Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6390 Post(s)
    vCash

Other Brother Murray in the S*N

For those who don't want to click on a SUN link.................

YOU MUZ BE JOKING
    Jamie Murray recalls moment ‘Rangers-supporting journalist’ told him of Hibs’ Scottish Cup glory at French Open
    David Gray's dramatic late header against Rangers clinched a stunning 3-2 victory to end the Easter Road side's Scottish Cup jinx
    JAMIE MURRAY has recalled the moment a Rangers-supporting journalist broke the news that Hibs had won the Scottish Cup – while he was practising for the French Open.
    The Hibees celebrated their first Scottish Cup triumph since 1902 last year when skipper David Gray headed home a dramatic late winner to clinch one of the biggest results in the club’s history. Jamie Murray was training ahead of the French Open when Hibs lifted the Scottish Cup.
    David Grays late winner ended the Easter Road sides 114-year-old Scottish Cup hoodoo
    But Hibs-daft tennis star Jamie missed out on the madness as he trained on court ahead of another Grand Slam tournament.
    However, it wasn’t long before the news filtered through to Paris that Alan Stubbs’ side had ended their 114-year-old Scottish Cup hoodoo.
    Wimbledon champion Jamie recalled: “I was on court practising at the French Open and was following it on my phone when we were taking water breaks.
    “I knew it was 2-2 and then one of the Scottish journalists came trudging over and I was like ‘Stu, Stu, what’s the score?’
    “He was like, ‘what you don’t know? It’s 3-2 to Hibs, they scored in the last minute’… he’s a Rangers fan!
    “I couldn’t believe it. I was like no way, because it’s Hibs, we always guff it before we get to Hampden or whatever, there’s been so many bad experiences over the years.
    “But to finally do it. I would love to have been there, a lot of my family were.
    “But I would rather have missed the game and Hibs won than be there and potentially lose.”
    Asked whether he had been tempted to miss the French Open for the Final, Jamie said: “No, no. I probably deep down didn’t think we were going to win it!”
    The winner sparked bedlam at the end as emotional Hibs fans charged onto the field to celebrate before clashing with Rangers supporters.
    And while the shameful scenes prevented Easter Road stars from doing a lap of honour, it didn’t stop 22,000 fans belting out an iconic rendition of Sunshine on Leith.
    Jamie said: “It’s a great song. It’s so well-known and associated with Hibs. My mum said my was crying when they were singing it.”

Jamie – brother of Andy – only wishes he was there to join in as he added: “I’ve watched it on social media and stuff, it gets the hair on your back of your neck going.
    “I wasn’t there, I would love to have been there having looked back and seeing the result but I’m sure for like every single Hibs fan, there has been a lot of pain in Hampden in cup finals and semi-finals, to finally get over the finish line, to beat Rangers as well, it’s always nice.
    “It’s not going to get better for them than that, it’s an incredible moment for the club.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4421 Post(s)
    vCash
    Like anyone with Hibs in their soul, wherever you were on that day, a wee bit of you was at Hampden. Good read.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    vCash
    Not sure I believe this. Surely his mum would have texted him
    GGTTH

Rock n' Roll Radge