Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4606 Post(s)
    vCash

Anthony Stokes

He's a different beast this time round. I am increasingly impressed by his ability to handle the media, always coming across as considered and intelligent. Way more so that I had ever realised in the past. His fitness levels are not in doubt, even though he did not play much last season. He is way fitter than he was when he came to us in 2016. He is being something more of a leader on the park too. Yesterday, he was seen to be explaining to Boyle, Murray and McGinn what he felt had gone wrong in moves involving the three of them, respectively. He didn't have a hissy fit, he didn't shout at them, rather going and having a firm but quiet word...clearly pointing out his expectations. His goal return is not in question to date and by Sauzee he was really unlucky not to score again yesterday. I'm sure you will all realise this to be the case now that the highlights have been screened.

I wrote in the match report that I continue to pinch myself when I realise we have a player of his standing in our team. It's nothing to do with 21st May, it's separate to that completely (though there's no doubting it has helped for many). He is a good fit for us and we are a good fit for him. I hope he really wants to show his former employers what he is made of next Saturday and Ive a wee sneaky feeling he might just do that.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6487 Post(s)
    vCash
    I had huge concerns on how quickly he'd get up to speed. However, credit to him. I really hope he stays free of injury as I do think we are light up front in the goal scoring department. I'd imagine January will be about getting in fire power?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2463 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had huge concerns on how quickly he'd get up to speed. However, credit to him. I really hope he stays free of injury as I do think we are light up front in the goal scoring department. I'd imagine January will be about getting in fire power?
    It will have to be. We only have three first team strikers available for selection if you don't include Oli Shaw. If Stokes gets injured we are in big trouble. IMO we should have had someone else in once Graham was allowed to go as we really do need four strikers competing for places. I think Lennon for some reason opted for another wide player so we got Barker on loan.

Stokes is real quality, but I shared the same concerns as yourself about his fitness and attitude. So far he has looked hungry and sharp, hopefully that continues throughout the season.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think he was desperately unlucky not to score at County.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6487 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    It will have to be. We only have three first team strikers available for selection if you don't include Oli Shaw. If Stokes gets injured we are in big trouble. IMO we should have had someone else in once Graham was allowed to go as we really do need four strikers competing for places. I think Lennon for some reason opted for another wide player so we got Barker on loan.

Stokes is real quality, but I shared the same concerns as yourself about his fitness and attitude. So far he has looked hungry and sharp, hopefully that continues throughout the season.
    Reliably told Lennon on deadline day tried very hard for Moult...

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Reliably told Lennon on deadline day tried very hard for Moult...
    I think if Murray hadn't been so prolific early on, we might have seen that extra forward we needed brought in.

Baltic Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    I think if Murray hadn't been so prolific early on, we might have seen that extra forward we needed brought in.
    With Murray, he was prolific until he had to play up front with Stokes. Both have plenty of valuable attributes but Stokes is definitely greedy. They're like chalk & cheese as a partnership and either would probably work better (in an individual sense) with Matu in my opinion.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    I suspect this thread is aimed at the likes of me, in the nicest possible way after I said this on the Just Back thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Maybe I'm being over critical of Stokes but I'd really expect him to impose his experience and class over all but the very best in this league. I'd like to see him do it in more than flashes.

I've no doubts about his fitness, his attitude or anything else although GdanskHibee mentioning greedy might be what irks me!

He's a million pound player in what should be his prime. When he comes up against a back four like Ross Co, whose combined value is about the same as his alone (and I suspect all the other defences he's come up against this season bar sevco will be similar), I'd expect him to do better and make better choices.

Of course I wasn't there on Saturday to witness his MOTM performance and a goal every 106 minutes of play so far this season is very good.

Neil Lennon mentioned after the game his frustration at us peppering opposition goals with 20 plus shots and then living in a one goal lead knife edge.

It's an age old Hibs problem that got us demoted and held back our return to the top league. Battering teams to death 0-0, or worse 0-1 with their only shot on goal is a right pisser!

We need to convert more of these chances and Stokes is part of that frustration.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1925 Post(s)
    vCash
    stokes has done more than i was expecting already - a key player who has filled in where cummings left off.

murray replacing holt seems about right too - another striker with a different dynamic from stokes - might not be the beast that holt was but his waspishness around the box complements stokes play.

I fear NL will only pick stokes for the celtc game next week....understandable i suppose but I would like to see two strikers.
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Toddler Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    stokes has done more than i was expecting already - a key player who has filled in where cummings left off.

murray replacing holt seems about right too - another striker with a different dynamic from stokes - might not be the beast that holt was but his waspishness around the box complements stokes play.

I fear NL will only pick stokes for the celtc game next week....understandable i suppose but I would like to see two strikers.
    I think Murray has to play for nuisance factor alone. The best way to get a result will be by harrying the defence

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1925 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willief View Post
    I think Murray has to play for nuisance factor alone. The best way to get a result will be by harrying the defence

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
    I agree - think lenny will use boyle for that role though - but from the wing - which isn't quite the same - 4-5-1 - not bad as a back up option though.
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    vCash
    There is a few players that need to step up a gear. Can't say that I think stokes has been any poorer than some of the delivery to the forwards. Most games that I've been to so far and come away hearing how Murray will chase down an empty crisp bag in a windy street, he shouldn't have to be doing that all game.

Sitting 4th without doing anything special, not a bad place to be after 3 seasons in a lower league. But the pack is closing in so our big game players need to get their game on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3347 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    There is a few players that need to step up a gear. Can't say that I think stokes has been any poorer than some of the delivery to the forwards. Most games that I've been to so far and come away hearing how Murray will chase down an empty crisp bag in a windy street, he shouldn't have to be doing that all game.

Sitting 4th without doing anything special, not a bad place to be after 3 seasons in a lower league. But the pack is closing in so our big game players need to get their game on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Good assessment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3759 Post(s)
    vCash
    I was shocked to see him chasing down balls during the motherwell game.
    Maybe Lennon really is the man to get the best of him. Or maybe it's the love from leith that gives him that boost. Could even be the fact that he doesn't wanna go back to not playing.

I'm impressed.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2025 Post(s)
    vCash
    That's 7 in 9 games for Stokes. Cert to emulate or indeed exceed his 23 in one season in his first spell.

Strange trait in Hibs fans though. All my puff I've had moans moaning that it's not enough. We have had it good even when we have been $#@!e. I've seen a legendary list of strikers in my time supporting Hibs. Some real top drawer crackers. Record breakers too.

Imagine if you supported a club that reminisce about one season huddy's like Sammon, Higdon & feckin Lafferty!

Game. Old. Funny.

GoGO Back To Forum