Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and we did it....... eventually!

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    566 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and we did it....... eventually!

There was a great expectation at a sunny Easter Road this afternoon, after three wins on the trot. We got the three points and remain above the the Huns in the SPL table and, deservedly so, continue to snap at the heels of Aberdeen, who could only draw with Hamilton today. Hibs did make hard work of breaking down a physical Dundee team, but I must mention a fabulous second half save by Ofir Marciano, which undoubtedly, went a long way to help us win.

Unfortunately there was no sign of Swanson on the bench although Stokes was named as a substitute. More of that later. Dundee were on a poor run and turned up wearing curious red and blue stripes. There were a few hundred fans who embarrassingly started singing Billy Boys.

Hibs made a dream start as Boyler hit a stunning strike from distance into the far corner of the Dundee net 1-0. The same player could have done a lot better after 6 minutes but seemed to want to walk the ball into the net and his shot was blocked. Then Dundee came back into the game as Hibs started to look a bit sluggish, perhaps due to their exertions at Rugby park on Tuesday. On twenty minutes they equalised; Marcus Haber heading in after a good cross from the right. Our vulnerability to these goals from crosses seems to continue. Lewy wasn't having the best of days on the wing. Worringly McGeouch pulled up on 31 minutes and had to go off. After what felt like an eternity Stokesie came on. The same pattern continued for the rest of the first half.

Lennon rightly changed it for the second half. The ineffective Brandon Barker was withdrawn and Ryan Porteous came for Davie Gray, presumably for an injury. Interestingly Hibs seemed to go three at the back with Lewy almost playing in the old fashioned left-half position. Slivka, sporting almost a buzz-cut, came on and played right midfield, in fact it took a while to recognise him! Then after 48 minutes Rocky made a Gordon Banks-esque save from a shot, which if it had gone in the final result may have been quite different. After 50 minutes there was a bit of a stramash in Dundee's half. I couldn't see too well from where I was sitting but it ended up with both Stokesie and Porteous and one Dundee player being yellow carded. Hibs were becoming stronger and were finally matching Dundee for their physicality more. On 62 minutes we made a breakthrough after Simon Murray scored after superb work by Anthony Stokes. We could have had a couple more against a fading Dundee side.

The Players

Rocky - definitely our No 1 keeper. Handling much better and at the business end of the season 'that' save may prove crucial
    Sir Davie Gray - did ok I thought hope he's not injured
    Lewis - worked hard but struggled I think against their winger
    Paul - came on to a really strong game made a few exciting runs in their box later on
    Efe - not his best match and there were one or two Efe moments but seemed comfortable with 3 at the back.
    SJM - came onto a better game like most of the team
    Dylan - did ok hope not injury not serious
    Marv - put in a good shift
    Boyle - good first half, but faded
    Brandon Barker- playing poorly is one thing, but he seemed disinterested
    Simon - like others not his best game, but worked hard and continues his scoring run

Subs -
    Stokesie - good return in his best position for me, behind the striker
    Porteous - definitely not a shirker needs more game time
    Slivka - did ok, better when he gets stuck in

Referee John Beaton - some dodgy decisions

MotM - For my money, Rocky, for that save

Dundee - I heard someone say they were like a team of right footed centre halfs. That's not far wrong except their Kamara and El Bakhtaoui who did cause us some problems.

Crowd - nearly 17,000 what a club!

Finally a big thanks to 1875 and other Just Backers. It's more difficult than you think! I'm up for doing it again though.......

I'll end on a humorous note, hope it's not seen as disrespectful. As part of the For Absent Friends, the club had had sheets of paper on the walls where fans could pay tribute to a lost loved one or friend. Someone had written Rangers FC! Made me laugh....
    Last edited by jock3; 04-11-17 at 20:43.

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)
    vCash
    thanks j3! nowt better than the twitter feed to follow this afternoon so nice to get this honest assessment.

onwards an upwards i would say
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5641 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good stuff Jock, a good read and the compliments should be for SKII and you guys for keeping this going, I have volunteered to do the Hun game, I hope we get more volunteers, it clearly works, some great, intelligent fitba people recently on the Just Backs, keep it up everyone.

I thought Lewis suffered for having Barker in front of him. When it was Paul, Lewis and Stokesy together all three were magic down that left hand side. I felt Stokesy played like had a point to prove and point was proven, he is a bloody good fitba player. I also thought Boyler was fantastic through out.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I thought Lewis suffered for having Barker in front of him. When it was Paul, Lewis and Stokesy together all three were magic down that left hand side. I felt Stokesy played like had a point to prove and point was proven, he is a bloody good fitba player. I also thought Boyler was fantastic through out.
    Our thoughts too. Boyle was our one real threat in the first half and is week on week getting more accomplished.

Good to hear jock3 fancies another go - thank you, sir
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    195 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Good stuff Jock, a good read and the compliments should be for SKII and you guys for keeping this going, I have volunteered to do the Hun game, I hope we get more volunteers, it clearly works, some great, intelligent fitba people recently on the Just Backs, keep it up everyone. I thought Lewis suffered for having Barker in front of him. When it was Paul, Lewis and Stokesy together all three were magic down that left hand side. I felt Stokesy played like had a point to prove and point was proven, he is a bloody good fitba player. I also thought Boyler was fantastic through out.
    Good point they three were different class linking up. Said on a thread last week we need stoksie to be at top off his game if we want to make top four

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good report jock3, I love the Just Back's , thanks to all of the contributors.

I think they were singing "Dundee Boys, up to our knees in Arab blood".

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1822 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good report well done
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    Good point they three were different class linking up. Said on a thread last week we need stoksie to be at top off his game if we want to make top four
    One game at a time and a' that, but amazingly we go second if we beat SJ by 2 and Aberdeen fail to beat Motherwell!

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3770 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Lewis really struggled but was given no help in the first half at all.

Barker got injured about the same time as McGeouch, whole section I sit in was screaming at him to go down as he was no good to us that way (literally that)

Marciano's save was unbelievable, brilliant stop.

Paul was excellent when he started charging to the byline, letting Lewis rest and focus on defending, some good balls in.

Stokes assist for Murray's goal was the only bit of real brilliance in the whole game.

Boyle would have been my MoM purely because he drove at them every chance he got and was for alot of it the only threat from us.

For alot of that first half I couldn't believe what we were doing, we were just chasing the ball instead of pressing properly, huge gap between Murray and everyone else, midfield and defense not playing the same game, was rough watching.
    But! How often have we all seen us draw or lose a game like that?
    We managed to win, an ugly win truth be told.

I'll take it

Thanks for the report!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report Jock! Glad the “Just Back” is still going strong, it’s very much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing this save from Rocky tomorrow!
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3770 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    He's going to have to play left wing for us.
    Providing Dylan is okay, our best team needs him plus SJM and MB with Boyle on the right and Murray working his socks off.
    Left wing is a real issue and while Barker has some promise, he doesn't have 90 minutes and when he's off, he's really off. Even when it's for 10 minute spells in a game, he completely ceases to exist.
    Stokes best work came on the left.

It makes sense.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2504 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great effort @JOCK, Lost our way a bit in the first half but second half we ran the show. Couple of better decisions from Murray and Boyle and that could have been a ot more comfortable.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3382 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good work J3.

How bad was the "officiating" today? Some decisions right in front of us at the FF end of the east were quite simply inexplicable.

Thought Slivka had a stormer of a half.

Three points from a game we'd have drawn or lost in weeks gone by. We are getting better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2483 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good report.

Game went kind of how I expected. Hibs looked leggy and fatigued particularly in the first half and Dundee having clearly had Hibs watched in recent weeks set out to stop our wide players getting forward and nullify the threat of McGinn and McGeoch in the centre of midfield. After losing such an early goal they did well to come back and they really took the game to Hibs and scored an excellent equaliser. I thought El Bakhatoui was very good for them. He has great feet and was a constant threat to Hibs throughout. His volley looked net bound until a truly world class save from Marciano which turned the game in our favour. Several of our players looked tired and we suffered injuries to a few players as well. Gray and Barker were struggling badly and could hardly run and it came as no surprise to see both removed at Half-time. This gave us a whole 45 mins of football without the benefit of being able to use late substitutes for clearly tiring players. In the circumstances Hibs done extremely well to win our fourth match on the trot. Going three at the back and bringing Anthony Stokes on made a huge difference. Lennon really had to change the shape for the second half although the player changes were kind of forced on him.

Another very good win and the end of a very demanding run of matches. I think it's good we now have a two week break before the St Johnstone game at Easter Road. Hopefully Dylan McGeoch is able to play in that match and maybe even the return of Darren McGregor although I was hugely impressed with Ryan Porteous when he came on.

I don't go on about referees much...but Beaton was by far the worst I have seen this season.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)
    vCash
    Can’t disagree with your report cheers for that. We were rotten for 40 mins of the first half but as others have said that’s a game we’d have got a point at best in times gone by so that’s pleasing! Well earned break now for most of the players

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    vCash
    I know it can't be easy watching, then putting it together for report. ..
    But I can tell you for a lot off fans it's a lifeline.... as not everyone can make it .. would love to go but can't for various reasons. ..
    So please keep it up guys GGTTH

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4683 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    There were a few hundred fans who embarrassingly started singing Billy Boys.
    They'll have been singing Derry Boys. The home stand they sit in at Dens is called the Derry.

GoGO Back To Forum