Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 105

Thread: 50 dead in vegas shooting

  1. #51
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    In the grand scheme of things, there is not a huge problem with guns in America. Just Googling rough figures shows there was 31,000 murders involving guns in 2013. 11,500 were murders 18,500 were suicides. With a population of 325,045,272 that's less than 1% of the population dying from guns. Granted my maths and info could be off, it was a quick Google search.

  2. #52
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6677 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the grand scheme of things, there is not a huge problem with guns in America. Just Googling rough figures shows there was 31,000 murders involving guns in 2013. 11,500 were murders 18,500 were suicides. With a population of 325,045,272 that's less than 1% of the population dying from guns. Granted my maths and info could be off, it was a quick Google search.
    Over 11,000 deaths this year so far Would you like to know more?

    I realise you probably didn't mean to come across as shrugging off all of these murders but I read it as you thinking that the numbers were acceptable enough.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  3. #53
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over 11,000 deaths this year so far Would you like to know more?

    I realise you probably didn't mean to come across as shrugging off all of these murders but I read it as you thinking that the numbers were acceptable enough.
    No murder is acceptable. Gun, knife, bomb or whatever. What happens when there is an incident like this, is the huge rush to come out and blame the guns. Your NEVER ever going to stop murders or crazy lone wolf attacks from happening. I find the number like 11,000 not a huge number when compared to the 300 million plus population.

  4. #54
    Citrix Technical Radge


    Murky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the grand scheme of things, there is not a huge problem with guns in America. Just Googling rough figures shows there was 31,000 murders involving guns in 2013. 11,500 were murders 18,500 were suicides. With a population of 325,045,272 that's less than 1% of the population dying from guns. Granted my maths and info could be off, it was a quick Google search.
    Do you reckon those grand scheme of things percentages are any consolation to the grieving relatives of the 59 who were murdered?

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    I hate hearts. With a passion.

  5. #55
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Murky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you reckon those grand scheme of things percentages are any consolation to the grieving relatives of the 59 who were murdered?

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Its no consolation whatsoever. Those people will be consumed with anger and sadness.

  6. #56
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6584 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mock all you want but there are independence campaigners genuinely worried that the UK government would resort to the same tactics. But you being a unionist would probably endorse it to keep us rebellious Scots in our place.

    Long time ago or not they did use military intervention to keep the union and what's to stop them doing it again?
    The UK state agreed to the referendum in 2014. It didn't have to.

  7. #57
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your thinking is so flawed. Limiting the number of guns or magazines changes nothing. The person that decides to go on a mad shooting spree has already broken the law. You really think he's not going to be armed with high capacity magazines and ammo. I have multiple guns all legally purchased and high capacity magazines. I enjoy target practice and steel target matches. If the laws were changed who do you think obeys them? Regular law abiding citizens, not the criminals.
    No, my thinking is based on some notional idea that there might, just might be a way to stop these regular massacres. You say you'd like there to be a solution but everything you have written, and i may add your apparent hoarding of weapons suggests that you think there is no big problem. Burbank suggests one potential 'red flag', a minor step but there needs to be a change in direction. The alternative is lets just all tool up and see who the last one standing is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In order to understand why some states ban things and others don't you have to understand how the country works. Every state has different laws. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws, but some of the highest murders and gun crimes. Most of the weapons used are illegally purchased or stolen.
    I know perfectly well how the country works thanks. And nobody here has suggested the illegal ownership of guns is not a problem, just that its not the only problem. You on the other hand appear to think there is no problem, that 11,000 gun murders year is but a minor issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The argument that there are lots out there isn't crazy. There are over 300 million already out there. High capacity magazines your probably in the billions, rounds of ammo, trillions. Your not getting that off the street anytime soon, and certainly not without a fight. MSM will have you believe that Americans want more gun laws, that's BS. Banning this or that would change nothing when it comes to these situations.
    Re the latter, you may well be in you gun nut echo chamber. Actual evidence shows a pretty split nation but with the majority wanting some restrictions. Re the latter, is there any other area of policy that you think, 'oh well, there's all this legal and illegal stuff going on and getting mixed up anyway so lets just legalise the whole shebang'. Thats argument is absolutely crazy. People avid tax so lets not bother with tax, underage sex happens so lets legalise all underage sex. Its ludicrous.

  8. #58
    Donator

    Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fauldhouse
    Posts
    3,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1668 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1054
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The UK state agreed to the referendum in 2014. It didn't have to.
    Yes it did have to. And it'll have to again. What it might not do is respect the declaration of independence. Why would they? They didn't back in the 1300s
    Game's rigged, why bother?

  9. #59
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, my thinking is based on some notional idea that there might, just might be a way to stop these regular massacres. You say you'd like there to be a solution but everything you have written, and i may add your apparent hoarding of weapons suggests that you think there is no big problem. Burbank suggests one potential 'red flag', a minor step but there needs to be a change in direction. The alternative is lets just all tool up and see who the last one standing is.

    I'm not against changes being made. There's quite a few things I'd like to see changed and restricted. The bump fire stock that the gunman allegedly used would be one. I wouldn't restrict the number of guns an individual could own, but definitely restrict how many guns can be purchased at any one time. Mental health would also be a factor in being able to own or have guns in the house.


    I know perfectly well how the country works thanks. And nobody here has suggested the illegal ownership of guns is not a problem, just that its not the only problem. You on the other hand appear to think there is no problem, that 11,000 gun murders year is but a minor issue.

    Less than 1% of the population die from guns each year, a lot of those are suicides. The numbers have been coming down, but one crazy person goes bananas and the knee jerk reaction is always ban guns. Also if you knew perfectly how the country works, then you'd know that gun laws vary from state to state. Every state has a different set up to the next. I can't carry in CA, IL, NY and a few other states. Why does IL have some of the strictest gun laws in the country, but gun crimes and murders are through the roof? Pretty simple answer. The criminals don't care.



    Re the latter, you may well be in you gun nut echo chamber. Actual evidence shows a pretty split nation but with the majority wanting some restrictions. Re the latter, is there any other area of policy that you think, 'oh well, there's all this legal and illegal stuff going on and getting mixed up anyway so lets just legalise the whole shebang'. Thats argument is absolutely crazy. People avid tax so lets not bother with tax, underage sex happens so lets legalise all underage sex. Its ludicrous.
    I'm for change to the laws too. But I'm only for something that will logically work and stop killings, not some knee jerk reaction affecting law abiding citizens because one nut case went crazy.

  10. #60
    Bounce Flag Co-Owner



    gun ainm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hebrides
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm for change to the laws too. But I'm only for something that will logically work and stop killings, not some knee jerk reaction affecting law abiding citizens because one nut case went crazy.
    followed by another and then another and then anoth.......
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

  11. #61
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by gun ainm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    followed by another and then another and then anoth.......
    I'm all ears. Give me a solution that would stop this from happening. Any individual hell bent on killing people will do so by any means necessary. Legal, illegal it makes no difference.

  12. #62
    radge grandad radge

    hibbybilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gilmerting
    Posts
    9,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2517 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1356
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can tell you it's not a normal rifle by the sounds. It was either a fully automatic rifle or one that had been modified to shoot like a full auto. The rate of fire was too fast. Any rifle you buy in the store is semi automatic. You pull the trigger and it fires one bullet at a time with every pull. Full auto you hit a switch, pull once and it fires continuous until empty. If not that then it could be a regular semi automatic rifle fitted with a bump stock. Basically changes the stock out and uses the shooters momentum to shoot like a fully automatic weapon. I could be wrong, but just from the sounds I'd bet it was either fully automatic or modified.

    If i I honestly thought banning guns would work I'd be 100% behind it. It's too easy for people to make them and get them, legally or illegally. Think about this statistic. The US has more guns than people. That's just a scary amount of guns and your never in a million years getting people to get rid of them all. I honestly don't see a solution that works.

    I know most here think it's crazy to carry a gun, but the fact there's more guns than people make it highly likely if attacked or robbed it will be done with a gun. I take a gun with me wherever it's legal to do so, Vegas being one. Would it have made a difference? No not in that instance. I never ever want to be in a position like that, all it gives me is half a chance to live and save my family.
    Modified according tae Sky news.


    Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

  13. #63
    Radge Donator
    Zellviren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Limburg province, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1373
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Re the bit in bold. Funny you think this because I clearly remember from the documentary film "Bowling for Columbine" that Michael Moore went into a bank, opened a bank account and was given a shotgun as an account opening gift.
    Moore himself has tweeted that only 77% of Americans own a firearm, and that 90% want tighter controls on them. If that's true, and I don't know where he's sourcing it from, we're talking about a small minority that own firearms and an even smaller minority that think everything's fine in America.

    Like I hinted earlier, it's very complicated.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone is a law abiding citizen until they are not. The question is would more gun laws stop these people.
    Of course they would. I don’t think that’s the question, and obfuscating the issue by saying “people will still do things illegally” isn’t an argument against trying to sort it out.

    If there are so many guns on American streets, and again the numbers change depending on source, then that’s where you start.

    Frame the law to state, essentially, that people are only allowed a single weapon, their medical documents and criminal record will dictate when they are confiscated, and create a maximum amount of ammunition for whatever your firearm is licenced for (home defence or hunting). Make this a national law, not a state-dictated one, then instigate a national amnesty where people are required by law to return weapons and ammunition that are over this limit – no questions asked. It’s also advisable to have the law state that you are only allowed a certain calibre.

    Now, would this stop a disturbed individual from getting his hands on a weapon and carrying out an attack? Possibly not, but:

    a) The removal of probably millions of firearms and bullets from casual use would certainly make it harder.
    b) Arguing that tighter controls “wouldn’t stop a madman” is a laughable red-herring. Just forget about it entirely.

    I would imagine that out of the reputed 23% of American firearm owners, only a small percentage will have more than one as well as (or) an excess of ammunition. You’d be affecting only a small number of people, outside of criminal fraternities that should be disarmed as a priority regardless. An amnesty allows these people to deposit their excesses without penalty, which stops the law getting involved unnecessarily, and random spot checks of licenced firearms holders would deter secret stockpiling.

    Voila. A solution that works.

    It’d only be a small percentage of a single generation that’d be upset, and todays youngsters would grow up in a widely different weapons-related American culture.

    The truth is that it’s not a question of difficulty, because it’s not difficult. It’s not a question of public support, either, because most Americans support tighter controls.

    It’s purely a question of political will, from a political class that will have vested interests in the firearms trade.

  14. #64
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm for change to the laws too. But I'm only for something that will logically work and stop killings, not some knee jerk reaction affecting law abiding citizens because one nut case went crazy.
    Hmmm. You seem to only want policy change that doesn’t even contemplate how to get fewer guns on the street. So long as it doesn’t threaten your gun cache

  15. #65
    Micro$oft Hating Radge
    BurbankHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    747 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all ears. Give me a solution that would stop this from happening. Any individual hell bent on killing people will do so by any means necessary. Legal, illegal it makes no difference.
    Right. But the number of deaths attributed to guns is staggering. It's not just about the crazy $#@!s that climb a clock tower and start shooting random people every so often. It's the daily slaughter, the onesies, twosies that happen every day that add up to an unacceptable number. Too many irresponsible people are allowed guns. The "murder suicide" incidents are a daily occurrence. Almost every day some $#@!wit accidentally shoots their own child, spouse or relative while cleaning a gun. Almost every day a child shoots itself because some $#@!wit left their LOADED gun lying around the house. The guns have to be curtailed someway, there has to be very strict rules to ownership. There has to be a legitimate reason for owning a gun not just because there is some vague "right" to owning one.
    Charlie don't surf !

  16. #66
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    Gun law is too difficult repeal. Healthcare law is too difficult enact.

    It seems to me American politicians don't think the life of their fellow countrymen is worth much more than a bullet.



    And it's too complicated for the likes of us!
    Space to let

  17. #67
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm. You seem to only want policy change that doesn’t even contemplate how to get fewer guns on the street. So long as it doesn’t threaten your gun cache
    If the law changed and banned guns I would turn mine in. What you have to realize is, this place ain't the U.K. Your not going to have a bunch of Americans form a nice neat orderly queue and turn there guns in. What you will hear is the cry "Come take them" and now you have a real problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbankHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right. But the number of deaths attributed to guns is staggering. It's not just about the crazy $#@!s that climb a clock tower and start shooting random people every so often. It's the daily slaughter, the onesies, twosies that happen every day that add up to an unacceptable number. Too many irresponsible people are allowed guns. The "murder suicide" incidents are a daily occurrence. Almost every day some $#@!wit accidentally shoots their own child, spouse or relative while cleaning a gun. Almost every day a child shoots itself because some $#@!wit left their LOADED gun lying around the house. The guns have to be curtailed someway, there has to be very strict rules to ownership. There has to be a legitimate reason for owning a gun not just because there is some vague "right" to owning one.
    I don't disagree with what your saying. Again I can't see the American people willingly having there right to own guns taken away from them. Pro gun States will not even entertain the idea, while others might. I'm not against changing laws and tightening up gun control, I just don't see the citizens letting it happen. I think eventually 50-60 years from now there will be changes. This generation in the US are not as interested in guns as previous generations. These "old white guys" will die off and changes will probably get pushed through.

  18. #68
    Maple Leaf Radge
    Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    5,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1228
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is everyone over here getting opinionated about gun crime and laws in America? It's 3000 miles away from us at least and doesn't affect us as a nation.
    Respect this point of view but I don't personally share it. Apart from it being a matter that has the potential to spread elsewhere (the US is traditionally influential on many things in the UK whether we enjoy that or not) the prevailing point for me is why shouldn't we care not why should we.

    There is nothing wrong with standing up and speaking about perceived wrongs in the world. Just because it doesn't affect one personally does not mean to me that one shouldn't care or react with actions. It's important that people have a voice rather than just be ambivalent in ignoring atrocities like this anywhere in the world.

  19. #69
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the law changed and banned guns I would turn mine in. What you have to realize is, this place ain't the U.K. Your not going to have a bunch of Americans form a nice neat orderly queue and turn there guns in. What you will hear is the cry "Come take them" and now you have a real problem.
    Christ on a bike, I know the us isn’t the uk, I know there is a different gun culture there and I know there would be resistance to change, as there is when any group percieves their identity being under threat. But I repeat, because some people would resist has not been a reason in the past to refrain from trying to do something about a huge public issue. Add to that the need for cultural change. As long as people, like you I’m afraid, minimise-the carnage then it becomes more difficult. 31,000 dying by gunfire isn’t a big issue you say. Multiply that each year and it’s a million people in a decade. And that’s not a big issue? How high would it have to be to be a big issue worthy of policy intervention for you?

  20. #70
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it did have to. And it'll have to again. What it might not do is respect the declaration of independence. Why would they? They didn't back in the 1300s
    'We' tend to be like that, us English oppressors. Almost nothing has changed down here since 1300, least of all our political and sociological attitudes to Scotland.
    so what do I know

  21. #71
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6677 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'We' tend to be like that, us English oppressors. Almost nothing has changed down here since 1300, least of all our political and sociological attitudes to Scotland.
    At least you're prepared so admit it. Well done Henry
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  22. #72
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4717 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1367
    77% of Americans don't own a gun.

    So it seems its the minority that want to keep them.

  23. #73
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    77% of Americans don't own a gun.

    So it seems its the minority that want to keep them.
    I don't think that figure is accurate.

    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...-about-it.html

    In all honestly I find polls a complete waste of time. One side always has an agenda. Very few polls are truly accurate.

  24. #74
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4717 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that figure is accurate. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...-about-it.htmlIn all honestly I find polls a complete waste of time. One side always has an agenda. Very few polls are truly accurate.
    Sorry but I cannae believe you're quoting a fox news link!

  25. #75
    Atlanta Hibs Radge


    barney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I cannae believe you're quoting a fox news link!
    why would that surprise you?

  26. #76
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I cannae believe you're quoting a fox news link!
    The article had many polls from different news companies if you took the time to read it. One poll says 33% own guns, another says 44%, another says 40%. The article was obtained via a Google search, my point is these polls aren't very accurate. Can see why EEG pissed off with all the snide digs.

  27. #77
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4717 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The article had many polls from different news companies if you took the time to read it. One poll says 33% own guns, another says 44%, another says 40%. The article was obtained via a Google search, my point is these polls aren't very accurate. Can see why EEG pissed off with all the snide digs.
    Not sure why you think I'm having a snide dig as opposed to what other folk have said to you about you being a gun toting cowboy. Point i was making was Fox news are hardly the bastions of truthful reporting. You've quoted various % in your reply and my point still stands . Gun ownership is way less than i imagined it to be, i thought it would be in the region of 70%+.

  28. #78
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure why you think I'm having a snide dig as opposed to what other folk have said to you about you being a gun toting cowboy. Point i was making was Fox news are hardly the bastions of truthful reporting. You've quoted various % in your reply and my point still stands . Gun ownership is way less than i imagined it to be, i thought it would be in the region of 70%+.
    Yeah there's been multiple snide digs, the quote after you had nothing to do with the discussion either. Very few media outlets are truthful, they all side one way or the other. I used that article as it had different numbers from various outlets. I figure it's going to be close, probably 50/50.

    I did tell you it was either fully automatic or a bump stock before the media reported it, gotta give me some credit I watched most of it unfold and couldn't believe when they said it was just one person that did all that. For a 60 something out of shape guy to do that is some feat. I'm guessing he fired probably close to 1000 rounds, and while using a modified rifle. I shoot fairly regularly and couldn't fire than many rounds in that short of time. My shoulder would be torn up. The room would also be completely filled with smoke and unless he had hearing protection, his ear drums would have been completely blown out. I'm not going to get drawn in to conspiracy theories, but what he achieved most people half his age couldn't.

  29. #79
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4717 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah there's been multiple snide digs, the quote after you had nothing to do with the discussion either. Very few media outlets are truthful, they all side one way or the other. I used that article as it had different numbers from various outlets. I figure it's going to be close, probably 50/50. I did tell you it was either fully automatic or a bump stock before the media reported it, gotta give me some credit I watched most of it unfold and couldn't believe when they said it was just one person that did all that. For a 60 something out of shape guy to do that is some feat. I'm guessing he fired probably close to 1000 rounds, and while using a modified rifle. I shoot fairly regularly and couldn't fire than many rounds in that short of time. My shoulder would be torn up. The room would also be completely filled with smoke and unless he had hearing protection, his ear drums would have been completely blown out. I'm not going to get drawn in to conspiracy theories, but what he achieved most people half his age couldn't.
    Something said on a topic that has nout to do with the discussion. Wow that never happens on the Bounce eh? And it was relevant coz it was a bollox link. I apologize for not coming back and saying you got the weapons correct, I saw that yesterday. Its interesting reading from an ordinary Joe with knowledge of weapons that you think it would be difficult for this person to carry this out.

  30. #80
    Radge Donator
    Zellviren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Limburg province, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1373
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that figure is accurate.

    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...-about-it.html

    In all honestly I find polls a complete waste of time. One side always has an agenda. Very few polls are truly accurate.
    Polls are exactly that – polls. They’re always 100% accurate, it’s the analysis that people get wrong. For example, Michael Moore tweeted that only 23% of Americans own a gun; the Fox news source suggests it’s 44% of households. Are these two mutually exclusive? Is it possible that 23% of people hold firearms, but that equates to 44% of households because there are multiple people in a household?

    Of course it is.

    So the real number of individuals holding a gun is probably far closer to one quarter of Americans than it is to one half of Americans. But, again, note the word “probably”; we don’t know for sure, because we don’t have proper data. Perhaps the fact that the Federal government can’t work it out, given census data and licensing, is an inadvertently tragic indictment of just how poorly regulated weapon proliferation really is.

    But we don’t often read about that, especially not from Fox.

    Look – I get your stance here, SuperT. I’ve already accepted that American culture means that it’s a much bigger argument than we in the UK or Scotland would think it is, and that the current generation of Americans would have something to say. But your argument, and its variants, are just plain silly. You’re saying you’d only support a law change, if that change could guarantee that nobody would get shot. That guarantee can’t be made, so you’re effectively saying you don’t support a change in the law. It’s like saying that you’d only support additional funding to cancer research, if it guaranteed cancer would be eradicated.

    It’s about percentages. Let’s say you have a 10-sided dice, with five faces red and five faces white. If you want to roll white, the only meaningful way to increase your chances is to make more of the faces white. That’s what tighter gun controls (or cancer research) would do – turn more faces white, so that the chances of being shot (or dying to cancer) are reduced.

    Your position really isn’t logical.

  31. #81
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah there's been multiple snide digs, the quote after you had nothing to do with the discussion either. Very few media outlets are truthful, they all side one way or the other. I used that article as it had different numbers from various outlets. I figure it's going to be close, probably 50/50.

    I did tell you it was either fully automatic or a bump stock before the media reported it, gotta give me some credit I watched most of it unfold and couldn't believe when they said it was just one person that did all that. For a 60 something out of shape guy to do that is some feat. I'm guessing he fired probably close to 1000 rounds, and while using a modified rifle. I shoot fairly regularly and couldn't fire than many rounds in that short of time. My shoulder would be torn up. The room would also be completely filled with smoke and unless he had hearing protection, his ear drums would have been completely blown out. I'm not going to get drawn in to conspiracy theories, but what he achieved most people half his age couldn't.
    I went and shot a load of different guns at a range in Vegas and I was amazed by how physically demanding it was. I've done quite serious shooting with shotguns here but it was nothing compared to firing a few magazines of an AK47, semi-auto shotgun, and a Desert Eagle amongst others.

    The latter in particular - the recoil and the speed at which the spent cases fly out is crazy. The kind of one-handed shots you see in movies are completely unrealistic.

    The guns are also incredibly loud. Even with serious hearing protection you initially jump when a single round goes off. It made me wonder how soldiers cope when firing things like 35mm machine guns. Do they wear ear defenders?
    so what do I know

  32. #82
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    Fag packet calculation here but if there's more guns in the USA than people and only a quarter/third of people hold a gun we're talking about 4+ guns per holder.

    This bam had 40/50+ and more powerful than all but the most specialist law enforcement agencies in the country.

    Putting laws in place to even that sort of stuff out would be a start.
    Space to let

  33. #83
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6677 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went and shot a load of different guns at a range in Vegas and I was amazed by how physically demanding it was. I've done quite serious shooting with shotguns here but it was nothing compared to firing a few magazines of an AK47, semi-auto shotgun, and a Desert Eagle amongst others.

    The latter in particular - the recoil and the speed at which the spent cases fly out is crazy. The kind of one-handed shots you see in movies are completely unrealistic.

    The guns are also incredibly loud. Even with serious hearing protection you initially jump when a single round goes off. It made me wonder how soldiers cope when firing things like 35mm machine guns. Do they wear ear defenders?
    Was that on a blag?
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  34. #84
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that on a blag?
    Less said the better my saaahn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vern.png  
    Last edited by HenryLB; 05-10-17 at 16:45.
    so what do I know

  35. #85
    Micro$oft Hating Radge
    BurbankHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    747 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure why you think I'm having a snide dig as opposed to what other folk have said to you about you being a gun toting cowboy.
    In ST's defense, there have been digs at him. You did it just there, "gun toting cowboy" indeed. Earlier he was referred to as "Johnny Rambo" or something. I don't think he's a "gun toting cowboy". This is not conducive to having a rational discussion about a serious issue and why gun owners get immediately defensive when they are referred to in such terms.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went and shot a load of different guns at a range in Vegas and I was amazed by how physically demanding it was. I've done quite serious shooting with shotguns here but it was nothing compared to firing a few magazines of an AK47, semi-auto shotgun, and a Desert Eagle amongst others.

    The latter in particular - the recoil and the speed at which the spent cases fly out is crazy. The kind of one-handed shots you see in movies are completely unrealistic.

    The guns are also incredibly loud. Even with serious hearing protection you initially jump when a single round goes off. It made me wonder how soldiers cope when firing things like 35mm machine guns. Do they wear ear defenders?
    It could explain why the elderly Paddock stopped firing after about ten minutes, he was likely exhausted.
    Charlie don't surf !

  36. #86
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mock all you want but there are independence campaigners genuinely worried that the UK government would resort to the same tactics. But you being a unionist would probably endorse it to keep us rebellious Scots in our place.

    Long time ago or not they did use military intervention to keep the union and what's to stop them doing it again?
    How are you rebellious? You were literally handed the chance to be independent and you quietly demurred. You're a minority holding the occasional poorly-attended rally in Glasgow, whereas the Catalans are out in their droves battling the police in the streets.

    The UK state doesn't need to put Scotland down because there's nothing to put down. Nor has it ever had to in the past, as far as I'm aware.
    so what do I know

  37. #87
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How are you rebellious? You were literally handed the chance to be independent and you quietly demurred. You're a minority holding the occasional poorly-attended rally in Glasgow, whereas the Catalans are out in their droves battling the police in the streets.

    The UK state doesn't need to put Scotland down because there's nothing to put down. Nor has it ever had to in the past, as far as I'm aware.
    Did the English national anthem not have a line about crushing Scots?

  38. #88
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the English national anthem not have a line about crushing Scots?
    Verse 6 of 6.

    Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen!

    Even then we were an afterthought!
    Space to let

  39. #89
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the English national anthem not have a line about crushing Scots?
    Dunno tbh. Doesn't the Scottish one have something about smashing up the English?

    I'm not suggesting Scotland and England didn't fight each other in the past. I'm saying that - afaik - the UK has never used violence to curb Scottish attempts to leave the union.
    so what do I know

  40. #90
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno tbh. Doesn't the Scottish one have something about smashing up the English?

    I'm not suggesting Scotland and England didn't fight each other in the past. I'm saying that - afaik - the UK has never used violence to curb Scottish attempts to leave the union.
    Thousands of English troops on the streets of Glasgow because Churchill thought it was a Boleshvik uprising.

  41. #91
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thousands of English troops on the streets of Glasgow because Churchill thought it was a Boleshvik uprising.
    Yes. But that had nothing to do with nationalism or the union. They'd have done the same if it was Manchester, indeed had done much worse a hundred years earlier and actually killed protestors.
    so what do I know

  42. #92
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. But that had nothing to do with nationalism or the union. They'd have done the same if it was Manchester, indeed had done much worse a hundred years earlier and actually killed protestors.
    It must have been considered a threat to the union. Local soldiers were even sent away in case they joined the revolution.

  43. #93
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6677 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must have been considered a threat to the union. Local soldiers were even sent away in case they joined the revolution.
    Confined to barracks.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  44. #94
    Bounce Flag Co-Owner



    gun ainm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hebrides
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    627
    Is it true that the Las Vegas shooting is biggest mass killing of civilians since US Cavalry massacred 300 people at Wounded Knee in 1890?
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

  45. #95
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by gun ainm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it true that the Las Vegas shooting is biggest mass killing of civilians since US Cavalry massacred 300 people at Wounded Knee in 1890?
    If your talking about shootings in the US, then I think your right. If not then I think the Paris shooting had a few more deaths and injuries.

  46. #96
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4717 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1367
    Quote Originally Posted by BurbankHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In ST's defense, there have been digs at him. You did it just there, "gun toting cowboy" indeed. Earlier he was referred to as "Johnny Rambo" or something. I don't think he's a "gun toting cowboy". This is not conducive to having a rational discussion about a serious issue and why gun owners get immediately defensive when they are referred to in such terms.
    No sure what you are on about? I agreed folk were having digs at him, hence the "gun toting cowboy" quip. As in this was what they saw him as. I was pointing out to him that I wasn't having a dig at his stance, just a dig at the shan link he put up, which he acknowledged.

  47. #97
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...vegas-shooting
    This piece reflects a debate I was having with my partner this morning.

  48. #98
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must have been considered a threat to the union. Local soldiers were even sent away in case they joined the revolution.
    That had nothing to do with nationalism, as shown by the fact there were plenty of Scottish soldiers involved, just not Glaswegians. The authorities thought they might join what they saw as a communist insurrection which - especially at the time - had literally no nationalist component. Kind of the opposite, actually.

    Attempts to paint it as some sort of proto-independence event are a revisionist invention.
    so what do I know

  49. #99
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That had nothing to do with nationalism, as shown by the fact there were plenty of Scottish soldiers involved, just not Glaswegians. The authorities thought they might join what they saw as a communist insurrection which - especially at the time - had literally no nationalist component. Kind of the opposite, actually.

    Attempts to paint it as some sort of proto-independence event are a revisionist invention.
    I almost entirely agree Henry, though it is worth noting that John McLean did support Scottish independence

  50. #100
    Donator
    HenryLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost entirely agree Henry, though it is worth noting that John McLean did support Scottish independence
    Gotcha. I'm not - as of course you're aware - saying that there were no Scottish nationalists or nationalism then. My grandmother was alive then and she was a lifelong independence supporter. But nationalism in 1919, such as it was, had almost no coherence with the kind of sentiment that launched Red Clydeside.
    so what do I know

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Las Vegas
    By Juicifer in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 20-01-10, 21:30
  2. Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    By Uncle Jager in forum The Pie Stand
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-05-08, 20:16
  3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    By Uncle Jager in forum The Pie Stand
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 18-04-08, 20:48
  4. Rainbow Six Vegas
    By Uncle Jager in forum The Pie Stand
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-07-07, 12:22
  5. CIS game in Las Vegas
    By LeGod4 in forum General Hibs Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-06, 13:57

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •