vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2610 Post(s)

Your first Derby match

Interesting to hear when everybody's first derby match they attended was and what they can remember of it ?

The first time my dad took me and my brother to a derby was at Easter Road and it must have been around 1974/75. I was about 9 or 10. He had refused to take us to big matches such as Old Firm games and derbies up till then because of the hooliganism and crowd trouble which was the norm in those days. Anyway, I remember Hibs won 2-1 and Alex Cropley scored the winner with a penalty. I think the other goal was an OG from Hearts defender Dave Clunie. Coming out of the ground at the end my dad's pre-match fears were confirmed as we were pelted with stones thrown from disgruntled Hears fans as we came down the steps of the embankment at the side of the old east terracing. He had to shield us from the stones being thrown. Wasn't too bothered though as we had won...which was the case in the vast majority of derbies in the 70's.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 11-11-17 at 20:39.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1742 Post(s)
    0-0 1985 under the new roofed east terrace in the pouring rain.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6945 Post(s)
    1983 around November IIRC. Robertson put them ahead through a lucky deflection and Hibs equalised through Bobby Thomson IIRC. Do remember my Dad raving about the performance of John Blackley throughout the game. And $#@! I do remember the butterflies in my stomach the whole week building up to the game. Genuinely feeling sick with excitement at school all week.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    New Year 1974. Couldn't see very much but we were far better than them. I remember being given satsumas and monkey nuts by an old guy next to us and half bottles of whisky being passed round the adults. Probably the only time I ever encountered one of those big rattles and was too weak to spin it.

Radgie, Gadgie, Onion Badgie Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    October 1987, 2-1 win at ER. My first time in the east terracing. Fans exuberantly on the pitch and a Kano winner to end 17 in a row. Loved it 😊

Mental Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    First one I can actually remember is the millennium derby.

I do recall being in the old main stand at Tynecastle near the gorgie end at one point though? Must’ve been mid 90’s.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Until I was secondary age, I wasn’t allowed to go to a derby. The first one after I left primary was in September 1990- just a couple of months after Mercer’s failed takeover bid.

By chance, I had been selected as a ball boy for this game, in the days when they were drawn by ballot from Hibs Kids members. I was very excited and totally unprepared for what transpired.

I have never known an atmosphere so poisonous- the tension was enormous. I was positioned on halfway and when Hearts took the lead, I turned around to see several blokes climbing the perimeter fence and dozens of others trying to burst through the gate onto the pitch.

The next thing I knew, a roar erupted and a guy appeared to have John Robertson by the throat. A similarly inclined Hearts fan ran on and exacted revenge before a riot seemed set to begin.

I was absolutely petrified and can remember breaking the golden rule of ballboying- I ran across the pitch!

The old gym under the main stand was where we got changed and we headed towards there before realising we couldn’t go in: it was being used as a temporary cell by L&B police! My memory is that the police discussed abandoning the game at that point and then again at half time, by which time Hearts were leading 3-0, against a backdrop of naked aggression on the terracing and an overwrought police force.

The second half came and went without any further incident; I read Robertson saying recently that the police visited the Hearts changing room at half time and advised them to take their foot off the pedal. This may be true and was probably a wise move but I distinctly remember John Colquhoun trying very hard to score. Make of that, and make of him, what you will!

P

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1649 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until I was secondary age, I wasn’t allowed to go to a derby. The first one after I left primary was in September 1990- just a couple of months after Mercer’s failed takeover bid.By chance, I had been selected as a ball boy for this game, in the days when they were drawn by ballot from Hibs Kids members. I was very excited and totally unprepared for what transpired.I have never known an atmosphere so poisonous- the tension was enormous. I was positioned on halfway and when Hearts took the lead, I turned around to see several blokes climbing the perimeter fence and dozens of others trying to burst through the gate onto the pitch. The next thing I knew, a roar erupted and a guy appeared to have John Robertson by the throat. A similarly inclined Hearts fan ran on and exacted revenge before a riot seemed set to begin.I was absolutely petrified and can remember breaking the golden rule of ballboying- I ran across the pitch! The old gym under the main stand was where we got changed and we headed towards there before realising we couldn’t go in: it was being used as a temporary cell by L&B police! My memory is that the police discussed abandoning the game at that point and then again at half time, by which time Hearts were leading 3-0, against a backdrop of naked aggression on the terracing and an overwrought police force.The second half came and went without any further incident; I read Robertson saying recently that the police visited the Hearts changing room at half time and advised them to take their foot off the pedal. This may be true and was probably a wise move but I distinctly remember John Colquhoun trying very hard to score. Make of that, and make of him, what you will!P
    I was at the fixture with my old man. I was about 11 at the time and never experienced and atmosphere like it. We left at half time, thought the place was going to explode. One vivid memory was some young lad standing on the fence just screaming at the refs. He had Mickey Mouse shaved in to the back of his head.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    I was at the fixture with my old man. I was about 11 at the time and never experienced and atmosphere like it. We left at half time, thought the place was going to explode. One vivid memory was some young lad standing on the fence just screaming at the refs. He had Mickey Mouse shaved in to the back of his head.
    It’s a really vivid memory for me. My dad and brother were in the centre stand and said it was chaos in there too because there were Hearts fans in there and to the right in the old wing stand.

“Tribal” indeed, Wallace...

P

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Never been yet. Will be there in March next year.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2599 Post(s)
    1966 or 67 I went wi a pal and his dad, both jambos, I think auld Jimmy was tryin tae turn me, 😄,it was also my first match Hibs won 3-1 and that was me hooked. I worked with auld Jimmy for a while and he confirmed he was tryin tae turn me. Glad it didnae work .Jimmy Passed away a couple of years ago and I spoke tae his laddie ,who i’d no seen for over 40 years, at the funeral. Had a wee bit banter about Hibs and Hearts, him windin me up about 1902. We won the cup a month later. 👌

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    New Year 1974. Couldn't see very much but we were far better than them. I remember being given satsumas and monkey nuts by an old guy next to us and half bottles of whisky being passed round the adults. Probably the only time I ever encountered one of those big rattles and was too weak to spin it.

It was THAT match the previous New Year's Day. We almost missed the first goal. I had been supporting Hibs for only a few months', so did not appreciate it as much as I would today.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2273 Post(s)
    1978, told story before of how we parked a bon accord lorry next to the hibs club and left a rangers supporter to watch it, having returned early from Penicuik run. Rab Watson was driver and I met him and his bro recently at games. We also took a jambo in and sat int he cowshed. Won 2-1 in the Scottish cup quarters and was amazing experience with mix of supporters in the cooshed

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2087 Post(s)
    Think it was tom hart cup circa 1982 with Hibs winning one nil.

Hearts were a lower league team when I started going to games regularly around 1981
    until the sky turns green

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    I've been going to games since 1996 (regularly since 98/99) but I wasn't allowed to go to derbies for a few years because it'd be too 'dangerous'. Although, personally I think it was so my dad could have a pint to calm his pre-match nerves without the issue of trying to get me into a pub.

My first derby was a 1-0 win at Easter Road in August 2003. Garry O'Connor scored a very late winner set up by Stephen Dobbie & Grant Brebner was sent off just before half time. A disabled guy's carer ran on the pitch and tried to attack the ref as he was walking off the pitch at HT.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2087 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post
    I've been going to games since 1996 (regularly since 98/99) but I wasn't allowed to go to derbies for a few years because it'd be too 'dangerous'. Although, personally I think it was so my dad could have a pint to calm his pre-match nerves without the issue of trying to get me into a pub.

My first derby was a 1-0 win at Easter Road in August 2003. Garry O'Connor scored a very late winner set up by Stephen Dobbie & Grant Brebner was sent off just before half time. A disabled guy's carer ran on the pitch and tried to attack the ref as he was walking off the pitch at HT.
    An all time classic derby!
    until the sky turns green

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    An all time classic derby!
    Aye, not a bad way to start my derby career!
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    873 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post
    I've been going to games since 1996 (regularly since 98/99) but I wasn't allowed to go to derbies for a few years because it'd be too 'dangerous'. Although, personally I think it was so my dad could have a pint to calm his pre-match nerves without the issue of trying to get me into a pub. My first derby was a 1-0 win at Easter Road in August 2003. Garry O'Connor scored a very late winner set up by Stephen Dobbie & Grant Brebner was sent off just before half time. A disabled guy's carer ran on the pitch and tried to attack the ref as he was walking off the pitch at HT.
    Similar story for me, but not as classic a game (although it must have been the first derby after we came back up from the old first div). I had been going to watch Hibs on and off with my uncle for most of my childhood but never went to a derby with him.

It wasn’t until I was 17 and me and my mates were already getting the train from Markinch to Edinburgh for bevvying anyway that I took in a derby. It was a 1-1 draw. Latapy put us in front with a pen before one of their mob equalised with about 10-15mins to go (can’t remember which gunt player it was off the top of my head).

We were the better team too, Latapy and Lehmann both passed up great chances before our goal. It was the start of a great run against the gunts too. Just a shame we didn’t get the win we deserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    95 ish when the stands behinds the goals had been demolished - 3-1 Hibs - sure I even saw Mickey Weir score a header that day

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    My first derby match was my first Hibs match, the one where Derek Riordan basically passed it into the net from 25 yards.

Finished 1-1, think Mark de Vries scored a penalty for the gunts?

Optomistic Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    686 Post(s)
    21. 01.1977. Re arranged New Years Derby. Ally Macleod scored the only goal for us. It was a very feisty affair on The terraces and an eye opener for a 10 years old Lexo. 😀
    " It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out: it is the pebble in your shoe" Muhammad Ali

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)
    Mine was also the "Mercer Derby" in 1990. Was in the Cowshed with a friend of my old man's (who couldn't attend for some reason). Abiding memories aren't great ones TBH - Hibs fans chucking their scarves away and seeing the poppy thieves in the away end doing that annoying twirly thing with theirs.
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4725 Post(s)
    Can't recall the game but I know I was 10, so it looks like April 84 a 0-0 affair according to wikipedia.

My dad had arranged to meet my mum in Montgomery Street so we could go to The Pear Tree after the game, never occurred to my dad that the green cortina my mum would be waiting in wasn't the best car to be surrounding my jambos in! Her face was a picture when we eventually met up. Couple of years later; divorce, and I think the seed was sown that day!

Norwegian Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I can't remember if it was my first derby but I remember being in the bus shelter around 81-82 ish, I think it was an east of scotland shield match, game ended 4-4, it might be my old age catching up on me but thats one of my first memories of a derby.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    A number of draws and defeats in the early 90s at Easter Road but with no memory really. I do remember being in the Cooshed with my Dad one year with it lashing doon and wearing a yellae kagool.

First real memory was 1996 win with O'Neill and Harper scoring two special goals. I was given 50p and sent hame on the bus alone by the auld boy who went on to get very pished in Robbies.

Not long till I dae the same wae my laddie. Maybe a 6th birthday present treat to Tynecastle next month.

GoGO Back To Forum