Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and we were smugged...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and we were smugged...

Nae typo there, fully intended.

So, for the third time tonight, I try to write the Just Back and hope I don't lose a third match report to security tokens or other such irritant keech.

Like me and my misbehaving mobile phone version of the Bounce,the Weegie Meeja werenae happy - only not with my mobile but with us and our ticket sales. A fair few of our own werenae happy with our ticket sales and voiced their frustration vehemently on arrival at the stadium. The Soapies werenae happy at just having to play us...poor little rich boys with only two full squads having to play us 60 hours after Munchen of the Bayern mob. Poor things. The weather wisnae happy with us either. It was a dreich and dismal Hampdump that greeted the ten thousand brave souls who made their way to Mount Florida in time for this lunch time kick off. Nae sense that this was a semi final. It really didn't feel like one. And "lunch" (a minging pie and coffee) was as dismal as the climate. By Sauzee, it was a carnival atmosphere in that first period of the game...

Hibs' play in the first half seemed to reflect the damp squib feeling of the occasion, with some notable exceptions. Lewis, Hanlon and Efe all performed well and Barker caused the Soapies almost as much angst as the fact there was precipitation in the air. We were looking fairly solid down the left hand side of the pitch. Unfortunately, others in the team were either posted missing, whistling in the wind or pissing in the shower, you decide, but the likes of Slivka and McGinn just didn't get going at all. And this was a game where we needed everyone to be at it from the first whistle to the last. Happy to let Celtc have possession in their own half, Hibs seem to rigidly stick to a game plan of keeping their shape, not gambling on anyone making runs beyond Anthony Stokes, for fear of the counter attack, and hoping not to concede. Whilst it is absolutely fair to say that the Dodgers didn't create a helluva lot from open play, they were gifted two horrible goals from set pieces...both converted by the donkey from Shrek.

The first goal saw Barker at fault before Laidlaw seemed possibly complicit too (nae benefit of 100 telly re-runs on the North Stand, sorry). The second one I know was chucked by Laidlaw, like a bar of soap on London Road, and I don't need anyone who saw it on the telly to confirm or deny this. It was a crucial mistake, a fundamental error and pivotal point in proceedings. Had we gone in 1-0 down, we might have had more of a chance in the second. Going in 2-0 down meant Celtc could enjoy their half time cuppa way more than I enjoyed mine.

Efe had taken a right sore one in the closing stages of the half, courtesy of the donkey. It was a horrible challenge and people were rightly not happy with him or the referee for the length of time it seemed to take to deal with him. There were fears that Efe might not reappear second half and, when Whittaker and Boyle were called in early to the dressingroom at half time, we worried that this would be the case. We also expected the poor Slivka to be hooked for Boyle. Neither actually happened. Boyle replaced Bartley (who had been bypassed much of the first half, to be fair) and Whittaker came on for Gray. I wondered when SDG chased the gadgie with the toilet brush hair down the touchline with about 15 minutes to go before half time, if he had tweaked his left knee. He seemed to hold it for a bit after making a challenge on the used-to-be. Again, I've not had the benefit of telly pundits explaining the ins and outs or Lennon's post match interview, so I don't know for sure.

The second half saw us be less conservative than we had been in the opening 45. Slivka, who was now playing in a more advanced central role, should have scored with a header early into proceedings, following a magic pass from Whittaker but he headed it wide. It was to signal the start of the comeback from the Hibees and around the hour mark we got a deserved goal back from a penalty that had Spotty apoplectic. I don't know if it was a penalty or not and I don't, frankly, care. I'll let Michael Stewart decide for me tomorrow night. What I did know was that our play merited a break and a break through...and despite Spotty's protestations and time wasting, Stokesie stepped up to slot the ball away and it was game on.

Sensing things were swinging Hibs way, poor Brendan who has been awfy busy this week, so he has, brought on James Forrest for the pish poor Patrick Roberts and Dembele on for Griffiths. I believe that Leigh has taken to Twitter to defend himself tonight from fans of his employers. Seemingly they didn't think he tried today. How rude. Rude and forgetful. They don't deserve him. In other news, Dembele was on the field for all of five minutes before he scored. Armstrong drove into the box, Forrest then got involved before Scott Sinclair completely sclaffed a shot conveniently into Dembele's path for a tap in. It was a real scunner.

Hibs still refused to buckle and Whittaker delivered a sweet pass in behind Bitton to the newly introduced Oli Shaw. It was slicker than a bar of soap in a puddle. Our kid's run onto the ball was outstanding and his finish equally so. We had hardly had the time to say the "FFS" of "FFS, Lennon, where is Simon Murray?!" before we were back to 3-2. (BTW, WTF IS Simon Murray?)

Hibs continued to press hard for the equaliser but that left us exposed to the counter attack. Laidlaw was forced to make a good save from Forrest before blocking a shot from Dembele. It was another example of slack play in possession that gave Celtc the chance to put the game beyond us. As several players counter attacked our goal, Dembele had the space and time to place a shot past the outstretched keeper. It was enough to encourage the Celtc fans, who had sat on their hands for much of the second half, wary that another Hibs game would threaten to undo their record and treble bid, found their smug voices and could relax enough to use them...aye, we were smugged.

The players

Laidlaw - not our No1 keeper. I have maintained this even though he has played well since coming into the team. We need Rocky back in for the Gunts
    Stevenson - a really solid and brave performance. If he can return Patrick Roberts at the end of the game, Brendan would appreciate it
    Hanlon - a monumental performance. Again.
    Efe - took a sore one, so glad he warriored on. Another fine outing.
    SDG - not sure why he went off? Injured when marking the UsedToBe?
    SJM - another Average JM again. Nowhere near as influential as he was at Darkheid. Not expecting another brace, son. But that wasn't yer usual self.
    Dylan - came onto a very good game. Pity his pal couldn't help him much
    Bartley - never really in the game
    Slivka - should have scored. Didn't. Didn't do much else either
    Barker - his pace caused problems but not enough final product
    Stokes - too isolated, too often

Subs
    Whittaker - good performance, instrumental in both goals
    Boyle - caused them problems with his pace
    Shaw - still not sure where Simon Murray is but the laddie took his goal well

Referee - it didn't feel like we got much other than the whinging that went on at the penalty

Supporters - well done to everyone who got along there today. I hope you enjoyed the second half. I hope you are rewarded in Heaven, or on Tuesday. Preferably, Tuesday.

Man of the Match - a few contenders, all mentioned in the report. There's only one winner for me though. Paul Hanlon. Outstanding again. And not one ounce of smug.

Next up - THEM. We know the script. It wont be pretty but it will be satisfying. Aggie will be on the Just Back.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great summary, cheers

I thought Dylan was easily the best player on the pitch today, with great displays from Hanlon and Effe.
    We didn't deserve to be 2 down, but the penalty looked soft from my seat.
    I thought we were going to equalise at 3-2 , with a bit more belief at the start, The game was in our grasp.
    Swanson, Murray, Rocky and Shaw should all be in with a shout of a start on Tuesday, we have a few under performers just now.
    Gray( looked injured after 5 mins, ) Stokes, Barker, Slivka, and Mcginn all need a wee rocket up their arse, just not doing enough for me .

The Smellies are living off their reputation at present. Nothing special at all, the fact they haven't been beaten for donkeys says it all about all us other teams .
    The green brigade??????? Must have been at singing practice today , what a shower of boring James hunts the fiddlers crowd are . Glasgow is a dump, Hampden is a cowp, Hibernian FC will be back shortly .
    Bring on the poppy thieves , 4 nil the cabbage.

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3770 Post(s)
    vCash
    Echoes the thoughts of everyone I know who saw the game, although you're less harsh on slivka, barker and Laidlaw than them.

Cheers :
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2504 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hanlon had a fine game and i’m Not dissin your choice but I cannae see past Dylan for MOM.
    What a master class, and I’m no sure but on a few occasions he stopped and held his groin, if he was playing with an injury, we had used all our subs by then, then that makes his performance all the more remarkable.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hanlon had a fine game and i’m Not dissin your choice but I cannae see past Dylan for MOM.
    What a master class, and I’m no sure but on a few occasions he stopped and held his groin, if he was playing with an injury, we had used all our subs by then, then that makes his performance all the more remarkable.
    Dylan was a real contender for the MotM and could easily be the person nominated for it. No doubt. I just felt Hanlon was on it from the very first moment until the very last. He set the tone early on with a number of very good challenges. Far better we have three or four genuine contenders than just the one.

I didn't spot Dylan looking like he had any problems but if he did then I hope he is fit for Tuesday. And I hope Average JM's super twin finds his way to help him.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2204 Post(s)
    vCash
    Was in front of where penalty happened. Was convinced it was not a penalty..didnt even get out my seat and simply said it aint a penalty. Everyone around me stood up to a man and shouted penalty! It was given...everyone around me duly laughed and said...that was never a penalty! We will see tomorrow though all irrelevant now and gave us a much better 2nd half than it had been shaping up to be.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm afraid this Hibs team just makes too many basic errors all over. Against Celtic you have to be solid and organised and be totally switched on from the start. Unfortunately we lost early goals yet again in a big game at Hampden again through basic defensive and goalkeeping errors which left us with an almost impossible task of pulling back two goals against the best team in the country. Similar to the Aberdeen SC semi in April, yet again we left ourselves far too much to do. I thought Hibs competed well in the first half and Celtic didn't cause us too many problems...until we contrived to cause ourselves problems. Laidlaw should have saved both goals and David Gray was also guilty of ball-watching with the first goal. We came back well in the second half but it was too late by then. Great to see Oli Shaw coming on and scoring a fine goal on the big stage, hopefully the first of many for Hibs. Some good individual performances from Hibs, but McGeogh IMO was our best player on the day.

Unlike some fans I had no problem with both the starting line-up and our tactics today. The plan was clearly to contain Celtic for the first half hour as we knew Celtic would as always try to get the game won early doors, then gradually to introduce more pace and directness later on as Celtic were bound to feel the effects of the Bayern Munich game as the match went on. Unfortunately we gift wrapped two goals for them in the first half hour throwing any pre-match game plan out of the window.

Defensively we are not coping very well this season with the additional challenge of dealing with better standard forward players than we have done for the last three years. Having McGregor and Fontaine out long term has been significant, so let's hope one of them at least will be back soon. Up front as I have said before I feel the manager has taken a big risk in not replacing Cummings with a similar type. In addition Matelavicous is clearly out of favour completely which I just cannot get my head around...same with Simon Murray. I know Murray is no world beater but his pace, skill and energy causes problems for defences and he can get goals.

Hate losing cup ties...I would have fancied us in the final against either the Rangers or Motherwell. Hopefully we can get back winning in the league again soon, hopefully on Tuesday night but that is going to be another very hard game to win IMO.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

On holiday Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    Loads of fair comments here. Dylan was MOM for me. Absolutely tried to drag us through the game. Stokes just doesn't look interested, but isn't helped by being up top on his own. Great finish by Oli Shaw and hope to see many more from him.

Re the penalty, happened in front of me, never a pen, but it helped
    Kick start us a bit. A bit of luck, but will take it.

Lots to work on, but I think overall we can be proud having got another semi final under the belt so soon after promotion.

Now to do the Gunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5643 Post(s)
    vCash
    One other thing, I thought Whittaker was excellent when he came on yesterday, for me his first very good performance since he came back.
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2504 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    One other thing, I thought Whittaker was excellent when he came on yesterday, for me his first very good performance since he came back.
    Aye he was , I've gave him pelters all season but yesterday’s performance was excellent.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Gordon was going to stick one on the linesman when the penalty was given. Nice to see us benefitting for a change. Comeback looked possible but really can't give them a two goal start.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hibs made a contest of it but it didnt come off on the day. All defenders getting praised in Just Back report but we lost 4 goals so not sure how that tallies up.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    Hibs made a contest of it but it didnt come off on the day. All defenders getting praised in Just Back report but we lost 4 goals so not sure how that tallies up.
    Individual errors by Barker and Laidlaw cost two of the goals. The third was a mess but ultimately a sclaff by Sinclair caused the chance for the tap in. The fourth was a consequence of us having to go for it and being picked off when a poor keeper clearance was pounced on. It was one that could easily have been chalked off.

Laidlaw was murder, there was no praise in the report for Gray. So, not sure what your perception is? Who do you think played badly in the defence?

GoGO Back To Forum