Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and that was for Alistair Tait

Barely 4000 Hibs fans watched on as Hibs dispatched the team in maroon by a scoreline of 6 goals to 1...and the truth in all of this is that the final tally totally flattered the visitors.

Hibs looked like lining up with a rather odd formation - 6 defenders in the starting line up had us wondering if we were heading into Levein territory - but this was actually a far more forward thinking formation than first glance at the team lines would suggest.

A back 3 of Porteous, Fonts and Efe was flanked by Lewy and SDG in wing back roles. In the middle of the park, Whittaker lined up along side SJM with Boyler wide left and Swanson playing the link role to Simon Murray up top. There was no place in the squad for McGregor or Hanlon, who watched from the stands, and (more tellingly?) Handling or Graham. Marvin and Rocky were given a night's rest on the bench. There was no sign of Dave or Bob. International clearance, loan papers and the like still stand in the way of us finally setting eyes on our Leith-uanians.

Hibs started brightly, taking the game to the visitors. Lewis and SDG were playing more like wingers than wing backs at times. There were a number of chances before Simon Murray opened the scoring with 17 minutes on the South Stand clock thanks to a lovely header from a decent Lewy cross. It would not be long before Hibs were offered a chance to make it 2-0 but the influential and tricky Swanson, who took he penalty kick earned by Ryan Porteous' great run into the box, skied the ball in almost Graham-esque fashion. It was to put additional pressure on the home side for a fleeting period when Arbroath got an equaliser, completely against the run of play and with only their second attempt on goals in the half. The goal came about simply because the defence went to sleep for a split second. It was a wake up call that was to spur the Hibees back into attacking action. Possibly fearing the wrath of the manager at half time, or simply just driven to restore their rightful advantage, we went back in front just before half time with a goal from Porteous himself. Another fine header from this promising youngster.

Early in the second half Laidlaw had to look sharpish to make a good save from a net bound shot before making another save from a low drive not long after. However, these were small nuggets of sweetcorn in a bloodied turd pile of maroon for the away team, and Hibs extended their lead after Martin Boyle made a great run down the right hand side, cutting the ball across the face of the goal for the grateful and unsympathetic Murray. SJM was to add a fourth not long after with a rare outing for his right foot. A sweetly hit shot from the edge of the area wide left sailed into the top of the net. Game well and truly over.

Subs became the order of the evening with both teams using all three replacement options. Hibs replaced Swanson after he was booked again for a foul that could only be described as "taking one for the team" when Arbroath made a rare counter attack up the park. They also replaced SJM and Fonts, Martin, Murray (F) and Shaw coming on respectively.

Hibs maybe lost a little shape at this point but it didn't stop the goals coming. With a couple of minutes left on the clock, Porteous appeared again at the front post (a la Stokes?) to head a second goal for himself and a fifth for the Hibees. Deep into the final few seconds of the game, Simon Murray got a well earned hat trick when he glanced home a good cross from Whittaker.

Final score Hibernian 6 Maroon Team 1

Laidlaw - not a huge amount to do but the shot early in the second half was definitely goal bound and a good save prevented the game going to 2-2
    Stevenson - so consistent, solid as a rock.
    Gray - more like a winger than a wing back tonight. He went to the right of the back three when Fonts came off
    Fonts - well played, sir. I thought you strolled through the game on the left side of the three.
    Porteous - the official Man of the Match and it is hard to argue with that. Two good goals, won a penalty, made some good challenges. A little exposed at times by the formation as much as anything but a shift to be proud of. He'll not sleep tonight, I don't think
    Efe - he had the odd Efe moment but he pretty much strolled through this game, erm, Efe-rtlessly
    Super - a decent shift
    Whittaker - I dont think he'll play in midfield too often this season. He had an okay night but some of his passes went astray a bit too often in the first half
    Boyle - on the left for much of the game and it didn't work. He kept cutting inside. They knew he would. We knew he would. Once switched to his favoured flank he conjures up a goal almost immediately. He's had better games.
    Swanson - our most creative player again. He was my Man of the First 60 minutes. He got subbed after an hour and so this precluded him from being my Man of the Match. But only just. He played in the "Shinnie role" from last season - making all the lovely link runs between the lines, making some fab passes and generally causing Arbroath all manner of problems. He will have nightmares about his penalty miss. The goals will come.
    Murray - when he has no time to think about it, he is lethal. Movement was great, effort was likewise. He was really unlucky to have another goal (wrongly in our opinion) chalked off for offside. No danger. More goals. A Hibs hat trick. He grows on me more with every game.

Martin - came on and was solid as a rock
    Murray F - some good passes when he made his appearance late on
    Shaw - a cheeky wee cameo.

Officials - the far side linesman had a mare. A total mare.

Man of the Match - there were good outings from Lewy, Fonts, Gray, Efe, Swanson and Murray. Danny was the best player for me but the MotM goes to Porteous. 2 goals from centre half, one penalty won, some good football in between. Well played, lad.

Hibs fans - hope those 4000 hardy souls who were there enjoyed the match as much as the schadenfreude that ensued straight after the game on the way up the road

Next match - aloha Alloa. 1875 should be back and I can go back to going to the game and just enjoying it without making notes of times of goals and who did what in which sequence.

This match report is dedicated to the memory of Alistair Tait, who left us this day last year. God bless, comrade.

See you in the Gazebo on Saturday.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barely 4000 Hibs fans watched on as Hibs dispatched the team in maroon by a scoreline of 6 goals to 1...and the truth in all of this is that the final tally totally flattered the visitors.

Hibs looked like lining up with a rather odd formation - 6 defenders in the starting line up had us wondering if we were heading into Levein territory - but this was actually a far more forward thinking formation than first glance at the team lines would suggest.

A back 3 of Porteous, Fonts and Efe was flanked by Lewy and SDG in wing back roles. In the middle of the park, Whittaker lined up along side SJM with Boyler wide left and Swanson playing the link role to Simon Murray up top. There was no place in the squad for McGregor or Hanlon, who watched from the stands, and (more tellingly?) Handling or Graham. Marvin and Rocky were given a night's rest on the bench. There was no sign of Dave or Bob. International clearance, loan papers and the like still stand in the way of us finally setting eyes on our Leith-uanians.

Snipped

This match report is dedicated to the memory of Alistair Tait, who left us this day last year. God bless, comrade.

Thanks for the report boss and in particular for "Leithuanians" <- thats genius
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3346 Post(s)
    vCash
    Guid report. Enjoyed the game, and, well, I've just enjoyed being back at ER for Montrose and this one. I've missed it.

The gull apocalypse is getting out of hand, though. Will hopefully be a bit less intense once the ground is fuller.

Really impressed with our current graduates, I must say. And I enjoyed watching Danny Swanson.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Atlanta Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)
    vCash

Hibs started brightly, taking the game to the visitors. Lewis and SDG were playing more like wingers than wing backs at times. There were a number of chances before Simon Murray opened the scoring with 17 minutes on the South Stand clock thanks to a lovely header from a decent Lewy cross. It would not be long before Hibs were offered a chance to make it 2-0 but the influential and tricky Swanson, who took he penalty kick earned by Ryan Porteous' great run into the box, skied the ball in almost Graham-esque fashion. It was to put additional pressure on the home side for a fleeting period when Arbroath got an equaliser, completely against the run of play and with only their second attempt on goals in the half. The goal came about simply because the defence went to sleep for a split second. It was a wake up call that was to spur the Hibees back into attacking action. Possibly fearing the wrath of the manager at half time, or simply just driven to restore their rightful advantage, we went back in front just before half time with a goal from Porteous himself. Another fine header from this promising youngster.

Early in the second half Laidlaw had to look sharpish to make a good save from a net bound shot before making another save from a low drive not long after. However, these were small nuggets of sweetcorn in a bloodied turd pile of maroon for the away team, and Hibs extended their lead after Martin Boyle made a great run down the right hand side, cutting the ball across the face of the goal for the grateful and unsympathetic Murray. SJM was to add a fourth not long after with a rare outing for his right foot. A sweetly hit shot from the edge of the area wide left sailed into the top of the net. Game well and truly over.

Subs became the order of the evening with both teams using all three replacement options. Hibs replaced Swanson after he was booked again for a foul that could only be described as "taking one for the team" when Arbroath made a rare counter attack up the park. They also replaced SJM and Fonts, Martin, Murray (F) and Shaw coming on respectively.

Hibs maybe lost a little shape at this point but it didn't stop the goals coming. With a couple of minutes left on the clock, Porteous appeared again at the front post (a la Stokes?) to head a second goal for himself and a fifth for the Hibees. Deep into the final few seconds of the game, Simon Murray got a well earned hat trick when he glanced home a good cross from Whittaker.

Laidlaw - not a huge amount to do but the shot early in the second half was definitely goal bound and a good save prevented the game going to 2-2
    Gray - more like a winger than a wing back tonight. He went to the right of the back three when Fonts came off
    Fonts - well played, sir. I thought you strolled through the game on the left side of the three.
    Porteous - the official Man of the Match and it is hard to argue with that. Two good goals, won a penalty, made some good challenges. A little exposed at times by the formation as much as anything but a shift to be proud of. He'll not sleep tonight, I don't think
    Efe - he had the odd Efe moment but he pretty much strolled through this game, erm, Efe-rtlessly
    Super - a decent shift
    Whittaker - I dont think he'll play in midfield too often this season. He had an okay night but some of his passes went astray a bit too often in the first half
    Boyle - on the left for much of the game and it didn't work. He kept cutting inside. They knew he would. We knew he would. Once switched to his favoured flank he conjures up a goal almost immediately. He's had better games.
    Swanson - our most creative player again. He was my Man of the First 60 minutes. He got subbed after an hour and so this precluded him from being my Man of the Match. But only just. He played in the "Shinnie role" from last season - making all the lovely link runs between the lines, making some fab passes and generally causing Arbroath all manner of problems. He will have nightmares about his penalty miss. The goals will come.
    Murray - when he has no time to think about it, he is lethal. Movement was great, effort was likewise. He was really unlucky to have another goal (wrongly in our opinion) chalked off for offside. No danger. More goals. A Hibs hat trick. He grows on me more with every game.

Man of the Match - there were good outings from Lewy, Fonts, Gray, Efe, Swanson and Murray. Danny was the best player for me but the MotM goes to Porteous. 2 goals from centre half, one penalty won, some good football in between. Well played, lad.

Hibs fans - hope those 4000 hardy souls who were there enjoyed the match as much as the schadenfreude that ensued straight after the game on the way up the road

Next match - aloha Alloa. 1875 should be back and I can go back to going to the game and just enjoying it without making notes of times of goals and who did what in which sequence.

Ali never forgotten

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great and entertaining report, thanks so much, J.

Thinking of our late friend, Alistair today. Half a dozen for you, dear Ali. Sleep well, buddy. x

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    Guid report. Enjoyed the game, and, well, I've just enjoyed being back at ER for Montrose and this one. I've missed it.

The gull apocalypse is getting out of hand, though. Will hopefully be a bit less intense once the ground is fuller.

Really impressed with our current graduates, I must say. And I enjoyed watching Danny Swanson.
    The gulls just appeared en masse with about 43 mins on the clock...perfect half time timing. I see Super was sent some luck by one of them too...

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Great and entertaining report, thanks so much, J.

Thinking of our late friend, Alistair today. Half a dozen for you, dear Ali. Sleep well, buddy. x
    Can't believe it's a year. God bless.
    GGTTH

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great report J, as ever, and very much appreciate your efforts. I am back on ahem dry land, and will pick up the baton for Alloa, subject to my tickets appearing in the post?

Murray - when he has no time to think about it, he is lethal.
    Who does that remind you of?

RIP Ali, a great Hibby, sadly missed by many.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Great report J, as ever, and very much appreciate your efforts. I am back on ahem dry land, and will pick up the baton for Alloa, subject to my tickets appearing in the post?

Who does that remind you of?

RIP Ali, a great Hibby, sadly missed by many.

Did you opt to have them posted? I've always collected. Didn't know you could have AST tickets sent out?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers SK.

Nothing like a bit of schadenfreude up the road!
    Space to let

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Did you opt to have them posted? I've always collected. Didn't know you could have AST tickets sent out?
    I did, all sorted, have to collect this time, posted in the future. See you in the Gazebo.
    nil satis nisi optimum

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Only worry was Arbroath getting two shots on goals from a corner, one saved by Laidlaw, the other a goal. Do we need to work harder on these?

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    vCash

Super - a decent shift

Great report sk. ..
    Will make a roving reporter out off you yet. .GGTTH

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)
    vCash
    When was the last time we got under 5000 at a competitive game? (Not including Irn Bru challenge cup or whatever it's called )
    until the sky turns green

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash
    The gulls just appeared en masse with about 43 mins on the clock...perfect half time timing. I see Super was sent some luck by one of them too...
    One $#@! on my mate last season. I handed him a paper hankie and he said 'dinnae be $#@!in silly, it'll be miles away by now'

- - - Updated - - -

Oh meant tae say, cracking report matey👍

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    vCash
    Think the gulls last night were arbroaths young team

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    Only worry was Arbroath getting two shots on goals from a corner, one saved by Laidlaw, the other a goal. Do we need to work harder on these?
    Agree with u m8, the goal was very poor they switched off totally hopefully lesson learned. It's always hard to judge against lesser teams but I enjoyed the game strikers always on the move and not coming to deep for ball which I felt was a failing last year.

One little thing for me especially in 1st half was the centre Mids where a little to deep at times and to far from strikers for linking up At times but that mite just be me.

But over all exciting times to be a hibs supporter think this team will score for fun this season GGTTH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoGO Back To Forum