Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)
    vCash

Summer Transfer Window

After finally getting promoted I feel we are weaker in forward areas. Holty target man, Jase poacher and Keats ok backup. Replaced by Stokes who likes to float but for me still to hit top form. Big Dave looks like a dud. Murray hard working player.

Thoughts ?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2485 Post(s)
    vCash
    Lennon clearly wanted the spine of the team retained from last season so awarded new deals to most of our defenders and midfielders who were out of contract. He also wanted both goalkeepers retained so offered them deals as well. I have no problem with that and can fully understand the logic of keeping together a hitherto successful squad who knew each others games and had served the club well in the Championship. We have to recognise though that we are now up against better, more streetwise teams with higher standard players and therefore more questions are going to be asked of our players than before. IMO some have stepped up to the mark and looked very good so far, whilst a few are still IMO trying to adapt to the new league and regularly playing against better players. That will come though as the season goes on.

RE the strikers..as I have said before I am a bit bemused by what the manager has done. All four strikers from last season have gone and from what I could see Matelavicous was brought in to replace Holt, and Murray for Keatings. Stokes was our major outlay in the summer and great player though he is on his day, I don't see him as the penalty box predator type that departed Cummings was. He floats around and when he is in the mood he can be devastating, but it's all about whether or not he is up for it or not. I believe we should have brought in a similar sort of player to Cummings. We then let Graham go to bring in another winger Brandon Barker on loan leaving us with only three strikers, one of whom has been dropped from the starting line-up despite being our top scorer, and the other one doesn't even make the subs bench despite playing for his country a couple of weeks ago. Great to see Oli Shaw scoring his opening first team goal and who knows this guy could go on to be a prolific scorer for us for years...let's hope so. I just think we are light up front and I agree with the OP at the moment we look weaker in that area than last season. Let's hope Stokes doesn't get injured.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 22-10-17 at 11:22.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

GoGO Back To Forum