in other words somewhere between bang average and poor.

Stokes- Defo has "got it" - high $#@!in time he showed it.

And most painful of all: Sir David Gray..... Legend for past exploits, but now looks hopelessly out of his depth 😥

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I cannot agree any more with the opening post.If we want to improve we must be ruthless.It is not good enough anymore to play players because they try hard or are “ legends “. These players need to be replaced by better.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    310 Post(s)
    Stokes had a poor game but he’s still our best forward by some distance.

People have short memories obviously.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stokes had a poor game but he’s still our best forward by some distance.

People have short memories obviously.
    I agree he should the best forward we have. The problem is the team plays better without him in it. For the games he was out, it was more free flowing and attacking at pace. With him in it, everything slows down.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)
    If we want to finish in the top 6 our squad is good enough. If we want to finish 2nd or 3rd we need to improve the squad.

The priority must be a striker & a left back.

Simon Murray should be our second choice striker.

Lewis Stevenson is a loyal servant & a hard working player, but if we want to push on we need a better first choice left back. We are losing far too many goals down his side, both goals yesterday came from balls in from our left as did the Dundee goal (yes the defenders & goalkeeper could have done better but priority number 1 is always to stop the cross).

Sadly I don’t think our Cup winning captain & 92nd minute goal scoring hero David Gray is up to it either.

Stokes is an enigma as he has quality but I’m not sure what his best position is and it seems we have to try and accommodate him. I also don’t see where Danny Swanson fits in to the team.

McGeouch has to start as part of a 3 man midfield for me, it lets Bartley do what he’s best at & it brings out the best in John McGinn.

Some of the criticism of Barker is harsh IMO - he had the beating of his man yesterday but neither of our two strikers took up decent positions and he was then switched infield to accommodate Stokes which made no sense for me.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2607 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    Anthony Stokes - Id take any money we could get for him. The odd goal constantly save him from being criticised for lazy $#@! performances. He’s our Kris Boyd.
    Lewis Stevenson - A loyal servant. Can’t beat a man and his crossing is awful.
    Brandon Barker - Cancel the loan. Pace doesn’t excuse awful decision making and no goal threat.

These players need replaced if we really want to compete wilt the top of the league, right?
    Stokes is our best striker and the one most likely to get a goal for us. He had a poor game yesterday like several others but still stepped up for the penalty in a pressurised situation and took it superbly. It's not his fault we had a defensive calamity thereafter which cost us the game. His penalty should have got us a point. He has the quality and big game mentality none of our other strikers have, so IMO it would be mental to let him leave in January unless there are other off field matters with him which are causing big problems. I've said before he is one of those players you have to take with warts and all. The baggage that comes with Stokes is that he is an unstable character with a history of causing problems. In order to get a player of his quality in to our team, a club like Hibs sometimes has to take a gamble and this is what we have done with Anthony Stokes. I would suggest his goal return for the season so far would indicate that the gamble has worked quite well up to now.

I agree that we could do with a better left-back than the highly dependable Lewis Stevenson but I doubt we will find one in January. I think we do need cover for his position in the meantime and someone to challenge him.

Barker is a young guy on loan from Manchester City in order to get games and develop in a reasonably competitive league. He clearly has natural talent and has pace and can beat players...attributes I love to see in any player. Like most other wingers he is inconsistent and tends to fall out of games. He isn't the hardest working player by any means and he can't score goals. If he could do all of that in addition to the qualities he does have he wouldn't have been punted up to Scotland, he would be playing full-time for a top English Championship club or a lower Premiership outfit. What he does give us is length, width, skill and pace on the left wing...something we have needed for a long time. He is only here till the end of the season and I would suggest he will become more effective for us as the season goes on. I also have a feeling that part of his loan arrangement with Man City will be that he plays as often as he can in the Hibs first team.

We do need another striker in during January though as we simply don't have enough in the current first team squad.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)
    Don't understand what is going on with BB when he arrived I watched a you tube clip of him banging in goals and ripping the erse out of players with pace and skill. He doesn't seem to know when to hit the trigger all of a sudden.

Stokes Is what he is. But needs to really start earning his keep, one of the most talented strikers in this league and you wouldn't know he was in it.

Seems like as ever we need more goal scoring options in January.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    I think all three can stake a claim for being in our strongest XI at the minute. I can understand wanting to sign players ahead of them in those positions, but suggesting outright getting rid is histrionic imo.
    Guardian-knitting muesli-reading No Logo "baa-baa green sheep" student PC thought police

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    As much as I’d like s couple players in I would settle for none in if it meant not losing any players more important to keep j Mc effi hanlon imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cammy1969 View Post
    As much as I’d like s couple players in I would settle for none in if it meant not losing any players more important to keep j Mc effi hanlon imo

That's pretty well how I feel too. The only exception might be that we're a little light in numbers up front should injury or suspension strike.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    Anthony Stokes - Id take any money we could get for him. The odd goal constantly save him from being criticised for lazy $#@! performances. He’s our Kris Boyd.Lewis Stevenson - A loyal servant. Can’t beat a man and his crossing is awful.Brandon Barker - Cancel the loan. Pace doesn’t excuse awful decision making and no goal threat.These players need replaced if we really want to compete wilt the top of the league, right?
    Getting rid of Stokes are you nuts? It was a bad day for all against a good team so people need to calm down. He’s not perfect as he wouldn’t be at Hibs if he was but is class and are lucky to have him. Definitely need competition at left back and ideally another striker as big Dave doesn’t look up to much.

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4037 Post(s)
    We shouldn't be looking to offload anyone, but we do need someone to challenge Lewis and I want Danny to come in at left wing.

I don't think anyone will be looking to buy Stokes either tbh.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4720 Post(s)
    Selling Stokes would be quite stupid.

A True Gadgie/Gadgess

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Would defo be stupid but we do seem to play better without him starting!

on another note getting Daz back will be like a new signing!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4456 Post(s)
    We should be looking to strengthen any position where a better player in our price range becomes available. It's a big ask in the January window.

Of course when we have someone like SJM that's unlikely to be possible but we should do our best to get the best we can.

So that's everyone up including those that provide cover!
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3620 Post(s)
    I dont think Stokes/Murray is a pairing that works particularly well a lot of the time. Stokes and Jason worked and, ironically, i think Murray and Jason would work but i dont think Stokes and Murray make a good combo. It may yet come good i guess but at the moment it doesn`t work for me. Shame as they are both good players individually, though Stokes is never a lone striker. I wouldn`t offload him though.

I agree we need a better quality LB. Sorry Lewis and Barker is a loan deal so i see no problem really in keeping hold of him till the Summer. His pace could prove useful before the end of the season.
    I started out with nothing and i`ve still got most of it left.

" Without people, you`re nothing.." - Joe Strummer.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I dont think Stokes/Murray is a pairing that works particularly well a lot of the time. Stokes and Jason worked and, ironically, i think Murray and Jason would work but i dont think Stokes and Murray make a good combo. It may yet come good i guess but at the moment it doesn`t work for me. Shame as they are both good players individually, though Stokes is never a lone striker. I wouldn`t offload him though.

I agree we need a better quality LB. Sorry Lewis and Barker is a loan deal so i see no problem really in keeping hold of him till the Summer. His pace could prove useful before the end of the season.
    People said the same about Stokes and Jason for the most part. A cup win changed how people regarded that partnership.

By common opinion, it seems considered to me that Stokes doesn't work well with any of the options we've had in the past two seasons. Nor is he considered effective as a lone striker. I like Stokes and think he has quality. I'm left wondering just how people think he can be used though.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    People said the same about Stokes and Jason for the most part. A cup win changed how people regarded that partnership.

By common opinion, it seems considered to me that Stokes doesn't work well with any of the options we've had in the past two seasons. Nor is he considered effective as a lone striker. I like Stokes and think he has quality. I'm left wondering just how people think he can be used though.
    not sure how well Stokes and JC worked cup glory aside..( and what an aside )

worst series of league results in the history of the club occurred in their spell up front together I think
    until the sky turns green

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post

worst series of league results in the history of the club occurred in their spell up front together I think
    Really?!!

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I would agree, as a pair it never really worked for me that well.

I suppose part of the skill of a manager is not in just finding the best players for each position but in putting players together that blend and accentuate each others abilities as well as their own. Easier said than done.

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4037 Post(s)
    Stokes needs to play alongside an out and out poacher.
    He wants to move about, control the ball, turn etc etc.
    Cummings was the exact same, he literally is the perfect poacher but wanted to play with the ball.
    That's why they didn't work together.

Stokes and Murray don't work because Murray is a runner, he feeds off his midfield and opponents defensive mistakes.
    Stokes playstyle doesn't compliment him too directly.

It could still work, but only with Stokes playing wide imo.
    With a much higher work rate. Against StJ I really wasn't impressed with his attitude or application tbh.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2596 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammi View Post
    Stokes needs to play alongside an out and out poacher.
    He wants to move about, control the ball, turn etc etc.
    Cummings was the exact same, he literally is the perfect poacher but wanted to play with the ball.
    That's why they didn't work together.

Stokes and Murray don't work because Murray is a runner, he feeds off his midfield and opponents defensive mistakes.
    Stokes playstyle doesn't compliment him too directly.

It could still work, but only with Stokes playing wide imo.
    With a much higher work rate. Against StJ I really wasn't impressed with his attitude or application tbh.
    Me neither, and hopefully Lennon too , and give him a rocket up his arse. I think Stokes will have a good game tomorrow.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)
    Stokesy is a superb footballer but I think is S Murray is pretty handy in the 6 yard box, look at the winner against Dundee.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Agree. All players have poor games but he is class

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1786 Post(s)
    The strikers aren't the issue, we need midfielders who can chip in with goals, Dylan is our best midfielder and if someone comes in and offers silly money for SJM I would bite their hands off them, Boyler isn't a natural finisher either and for me misses too many chances that would have killed games therefore I would like to see someone challenge him.

Two strikers also required if the rumours are true.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6652 Post(s)
    Stokes in big fallout with Lennon and sent home from training earlier in the week according to rumour.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Hopefully if anyone can man manage him it’s Lennon!

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6935 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Stokes in big fallout with Lennon and sent home from training earlier in the week according to rumour.
    If it's just a rumour it's a strong one and if it's just the flu bug I'd suggest he's awfy unlucky getting it again having only had it a few weeks back....

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1736 Post(s)
    I don’t think Neil Lennon is particularly sentimental.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    990 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t get rid of Anthony Stokes until he does something so ludicrous that we have to get rid of him. Great ability, he’s a big game player who can make an impact, and he hates the huns. That’ll do for me.

But I agree with what others are saying about his place in the team. In a league as cut-throat as this, it’s often difficult to justify giving a player effectively free rein to do whatever he likes (and, hopefully, without blocking or frustrating a team mate who’s position he keeps ending up in). If he doesn’t work well with Simon Murray, and we don’t think big Dave is up to much, then we need to find someone that he can work with more effectively; that should be the January priority, should it be the case. Then, at least Murray becomes an additional option rather than the square peg into a round hole of a partnership that doesn’t seem to work terribly well.

Barker’s on loan, and can make something happen in a tight game. I see no real reason to offload him, unless he’s taking up resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

As for Lewis Stevenson:

Criticising him feels like cheating on the Mrs. It just feels… Dirty. And morally out of order. But the truth is that if we didn’t love the little bugger so much, we’d have little trouble concluding that he’s just not good enough at this level and is a weak link that teams are consistently looking to exploit.

We’ve needed to replace him for years, but I doubt January will see the perfect replacement pop up.

Skivin cooncil Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I wouldn’t get rid of Anthony Stokes until he does something so ludicrous that we have to get rid of him. Great ability, he’s a big game player who can make an impact, and he hates the huns. That’ll do for me.

But I agree with what others are saying about his place in the team. In a league as cut-throat as this, it’s often difficult to justify giving a player effectively free rein to do whatever he likes (and, hopefully, without blocking or frustrating a team mate who’s position he keeps ending up in). If he doesn’t work well with Simon Murray, and we don’t think big Dave is up to much, then we need to find someone that he can work with more effectively; that should be the January priority, should it be the case. Then, at least Murray becomes an additional option rather than the square peg into a round hole of a partnership that doesn’t seem to work terribly well.

Barker’s on loan, and can make something happen in a tight game. I see no real reason to offload him, unless he’s taking up resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

As for Lewis Stevenson:

Criticising him feels like cheating on the Mrs. It just feels… Dirty. And morally out of order. But the truth is that if we didn’t love the little bugger so much, we’d have little trouble concluding that he’s just not good enough at this level and is a weak link that teams are consistently looking to exploit.

We’ve needed to replace him for years, but I doubt January will see the perfect replacement pop up.
    Maybe it's time to try Big Dav and Murray together. It may be that Murray will thrive on the big fellas ability to win the ball in the air. It smacks a bit of long ball tactics, but in some games you do what you have to, to win.
    And who knows, Big Dav may have decent feet on him, too.
    Give him a chance.
    And if Stokes is going to cause grief, get him to $#@! out the door.
    Ever play this game chief?

GoGO Back To Forum