Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)
    vCash

Phillipa York

This is pretty surreal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41848100

One of the heroes of my youth. The story is incredible, but the single most amazing thing for me is that Millar was wonderfully obnoxious and acerbic. His contempt for Phil Ligget was legendary. York is completely different.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    That's totally blown me away. I loved Millar, loved his $#@! you attitude, loved him being Scottish. Sincerely hope now she's transitioned Phillipa is leading the life she wants to.

Has this been news this year that's totally bypassed me?

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    vCash
    There was lots of chat about it and interviews with her just before le tour this year Mark

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)
    vCash
    This is somewhat of a coincidence, as this morning I was thinking about writing a post on a similar subject.

Basically, one of my colleagues is a trans woman. We spraff away a lot on breaktimes, as she is a big football fan - well into the bundesliga (she's Welsh, as it happens). I was saying to her the other day that she should come along to a game with my lot, as it seems natural to do so if you're into the football - I've brought other colleagues along who support various other teams.

However, her first question really caught me off guard: "will I be safe?"

I didn't really know what to say, to be honest. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could say her physical safety would be guaranteed - am I right? And do folk think she might experience any other forms of abuse?

It's really set me thinking, like.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6403 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is somewhat of a coincidence, as this morning I was thinking about writing a post on a similar subject.

Basically, one of my colleagues is a trans woman. We spraff away a lot on breaktimes, as she is a big football fan - well into the bundesliga (she's Welsh, as it happens). I was saying to her the other day that she should come along to a game with my lot, as it seems natural to do so if you're into the football - I've brought other colleagues along who support various other teams.

I didn't really know what to say, to be honest. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could say her physical safety would be guaranteed - am I right? And do folk think she might experience any other forms of abuse?

Some of the stuff I’ve said at footie matches is bad………………………… but doesn’t come close to the tirades of mindless abuse I’ve seen directed both at players and on occasion fellow Hibs fans.
    Much as I’d like to think she would be fine, I suspect the reality is that much depends upon whether she is ‘sussed’……….. in other words is anyone likely to make a ‘bloke in a skirt’ judgement based on her appearance.
    If so, then there’s always the chance some moron will indeed make a comment.

I’d like to think not, but like I said, mindless abuse and Hibs fans aren’t strangers to each other.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Some of the stuff I’ve said at footie matches is bad………………………… but doesn’t come close to the tirades of mindless abuse I’ve seen directed both at players and on occasion fellow Hibs fans.
    Much as I’d like to think she would be fine, I suspect the reality is that much depends upon whether she is ‘sussed’……….. in other words is anyone likely to make a ‘bloke in a skirt’ judgement based on her appearance.
    If so, then there’s always the chance some moron will indeed make a comment.

I’d like to think not, but like I said, mindless abuse and Hibs fans aren’t strangers to each other.
    This is it. I'm caught between "we should be able to bring anyone along to see the Hibs, so why should she be any different?", and "I dinnae want to put her in a nasty situation for the sake of a principle".

Hard yin, like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
    There was lots of chat about it and interviews with her just before le tour this year Mark
    So I've read. She even worked for ITV I see, and given I watch it pretty much everyday I really dunno how this escaped my attention.

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)
    vCash
    It dosent offend me but I have to be honest and admit I struggle to get my little mind round the whole concept.
    A guy I know through work has recently started the process and now is known by a girls name , and it's not easy calling him Donna when I've known him as John for 15 years.
    It was a WTF moment when the news was broken for sure Brave lass ( is that right?!)

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5647 Post(s)
    vCash
    I am staying well clear of this conversation, its a minefield just now.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6403 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    I’ve already said you’d make a plug bint so my advice is not to proceed any further mate.

Nice chebs though.

Just examples of poor taste comments obviously.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    vCash
    Fascinating. I'm interested in how she says she was able to compartmentalise things. It makes me wonder if in fact the inner battles made for a more focused determination to succeed in cycling. Here in the US there's a big enquiry into why they failed to qualify for the World Cup. A lot of people feel, like our own Neil Lennon, that part of the problem is that football is increasingly a middle class sport and maybe those pampered rich kids just don't have the same drive to work hard enough to be the best. In other words it's things like Katie Thomson's overpriced 'soccer academies' that are to blame.

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post

Mind having a good spraff with a Tranny in Copenhagen the afternoon after Brondby whilst waiting to be served.
    Knew Hibs were in town and talked a bit about the game.
    Make up and dress sense needed a bit of work but not a bad c_.nt (make your own jokes there)

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    I’m laughing out loud at a conversation we had before

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5647 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    I’m laughing out loud at a conversation we had before
    I thought you might.

As for Shrink, your nice chebs comment is OOO, you never even asked if you could squeeze them.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Micro$oft Hating Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    That's totally blown me away. I loved Millar, loved his $#@! you attitude, loved him being Scottish. Sincerely hope now she's transitioned Phillipa is leading the life she wants to.
    I wonder how happy and content these people really are. In their inner circle, they are probably fine but in wider society they must always have a feeling of self consciousness and anxiety. No matter what they go through to get their gender reassigned, there is no hiding the traces of their previous gender. It does have an effect on people who come into contact with them when it's not expected.
    Charlie don't surf !

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BurbankHibee View Post
    I wonder how happy and content these people really are. In their inner circle, they are probably fine but in wider society they must always have a feeling of self consciousness and anxiety. No matter what they go through to get their gender reassigned, there is no hiding the traces of their previous gender. It does have an effect on people who come into contact with them when it's not expected.
    Not exactly threatening demeanour though is it? I mean if you don't have some kinda sexual hang-up?

Or am I missing something obvious
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    vCash
    So I've read. She even worked for ITV I see, and given I watch it pretty much everyday I really dunno how this escaped my attention.
    Cycling has only caught me in the last five years so my awareness wasnae barry but I did ken who Robert Millar was and his exploits. It was only a unique interview with Ned Boulting broadcast live recently that I put it together, totally caught me out. Fantastic cyclist by all accounts that managed to suffer well on the bike that led to great things.

I'm still torn on the gender reassignment topic, is it a mental health issue? a real chemical make-up in the brain or an outcome of an life event?

It's like the white elephant in the room when this situation is presented. People want to be polite, respectful and not to rock the boat 'you've been so brave' 'well done for seeing the inner you' but the question I would pose is 'what points in your life convinced you your creation needed amending?'. Really trying to understand without ridicule/demeaning.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Power View Post
    Cycling has only caught me in the last five years so my awareness wasnae barry but I did ken who Robert Millar was and his exploits. It was only a unique interview with Ned Boulting broadcast live recently that I put it together, totally caught me out. Fantastic cyclist by all accounts that managed to suffer well on the bike that led to great things.

I'm still torn on the gender reassignment topic, is it a mental health issue? a real chemical make-up in the brain or an outcome of an life event?

It's like the white elephant in the room when this situation is presented. People want to be polite, respectful and not to rock the boat 'you've been so brave' 'well done for seeing the inner you' but the question I would pose is 'what points in your life convinced you your creation needed amending?'. Really trying to understand without ridicule/demeaning.
    Robert Millar was like a young Andy Murray* before media training. The sullen, impatient Scottish laddie with a chip on his shoulder and a burning desire to win, and $#@! anyone who got in the way. He was tremendous, a kinda opposite of the chirpy Roche at the time, or at least that's how I remember it.

*lets see if Murray reassigns in 2040!

I think folk are born with the chemical make up that results in these situations. Because of how mainstream society dictates what's deemed as 'normal' or acceptable, folk like Millar are consciously or unconsciously forced into altering how they genuinely feel until it's either too late or when they eventually do feel strong enough to change it's going to have detrimental affects on folk that could have been avoided,resulting in hurting folk or not doing what you want, a very difficult choice I imagine.

I also think if someone has been thru that process they'd see straight thru that condescending 'well done you' patter and appreciate genuine interest, ripping of the pish- to a degree- and pints and laughter. I think there's a place for ridicule too. If it's your pal and you ridiculed them before, why stop after? Pals are pals are pals.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    vCash
    Robert Millar was like a young Andy Murray* before media training. The sullen, impatient Scottish laddie with a chip on his shoulder and a burning desire to win, and $#@! anyone who got in the way. He was tremendous, a kinda opposite of the chirpy Roche at the time, or at least that's how I remember it.

*lets see if Murray reassigns in 2040!

I think folk are born with the chemical make up that results in these situations. Because of how mainstream society dictates what's deemed as 'normal' or acceptable, folk like Millar are consciously or unconsciously forced into altering how they genuinely feel until it's either too late or when they eventually do feel strong enough to change it's going to have detrimental affects on folk that could have been avoided,resulting in hurting folk or not doing what you want, a very difficult choice I imagine.

I also think if someone has been thru that process they'd see straight thru that condescending 'well done you' patter and appreciate genuine interest, ripping of the pish- to a degree- and pints and laughter. I think there's a place for ridicule too. If it's your pal and you ridiculed them before, why stop after? Pals are pals are pals.
    Absolutely. This for me is the biggest thing in diversity and inclusion that seems to get missed by the majority. Treat everyone the same as the next.

GoGO Back To Forum