Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: With four weeks left of the summer transfer window...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2501 Post(s)
    vCash

With four weeks left of the summer transfer window...

How is the squad shaping up for the rigours of the season ahead ?
    Will there be any further movement in or out ?
    Here's my tuppence worth ...

Goalkeepers: Marciano..untested at SPL level. Big season ahead but he is an international goalkeeper and Lennon went to a lot of bother to secure him on a permanent deal. Laidlaw: Big lad..decent back-up. I think we are as strong as we could be in the goalkeeping areas.

Defence: Good competition at right back with the highly experienced Whittaker and our club captain and legend David Gray. Still no proper challenge for Lewis at left-back although Whittaker can also play there. Not sure if Crane will ever be good enough to make the step up and challenge Lewis Stevenson. Central defence looks strong but again this season will be far more of a test as we will be under significantly more pressure in many matches and will have to defend well and show strength and resilience. I hope Paul Hanlon can get himself back playing regularly soon but I have a feeling that might take a while yet.

Midfield: Looks very good but still IMO lacks goals with the exception of Danny Swanson. I was encouraged when we made the move for Luke Berry who had a good midfield goalscoring record in England, but since that deal went pear shaped there have been no reported further moves for another similar type of goalscoring midfielder. I know Commons has been quoted as possibly coming in but to be honest I will believe that when I see it. I reckon there may be moves afoot to get another midfielder in with a decent scoring pedigree. I also think we need a left-sided winger with some pace. Slivco by all accounts looked good on Saturday but it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the rigours of the Scottish game.

Strikers: Stokes when fully match fit and focussed will be a huge player for us. Simon Murray has a predatory instinct in the box which I like and his movement is superb. Dave Matu we have yet to see and will probably be behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness. When fit I think he is the sort of front man who will play regularly in Lennon's team. Which leaves the much maligned Brian Graham. I think he gets ridiculous stick from some fans. I don't think he is a bad player at all. He is very good in the air when provided with decent crosses from the wings and I think he is quite an intelligent player. Some reports state he has been told to find another club and if that happens then I think we will bring in another striker unless Lennon feels Oli Shaw is now ready to compete for a strikers spot. We need four strikers to choose from which we now have with Stokes imminent arrival, but if Graham goes I reckon we need to replace him. Personally I think Oli Shaw will go out on loan to a Championship club. It will help him in his development and IMO he has a great future at Hibs if he continues to work hard.

We also for the first time in several years have some top quality young players coming through. This a testament to the Youth Academy revamped three years ago, and we are now starting to see the benefits. Eddie May is the right man to have running that Youth Academy in my view.

In summary I have a feeling Graham will go and will be replaced, and I want to see another goalscoring midfielder in and a fast left sided winger. I also think we may see one or two players leaving...possibly that we are not expecting. No idea who though. I am confident John McGinn will still be a Hibs player next season. It would take a massive bid for Hibs to consider selling him and I just don't see that happening this summer.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 02-08-17 at 16:01.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

GoGO Back To Forum