Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash

The Mcginn dilemma...

So many wanting him on play tonight, not just Hibs fans. Reminds me of when Goram and Leighton were at Hibs during their careers and in the form of their lives and each time neither were picked ahead of the other. Leighton picked when a Sheep and Goram picked when an Orc.

Same old Scotland and the same old selection arguments.

Has any other Hibs player been so obviously in this position?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)
    vCash
    Prefer Hibs players not to play International football. The chance of injury and tiredness far outweigh the little benefit - if any - to HIBS which is my main concern.

Two goals at Parkhead have raised his profile outwith Hibs fans but he's been far from super a lot of this season and Strachan clearly hasn't been swayed by Parkhead.

He does lift his game to another level in big games though....and for the boy himself I'd be fairly happy if Strachan proved everyone wrong and didn't play it safe with the same $#@!ey midfielders we saw against Slovakia.

Forrest set for another start??

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4671 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'd reckon that it's in Hibs interests that he does get some more caps. He's not going to be ours for an awful lot longer. The more we can get as a fee, the better for the club in the long run.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd reckon that it's in Hibs interests that he does get some more caps. He's not going to be ours for an awful lot longer. The more we can get as a fee, the better for the club in the long run.
    This. I think it's highly unlikely McGinn will sew out the season a Hibs player. The Nottingham Forest bids were derisory and insulting. Losing him will be sore. Losing him below market value will be infuriating.

So I want him to play for Scotland. It will help increase his value.

And I fully believe he's a £5 Million player.

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6659 Post(s)
    vCash
    So many wanting him on play tonight, not just Hibs fans. Reminds me of when Goram and Leighton were at Hibs during their careers and in the form of their lives and each time neither were picked ahead of the other. Leighton picked when a Sheep and Goram picked when an Orc.

Pat Stanton got 16 caps in 8 years whch for a player of his standing was completely ridiculous.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    vCash

Think John Collins was pretty much the same and I think he only got one cap for Scotland while at Hibs against Bulgaria and managed to score in the game if irc Paul mcstay was seemingly the best thing since sliced breed at the time
    Soon as JC went to sellick he was never out the squad and all the mcstay patter wasn't so loud soon after

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    vCash
    At least John McGinn (and all the overlooked Aberdeen players of the last couple of years) is not tarnished with the failure of this campaign.
    Hopefully whoever the next boss is he'll pick the in form players - rather than lower league English dross.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    847 Post(s)
    vCash
    I just don't get it.

We want the national side to do well, because it's good for the whole country yet there are some hibbies, and I'm not pointing fingers, who don't want our players in international squads.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Strachan is just one of the many Scotland managers who opts for the safe so-called "tried and tested" and when it comes to big selection decisions will always go for English based players. Phillips and Bannan played every minute of these two games yet neither the in form McGregor or McGinn who had scored two great goals against the best team in the country and ran the game got any game time.

We won't have another competitive international for about a year now and by that time McGinn will be away from Hibs. More caps would have added to his value, but I expect him to become a Scotland regular from now as he will most likely be either at Celtic or playing in English football by the time the next Scotland squad is announced.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    vCash
    The old guard got the nod as usual. McGinn should've been on from the start.

That said Slovenia didn't select McGinn-type players in their midfield to run at Scotland, trying to go round players with the ball at their feet. That type of football is holding back Scottish football at club and national level. Players from school level upwards have little spatial awareness as a result. They want to run with the ball rather than ping it on and move into space, the way Slovenia - a wee country like us - could do so effortlessly. Junior coaches still cling to the antiquated idea of 2 out and out strikers in variations of 4-4-2. This is 20th century football and its why Scotland is stuck in the dark ages.

Listening to Off The Ball on Saturday talking about Belgian football - where they play four defenders, one holding midfielder, four across the middle and a single target man striker - was enlightening. Not only the Belgian national team - possibly the main challengers to Germany in Russia - but also all the top flight Belgian clubs play this. It works. Players think in those terms and know what they're doing. Its the modern game. Its how Lennon set out Hibs against Celtic and we all saw the results. It worked and we put Celtic to the sword at times. I hope Lennon sticks with this in next 3 matches and we rarely see two old skool central strikers up front again except when a tactical switch needs to be made.

Bit off topic but there ye go.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    vCash
    Kenny Miller while at Hibs. Mark Burchill was picked before him despite scoring fewer goals and playing fewer games.
    My auld boy always bemoaned Alex Edwards being overlooked, though at least in that case it was for good players

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    vCash
    Nations League: Wales beaten to spot in league A by Netherlands - Nations League: Wales beaten to spot in league A by Netherlands - BBC Sport

Not sure about this and don't know much about the tournament. The new rankings come out on 16th Oct and will have seen Scotland climb up the table into a more tangible position than the current 43rd spot.

Anyone know much about how this tournament works ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5644 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    The old guard got the nod as usual. McGinn should've been on from the start.

That said Slovenia didn't select McGinn-type players in their midfield to run at Scotland, trying to go round players with the ball at their feet. That type of football is holding back Scottish football at club and national level. Players from school level upwards have little spatial awareness as a result. They want to run with the ball rather than ping it on and move into space, the way Slovenia - a wee country like us - could do so effortlessly. Junior coaches still cling to the antiquated idea of 2 out and out strikers in variations of 4-4-2. This is 20th century football and its why Scotland is stuck in the dark ages.

Listening to Off The Ball on Saturday talking about Belgian football - where they play four defenders, one holding midfielder, four across the middle and a single target man striker - was enlightening. Not only the Belgian national team - possibly the main challengers to Germany in Russia - but also all the top flight Belgian clubs play this. It works. Players think in those terms and know what they're doing. Its the modern game. Its how Lennon set out Hibs against Celtic and we all saw the results. It worked and we put Celtic to the sword at times. I hope Lennon sticks with this in next 3 matches and we rarely see two old skool central strikers up front again except when a tactical switch needs to be made.

Bit off topic but there ye go.
    Disnae work that well, Thellick just pumped Belgium's top team, Anderlecht 3 zip in Brussels?
    nil satis nisi optimum

GoGO Back To Forum