Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My submission for recreating the Bounce.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1860 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will read this properly when I get home from work.

We are run by a small band of volunteers, there are no staff because we have no money to pay staff. All Admins have full time jobs including a number of very demanding jobs, not least our resident MP.

I am glad my appeal for Just Back volunteers has brought folk forward but it remains to be seen whether the situation is sustainable. To date, due to the way fixtures have fallen, only HibeeZab has had to step up (thank you) in addition to me doing the others. I think it could bring a new energy and interest level. Time will tell how that pans out.

On first look, I don't know where the human resources are coming from but am happy to look more closely later in the day. The idea about the Just Back feedback thing I have real doubts over. I'd like my friend and partner in Just Back crime @1875 give his thoughts. It's been a thankless task for us, if truth be told.

One piece of info we have to hand is how people use the site. At any one time there are significant numbers of non contributors using the site for Private Messaging. It's intriguing given the number of communication apps available elsewhere. I'd love to get more of a handle on that.

Thanks for taking the time to write this idea up. I am sure some of those more established volunteers will have views that can add to debate.
    interesting point about doing the Just Backs being a 'thankless task' for you and 1875.

does that mean in terms of responses or lack of, time taken to do the match reports or other reasons?

from what I have seen the Just Backs always got a lot of appreciation from bounce users and plenty views

have never liked the like / dislike function on posts or the option of smilies / emojis or whatever they are on here but suppose they are common on public forums.
    until the sky turns green

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4712 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    interesting point about doing the Just Backs being a 'thankless task' for you and 1875.

does that mean in terms of responses or lack of, time taken to do the match reports or other reasons?

from what I have seen the Just Backs always got a lot of appreciation from bounce users and plenty views

have never liked the like / dislike function on posts or the option of smilies / emojis or whatever they are on here but suppose they are common on public forums.
    I'm not meaning in the literal sense, in that they were without thanks. Clearly a cohort of users appreciate or like them.
    It's in the greater context. The site has almost condensed down to rotating around the Just Back. It puts a disproportionate emphasis on them in terms of the survival and health of the site. And many of the loudest voices on their potential demise came from people who don't contribute to the general health of the site by posting very much at all. It's understandable that those far away might find themselves less able to contribute to debate but it's not just them contributing to the imbalance.
    There's also more to it than on board interactions around Just Back. There have been some unfortunate interactions in other ways that have scunnered 1875 and had me scratching my head or shaking it. Not going to rake that over on the forum but there have been some posters with some strange expectations about Just Back...
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    564 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A suggestion.

Once you read the posts you want to hit 'Mark forums read' or whatever it says at the bottom of the list.

Unless someone contributes to them you'll never see them again.

To be honest I quite like seeing what the club is saying. More often than not the headline will be enough for me to decide if I should go further and open the link. I agree though a couple of lines of content would be even better.
    Thanks Jack, a decent suggestion.

I do feel they swamp the boards at times. What's also notable is that there is very seldom a single comment on any of them. We might say that's because they're not posted with that intention, fair enough. I think more likely a great lack of interest in reading them.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4712 Post(s)
    vCash
    There’s a few things needing discussed with regards to some of the interesting ideas put forward by a range of people. It might help to focus our minds on the following: why does the Bounce exist, who is it for and how is it managed, given the resources at its disposal?

Why does the Bounce exist?

Those who were around at its inception over a decade ago are fully aware of the reasons for the Bounce coming into being. The opportunity for Hibs fans to have independent opinions on all matters Hibs without being censored or excluded by the those then running dotnet. Too many Hibs fans, with valid and interesting opinions, were being banned from that site for reasons that were not transparent. Dotnet was also cultivating links with the club that left it wide open to accusations of it not being an independent fans’ website and this was only made worse as those channels into the club, through the multimedia route, rendered them toothless as a vehicle for fan opinion. Nobody over there was going to rock to boat when it came to getting access to the press gantry for radio commentaries, then video commentaries and press conference interviews. The then owner of dotnet then moved on to work for the club and, crucially, their ”official site stance” on Straiton quite simply let every single one of the Hibs support down. They decided that they didn’t need an opinion on Straiton…it was frankly a very dark time for the Hibs support. That’s all in the past now but it remains a factor in the principles that define this site.

The Bounce, on the other hand, remained – and remain – free from the shadow of the club removing the kind of access dotnet were getting to multimedia related things. That allowed us to be a loud, irritating but much needed voice of dissent on Straiton and a focal point for Hibs fans to rally round. We were, and remain, completely independent. And, frankly, that will always be needed and (forgive me if I speak out of turn, fellow Admins) will probably always be our stance, as long as the current Admin Team are around. There will doubtless be times in the future where this kind of ability to mobilise the support is needed. We’re not thinking that the remainder of our lives supporting Hibs are going to be all rosy in the garden of Easter Road. Other groups have tried to mobilise on perceived wrong doings, sometimes conspiracy theories and other times with good cause, in recent years. They have not been able to unite the support because of the manner of their approach and their tactics. There remains the need for an independent voice that can be trusted…just in case. The expression conjured up to describe the Bounce all those years ago as “The Provisional Wing of the Hibs support” has nothing to do with politics or the like. It merely reflects the ethos behind our website – we are independent of club influences and other favours that might sway thoughts or actions in time of need or crisis. Nae succulent lamb welcome…

Who uses the Bounce?

There is a hard core of “original Bouncers” who remain to this day. Those people care greatly about the founding reasons for the site and they care greatly about the Bounce being a place where people can discuss Hibs (and other things) in an open and honest manner but without fear of being isolated or abused. The latter part of that sentence is always the tricky one to manage. People should feel free to express opinions that are radical or different to the consensus view of the body of the kirk. However, they should also expect to be challenged on any opinion and be asked to defend it. Not bullied, not ridiculed, not rounded upon. Challenged rigorously, nonetheless. Sometimes, that can make the Bounce a daunting place to post and be. But is also makes it the place it has always been. Recently, some of our more established posters have stopped posting. Some have had sabbaticals and then returned. I’ve said this before – there are times the Cowshed these days is like an echo chamber. I salute the likes of Smurf who remain true to themselves in the face of constant challenges to his thoughts and ideas and battles back when put in difficult debating situations. However, some fairly robust folks have had enough of late and that is worrying. There seems to be a lack of tolerance at times that has made some folks feel they’ve had enough. There’s an ignore function on the site, if you don’t like what someone says or thinks and you’ve had enough, pop them on ignore. Don’t hound them to the point they disappear off the site. This holds especially true on the Cowshed. Remember, most of us are here for our love of Hibs. Not what way we vote in elections or the kind of views we hold on a range of political topics. If people hold seriously dodgy opinions that break the laws of the land, then they will be dealt with. If they simply are a little more left or right wing than your own perspective, want or don’t want independence for Scotland or any other part of the globe or just use big words that make you feel uncomfortable or agitated…just hit the ignore button. You don’t need to leave the site, they don’t need to leave the site. We then have wider range of debate and opinion for those who want to explore the spectrum of thoughts and ideas.

I think we’ve binned one person who is a Hibs fan in the last calendar year. That person was binned for being downright abusive. They lasted longer than probably they deserved to and we had also given them a second chance after a similar behaviour a while ago. We’re not ones for emptying people for having different opinions. Those who have left the site because they feel marginalised and unable to put their opinions into debates should feel welcome to post their ideas safely and in the spirit of the Bounce. I know that one thought as to why some people don’t post is that there is some sort of alignment with one side of the Ugly Sisters over the other. That is not the case. Indeed, I know only too well, having been someone who personally has posted this year about them being two sides of the same arse. Yes, there will be some people who don’t think they are. And, indeed, there are even some folk who are or were Admins who have that opinion. But it is not a Bounce opinion. It is not a Bounce stance. We leave that to the members to decide for themselves. Perhaps those who have felt the two are not the same are larger than life characters or something else that might make posters feel that this is a Bounce stance. It’s not.

Change is needed.

With regards to aspects of the original submission made by Zellviren – and thank you for that – I’d say there are factors that come into play that would make things a challenge. Firstly, the resources at our disposal. Many may not be aware that we are run by a small band of volunteers who all have full time jobs. It means that the manning of the site, the running of the site and the funding of the site is all based on commitment and goodwill. We have been lucky that we have been able to keep going all these years thanks to the dedication and commitment of those people.

However, we are probably at the stage where that is being taken for granted, at a time where social media platforms provide easy access one-stop-shops for catching up with pals from every sphere of people’s lives and all just one tap of a finger on the home screen of your mobile phone. We have our own social media interfaces on Twitter and Facebook but whilst these are useful in some respects, they also bring with them additional admin duties and problems with interlopers making those pages harder to manage. We have very clear and generally successful strategies to prevent these boards being infiltrated by non-Hibs fans with an agenda. We also undertake additional checks in the lead up to derbies and big games to stop the opposition fans coming on to gloat when things go belly up. We want you to be able to lick your wounds in the safety of yer ain folk, if you like. Again, that would be hard to facilitate as easily on other forms of social media and would need more people and more commitment from people to police.

I think we need to show that we can man Just Back on a consistent and regular basis and that it is sustainable as our first point of action. Hammi will be on next Saturday and I am looking forward to his take on the game. After that, I will cover the away days in Glasgow (Celtc and Partick) whilst Aggie will cover the derby. By the end of October we will be better placed to see how that is going. Thanks again to the volunteers for the home games. I appreciate that its not everyone who can get to away games and, as an AST holder, I know I can guarantee covering the away games, which have a wider appeal for the readership because fewer fans see the games, overseas or not.

The second thing is we need people to actively try to fill the void left by some of the recently lost regular posters. Try making the effort, each of us, to post something every day. Just one thing. The more that there is posted, the more there will be to read and interact with. Why don't we make the conscious effort to do this throughout October? Our own Bounce Octoberfest?

It would be good if those who personally know some of our lapsed Bouncers could try to encourage them back, likewise for those Bouncers who used social media, how about posting a link to some of the threads on here, to generate traffic and interest? I will be on holiday from Friday and will try to spend a day coming up with some reading material for the front page as I will have a bit more time. Others might want to do likewise, if they can?

Meanwhile, Owen is looking into options for our social media interfaces and also the means by which you all access here. Lots of good ideas, prompted by Zellviren's own submission, are being discussed by the Admin Team. More will hopefully come from that, soon...

Are you up for it?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4709 Post(s)
    vCash
    A suggestion.Once you read the posts you want to hit 'Mark forums read' or whatever it says at the bottom of the list.Unless someone contributes to them you'll never see them again.To be honest I quite like seeing what the club is saying. More often than not the headline will be enough for me to decide if I should go further and open the link. I agree though a couple of lines of content would be even better.
    Thats not correct Jack. They appear again as soon as another thread is started. You need to open them and close to get rid of them altogether.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    Thats not correct Jack. They appear again as soon as another thread is started. You need to open them and close to get rid of them altogether.
    It is on my phones and tablets!
    Space to let

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)
    vCash
    Jack in the tablets mate.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4709 Post(s)
    vCash
    Well it ain't on mine!!!!

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    874 Post(s)
    vCash
    Just wanted to say...

Thanks, @SKII - that was a really good insight into what the Bounce fundamentally is, and should remain. I, personally, didn't know the history of issues with .net and, as a result, can consider myself educated. I didn't join .net because I felt it was astroturfing, and it seems that's the case.

GoGO Back To Forum