Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back, Hibs are back so put the flags out...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back, Hibs are back so put the flags out...

When I signed off after doing four "Just Backs" up to and including the Arbroath game, I anticipated my next outing on Just Back duty would be some time in September or October, when 1875 would be off to his second home in sunny Spain again. I didn't anticipate it coming as soon as the first game of the SPL season but the auld yin is off to his wee brother's 70th birthday tonight (or something like that) and was going to be toiling to put something together for around 24 hours...so here I go again for my fifth Just Back of the season, just 4 weeks early. His nibs will be back on duty on Tuesday night

Today was "Flag Day". I couldn't get the song by the Housemartins out ma heid ahead of kick off. It was almost as much of an ear worm as the McGinn song after the Tynecastle derby of 2016 but not quite...and it became a $#@!ised version in ma heid with every passing hour. Too much energy, adrenalin pumping and anticipation for today. Finally, Flag Day. I went for my usual early Saturday morning run to try and use up some of the energy pulsing through every blood vessel and oozing out every pore. I even ran up Calton Hill today, such was the extent of the booster rocket fuel racing through my arteries and veins. I felt like feckin' Rocky on the top of the steps...and still no less excited. On the way I passed green and white jersey and green and white favour after favour...Hibs fans were everywhere and it was barely 9am. Colours loud and proud. Excited, chatting, smiling. The bleedin' run really only had me feel even more energized and impatient.

It had been the weirdest of weeks. It started with much hilarity and positivity as Hibs won their League Cup section, undefeated and were rewarded with a reasonable last 16 tie. Across the city, they bombed out to three part time teams, sacked their comedy gold manager and then were forced to admit that the promised land of a shiny new stand was not happening when and where they said it would. And, even better still, the embarrassment that this was because they had not ordered seats. Or could not order seats. We know what we reckon...

Then, as the icing on the proverbial sticky bun, we have our Lord of the Rings moment...the return of the King. Anthony Stokes, Hibernian legend, signs on the dotted line and has everyone absolutely bursting to get going today. If Carlsberg did Edinburgh football weeks, it was this week...

So on to proceedings.

Hibs were minus both Sir David and Darren through suspension and so there were enforced changes to the back line. Rocky kept goal behind a back four of Stevenson, Whittaker, Efe and Hanlon. A lot of folk thought there would have been a start for Fonts but Lenny went with the better, if not fitter player. McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley, Boyle and Swanson lined up to support Simon Murray up top. There was a place on the bench for the returning King, alongside the Leithuanians getting their first home game experience in the green and white of Hibernian.

Ahead of the kick off the Hibees were presented with the League flag as Rod Petrie collected the League trophy on behalf of the club. It was a moment we had all longed for but, as sometimes can happen, the other team went about trying to spoil the party. Hibs were a bit more sluggish than their opponents in the opening exchanges, and fell behind to Chris Erskine's opener after 7 minutes. Dylan had misplaced a couple of passes, Bartley and McGinn were looking a little ponderous and the goal could have been something of a set back but, thankfully, it merely served to act as the catalyst Hibernian needed to get their act together and get a foothold in the game.

Martin Boyle bagged an equaliser seven minutes later, as John McGinn went through the gears from okay to influential to Super. McGinn drove at a Thistle defence in rearguard action, delivering the ball into the box. It took a a bit of a ricochet before falling into the path of Squirrel. The intent and purpose in his reaction was palpable and, like a bushy tailed rodent with his nuts, he grabbed the prize and hit a cracking leveller past Cerny.

Boyle was at this stage looking the most likely to undo the visiting defence. Dylan made a probing run down the flank before delivering a ball into the area. Boyle looked certain to score, but ex-Hibee Calum Booth somehow managed to clear the ball when it looked like we were about to go 2-0 up. However, it wasn't long before we finally take the lead. Swanson and McGeouch linked up cleverly to create space and opportunity. Swanson found Whittaker on the edge of the area. He needed absolutely no invitation to drive the ball into the bottom corner of the net. I don't know if Simon Murray got anything on the shot but it didn't ultimately matter. Hibees were back in business and the ground was full of anticipation.

At half time, they went in a worthy 2-1 up.

In the second half, Hibs continued where they had left off and Boyler continued to give Booth nightmares with his pace down the right. After about 5 minutes into the half, he was found guilty of hauling Squirrel down in the box - and the referee (who was keech most of the afternoon) couldn't deny Hibs a clear penalty. Swanson tried briefly to persuade Murray to let him take the spot kick but it was our red haired goal machined who would fire Hibs into a 3-1 lead on the 51st minute. Girls don't like boys, girls like Simon Murray rang out around the ground. Eight goals now so far this season. Boys don't like girls, boys also like Simon Murray

Boyle nearly provided another goal for Murray, but his shot unfortunately came back off the post....much to the relief of the rattled Thistle back line.

The remainder of the match saw each team make enforced substitutions. Doolan went off for the away team and we lost Bartley with a dead leg - sustained in an accidental collision with Steven Whittaker The biggest roar of the day was to come when Hibs replaced Swanson with Anthony Stokes. He was to come on and play a few bits of interplay with such as McGinn but it was obvious that he needs time and training to get up to speed. Although the Ayr game on Tuesday might provide an opportunity to get some useful miles on the clock.

The other incident of note in the closing stages was a ridiculous situation where John McGinn had a free kick given against him in favour of the brutal Partick No 6, Osman. It was an incident worthy of a Grant Stott run in the pantomime...McGinn clearly feeling aggrieved. Within minutes he went through the big daftie in the away defence and got himself booked for his troubles, giving Osman the thumbs up in thanks, on receiving his yellow card.

The ratings...Hibees are top of the hit parade on Flag Day.

Rocky - another outing, another solid performance from the man with the reflexes and, erm, eyes of a tiger
    Lewis - tenacious and busy from the off, he ran 500 miles and would have run 500 more
    Whittaker - good goal and generally very good outing. Like the Eurythmics, he felt it was good to be back home again
    Efe - ach, another Efe efternoon. Glides and sashets through things, occasionally coming a cropper. But we are pleased Brendan released him and let him go
    Hanlon - I was worried at the start, kept looking for signs of fatigue but he came through this well. He is hopelessly devoted to you.
    McGinn - don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, he started slowly but was influential at very important times.
    McGeouch - a slow burner of a game. Built it up, tore it down
    Bartley - slow burner number 2. Came off worse in a collsion with Whittaker, who'd have thought that of The Boxer?
    Swanson - the creative spark. A very Happy Hour
    Boyle - Eat, sleep, race, repeat.
    Murray - Girls don't like boys, Girls like Simon Murray

Stokes - We like to praise you
    Murray - The light is always green

Dave - Sunshine on Leithuanian

Man of the Match - officially Simon Murray and, again, it is hard to argue. Shout outs for Swanson, Whittaker, Boyle and Hanlon (given his circumstances).

I hope you all enjoyed Flag Day. I hope anyone who can gets along to the cup game on Tuesday. Please try to.

In the meantime, an alterntive lyric for the ear worm in my lug. Enjoy what's left of Flag Day...

With apologies to The Housemartins...

Too many Craig Leveins
    Not enough Sauzee class ooze
    Too many halos not enough heroes
    Coming up with the (Chinese) goods

So you though you'd like to change the world
    Decided to stage a cake bake sale
    For the stand, for the poor

It's a waste of time if you know what they mean
    Try shaking a box in front of Budge Queen
    'Cause her purse is fat and bursting at the seams

Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on Hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts

So you thought you'd like to see us healed
    Thank you…thank you

Flag day, flag day, flag day, flag day...
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Might be early days but i am already convinced Simon is better than Jason. Ok Jason may be better at free kicks etc but Simon is all over the place...never hides...is a poacher and i love them...is in midfield...on the wing..in defense...he runs on Duracell. And Lennon...well he has taken a team that passed infuriatingly from side to side to one that drives direct through middle and wings and sends long balls forward. We won't see so many draws this season
    Last edited by Davy; 05-08-17 at 19:09.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might be early days but i am already convinced Simon is better than Jason. Ok Jason may be better at free kicks etc but Simon is all over the place...never hides...is a poacher and i love them...is in midfield...on the wing..in defense...he suns on Duracell. And Lennon...well he has taken a that passed infuriatingly from side to side to one that drives direct through middle and wings and sends long balls forward. We won't see so many draws this season
    Agree with most of that, but wasn't it Bob rather than Dave?

Edit: quoted wrong post.

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    949 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good performance after a dire first 10.

Think we will be very good once we are up to speed. Wee bit more composure and we could have had another 3. The ginger goal machine being very unlucky hitting the post.

Thought Danny did some good work today before being subbed.

There was a sublime piece of play down the west stand side from SJM and Sir Tony. Very good.

Thought the fans were great today. The young team in the FF were superb. Lovely banner lads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)
    vCash
    Might be early days but i am already convinced Simon is better than Jason. Ok Jason may be better at free kicks etc but Simon is all over the place...never hides...is a poacher and i love them...is in midfield...on the wing..in defense...he runs on Duracell. And Lennon...well he has taken a team that passed infuriatingly from side to side to one that drives direct through middle and wings and sends long balls forward. We won't see so many draws this season
    Come on davy how can you make that assumption after one league game ffs??
    I reckon Murray is an excellent signing and actually mentioned that I would love the hibs to sign Murray way back before last season kicked off and @spaghettihibby will confirm but to say he's already better than Cummings a week into the season beggars belief mate. I hope he is better but he's yet to convince me he is

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Whittaker was a tourist 🤔

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    I thought Whittaker was a tourist 🤔
    Oh ma Annie Lennoxes

You could be right. Actually the Housemartins did a song of that name too...

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agree with most of that and some really positive signs, not least of which was not letting a disjointed start and a sloppy goal lost which looked like a mess between Hanlon and Ambrose get in the way of three goals and three points.

I really liked the way Dylan worked a channel down the inside felt - if he stays fit he could do some damage in this league. There’s something about 1 up front that Niggles me but if we score three times every game the obvious conclusion is it works. I thought sometimes Danny was trying too hard and that first goal - hence the penalty grab - will settle him down.

But, make no mistake thistle are a well organised settles top six side. This was a good result and good signs for the season ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Oh ma Annie Lennoxes

You could be right. Actually the Housemartins did a song of that name too...
    Very good just back as always

The boys are back in town 👍

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Very good just back as always

The boys are back in town 👍
    Do you know how hard it was to stay away from a certain Queen classic about being the winners of something, my friend?

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    When I signed off after doing four "Just Backs" up to and including the Arbroath game, I anticipated my next outing on Just Back duty would be some time in September or October, when 1875 would be off to his second home in sunny Spain again. I didn't anticipate it coming as soon as the first game of the SPL season but the auld yin is off to his wee brother's 70th birthday tonight and was going to be toiling to put something together for around 24 hours...so here I go again for my fifth Just Back of the season, just 4 weeks early. His nibs will be back on duty on Tuesday night

Today was "Flag Day". I couldn't get the song by the Housemartins out ma heid ahead of kick off. It was almost as much of an ear worm as the McGinn song after the Tynecastle derby of 2016 but not quite...and it became a $#@!ised version in ma heid with every passing hour. Too much energy, adrenalin pumping and anticipation for today. Finally, Flag Day. I went for my usual early Saturday morning run to try and use up some of the energy pulsing through every blood vessel and oozing out every pore. I even ran up Calton Hill today, such was the extent of the booster rocket fuel racing through my arteries and veins. I felt like feckin' Rocky on the top of the steps...and still no less excited. On the way I passed green and white jersey and green and white favour after favour...Hibs fans were everywhere and it was barely 9am. Colours loud and proud. Excited, chatting, smiling. The bleedin' run really only had me feel even more energized and impatient.

It had been the weirdest of weeks. It started with much hilarity and positivity as Hibs won their League Cup section, undefeated and were rewarded with a reasonable last 16 tie. Across the city, they bombed out to three part time teams, sacked their comedy gold manager and then were forced to admit that the promised land of a shiny new stand was not happening when and where they said it would. And, even better still, the embarrassment that this was because they had not ordered seats. Or could not order seats. We know what we reckon...

Then, as the icing on the proverbial sticky bun, we have our Lord of the Rings moment...the return of the King. Anthony Stokes, Hibernian legend, signs on the dotted line and has everyone absolutely bursting to get going today. If Carlsberg did Edinburgh football weeks, it was this week...

So on to proceedings.

Hibs were minus both Sir David and Darren through suspension and so there were enforced changes to the back line. Rocky kept goal behind a back four of Stevenson, Whittaker, Efe and Hanlon. A lot of folk thought there would have been a start for Fonts but Lenny went with the better, if not fitter player. McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley, Boyle and Swanson lined up to support Simon Murray up top. There was a place on the bench for the returning King, alongside the Leithuanians getting their first home game experience in the green and white of Hibernian.

Ahead of the kick off the Hibees were presented with the League flag as Rod Petrie collected the League trophy on behalf of the club. It was a moment we had all longed for but, as sometimes can happen, the other team went about trying to spoil the party. Hibs were a bit more sluggish than their opponents in the opening exchanges, and fell behind to Chris Erskine's opener after 7 minutes. Dylan had misplaced a couple of passes, Bartley and McGinn were looking a little ponderous and the goal could have been something of a set back but, thankfully, it merely served to act as the catalyst Hibernian needed to get their act together and get a foothold in the game.

Martin Boyle bagged an equaliser seven minutes later, as John McGinn went through the gears from okay to influential to Super. McGinn drove at a Thistle defence in rearguard action, delivering the ball into the box. It took a a bit of a ricochet before falling into the path of Squirrel. The intent and purpose in his reaction was palpable and, like a bushy tailed rodent with his nuts, he grabbed the prize and hit a cracking leveller past Cerny.

Boyle was at this stage looking the most likely to undo the visiting defence. Dylan made a probing run down the flank before delivering a ball into the area. Boyle looked certain to score, but ex-Hibee Calum Booth somehow managed to clear the ball when it looked like we were about to go 2-0 up. However, it wasn't long before we finally take the lead. Swanson and McGeouch linked up cleverly to create space and opportunity. Swanson found Whittaker on the edge of the area. He needed absolutely no invitation to drive the ball into the bottom corner of the net. I don't know if Simon Murray got anything on the shot but it didn't ultimately matter. Hibees were back in business and the ground was full of anticipation.

In the second half, Hibs continued where they had left off and Boyler continued to give Booth nightmares with his pace down the right. After about 5 minutes into the half, he was found guilty of hauling Squirrel down in the box - and the referee (who was keech most of the afternoon) couldn't deny Hibs a clear penalty. Swanson tried briefly to persuade Murray to let him take the spot kick but it was our red haired goal machined who would fire Hibs into a 3-1 lead on the 51st minute. Girls don't like boys, girls like Simon Murray rang out around the ground. Eight goals now so far this season. Boys don't like girls, boys also like Simon Murray

Boyle nearly provided another goal for Murray, but his shot unfortunately came back off the post....much to the relief of the rattled Thistle back line.

The remainder of the match saw each team make enforced substitutions. Doolan went off for the away team and we lost Bartley with a dead leg - sustained in an accidental collision with Steven Whittaker The biggest roar of the day was to come when Hibs replaced Swanson with Anthony Stokes. He was to come on and play a few bits of interplay with such as McGinn but it was obvious that he needs time and training to get up to speed. Although the Ayr game on Tuesday might provide an opportunity to get some useful miles on the clock.

The other incident of note in the closing stages was a ridiculous situation where John McGinn had a free kick given against him in favour of the brutal Partick No 6, Osman. It was an incident worthy of a Grant Stott run in the pantomime...McGinn clearly feeling aggrieved. Within minutes he went through the big daftie in the away defence and got himself booked for his troubles, giving Osman the thumbs up in thanks, on receiving his yellow card.

Rocky - another outing, another solid performance from the man with the reflexes and, erm, eyes of a tiger
    Lewis - tenacious and busy from the off, he ran 500 miles and would have run 500 more
    Whittaker - good goal and generally very good outing. Like the Eurythmics, he felt it was good to be back home again
    Efe - ach, another Efe efternoon. Glides and sashets through things, occasionally coming a cropper. But we are pleased Brendan released him and let him go
    Hanlon - I was worried at the start, kept looking for signs of fatigue but he came through this well. He is hopelessly devoted to you.
    McGinn - don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, he started slowly but was influential at very important times.
    Bartley - slow burner number 2. Came off worse in a collsion with Whittaker, who'd have thought that of The Boxer?

Man of the Match - officially Simon Murray and, again, it is hard to argue. Shout outs for Swanson, Whittaker, Boyle and Hanlon (given his circumstances).

I hope you all enjoyed Flag Day. I hope anyone who can gets along to the cup game on Tuesday. Please try to.

In the meantime, an alterntive lyric for the ear worm in my lug. Enjoy what's left of Flag Day...

Too many Craig Leveins

Before the day starts

Thank you…thank you

Just back the Musical
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Just back the Musical
    If only you had stood in for the roving reporter...it would have been the Bounce Dub Time Machine

Space Cadet Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    972 Post(s)
    vCash
    played some really good stuff today.... Simon Murray just does not give up... thought Swanson had his best game for us today that wee bit of flair that can unlock a defence

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    I’ve not yet had the chance to watch on Alba but did Simon Murray get a touch on whitaker’s goal? Never thought it at the game.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash
    I’ve not yet had the chance to watch on Alba but did Simon Murray get a touch on whitaker’s goal? Never thought it at the game.
    No idea. But we had some folk around us think it was a possibility. We couldn't be much further away from it though

Remember these reports always come with 1875s blunt caveat that there's no tv replays or Andy $#@! opinions in them

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm reasonably sure he jumped out the way of it as he realised he was offside... Maybe he just swung and missed.... Either way I don't think he got a touch.

*I also haven't seen the Alba pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Ha ha ha

Does anyone know if you can get the game on iPlayer?

And, when will it be available to download to iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I reckon Murray is an excellent signing and actually mentioned that I would love the hibs to sign Murray way back before last season kicked off and @spaghettihibby will confirm but to say he's already better than Cummings a week into the season beggars belief mate. I hope he is better but he's yet to convince me he is
    All about opinions..thats mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)
    vCash
    All about opinions..thats mine
    True bud hence I gave mine and we all have the bounce to mump our gums on

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    We sat off them far too much in the first ten minutes, but that was soon fixed and - with Murray leading the pressing from the front - Thistle didn't get a moment's peace. Really encouraging performance, going forward we look like a real threat. Swanson had a great game I felt. Overall, very encouraging stuff.

McGregor back in for Ambrose at Ibrox please, but I'm afraid David Gray's lost his place to Whittaker (for now).

By the way, Simon Murray definitely got a touch on Whittaker's shot, he was played onside by a Thistle centre back, but for a worrying moment I thought the linesman was going to put his flag up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    I'm reasonably sure he jumped out the way of it as he realised he was offside... Maybe he just swung and missed.... Either way I don't think he got a touch.

Murray actually tried to take the baw on the run but he either mis timed it or his first touch was murder 😂 but it ended up running perfect for whits to stroke it home with the outside of his peg

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    828 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cummings didn't get off the bench in Forest's first game.

Not how you'd treat a 'million pound player', unless he was injured... But then he wouldn't be in the squad.

Not a great start for Cumdog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post

Not how you'd treat a 'million pound player', unless he was injured... But then he wouldn't be in the squad.

I noticed that he didn't start mate and hope he doesn't end up lost down there he's never been the greatest of player's but he kens how to score goals and is the stereotypical goalscorer who thrives on confidence

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    vCash
    When I signed off after doing four "Just Backs" up to and including the Arbroath game, I anticipated my next outing on Just Back duty would be some time in September or October, when 1875 would be off to his second home in sunny Spain again. I didn't anticipate it coming as soon as the first game of the SPL season but the auld yin is off to his wee brother's 70th birthday tonight and was going to be toiling to put something together for around 24 hours...so here I go again for my fifth Just Back of the season, just 4 weeks early. His nibs will be back on duty on Tuesday night

So on to proceedings.

Too many Craig Leveins

Before the day starts

Thank you…thank you

Great report SKII, I was also impressed with our fitness levels, augurs well for the challenges ahead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash
    Very entertaining game and good result today. Partick are a decent team which can pass the ball but had no answer today. Great to see Paul H back.I don't see how Ambrose can be dropped. Surely have 5 at against the Huns? I think it's a measure of how strong Hibs were today when Thistle were 3-1 down they had to do some defending and rarely ventured out of their own half.

Deeks Riordan looked a lonely figure in the stand today. I noticed they were charging folk to sit at the same table as Mickey Weir. Surely Deeks is worthy of something similar?

Looking forward to the Ayr Utd game already. Loving being able to watch the Hibees regularly now. Can't believe my new boss is a Hibee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    True bud hence I gave mine and we all have the bounce to mump our gums on
    Understand what your saying and respect your opinion, just thought saying it beggars belief was a lil strong. My reasons are simple. I dunno if Simon is more technically gifted...probably not. I doubt he will score a goal like Jason did at Swinecastle when he flicked it overhead into the corner in the cup game. But I do think Simon is a workhorse, and today he also done some running with the ball and getting passed players. His combination work is coming on great and if Lennie can improve him the way he has improved Boyle, then I reckon we have a great player on our hands...in fact I will stick my neck out further here...if he steers clear of injury he will bag 25 goals this season!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1924 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post

Cummings has to start to get the best out of him.

IMO he did badly for us off of the bench
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2461 Post(s)
    vCash
    Excellent all round performance today for the most part against a decent Thistle team who seemed to lose their way as an attacking force when Kris Doolan had to go off.

I thought Hibs looked a bit sluggish early on and I also thought our revamped defence looked ill at ease in a flat back four with the returning Hanlon, Whittaker, Efe Ambrose and Stevenson taking a while to knit together as a unit. They were caught square with the goal which was well taken by Chris Erskine. Ambrose is a classy, confident player but he does take an awful lot of risks which I'm afraid will inevitably cost us goals as the season goes on as teams will look to capitalise on his unconventional style of defending. He came on to a good game though and he had an excellent second half. Hanlon considering it was his first start in 8 months was very good. Hibs came back well from a poor start although we did get a rub of the green for Boyles well taken equaliser. Classy finish from the impressive Whittaker after some great play from the equally impressive Danny Swanson. Have to say I thought Danny at times looked unsure of where he was supposed to be playing. He seemed to be pushed far up supporting Murray. I think he is better in a deeper more creative role but there you go. Simon Murray was a deserved MOTM. He was very unlucky not to get a second goal. Tremendous movement throughout the game dragging defenders all over the place, and a great work rate. He took his penalty well.

Despite the team looking a bit off the pace early on, I thought Hibs controlled the game from the 10th minute onwards and thoroughly deserved to win. I never put too much of a mark on the first game of the season but nonetheless it was nice to win in our first game back in the top league.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 06-08-17 at 01:49.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5539 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks J, much appreciated, and a great singalonga Just Back.

I would shout to the top about it, although I reckon Stokesy is a month off being the best thing that ever happened?

Just to point out to some posters, Simon Murray has scored 8 goals in competitive games so far, today was not his first game. I love watching him, full of energy, a great reader of the game, I think Davy is right he brings more to Hibs than cumdog.

I ken I felt out with a few on here about premature moans, I hope you can now see why I had faith in the club, Hibernian look rather good, and a win today, well, that's entertainment!
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1275 Post(s)
    vCash
    Simon Murray must be an absolute nightmare to play against. He's full of energy, never stops moving and pulls players out of position. That in itself will get him goals, but it also creates space for others to have chances. He played fantastic yesterday and long may it continue. I personally thought the treatment he received when he signed was shocking and I hope he continues to GIRFU everyone who did doubt him.
    Its Liam Henderson to deliver...
    And David Gray has scored! The captain!
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history!

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Thanks J, much appreciated, and a great singalonga Just Back.

I would shout to the top about it, although I reckon Stokesy is a month off being the best thing that ever happened?

Just to point out to some posters, Simon Murray has scored 8 goals in competitive games so far, today was not his first game. I love watching him, full of energy, a great reader of the game, I think Davy is right he brings more to Hibs than cumdog.

I ken I felt out with a few on here about premature moans, I hope you can now see why I had faith in the club, Hibernian look rather good, and a win today, well, that's entertainment!
    I agree wi you and Davy about Murray, laddie is a breath of fresh air. I moaned about Cummings frustrating the life oot me last year with his work rate, or rather lack of it. Murray never stops.
    Great report SKll , the Murray one off the post ? I thought the keeper had a good save, I maybe wrong.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post

Hibs have put the goals on Freevie. I think he actually tells Whittaker that he got a touch

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2019 Post(s)
    vCash
    C'mon chaps. JC's goals carried the team for 3 seasons. They are 2 very different kind of strikers. I'm just glad Simon has got off to a brilliant start. It will be interesting to see how he copes when he hits a bad spell and the goals dry up though. Cos like every striker that will happen. I hope that Simon's heid disnae go down too much when the grumbles and the shouts start that come wiith that. Cos that will defo happen anaw, even the bestest of the best Hibs strikers no matter what, will still get unwarranted stick from that certain kind of torn faced git of a Hibs fan. Of which we have a few.

Things look good though as his start is down to a determined mind of "Up ye's! I'll show youz!" as he had read some pretty stupid and hateful comments from fans who had had him hung drawn and quartered before he had even kicked a ba' for the Hibees. Crazy. I think he will score 20+ this season. Which will put him in a special band of strikers that we have been fortunate to have in the green & white. The King is dead, long live the King.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Two very different types of striker....Simon Murray has scored More hat tricks for a start.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2019 Post(s)
    vCash
    Two very different types of striker....Simon Murray has scored More hat tricks for a start.
    Indeed. That was his first for Hibs (obv) and the fourth in his career. JC hasn't managed one. Another reason why they are different? JC has scored 13 goals against the huns and gunts while SM has scored none. However SM has scored against Celtc while JC hasn't.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    C'mon chaps. JC's goals carried the team for 3 seasons. They are 2 very different kind of strikers. I'm just glad Simon has got off to a brilliant start. It will be interesting to see how he copes when he hits a bad spell and the goals dry up though. Cos like every striker that will happen. I hope that Simon's heid disnae go down too much when the grumbles and the shouts start that come wiith that. Cos that will defo happen anaw, even the bestest of the best Hibs strikers no matter what, will still get unwarranted stick from that certain kind of torn faced git of a Hibs fan. Of which we have a few.

Things look good though as his start is down to a determined mind of "Up ye's! I'll show youz!" as he had read some pretty stupid and hateful comments from fans who had had him hung drawn and quartered before he had even kicked a ba' for the Hibees. Crazy. I think he will score 20+ this season. Which will put him in a special band of strikers that we have been fortunate to have in the green & white. The King is dead, long live the King.
    Wisnae havin a go at JC mate, just sayin he wis a lazy wee ****.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2019 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Wisnae havin a go at JC mate, just sayin he wis a lazy wee ****.
    Aye ye were, Bill. You always have.

With Methamphetamine Murray it now looks like we have the best of both worlds. A goal scorer who is absolutely everywhere fastly! Meep -Meep!

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Indeed. That was his first for Hibs (obv) and the fourth in his career. JC hasn't managed one. Another reason why they are different? JC has scored 13 goals against the huns and gunts while SM has scored none. However SM has scored against Celtc while JC hasn't.
    Fair points b, and those games will be the ones that matter this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Ha ha ha

Does anyone know if you can get the game on iPlayer?

And, when will it be available to download to iPad?

Games up on bbc iPlayer for anyone interested

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Aye ye were, Bill. You always have.

With Methamphetamine Murray it now looks like we have the best of both worlds. A goal scorer who is absolutely everywhere fastly! Meep -Meep!
    Methamphetamine Murray Lets see if the songsters can come up with something wi that in it

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thought Stevenson had a solid game, but think he would've had an even better one of Boyle or Swanson were over there in front of him instead of Dylan, efe just scares me when he gets the ball and starts running across his own box and losing it!! Love Simon murrays work rate the laddie just doesn't give up on anything! Great start to the season now onto the games tomorrow and sat!

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Thanks J, much appreciated, and a great singalonga Just Back.I would shout to the top about it, although I reckon Stokesy is a month off being the best thing that ever happened?Just to point out to some posters, Simon Murray has scored 8 goals in competitive games so far, today was not his first game. I love watching him, full of energy, a great reader of the game, I think Davy is right he brings more to Hibs than cumdog.I ken I felt out with a few on here about premature moans, I hope you can now see why I had faith in the club, Hibernian look rather good, and a win today, well, that's entertainment!
    Hibs looked really good. I was very concerned a few weeks back about the lack of activity, but the club stepped up and made some very good signings. Doesn't help when your reading garbage about Berry not signing as he didn't get an extra couple of hundred quid. Overall I feel the club matched the investment the fans made and will happily eat humble pie.

GoGO Back To Forum