161 Post(s)
    6534 Post(s)

January Window

I feel Neil Lennon is already banging the drums in his interviews the past week looking forward to January. It's obvious he feels the squad is light.

What areas of the team/squad do you feel he will look to strengthen?

Goalkeeper.
    Marciano back on form and Laidlaw OK as back up I wouldn't think this is an area to address.

Right back.
    In David Gray & Steven Whittaker we have nice competition.

Centre Half's.
    Hanlon & Ambrose doing great. McGregor and Fontaine will soon be back. With Porteous we have five excellent centre half's so no need to strengthen.

Left back.
    Lewis is a guy we all rightly love. However, he has been at fault for the last two goals we've lost at ER. Whittaker can play there but I'd argue it really isn't his best position? I think Neil Lennon will identify this position as one he wants to strengthen.

Centre Midfield.
    When all fit in McGinn, McGeouch and Bartlay we have a centre midfield as good as I've ever seen. Slivka is a player I like a lot and I think he will eventually force himself into our team. Murray and Martin are two youngsters I very much like and rate. I wonder though if Neil Lennon sees the need for a creative box to box type of midfielder who can add goals?

Wing/wide players.
    Boyle is improving all the time. Barker is capable of better. Murray has been exceptional. Swanson will do better in the second half of the season. Lennon likes his wing/wide players but I don't see any need to recruit others?

Forward.
    Big Davie has been a strange one. I don't think Lennon really rates him? Stokes for me is exceptional. Work rate yesterday and his assist for Murray brilliant. He will always assist and score. Murray has been exceptional and has a very impressive goal scoring ratio. You feel he will just get better and better. Shaw looks the part but maybe too big an ask at his age? I'd like to see him get more game time. I feel though we need another forward who scores goals but possibly has physicality.

So I suspect Neil Lennon will identify three areas to strengthen this window. Left back, centre midfield and up front.

Thoughts?

2712 Post(s)
    It was rumoured when we signed Efe that he’d be away in Jan,Lenny said during the week he wouldn’t be surprised if there's bids for him.... Would we sign a replacement if true?
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

195 Post(s)
    I feel Neil Lennon is already banging the drums in his interviews the past week looking forward to January. It's obvious he feels the squad is light.What areas of the team/squad do you feel he will look to strengthen?Goalkeeper.Marciano back on form and Laidlaw OK as back up I wouldn't think this is an area to address.Right back.In David Gray & Steven Whittaker we have nice competition.Centre Half's.Hanlon & Ambrose doing great. McGregor and Fontaine will soon be back. With Porteous we have five excellent centre half's so no need to strengthen.Left back.Lewis is a guy we all rightly love. However, he has been at fault for the last two goals we've lost at ER. Whittaker can play there but I'd argue it really isn't his best position? I think Neil Lennon will identify this position as one he wants to strengthen.Centre Midfield.When all fit in McGinn, McGeouch and Bartlay we have a centre midfield as good as I've ever seen. Slivka is a player I like a lot and I think he will eventually force himself into our team. Murray and Martin are two youngsters I very much like and rate. I wonder though if Neil Lennon sees the need for a creative box to box type of midfielder who can add goals?Wing/wide players.Boyle is improving all the time. Barker is capable of better. Murray has been exceptional. Swanson will do better in the second half of the season. Lennon likes his wing/wide players but I don't see any need to recruit others?Forward.Big Davie has been a strange one. I don't think Lennon really rates him? Stokes for me is exceptional. Work rate yesterday and his assist for Murray brilliant. He will always assist and score. Murray has been exceptional and has a very impressive goal scoring ratio. You feel he will just get better and better. Shaw looks the part but maybe too big an ask at his age? I'd like to see him get more game time. I feel though we need another forward who scores goals but possibly has physicality.So I suspect Neil Lennon will identify three areas to strengthen this window. Left back, centre midfield and up front.Thoughts?
    Why was Lewis at fault for the goal?

20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    It was rumoured when we signed Efe that he’d be away in Jan,Lenny said during the week he wouldn’t be surprised if there's bids for him.... Would we sign a replacement if true?
    Yup - we may well receive attractive bids for McGinn and maybe Hanlon too.

172 Post(s)
    6657 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    He got done by their winger but I wouldn't lay any blame at his doorstep. Sometimes you just have to admit that it was good strong play by the attacker and not the fault of the defender.

4421 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    He struggled first half against their 21, with limited support from Barker, but Efe and Hanlon let the 29 have the freedom of the 6 yard box.

480 Post(s)
    He got done by their winger but I wouldn't lay any blame at his doorstep. Sometimes you just have to admit that it was good strong play by the attacker and not the fault of the defender.

Juvenile Radge

84 Post(s)
    I honestly thought Lewis was tight to his man and the attacker got the ball beyond him even though he was tight and just before the ball ran out. The free header in the middle that Barker never jumped, admittedly against a giant, was the problem with the goal.

419 Post(s)
    Big Davie doesn’t seem to be in favour, so wouldn’t be surprised if Lennon prioritises signing another forward in January. I think any other business will be dependent on any departures, of which I hope there aren’t.

4245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post
    Big Davie doesn’t seem to be in favour, so wouldn’t be surprised if Lennon prioritises signing another forward in January. I think any other business will be dependent on any departures, of which I hope there aren’t.
    Yeah, I agree.

A settled defence; as strong a midfield as we could wish for; the strikers department good but there could be space for a better Dave. If course current Dave could come good in the next few weeks.

Anyone going, while we're going strong, would be a major disappointment.

PS I'd send Brandon back.

2483 Post(s)
    We are light up front IMO and could really do with another striker. I get the impression Lennon isn't too enamoured with Big Dave so wouldn't be surprised to see him away so we may sign an experienced target man. I really think we need a dependable penalty box poacher but I reckon we will probably have to wait till next summer for that. Competition for Lewis Stevenson at left back is also required, and I would like to seen an experienced midfield playmaker in.

Apart from that we are looking good. Really hope we can hang on to John McGinn till the end of the season.

I don't like the January transfer window.

371 Post(s)
    We should see at very least 2-3 new additions in the January transfer window. Maybe more if McGinn and others depart?

There definitely needs to be more competition for Lewy. He shows great heart but isn't any good when we need to get the ball moving forward. Always a back or side pass and has been a poor crosser of the ball. Mind you the latter applies to alot of pro football players...

I think we'll see one more striker come January. Whether that signals the end for big Dave, who knows. I'm disappointed for him that it hasn't worked out to date.

As for the Barker hater club, I think you'll be out of luck with him leaving. Lenny mentioned that he "..loved..." Barker in a recent interview so doesn't seem he'll be sent back early unless he picks up a serious injury.

6390 Post(s)
    I like Brandon, he's another player with pace to burn and who may well turn out to be a valuable asset.
    I'm ignoring the last game, where he was clearly unwell and his performance suffered.

Squirrel had few fans in his early time at Hibs and look where he is now - let's not give up on Brandon too quickly.

1537 Post(s)
    I like our squad, and I think Big Dave might be used more as we go into winter.

I think we could do with another 2 or 3 quality players but I also think we don’t want to unsettle the balancevofvwhats there. When they keep their concentration they do okay.

2504 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cstkto View Post
    I honestly thought Lewis was tight to his man and the attacker got the ball beyond him even though he was tight and just before the ball ran out. The free header in the middle that Barker never jumped, admittedly against a giant, was the problem with the goal.
    Barker was on the man behind the scorer, Efe was closer.

1487 Post(s)
    I like Stevenson, but the LB position is one we could upgrade. That and another forward and maybe a winger and we have a very good squad.

814 Post(s)
    The squad is actually very good but we lack serious competition for places at Left back, the wings (for Barker in particular) and up front so one of each from an LB, LW and CF.

3382 Post(s)
    To an extent, I feel like Danny Swanson might be a bit like a new signing if he gets his head in the right place and back into the squad. Haven't seen anything approaching the best of him yet, imo.

556 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if no one at all was brought in, save a replacement for McGinn if a big offer came in. Hibs did particularly well in the last window and set up a strong squad.

I think that maybe one or two that haven't featured much such as Swanson can come in. It's also a healthy situation to bring in young players such as Shaw and Murray who could easily flourish.

I'd be happy enough if there wasn't a single player in or out. Hibs are looking ominously good.

4421 Post(s)
    Cover at left back for Lewis. Wonder how many games in the last 4 seasons he's missed? Single figures I reckon. Unlikely Lennon would use Crane given he's using Porteous/Murray/Shaw a wee bit this season?

A replacement forward for the Lithuanian Lennon clearly doesn't rate would be sensible too.

1932 Post(s)
    Hibs are an attractive option at the moment, and the crowds are good..hopefully the money is there.

I'm looking forward to seeing who we are seeking to bring it.

1161 Post(s)
    sadly, I think we will lose mcginn, for cash and Henderson with another striker being bought.

315 Post(s)
    Don't see point in trading McGinn with Henderson as part of deal when Henderson is free in summer. Also is McGinn going to go straight into Celtic squad, doubtful. Be mad to let McGinn go in January and loose all the hard work put in to finally start having a good team and packed ER, far to big a risk.

216 Post(s)
    5641 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    sadly, I think we will lose mcginn, for cash and Henderson with another striker being bought.
    McGinn for Sparky, then we start talking.

I expect John will head straight to the English top league.

418 Post(s)
    Would just love SJM to sign a new improved contract whether that's now or in January would also like us to bring in someone up front but the January window isn't the best for improving any side and usually used by sides that are struggling with injuries and or way off form and fighting to stay in whatever league they play

3382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    I don't see why.

In fact, why shouldn't we be looking into getting SJM to "do a Tierney" and sign a new contract? Bear in mind St Mirren will be getting a healthy chunk of his transfer. We should be looking to maximise our negotiating position.

371 Post(s)
    I don't see why.

In fact, why shouldn't we be looking into getting SJM to "do a Tierney" and sign a new contract? Bear in mind St Mirren will be getting a healthy chunk of his transfer. We should be looking to maximise our negotiating position.

Lennon has confirmed we have been speaking to McGinn about a new contract but no progress had been made. I reckon it'd have been done and dusted by now had he wished to.

We'll no doubt move for Henderson again. There will be money needed for him regardless as the Smellies will be looking to recoup at very least a development fee. I think Henderson and Christie (who is out of contact in summer) would be good deals for the club but ideally in the summer and not halfway through a season. The Killie winger Jordan Jones might be one to register interest in as coming to the end of his contract also. I know it's unlikely as English Championship clubs circling but you never know though.

23 Post(s)
    566 Post(s)
    If McGinn does go we want a bloomin' good price for him. Hopefully Rodders is distant enough not to affect the negotiations.

6390 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    If McGinn does go we want a bloomin' good price for him. Hopefully Rodders is distant enough not to affect the negotiations.
    Because he sold players cheaply in the past?

161 Post(s)
    6534 Post(s)

My thinking too?

556 Post(s)

That's one thing I wouldn't necessarily accuse him of!

****ed off Radge

15 Post(s)
    3770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    The only time we keep him away is when we're spending it, not making it.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

1822 Post(s)
    not convinced we will move for a left back in January, Stevenson with Whittaker as cover might be seen as sufficient.

616 Post(s)

January Window

I’m prepared to be wrong but I have a feeling we’ll do everything to ensure McGinn won’t be away till the summer.

1276 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    Don't see point in trading McGinn with Henderson as part of deal when Henderson is free in summer. Also is McGinn going to go straight into Celtic squad, doubtful. Be mad to let McGinn go in January and loose all the hard work put in to finally start having a good team and packed ER, far to big a risk.Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Celtc will still be due a development fee for Henderson so he won’t move for free regardless of when it is.
    Its Liam Henderson to deliver...
    And David Gray has scored! The captain!
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history!

315 Post(s)
    I would still take the chance on that, bearing in mind he was on loan for a couple of seasons so Celtic shouldn't be due compensation for those years IIRC.

I guess it comes down to Hibs evaluation of McGinn and Celtics willingness to pay it. If it is Celtic he goes to after Hibs. As pointed out earlier St Mirren are still due a chunk of any fee also so hibs could end up with Henderson and a couple quid for one of Scotland's future stars by doing a trade off.

Still to early in season to be looking at players leaving in January even if window is 7 weeks away. A typical distractation that lot will be loving.

315 Post(s)
    Just been reliably informed that Brandon Barker has an uncle from the infamous 808 State. I am already a fan of his pace and reckon he has bags of skill tucked away. His opening goal tune potentially.
    808 State - Pacific 97 (original) - YouTube

1932 Post(s)
    Kris Commons thing never really happened then did it?

2065 Post(s)
    Just been reliably informed that Brandon Barker has an uncle from the infamous 808 State. I am already a fan of his pace and reckon he has bags of skill tucked away. His opening goal tune potentially.

Really? That's barry!

2504 Post(s)
    Really? That's barry!

Andrew actually

2065 Post(s)
    Andrew actually
    Boo!

2504 Post(s)
    Boo!

Just listened tae that choon in the link...now thats Barry!

2065 Post(s)
    Just listened tae that choon in the link...now thats Barry!
    Tis a classic, Bill.

776 Post(s)

I reckon cubik would be better after a goal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y9SYNWkuow
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

418 Post(s)
    I'm sure I seen 808 state live in the Livingston forum but don't hold me to that the memories of they days are a sketchy to say the least 😴

315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    I reckon cubik would be better after a goal

808 State Cubik - Music Video 1990 - YouTube
    Was thinking in your face also but there is something a bit classy about Pacific state, maybe a bit long to kick in tho ha.

Update:aye your right Cubik has bit more instant impact.

315 Post(s)
    Boo!

Your the man to make things hapoen bud. Lets get this on stand by for when he scores. Might spur him on a bit to put the ball in net.

Don't see point in trading McGinn with Henderson as part of deal when Henderson is free in summer. Also is McGinn going to go straight into Celtic squad, doubtful. Be mad to let McGinn go in January and loose all the hard work put in to finally start having a good team and packed ER, far to big a risk.

Rather get Docherty from Hamilton.

315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LSHS View Post