Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash

Hibs biggest waste of talent...

A few contenders...who would be your biggest underachiever?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6403 Post(s)
    vCash
    Deek

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deek
    And Garry O

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    I don't we saw anything like the potential of Kevin Thomson.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    419 Post(s)
    vCash
    Derek Riordan scored over 100 goals for Hibs, and certainly didn’t underachieve in his first spell at the club. He made the wrong decision to leave, and his career never quite recovered. His second spell at Hibs wasn’t as good as the first for two reasons: the team was poorer (and declining) and he’d lost that little bit of sharpness, although he still scored on a regular basis. Did he underachieve in his career? Yes, without doubt. Did he underachieve at Hibs? Not really for me.

Garry O’Connor wasted his career rather than underachieved.

In the context of players who underachieved at Hibs, a big one for me was Benji. He had all the skill and physically attributes to be a 20-30 goal a season striker, and was utterly unplayable at times, but never found anything like the consistency required to achieve what he should have. That said, he did save his best display for a cup final.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I don't we saw anything like the potential of Kevin Thomson.
    I’d agree with that. His injuries and his agent held him back first time round, the clown Butcher held him back second time round, and he was at the end of his career third time round although he did put in two tremendous displays against Hearts.

His best performances probably happened at The Rangers.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post
    Derek Riordan scored over 100 goals for Hibs, and certainly didn’t underachieve in his first spell at the club. He made the wrong decision to leave, and his career never quite recovered. His second spell at Hibs wasn’t as good as the first for two reasons: the team was poorer (and declining) and he’d lost that little bit of sharpness, although he still scored on a regular basis. Did he underachieve in his career? Yes, without doubt. Did he underachieve at Hibs? Not really for me.

Garry O’Connor wasted his career rather than underachieved.

In the context of players who underachieved at Hibs, a big one for me was Benji. He had all the skill and physically attributes to be a 20-30 goal a season striker, and was utterly unplayable at times, but never found anything like the consistency required to achieve what he should have. That said, he did save his best display for a cup final.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d agree with that. His injuries and his agent held him back first time round, the clown Butcher held him back second time round, and he was at the end of his career third time round although he did put in two tremendous displays against Hearts.

His best performances probably happened at The Rangers.
    I can see why people say Riordan. He could have been anything he wanted with more application and leaving Scotland. He's the poster boy unfulfilled Scottish sporting talent in many ways.

As for KT, there was a game against Rangers where he tormented a very good Barry Ferguson, it was amazing. I think Ferguson maybe even got sent off? Another player who I genuinely think could have played for any club in Britain if not for injury.

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3183 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I can see why people say Riordan. He could have been anything he wanted with more application and leaving Scotland. He's the poster boy unfulfilled Scottish sporting talent in many ways.

As for KT, there was a game against Rangers where he tormented a very good Barry Ferguson, it was amazing. I think Ferguson maybe even got sent off? Another player who I genuinely think could have played for any club in Britain if not for injury.
    Yeah, Ferguson ended up kicking KT and got sent off.
    GGTTH

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)
    vCash
    Anyone remember Robin Rae? Great keeper , but loved a bevvy , and a pagger , I'm sure he sometimes played outfield for the reserves.

Barry Lavetty had some outrageous skills, he could have went far with a diet on board.

Peter Marinnello went from George best to joe average in about a year.

But Deeks wins this one by a country mile. He had the tools to go very far , still done no bad , but something was missing .

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2485 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    Anyone remember Robin Rae? Great keeper , but loved a bevvy , and a pagger , I'm sure he sometimes played outfield for the reserves.

Barry Lavetty had some outrageous skills, he could have went far with a diet on board.

But Deeks wins this one by a country mile. He had the tools to go very far , still done no bad , but something was missing .
    Good shout with Barry Lavety....a naturally gifted striker with great skill. He was too heavy and had a drug problem and both contributed to him not fulfilling his undoubted talent. He done well for Hibs in the short time he was at ER...another good signing from Alex Miller. Chic Charnley is another I would put into this category. Another player with superb natural talent who was too much of a bam to play at a higher level. Alan Gow is another one. I saw Peter Marinello play for Motherwell in the late 70's and he was still a good player...although by all accounts he was a fabulous talent at Hibs in the late 60's.

Riordan was a great player for Hibs and a wonderfully gifted goalscorer. Derek's big problem for me was that he just didn't apply himself enough and perhaps lacked the hunger and individual ambition to further himself in the game. You have to make big sacrifices to get to the top in the game and I just wonder if Derek had enough personal drive to make those sacrifices.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)
    vCash
    Liam Miller?
    Chic Charnley
    Kirk Broadfoot

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)
    vCash
    Before my time but I’ve heard a few old radges going n about joe Harper

Danny Galbraith too 🤔

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2505 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post

seen him try tae throw a gunt over the bridge at Polworth a few moons ago.# Radgeasabrush

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    vCash
    Benji is a good shout. He had so much potential but seemed to be badly advised. I remember him looking like dynamite in preseason (2007?) then Collins dropped him for the opening game (derby at Tynie when Brian Kerr scored the winner). He seemed to take a huff for about 2 years before his career disintegrated.

P

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6662 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBarry View Post
    Benji is a good shout. He had so much potential but seemed to be badly advised. I remember him looking like dynamite in preseason (2007?) then Collins dropped him for the opening game (derby at Tynie when Brian Kerr scored the winner). He seemed to take a huff for about 2 years before his career disintegrated.

P
    That was my choice as well. phenomenal talent when he could be bothered. Waste of a jersey when he couldn't. Had he applied himself properly he would have gone a lot higher than Hibs.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6543 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Liam Miller?
    Chic Charnley
    Kirk Broadfoot
    Definitely Chic Charnley. He had real ability. Amazing to think all he really achieved at the top level in Scotland was a few Hibs games.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)
    vCash
    It's a tough one. So many players have looked the part when they could be bothered but, for one reason or another, just couldn't get themselves in the position they should have.

Personally, I don't think Kevin Thomson is the right shout - I don't think he wasted his talent, I think it was hampered by glass legs. Similarly with Garry O'Connor, his move to Russia came at a point in his career where he simply wasn't ready for it, and he never really recovered. It was a step up, but it was the wrong step up. For me, it's a similar story with Riordan. Nobody would argue that moving to Celtic was the wrong choice, but he worked for a manager in Gordon Strachan who concentrated more on off-field behaviour than on-field (see Leigh Griffiths involvement in the Scotland team where he should be name one on every team sheet). As such, his career stalled and he also couldn't make it work afterwards; his performances for Hibs were also excellent, first time round.

All three players were also appallingly advised.

Benji's a really good shout, his talent was wasted by his mood. Lavety's also in there, but couldn't hold back on the hamburgers. Both played in decent enough Hibs sides, but did they look good because they were playing Scottish teams after the slide?

But I'm going to say something that's hugely arguable...

Scott Brown.

His move to Celtic is absolutely appropriate, but his choice to stay there isn't. I honestly think he's a better player than the Scottish Premier league requires, and he could have made a name for himself almost anywhere. Players like Reno Gattuso and Owen Hargreaves have won European Cups, and are far more limited than Scott Brown. He had the ability to step up and develop his career further anywhere in Europe, and he settled for kicking around Scottish cloggers in teams without the finance to ever truly compete.

I think it's a huge waste.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    vCash
    Willie Hamilton.

Yeh I'm an old fart, but he was a real wasted talent. He did play for Hearts as well, but was a Hibby through and through.

Football bad boys: the superlative Willie Hamilton drove his teammates to distraction - The Scotsman

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3774 Post(s)
    vCash
    What's the thread actually about?

Players who had all the talent but underachieved at Hibs, or in their career?

Benji at Hibs.

I agree with the Scott Brown stuff mentioned by Zellviren, but did you see the interview where he addressed that?
    He said the only real offer he got from England was a possible relegation team, and he didn't want people to be asking what happened to that Scott Brown guy?

His argument is he went to Celtic, won titles, captained them, played in massive champions league games and captains Scotland. (or at least that's how I remember it)

I think he could have done well in England, but the Scott Brown that left us would've struggled with referees down there. He was more worried about not making it than challenging himself further possibly.
    But if you look at the rest of his team, only Thomson achieved more really, he played a Euro Cup final.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2485 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm not convinced at all that Scott Brown would have thrived in the top level of English Football and I think he knows this himself hence his decision to stick where he is with Celtic all these years and finish his career there. I don' think he has the range to his game in terms of technical ability and passing skills to be able to play regularly at a higher level than he is now. His game is all about aggression and pace and that's not enough in the higher levels of the game. I also believe he was better player with Hibs than he has ever been at Celtic.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4426 Post(s)
    vCash
    Disagree Greenmachine, maybe not manutd or Chelsea but brown could have played on the over rated English top division quite easily. There were very specific family reasons why scott opted to stay in Scotland irrc and he’s been successful in doing so. I know he plays for Celtc, but ive got a lot of admiration for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)
    vCash
    Alex Milllers laddie underachieved

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6403 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Alex Milllers laddie underachieved
    Both of them........................

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    816 Post(s)
    vCash
    Sol Bamba.

He has actually gone on to have a very good career, might even be playing in the English Prem next season, but at Hibs he was guilty of decision making that was crazy with a capital C and several exclamation points. I think if he had become the accomplished defender he is now while at Hibs we would've gotten a hefty fee for him instead of the nominal Jan window dosh we got from Leicester.

Citrix Technical Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Both of them........................
    I'd be inclined to say they both overachieved.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    I hate hearts. With a passion.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6543 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Murky View Post
    I'd be inclined to say they both overachieved.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Gregg worked and was enthusiastic but the other brother Graeme was possibly the worst player ever at Hibs until Derek Anderson.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    556 Post(s)
    vCash
    Steven Dobbie comes to mind and I think Barry Lavety is a very good shout.

I was at first inclined to say Joe Harper but maybe he was more a waste of money than a waste of talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    I always thought we'd see more of Mattias Doumbe than we did, he went to Plymouth with Blobby and was never seen again. Similarly I thought Craig Rocastle would head on to greater things but didn't.

Grant Brebner could have done a lot more if he'd screwed the nut.

None of them fit the bill of the thread title but worth bringing up.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Steven Dobbie comes to mind and I think Barry Lavety is a very good shout.

I was at first inclined to say Joe Harper but maybe he was more a waste of money than a waste of talent.
    Dobbie was kind of unlucky to be at Hibs during the golden generation in that we had better strikers. He was also out of shape so maybe a point there. He did stick in and have success later in his career though so I guess it comes down to whether we're discussing waste of talent during time at Hibs or of a player who spent time at Hibs.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    I always thought we'd see more of Mattias Doumbe than we did, he went to Plymouth with Blobby and was never seen again. Similarly I thought Craig Rocastle would head on to greater things but didn't.

Grant Brebner could have done a lot more if he'd screwed the nut.

None of them fit the bill of the thread title but worth bringing up.
    Yeah agree totally. Really talented but not massively bothered, more interested in the turf accountant.
    so what do I know

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)
    vCash
    Most football career - like political ones - end in failure. Discuss.

It's one of the small fun things in following football, seeing a young player develop at your club and thinking, wow - this guy really could go all the way. It's less common now that big teams have such developed scouting networks but it's still possible.

But football is... hard. The top players are really, really good. If you were at school with anyone who got a pro contract you'll probably have thought at some point that they stood a good chance of playing for Manchester United or Barcelona. Because to be good enough to play even for, say, Raith is to look a great deal better than almost anyone else.

A guy at my school was offered a contract by Blackburn when he was 17 and he'd captained the school 1st XI since the age of 14. He got injured and his career petered out. There's a lot of stories like that. I remember Quinton Fortune playing against our firsts and him looking like he was from another planet - the speed he went and how fast he could move the ball. You wouldn't call his career a failure, but on that pitch, aged 15, he looked like George Best crossed with Linford Christie. I played University League football on Wednesdays with a guy who played for Brechin on Saturdays. He was so far ahead of anyone we ever played with or against it was unbelievable.

But where that quality stands out against schoolkids, it starts to blend in against other pros. And then begins to be wanting against the top level guys. I remember thinking that KT, Deek, Scott and GOC were properly going to make it, that they were good enough to play for mid or high level European or Prem clubs. Notwithstanding the blunders made along the way, I do think I was wrong. But then that, as I say, is half the fun. And is it failure if success is so very, very difficult?
    so what do I know

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    Most football career - like political ones - end in failure. Discuss.

It's one of the small fun things in following football, seeing a young player develop at your club and thinking, wow - this guy really could go all the way. It's less common now that big teams have such developed scouting networks but it's still possible.

But football is... hard. The top players are really, really good. If you were at school with anyone who got a pro contract you'll probably have thought at some point that they stood a good chance of playing for Manchester United or Barcelona. Because to be good enough to play even for, say, Raith is to look a great deal better than almost anyone else.

A guy at my school was offered a contract by Blackburn when he was 17 and he'd captained the school 1st XI since the age of 14. He got injured and his career petered out. There's a lot of stories like that. I remember Quinton Fortune playing against our firsts and him looking like he was from another planet - the speed he went and how fast he could move the ball. You wouldn't call his career a failure, but on that pitch, aged 15, he looked like George Best crossed with Linford Christie. I played University League football on Wednesdays with a guy who played for Brechin on Saturdays. He was so far ahead of anyone we ever played with or against it was unbelievable.

But where that quality stands out against schoolkids, it starts to blend in against other pros. And then begins to be wanting against the top level guys. I remember thinking that KT, Deek, Scott and GOC were properly going to make it, that they were good enough to play for mid or high level European or Prem clubs. Notwithstanding the blunders made along the way, I do think I was wrong. But then that, as I say, is half the fun. And is it failure if success is so very, very difficult?
    At the same time, there are players who go further than they really should given their natural ability (or rather lack of it compared to their peers). Gary Caldwell is, I think, an example of a guy who made the most of what he had and ended up having a solid career despite never being outstanding. There's a lot to be said for professionalism, sticking in, experience, staying clear of injury etc.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    At the same time, there are players who go further than they really should given their natural ability (or rather lack of it compared to their peers). Gary Caldwell is, I think, an example of a guy who made the most of what he had and ended up having a solid career despite never being outstanding. There's a lot to be said for professionalism, sticking in, experience, staying clear of injury etc.
    Definitely, and Gary Caldwell's a very good example a of that. I bet he looked pretty amazing when he was 15 though!

And there are very definitely people who chuck it away because they aren't focused, like the booze or the gambling too much or whatever.
    so what do I know

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    vCash
    The disgrace to decency that is "andy the $#@!ing pig goram" till he became the catholic hating, son of ulster hero , and then shat on his country.wouldn't surprise me if he was found with a big blade stuck up his hole in a dodgy pubs $#@!house

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dibo View Post
    The disgrace to decency that is "andy the $#@!ing pig goram" till he became the catholic hating, son of ulster hero , and then shat on his country.wouldn't surprise me if he was found with a big blade stuck up his hole in a dodgy pubs $#@!house
    Ooft!

GoGO Back To Forum