Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4591 Post(s)
    vCash

Anderlecht away

The Soapies are out in Brussels this week and it had me reminiscing about our own trip to play them over 25 years ago. Until 21st May and Brondby away came along it was my favourite Hibs game. Still does fill my heart and head with fine memories.

Anyone got their own special take on that trip?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Atlanta Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    vCash
    my favourite ever Hibs away game (Hampden excluded )

Hibs had a massive support that went ballistic when Jackson scored.

His first goal for Hibs I think

Seem to recall we had another good chance near the end of the game.

Great memories in their supporters club after the match swapping scarves and strips.

Marvelous night all round.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my favourite ever Hibs away game (Hampden excluded )

Hibs had a massive support that went ballistic when Jackson scored.

His first goal for Hibs I think

Seem to recall we had another good chance near the end of the game.

Great memories in their supporters club after the match swapping scarves and strips.

Marvelous night all round.
    Mate (now sadly deceased) and I booked with Sphere Travel (also deceased, I believe) and somehow got booked into the Hilton. They charged more for a carton of fresh orange than we paid for a 40-ouncer of voddy at the airport.
    Tanned the whisky in the mini-bar; won't tell you what said mate topped it up with to make it look untouched.
    Loved every minute of that trip ... apart from discovering on getting home that four bottles of kriek had broken in the suitcase. I can still conjure up the aroma of cherry beer-soaked laundry.

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    712 Post(s)
    vCash
    there was a decent thread on .net last month with folks memories:

Mine:

1 bus of Airdrie fans going to Prague meant many Hibs buses had to wait at Dover for the next ferry due to not allowing two sets of fans on the same ferry. Loads had a kick about to pass the time while Airdrie all stayed sitting on their bus for an age.

Huns played Lyngby away that midweek - maybe that time in Amsterdam when a few of them famously jumped into the canal rather than take a doing from Hibs.

2700 is the figure I remember we took. Our Sphere travel bus got its window tanned when a few got mouthy to local north African kids at traffic lights. Shortly after that a VW Golf pulled in front of the bus forcing the driver to stop and a "big black guy" was trying to get the driver to open his window which was politely refused and then he started waving a knife about. Think he then lobbed a few stones through the broken window.

We played Celtc at Parkhead between the home and away legs and won 3-2. Great game that's available to view on youtube.

Here yar

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    This may have been the game I bumped into 1875 for the first time in years whilst trying to escape a hangover by eating chips and mayonnaise. Or it may have been the other trip .......
    I remember Frank Dougan having a 'sumo moment' with an equally portly Japanese fella, much to the bemusement of locals - who were further startled when Fish appeared resplendent in full tartan kit to spectate from a bar where we had been quaffing ale at a reduced rate negotiated by Frank.

Now THAT'S the sort of stuff the reps should be doing.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4591 Post(s)
    vCash
    The Orcs at Dover going out on one ferry as we left from the next dock on another. Some of them dropping their breeks at us, Braveheart stylee, and one nearly falling in, in the process. The big dugs and water cannons and polis with guns trying to help us get through the park at the back of the ground without encountering the crazy North African contingent. The non-stop singing for what seemed like forever.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5544 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EA2007 View Post
    there was a decent thread on .net last month with folks memories:

Mine:

1 bus of Airdrie fans going to Prague meant many Hibs buses had to wait at Dover for the next ferry due to not allowing two sets of fans on the same ferry. Loads had a kick about to pass the time while Airdrie all stayed sitting on their bus for an age.

Huns played Lyngby away that midweek - maybe that time in Amsterdam when a few of them famously jumped into the canal rather than take a doing from Hibs.

2700 is the figure I remember we took. Our Sphere travel bus got its window tanned when a few got mouthy to local north African kids at traffic lights. Shortly after that a VW Golf pulled in front of the bus forcing the driver to stop and a "big black guy" was trying to get the driver to open his window which was politely refused and then he started waving a knife about. Think he then lobbed a few stones through the broken window.

We played Celtc at Parkhead between the home and away legs and won 3-2. Great game that's available to view on youtube.

Here yar
    Great video, note the massive Hibs away support, we used to take 1000's to thellick.

On Anderlecht, I mind the Hibs songs ringing in my head for days after we came back, again on a Sphere Travel bus with only one video to watch, the cheap steak enjoyed by me and my mate Ryan that turned out to be horse steak, chips and various sauces for breakfast and writing a massive Hibernian FC, CCS on the Anderlecht Supporters bars toilets.

What got me was the pens they locked us in teh stadium quickly filled up with Hibs fans and with Hillsborough still fresh in meany of our minds, Hibs fans began to panic and it took a while for teh stewards to work out what was going on.

Then there was Calum Milne and that flag. Tee Hee.

I didnae go to Bronby last year, so Anderlecht away is for me only bettered by the day and night we beat Marseille in Arzon.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    vCash

Didn't manage the Hibs trip but...

Went there with Aston Villa. Many moons ago.
    Didn't get a ticket for the match though.
    Pity there were no phone cameras in those days.
    Redneck County Constabulary USA could've learned lessons from the local polis. The accuracy of one rozzer battering a moving target with his baton was especially impressive: the moving target being the head of a Villa fan, who was being carried off by four officers - one on each limb!
    I'd enjoy a few scenes of that nature this week.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Independent East Coast Hibs supporters bus from The Royal Nip, in the capable hands of Charlie McLeish.

A loop of Wolftones tapes nearly sent me demented and seem to recall a game of football against Rangers fans in the dover bus park.

Stayed in Ostend, drank Pison Ambon, got chucked out our gaff for reasons can't recall. That big square in Brussels with the pub in the corner seemed to be HQ for Hibbys and was simply brilliant.

Game all a bit of a blur tbh.

@tricky is always better at recalling things than me...

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I have a wife like that.
    GGTTH

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    I have a wife like that.

Unlucky mate.

I've seen Tricky.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5544 Post(s)
    vCash
    Independent East Coast Hibs supporters bus from The Royal Nip, in the capable hands of Charlie McLeish.

A loop of Wolftones tapes nearly sent me demented and seem to recall a game of football against Rangers fans in the dover bus park.

Stayed in Ostend, drank Pison Ambon, got chucked out our gaff for reasons can't recall. That big square in Brussels with the pub in the corner seemed to be HQ for Hibbys and was simply brilliant.

Its Pisang Ambon (Ambon Banana in Indonesian) and is potent!
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Great video, note the massive Hibs away support, we used to take 1000's to thellick.On Anderlecht, I mind the Hibs songs ringing in my head for days after we came back, again on a Sphere Travel bus with only one video to watch, the cheap steak enjoyed by me and my mate Ryan that turned out to be horse steak, chips and various sauces for breakfast and writing a massive Hibernian FC, CCS on the Anderlecht Supporters bars toilets.What got me was the pens they locked us in teh stadium quickly filled up with Hibs fans and with Hillsborough still fresh in meany of our minds, Hibs fans began to panic and it took a while for teh stewards to work out what was going on.Then there was Calum Milne and that flag. Tee Hee.I didnae go to Bronby last year, so Anderlecht away is for me only bettered by the day and night we beat Marseille in Arzon.
    Anderlecht was different class. Only second to videoton. From Huns getting bashed in the dam. They pens were mad when we scored. Remember the police coming into the pen after anderlecht scored ?Brilliant stadium and remember Dougie Cromb saying looking at modelling ER on.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    vCash
    I have very few memories of that epic trip. Though I do have a couple of photos (and an Anderlecht purple and white scarf) that confirm I was actually there.
    Got a vague memory of being in a boozer called le Pigeon Noir near the square where we all were gathered. The landlord of said pub was a dead ringer for a famous snooker player of the day and was getting mercilessly ripped about by several hundred drunken hibbies - but I'm flucked if I can remember who the player was...

*Possibly bald with a tache, though I might be imagining that 🤔

Edit: Willie Thorne????

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2019 Post(s)
    vCash
    I wisnae there I was in Spain on me holidays. Missed Liege anaw cos I was in America. Pah!

Memories of that time though was Hibs coming back from the Vanden Stock(Im sure it was called something to do with stars at the time?) Stadium and stating "we will rebuild ER into something like this" We didnae. It took us a while and it's $#@!all like it but oor stadium is fine none the less.

Luc Nilis. Belgium's best fitba player at that time was playing for thum. He scored too. Bugger.

It was only 8 blabs to get in ER in the home leg.

Danny Boffin was a great player.

Toon Army Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    vCash
    Was meant to be getting ferry from Hull, but they knocked us back and sent us south! Put on a train to Dover and taxis to the port (god knows who ended up paying for the taxis!).
    Enjoyable time with the Hun contingent in Amsterdam before crossing back over to Belgium for the match. Only bettered by the Dnipro trip IMO.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    vCash
    Unlike say Videoton or Liege or more latterly Maribor, Dnpro or any of these Inter scholastic games, Brussels and Anderlecht really did feel as if Hibs were up against a big European name with an illustrious past (OK one with the help of a bit of match fixing) with a host of quality International players.

Hibs gave a very decent account of themselves and were a bit unlucky not to take a lead to Brussels from the first leg.

The second leg was a great trip for the supporters as Brussels was easy to get to but I remember being surprised at how few Hibs supporters there seemed to be in the "Grand Place" the night before the game.

Reason being so many traveled by supporters bus and never arrived until the actual day of the game and were rewarded by a game and brave performance though you always felt Anderlecht had the match under control yet one more goal would have done it.

The two Hibs fans who died on the way to the game falling from a train I think seem to have been largely forgotten about but there was minutes silence prior to the kick off.

Not such a good trip for the "cashzies" who got into skirmishes with the local North Africans and duly got there erses felt and then had the indignity of there flag being rounded booed at full time by the Hibs scarfers when Calum Milne inadvertently held it aloft.

Everyone else seemed to have a great trip with a plethora of unreaptable stories and I am sure at the next Hibs home game there was a birthday announcent over the tannoy to someone also known as "Mr Softy" for his "non exploits" in the red light district.

Happy days.
    Last edited by SlovSam; 28-09-17 at 20:29.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Independent East Coast Hibs supporters bus from The Royal Nip, in the capable hands of Charlie McLeish

Not posted for a while M but young Charles is @fourinten on here.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Memories of that time though was Hibs coming back from the Vanden Stock(Im sure it was called something to do with stars at the time?) Stadium and stating "we will rebuild ER into something like this" We didnae. It took us a while and it's $#@!all like it but oor stadium is fine none the less.

Luc Nilis. Belgium's best fitba player at that time was playing for...
    From memory only I think it was the Astrid stadium? Thought it was a horrible concrete grey monster masel' ... or wis that Liege?

And totally agree re Luc, very underrated imo.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2019 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaarlemShuffler View Post
    From memory only I think it was the Astrid stadium? Thought it was a horrible concrete grey monster masel' ... or wis that Liege?

And totally agree re Luc, very underrated imo.
    Astrid sounds about right bud

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    No probs petal

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    vCash
    I wisnae there I was in Spain on me holidays. Missed Liege anaw cos I was in America. Pah!

Luc Nilis. Belgium's best fitba player at that time was playing for thum. He scored too. Bugger.

It was only 8 blabs to get in ER in the home leg.

Danny Boffin was a great player.
    Luc Nillis was a fantastic player. Went to Villa and suffered a career ending injury IIRC. Idea for another thread that actually, greatest players you've seen play AGAINST Hibs. Messi, Rooney, Shearer (not Duncan)... Nillis would be in there. Would anyone dare name a Hearts player?! 😂
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4591 Post(s)
    vCash

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    It's name was Parc Marie Astrid

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    712 Post(s)
    vCash
    Remember Nilis injury at the time being a shocker but at least he'd had a lengthy and successful career prior to arriving at Villa when he was 33.

Constant Vanden Stock stadium was still the name at the time of our visit as can he seen on the match ticket from the time.

Named after a former chairman.

Quick google search:
    The stadium sits within Parc Astrid and is s ometimes referred to as that.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    Luc Nillis was a fantastic player. Went to Villa and suffered a career ending injury IIRC. Idea for another thread that actually, greatest players you've seen play AGAINST Hibs. Messi, Rooney, Shearer (not Duncan)... Nillis would be in there. Would anyone dare name a Hearts player?!
    Gordon Smith

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Gordon Smith
    Your no that old Mark.... are yi?

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Your no that old Mark.... are yi?
    I feel it sometimes Bill. Missed the 'you've'

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    vCash
    Was a great trip went with gunnerhibs and his mates, mini bus them train. 3 bus loads of travel agent burds going to Disney Paris on ferry a few us got lucky lol great trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)
    vCash

I won £250 on a football card sweep thing in the Royal Nip on the sunday night before the bus left, spent most of it on Pisang Ambon or whatever it's called.

the only two tapes on the bus were the Tones and UB40, my cassette with the Stone Roses on one side and the Doors on the other was dismissed as ' bubbleheid music ' by the bus conveners....

great trip but it was a long journey home
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash

Anderlecht away