Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back from a near Madden-ing experience that ended up rather marvellous

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back from a near Madden-ing experience that ended up rather marvellous

There's some fine Scottish expressions for loud folks with a lot to say but have nothing concrete to back up their assertions. Blawhard. Blethering skate. Walloper. Roaster. Cowan. Today we played the Cowan's XI at The Meccano Stadium in Motherwell, in a rematch of the game of two halves negotiated a few weeks ago at Easter Road. Motherwell have done, erm, well this season. They are in the League Cup Final against the Dodgers, they have enjoyed a good run in the league. They have a forward in fine form. They have attracted plaudits from a range of places, including many Bouncers saying they are one of the few genuine football teams in Scotland. They are better than St Johnstone, The Gunts, The Rangers. They've beaten The Sheep. They've given us a right good game. So, make no mistake, we appreciate their contribution and qualities. But, they are still The Cowan XI. With an arch blawhard, blethering walloper as their main media mouthpiece. And today, in horrible autumn weather, in a dingy Lanarkshire, it was more than a media presenter blawin' hard...

Hibs went into today off the back of another fine Edinburgh Derby win. A midweek night of sensational sounds, sights and soccer. (Aye, I know it's fitba' but that wouldn't allow me the alliteration and you've got to mind I'm trying to follow the work of Aggie on Tuesday. Cut me some slack, eh?). The Hibs went marching on, dispatched of an increasingly poor level of opposition from the other side of the city. Don't you just love the withdrawal symptoms after years of them being addicted to financial doping. Wallet Mercer started it, Chris Robinson continued it and Mad Vlad ran off with it. Now, like the levelled Easter Road slope, the Edinburgh teams are on an even footing, finance wise, and the cold turkey has come home to roost. So, we went into today off the back of an incredible high - would we see a hangover on and off the park? Or would the Hibees continue the theme and return home from the Meccano Stadium with the three points they really should have bagged at home to the Cowan XI?

Injuries and other factors are affecting the options for Lennon in terms of team selection and most Hibs fans were expecting no changes to the starting line up from midweek. Nobody deserved to be dropped, anyway. However, the tactics and formation were to change and we lined up with a diamond in the middle of the park with Brandon Barker at the forward apex.
    Hibs dominated the game from the off and had lots of possession. Motherwell brought a physicality to the proceedings that was not complemented by the football and cutting edge they enjoyed in the second half of the game at ER. They also seemed hell bent on playing head tennis half of the time - header after header followed header after header. The clear intent was to break Hibs play up, stop them gaining momentum or playing the kind of football that has worried Celtic and seen off the likes of The Rangers or The Gorgie Mutants. They also seemed to benefit in this ploy from the leniency (or myopia) of the man in the middle, Bobby Maddening. Foul after foul on Super John McGinn. All unpunished. It would have been enough to make a Pedro whine...

For all our excellent possession, pace and passion in the opening third of the game it took us until
    Martin Boyle latched onto a balls up by keeper Carson. Simon Murray sent a ball over the top of the home defence was the giant centre half, Kipre, didn't deal with it at all. Carson came off his line but completely mucked up his attempt to get to the ball. Squirrel latched onto the opportunity, rounded the hapless keeper and trundled the ball into the net for what was going to be the only goal of the game.

McGinn shot over the goal not long after but chances were few and far between as defences were on top throughout most of the game. Motherwell had their first shot on goal literally just before half time. It was a poor effort that didn't need Marciano to come into action. In the second half, it was more of the same with Hibs trying to play the football and Motherwell trying to counter it, break it up or simply send the ball to the moon. Their best chance came when Petrocelli left his caravan for a wander and sent a rasping ball across the face of the Hibs' goal mouth. Cadden (I think) was hovering, waiting, ready to pounce at the back post. It had "goal" written all over it but somehow it was blocked by Steven Whittaker. I'm still in awe of that crucial intervention.

Girls dont like boys they like Simon Murray had a goal chalked off for offside which I personally don't believe was a contravention of that particular ruling. I'm desperate to see it again on the tellybox. I think the Gunt Slayer was hard done by. Hard done by a referee who did us no favours all afternoon.

Motherwell also had a goal chalked off - Dunne was definitely offside though.

The Players

Rocky - not a huge amount to do but kept another clean sheet and did all that was asked of him
    Lewis - solid as a lump of steel
    Whitty - an unbelievable stop in the second half, a very good outing again
    Efe - he strolled through the game. Louis who?
    Hanlon - Captain Fantastic stood up to the physicality of the Motherwell forwards in a way others have failed to do all season
    Dylan McTickTock - not near the lofty heights of Tuesday but still more than enough
    Marvellous Marvin - always happy when teams get physical. Retire the Matty Jack Role expression. It's redundant.
    Barker - a decent first half but he faded. Should have scored a goal before he was subbed. Didn't. Should have drawn a foul if he couldn't score. He didn't.
    Boyle - squirreled away all day. A good goal and a good outing.
    Super John McGinn- the Super One turned up again today and used his monumental arse to great effect. It deserves its own monument.
    Murray - worked away, was denied a good goal in my opinion

Slivka - came on and added fresh impetus
    Shaw - came on and added fresh legs and pace up front
    Dave - came on and added some physicality in the closing stages of the game

Referee - Bobby Maddening could and should have emptied more than one Motherwell thug. He didn't. I thought Lenny was going to burst a blood vessel at some of the challenges on McGinn that went unpunished. Poor.

Motherwell - competitive but not in the footballing sense this time. Front two were neutered by Hanlon and Efe. The No5 is a wee thug.
    The mess they made of the tickets on the gate caused some consternation in the Hibs support at the start of the game. Not putting seat numbers on half the tickets and telling folks to sit where they want is a recipe for unhappy fans. Those who did have tickets with seat numbers, having chosen where they wanted to sit needn't have bothered, it was a free for all. Piss up. Brewery.

Man of the Match - on Dieu's birthday, by Sauzee it is a tricky decision this one. It could be Efe for being the coolest dude on the planet up against the hottest forward in the SPFL. It could have been Paul Hanlon for much the same thing. It could be Super John McGinn for having the superest arse, left leg and brain in Scottish football. It could be Steven Whittaker for another fine outing and a definite goal stopping block in the closing stages. Seriously, decisions, decisions. I have changed my mind more often on the way home than Tam Cowan eats in greasy spoons. I'm going to be swayed by the final stages of the game and player who was most influential in us seeing out the game. The most important player on the park in the last quarter of an hour was without a shadow of a doubt, Super John. He had a great game all round but when it came to getting the 3 points over the line, he had buttocks and thighs of steel.

Next stop - Rugby Park. No, not the home of the Gorgie mob...see you for a very late Just Back on Tuesday night.

Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    816 Post(s)
    vCash
    Just back myself and that’s exactly how I saw it too. Have no idea why Murray’s goal was offside??!

I think Efe deserves further praise. What a performance from the big fella some classy defending topped off by that box to box run for extra entertainment value near the end. When the boys screws the nut he is some player.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just back myself and that’s exactly how I saw it too. Have no idea why Murray’s goal was offside??!

I think Efe deserves further praise. What a performance from the big fella some classy defending topped off by that box to box run for extra entertainment value near the end. When the boys screws the nut he is some player.
    Seriously could have given the MotM to about 4 or 5 players and we debated it in the car all the way home. I think, in my head, I gave it to all of the aforementioned by the time we got to Shotts. How good is that, though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    vCash
    Brilliant report thanks. I really thought Rocky had made a wonder save so specsavers here I come. One wee thing tho, Cowan was very complimentary to us on radio after the match

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Nice work @SKII, been waiting for that before I go out for a pint!

Big three points today. Follow it up at Killie, then seal McCann's fate on Saturday, and we'll be looking in pretty good shape.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Brilliant report thanks. I really thought Rocky had made a wonder save so specsavers here I come. One wee thing tho, Cowan was very complimentary to us on radio after the match

I had decided to highlight his blawhard posturing before the game. If you heard him before the match then it would all make sense. I did hear him say we were the real deal after the game and admit he'd been premature in his posturing and bigging Motherwell up by comparison. Still deserves both barrels though...and I say that as someone who knows him

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    Nice work @SKII, been waiting for that before I go out for a pint!

Big three points today. Follow it up at Killie, then seal McCann's fate on Saturday, and we'll be looking in pretty good shape.
    And the other teams around us play each other in their game in hands (Motherwell v Celtc and Sheep v Orcs) so something else is going to give if we can get 3 points on Tuesday.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    And the other teams around us play each other in their game in hands (Motherwell v Celtc and Sheep v Orcs) so something else is going to give if we can get 3 points on Tuesday.
    They're all on Wednesday, eh? Killie in a good place just now, Clarke has had an immediate effect it seems. Tough gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    They're all on Wednesday, eh? Killie in a good place just now, Clarke has had an immediate effect it seems. Tough gig.

Celtc aren't, they in the Chumps League

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    vCash
    They're all on Wednesday, eh? Killie in a good place just now, Clarke has had an immediate effect it seems. Tough gig. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Killie v Hibs is the only SPFL midweek game Win and we go 3rd

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Celtc aren't, they in the Chumps League
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    Killie v Hibs is the only SPFL midweek game Win and we go 3rd
    Ah. Well, just lets just do our thing and see where the chips fall in April/May, eh?!

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers for the report .
    It was a game we were always on top, without really working their goalie much. Two centre halfs are classy dudes . Dylan and super are a match for any team in this league.
    Barker gets you out your seat, but he dosent actually pass to a green jersey much does he? Very frustrating player .
    A noisy Hibs support brightened up,a dour dull place , it really is a $#@!ehole. And that PA system, , surely must be the worst in the world.
    A few points up for grabs in the next few games, we could/should really kick on from here. We certainly look a lot more solid at the back than we did the first 6 or so games of the season.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5643 Post(s)
    vCash
    Excellent report ma pal, spot on and no arguements for me. Hibs are simply excellent to watch just now. I felt 'well were poor, nothing like I expected, yet Hibs were much, much better than we could hope. To a man, not a bad player in the team.

It was from Efe, Paul and John Boy for MotM, but who could choose?

A special word or two for Neil Lennon.....you really know what you are doing mate, I love you managing our club, you are the real deal.

Thanks SKII, the Hibs go marching on....
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    816 Post(s)
    vCash
    They're all on Wednesday, eh? Killie in a good place just now, Clarke has had an immediate effect it seems. Tough gig. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in East Ren so I got the Kilmarnock train back home from the game today. Got chatting to a couple of fans about the Clarke effect, he says the last two games have been night and day compared to their start of the season. They seemed pretty excited to be taking us on.Still. Easy three points. Killie are pish 😄

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    vCash
    I had decided to highlight his blawhard posturing before the game. If you heard him before the match then it would all make sense. I did hear him say we were the real deal after the game and admit he'd been premature in his posturing and bigging Motherwell up by comparison. Still deserves both barrels though...and I say that as someone who knows him

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    vCash
    Really enjoyed that! I thought Motherwell were pish to be honest, they played almost as bad as Hearts, we do however need to get more goals!
    On a different note, how dirty was the stand, bird $#@! everywhere, seats were minging, poor stadium management big time!!!
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report.
    Great win today...hopefully the same on Tuesday night.
    Killie are going through the traditional "new manager bounce" and they certainly deserve credit for two consecutive draws at Ibrox and Celtic park, but hopefully things will go our way.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    Great win today...hopefully the same on Tuesday night.
    Killie are going through the traditional "new manager bounce" and they certainly deserve credit for two consecutive draws at Ibrox and Celtic park, but hopefully things will go our way.
    I think I prefer that we go into that game with fewer expectations than we might have had a few games ago. I'm happy that Killie are less of the underdog than they might have been. We can sometimes come undone when folks think things are gimmes.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think I prefer that we go into that game with fewer expectations than we might have had a few games ago. I'm happy that Killie are less of the underdog than they might have been. We can sometimes come undone when folks think things are gimmes.
    Fair point.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3183 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good report, good to read we never fell away after a big game experience re ibrox then Hamilton at ER💚💚💚
    Sounds a solid performance.
    Ive questioned Lennons tactical nous in the past, always liked him at Hibs, but there was just a wee niggling question about it in my head.
    So glad to say he’s clearly proving me wrong. Love his desire to win and the set up of the team is looking good week in week out...
    Has us playing good football to boot as well.
    Much credit is due to him and the backroom staff.
    He has brought Dylan and John onto a new level, Hanlon back to his very best and brings out the best of all the players...
    life is good

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers SKII always an enjoyable read when we collect the three points
    Going by the last few games and your report tonight seems like whittaker has finally found his form and coming right onto a game and we are now keeping clean sheets at last
    There's not many sides that will come back from there with the three points and a clean sheet

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)
    vCash
    Just watching the full game on Hibs TV. Shout out to the fans and the singing section. Could really hear "From the capital" with the drum banging. Sounds quality on the TV

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3183 Post(s)
    vCash
    https://twitter.com/hibsofficial/sta...84870473728000

Good interview, he’s clearly getting annoyed at the treatment our players recieve, esp Mcginn

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4251 Post(s)
    vCash
    I saw Motherwell at the start of the season against the gunts in the pub, there was an unspoken parallel there and they were rank rotten. Two pub teams in the pub!. To be fair they certainly have done well since then including mugging us at ER.

They were on a roll and we've done 'em up proper!

I said before the season started we'd not be up to speed in this league; we've been mugged by a few teams up till now.

It looks like we're now up to speed.

Season so far.

I'm disappointed at the tactics employed by some clubs but that's because they're $#@!e and $#@! scared of relegation! Aye yeh sheep shaggin ****s that's mostly but not exclusively you! I expected lesser teams to be so industrial but expected better from you. You deserve these icy winds for the foreseeable.

With such pish and negativity our national team will achieve the square root of $#@! all.

God bless Hibs and football.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    Just watching the full game on Hibs TV. Shout out to the fans and the singing section. Could really hear "From the capital" with the drum banging. Sounds quality on the TV
    Don't want to pish on yer chips but you may well have been hearing the Motherwell fans. They were singing, accompanied by a drum, "Allez, allez, allez au, Allez, allez, allez au, Motherwell FC, $#@! the Capital" quite a lot this afternoon. We only sang the real version a small number of times.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6398 Post(s)
    vCash
    Don't want to pish on yer chips but you may well have been hearing the Motherwell fans. They were singing, accompanied by a drum, "Allez, allez, allez au, Allez, allez, allez au, Motherwell FC, $#@! the Capital" quite a lot this afternoon. We only sang the real version a small number of times.
    That "Joum Joum Joum Joum" chant was the most repeated.
    it's all right................ but it's a bit of an earworm eh

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1831 Post(s)
    vCash
    was wondering what they were singing, could hear something about the capital.
    until the sky turns green

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)
    vCash
    It was non stop in the first ten minutes of the game, with the drum. Sounds like it was them. Game didn't have any commentary so you could hear everything. Lennon shouts and encourages the team for 90 minutes, actually prefer watching the game without any commentary. No offense to Cliff

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    It was non stop in the first ten minutes of the game, with the drum. Sounds like it was them. Game didn't have any commentary so you could hear everything. Lennon shouts and encourages the team for 90 minutes, actually prefer watching the game without any commentary. No offense to Cliff
    They definitely sang their version way more than we sang the original. You wouldn't have realised what was going on because you wouldn't be expecting them to be singing our songs with a twist. You had to be there to realise...

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5643 Post(s)
    vCash
    Very poor 6 minutes of highlights here, missing the Simon Murray 'offside' completely.

Motherwell FC TV: Highlights from Fir Park
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2505 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Very poor 6 minutes of highlights here, missing the Simon Murray 'offside' completely.

Motherwell FC TV: Highlights from Fir Park
    Always goin tae show the best bits from the home team , crucial block by Whittaker though, he looks like he’s coming onto his game going by the ‘just back’

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5643 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Always goin tae show the best bits from the home team , crucial block by Whittaker though, he looks like he’s coming onto his game going by the ‘just back’
    Last 3 games, he has started to look like the player we thought we signed.
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2505 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Last 3 games, he has started to look like the player we thought we signed.
    Yip, doubted him but glad he’s proving me wrong.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3772 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Yip, doubted him but glad he’s proving me wrong.
    Me too, really hadn't been impressed up til this month pretty much. Glad it's starting to show. Long may it continue.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2505 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammi View Post
    Me too, really hadn't been impressed up til this month pretty much. Glad it's starting to show. Long may it continue.
    👍🇳🇬

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Watched the highlights on Sportscene...some good attacking football from Hibs which really should have resulted in more goals being scored. Nothing wrong with Murrays goal which was disallowed. Great block on the line from Whittaker. Motherwell manager praising Hibs in the papers today...it seems we caught them out a bit with the formation we played.

John Hughes

GoGO Back To Forum