Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4711 Post(s)
    vCash

A first 11?

Given the success of our recruitment this summer we are going to see selection dilemmas every week that will likely be opposition dependent. It may be easier to choose a team to play Ceptc than Dundee, however. In post match discussion we've seen people bemoan the lack of a Boyle or Bartley but there was a squad of good players who should still have executed the win. They just didn't turn up. Pretty much none of the outfield were even passable. The boss said much the same thing, giving only Rocky a pass mark.

So...if all were fit in a hypothetical world...who would you start against Dundee and why?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1504 Post(s)
    vCash
    Bartley if fit would always start for me. Without him we lack a physical presence in the midfield. Against Dundee if he's not fit I'd be tempted to move David Gray to right back and play Whitaker in the holding role. Swanson, McGinn and McGeouch can't do what Bartley does. Not sure Slivka is that player either. That holding midfielder allows the midfield and full backs to push further forward.

I will stick my neck out and say that eventually we are going to need to upgrade the left full back position. Stevenson is a great servant and good player, but it's the one area we could improve on.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4711 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bartley if fit would always start for me. Without him we lack a physical presence in the midfield. Against Dundee if he's not fit I'd be tempted to move David Gray to right back and play Whitaker in the holding role. Swanson, McGinn and McGeouch can't do what Bartley does. Not sure Slivka is that player either. That holding midfielder allows the midfield and full backs to push further forward.

I will stick my neck out and say that eventually we are going to need to upgrade the left full back position. Stevenson is a great servant and good player, but it's the one area we could improve on.
    What's your first 11 for the game if all were hypothetically fit?

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5705 Post(s)
    vCash
    For me it's the 11 who started st the Hunnery.

Rocky is a no brainier.

I think once Whitts is match fit and back used to the way Scottish football is played, he will impress.

Darren is Darren. He may have had an off day yesterday but he us normally solid.

Efe needs to learn to start a game at minute 1 not minute 15 and must remember he is a defender.

Paul is just getting back to being match and mentally fit.

Lewis is consistently decent.

I prefer the class and skill of Dylan to the style of Bartley.

John McGinn is generally a great player, wasted by tactics some time.

Slivka gives us a better shape and looks a player. He is interchangeable with Boyle dependant on who we are playing as Boyle has been like a new signing.

Simon Murray scores goals if and when given the opportunity.

Stokes starts, but is not fit yet and looked half arsed yesterday. On his day he is fantastic.

Given Marv was not even on the bench, I don't think he is ready for next week.

I would also bring Fraser Murray on before Barker, until Barker is fit.

All that said, I am not sure I like the 3 2 2 1 2 shape, so one centre half has to drop out? Daz or Paul, Deary me no an easy choice? If we went 442 I would bring in Swanson, he must be better than he has looked to date?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    vCash
    I just hope that big name signings are automatic picks. Yesterday we were devoid of any physical presence in midfield so a fit Bartley is a must for me. Slivka deserves a start so a midfield of him Mcgeough, McGinn and Bartley looks like a better balance than that which played yesterday. That means a flat back four and right now I would be tempted to revert to Gray, McGregor Hanlon and Stevenson. Up front Murray, although a bit profligate yesterday would start along with big Dave until Boyle is fit. A spell on the bench for Ambrose, Whittaker and Stokes may remind them that they need to earn their corn!

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    vCash
    Have to stop the 5-3-2 tactic it's so old fashioned and even cringey at home to Hamilton. They must have been rubbing the hands in delight, sit back nullify midfield and take the chance. If we were to play it, you can not have whits and Lewis as much as I love him. The two are no Viktor Moses and just can't open up defender's so it becomes ponderous. Most teams now play 4-2-3-1 but I can't see one of our strickers playing as the 1 and the other dropping back. I'd go

Rocky
    Gray daz Hanlon Lewis
    Marv
    Boyle super Dylan
    Stokes Simon

Whits competing with gray/Marv , efe with the centre halfs, Danny slivka Brandon Fraser with the 3

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I just hope that big name signings are automatic picks. Yesterday we were devoid of any physical presence in midfield so a fit Bartley is a must for me. Slivka deserves a start so a midfield of him Mcgeough, McGinn and Bartley looks like a better balance than that which played yesterday. That means a flat back four and right now I would be tempted to revert to Gray, McGregor Hanlon and Stevenson. Up front Murray, although a bit profligate yesterday would start along with big Dave until Boyle is fit. A spell on the bench for Ambrose, Whittaker and Stokes may remind them that they need to earn their corn!
    Not a great fan of Marv. Very limited footballer. Never looks to take ball off the defence. Doesn't want to be involved in build up play. Dylan totally bossed game at ibrox.Silvik is a big lad but more dynamic than Marv and much better on the ball.Marv best game was at the PBS which was a battle on a tiny pitch. Big pitch on Hampden like semi final against Aberdeen he got picked off as can't move ball quick enough

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2498 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpower View Post
    Not a great fan of Marv. Very limited footballer. Never looks to take ball off the defence. Doesn't want to be involved in build up play. Dylan totally bossed game at ibrox.Silvik is a big lad but more dynamic than Marv and much better on the ball.Marv best game was at the PBS which was a battle on a tiny pitch. Big pitch on Hampden like semi final against Aberdeen he got picked off as can't move ball quick enough
    He's not there to be involved in the build-up play or to be dynamic. He's there to provide a physical presence in the engine room, bully and win the ball off the opposition, and generally protect the defence. He is a defensive midfield anchor man and that is his defined role in the team. A vitally important role in the team I might add....and for this reason I would expect Lennon to play him in most matches this season if and when he is available to play as every game we play this season is going to be a battle. He was badly missed yesterday as was Boyle.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    He's not there to be involved in the build-up play or to be dynamic. He's there to provide a physical presence in the engine room, bully and win the ball off the opposition, and generally protect the defence. He is a defensive midfield anchor man and that is his defined role in the team. A vitally important role in the team I might add....and for this reason I would expect Lennon to play him in most matches this season if and when he is available to play as every game we play this season is going to be a battle. He was badly missed yesterday as was Boyle.
    Time will tell how much game time he gets. Wasn't missed at ibrox. Holding player got to be comfortable taking ball off defenders so can help move it through the lines.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    vCash
    It's very much horses for courses, and we should have a big enough squad to change from game to game. Yesterday I know why Lennon wanted Swanson on the pitch, him for Slivka wasn't the way to do it.

Against Dundee I'd go with a 433 if Boyle is fit, and a 442 if he's not. So either:
    Marciano
    Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
    Slivka McGeouch McGinn
    Boyle Murray Stokes

Or:
    Marciano
    Whittaker Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
    Slivka McGeouch McGinn Swanson
    Murray Stokes

Similar line ups, but tweaked to suit either Boyle or Swanson, depending on who plays.

McGregor has had a poor start to the season, Ambrose/Hanlon partnership worked well against Partick, so I'd go back to that. Gray for Whittaker in the 433 as the former is more likely to push on and links well with Boyle.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1504 Post(s)
    vCash
    Starting 11 for me using Lennon's preferred formation.

1. Rocky
    2. Whitaker
    3. Stevenson
    4. Hanlon
    5. Efe
    6. McGregor
    7. McGinn
    8. Bartley
    9. Stokes
    10. Murray
    11. Dylan

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1611 Post(s)
    vCash
    Rocky

Sir David Gray

Hanlon

McGregor

Stevenson

Bartley

McGeouch

McGinn

Silvika

Murray

Stokes
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1567 Post(s)
    vCash

A first 11?

I think virtually every goal conceded this season has been down to the central defence; I think there’s reasons they aren’t up to speed but I think rangers and Hamilton did their homework and targeted there with increasing success. If marv is back next week I’d go back to 4 at the back and stick him in front for protection. I’d probably go with Darren and Efe, if I was pushed.

As for an 11....

Rocky, Super, Dylan and Simon are no brainers.

I’d try whitts at left back and put David gray in as the full backs.

Efe & Darren at centre.

Barts behind Super & Dylan, along with Boyler.

That leaves Slivka, Swanson & Stokes for the final place.

I’d probably go with Slivka I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    874 Post(s)
    vCash
    Personally, I don’t think specific personnel is the issue. I think the issue is how Lennon wants Hibs to play, because the reality is that successful teams tend to have their way of playing and it’s their ability to impose that on the opposition that wins them games. Being tactically fluid and altering formation depending on opposition is great, and nobody wants Hibs to be predictable, but it doesn’t breed continuity or consistency; this is Scottish football after all, and we’re a few levels below the top.

Quite a few, actually.

And even if you did want Hibs to be able to change a game, that’s very rarely done from the back. So, for me, we start there and accept that most every team in the world plays with four at the back – a couple of centre halves, and two fullbacks. The system dictates how often those fullbacks get forward, and I’d never play without an anchoring midfielder to protect them. So, my first eleven would permanently start with the ‘keeper, a back four, and a defensive midfielder. This builds consistency, protects the centre halves (particularly from counter-attacks), and provides a bit more license for our fullbacks to bomb on when more width is needed. In tighter games, it solidifies us.

Let’s say:

Marciano
    Gray-Ambrose-McGregor-Stevenson
    Bartley

But the cool thing here is that, for the first time in ages, we’ve got real options back there. Whittaker could slot into either fullback position (or in midfield), the likes of Hanlon or Ambrose could fill the Bartley spot as they have the ability, and we’ve an embarrassment of riches at centre half when you consider that McGregor, Hanlon, Ambrose and Porteous can all play there. Against teams with limited physical presence, Dylan McGeouch can fill the “protection” spot.

From there, then, you build a midfield that can win you specific matches because you’re not going to be leaking silly goals. Against good sides you’d probably drop a striker for more protection in front of the defence (or simply to pack the midfield), and against not-so-good sides you ensure you’ve got drive and delivery for our two strikers to go and win us the game. Boyle and Barker, when he’s fit, can provide incision and width, while the likes of McGeouch and McGinn can pick up the ball, drive at the opposition, and use runners to either make gaps or pick up the ball. Swanson hasn’t shown enough, but I think he’s a player, and Slivka also provides another option.

Let’s say:

McGeouch-Slivka-McGinn

Again, I’d imagine that only Celtic would demand a more defensive set up than this, or maybe if we want to be solid for a first half-hour at Castle Greyskull, the piggery or Pittodrie. Boyle and Barker are available if we need additional width that our fullbacks aren’t providing, McGeouch can slot into the middle to make way for them, and Swanson can go in if he starts to come onto a game.

As things stand, I don’t think a single striker is going to be the route to go outside of the circumstances I mentioned.

Let’s say:

Stokes-Murray

I think they pick themselves, and will complement each other nicely. If we need another midfielder, for any reason whatsoever, which one takes a seat depends on the opposition.

In the end, I’m not going to let one bad game where the manager got it tactically a bit wrong (and the team perhaps underestimated an organised Hamilton side) move away from what I consider to be the strongest squad I’ve ever seen at Easter Road. We’ve options across the park, depending on opposition, and I think they can be used from the moment Plan A isn’t working.

That’s my two pence, anyway.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1944 Post(s)
    vCash
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by The Family View Post
    Rocky

Sir David Gray

Hanlon

McGregor

Stevenson

Bartley

McGeouch

McGinn

Silvika

Murray

Stokes
    Boyle ain't fit but when he is I'd get him straight back in
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4711 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Yup

Boyle ain't fit but when he is I'd get him straight back in
    To be fair the question said if all were hypothetically fit.

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1567 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    To be fair the question said if all were hypothetically fit.
    What would your best 11 be mr skii?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4711 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    What would your best 11 be mr skii?
    good question

Rocky...Super...Dylan...definites.
    If we go with Bartley then I don't want a back 5 too, so Darren and Efe but Paul is actually a better football player than McGregor and less complacent than Efe. I'd go with Lewis if it's a back 4 and Whittaker but only just over SDG. That leaves 3 spaces. I'm inclined to go Slivka Boyle and Murray simply based on what we saw before Ibrox. That means no place for Stokes.

Erm...let me have a think

GoGO Back To Forum

User Tag List