Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Retirement age now to be 75...

  1. #1
    Administrator


    SKII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    15,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4569 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2755

    Retirement age now to be 75...

    In Japan.
    However, we probably won't be far behind in the long run.

    What a thought...

    Who reckons that they are in a job they'd still be up to at 75?
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

  2. #2
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4647 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1109
    I'll be greeting if I have to keep flipping burgers til I'm 75!

  3. #3
    Donator






    HATTIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Moredun
    Posts
    8,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    1396
    Rep Power
    611
    75 year old climbing a 3 part ladder to paint a window....hmmm
    GGTTH

  4. #4
    radge grandad radge

    hibbybilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gilmerting
    Posts
    8,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2459 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1298
    Quote Originally Posted by HATTIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    75 year old climbing a 3 part ladder to paint a window....hmmm
    Can hardly climb one now and I'm $#@!in only 60😩


    Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

  5. #5
    get off yer bum an sing radge


    Davy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    540
    first they will up the age for bus passes

  6. #6
    Shameless Radge




    PILTONSTANY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh's Waterfront
    Posts
    13,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2688 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    691
    Up to age 68 in 2037,magic 😱
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

  7. #7
    Radge Donator
    Two Headed Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    412
    I'm a desk jockey, so I probably could sit on my arse in front of a computer until I'm 75, but still... $#@! that. Life's too short to be working til that age even if we do end up living to 100. There has to be a point where you have done your time and earned your rest.

  8. #8
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6629 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    1982
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Japan.
    However, we probably won't be far behind in the long run.

    What a thought...

    Who reckons that they are in a job they'd still be up to at 75?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be greeting if I have to keep flipping burgers til I'm 75!
    Quote Originally Posted by HATTIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    75 year old climbing a 3 part ladder to paint a window....hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can hardly climb one now and I'm $#@!in only 60😩
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    first they will up the age for bus passes
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Up to age 68 in 2037,magic 😱
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a desk jockey, so I probably could sit on my arse in front of a computer until I'm 75, but still... $#@! that. Life's too short to be working til that age even if we do end up living to 100. There has to be a point where you have done your time and earned your rest.
    Private pension companies will be rubbing their hands in glee at this turn of events. The only way to retire "early" will now be if you've invested in a pension of your own. If you haven't, you work until you drop.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  9. #9
    get off yer bum an sing radge


    Davy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    540
    I suppose it is inevitable age will rise. 65 has been official age for years...60 for woman and now noth 67. But when it began most of the physical workforce, eg miners, factory workers, shipbuilders and so on were usually dead by 40-50 and not to many lasted past 70. As always the bankers, office workers, politicians etc had a far greater life expectancy. So the goverment and pension pots will certainly not factor in millions living way into their 80's

    I have no idea how much is put away for pensions and how well the investments do so maybe the goverment are moving some monies elsewhere, or have been over the years.

    Little article on pension age and how it came around here Why is the Retirement Age 65? | Mental Floss

  10. #10
    Donator

    Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fauldhouse
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1641 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Private pension companies will be rubbing their hands in glee at this turn of events. The only way to retire "early" will now be if you've invested in a pension of your own. If you haven't, you work until you drop.
    And let's guess who'll have shares and directorships in those companies. The same Tory $#@!s making the laws of course
    'Live Long and Prosper........unless you're a Gunt' - said Mr Spock

  11. #11
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6629 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    1982
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And let's guess who'll have shares and directorships in those companies. The same Tory $#@!s making the laws of course
    Indeed mate. That was my first thought when I started typing.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  12. #12
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4647 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1109
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose it is inevitable age will rise. 65 has been official age for years...60 for woman and now noth 67. But when it began most of the physical workforce, eg miners, factory workers, shipbuilders and so on were usually dead by 40-50 and not to many lasted past 70. As always the bankers, office workers, politicians etc had a far greater life expectancy. So the goverment and pension pots will certainly not factor in millions living way into their 80'sI have no idea how much is put away for pensions and how well the investments do so maybe the goverment are moving some monies elsewhere, or have been over the years.Little article on pension age and how it came around here Why is the Retirement Age 65? | Mental Floss
    I'll be surprised if there's any kind of state pension when i get to retiral age.

  13. #13
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    417 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Up a little bit at a time until the average person doesn't get more than a few years worth. Can't have the plebs eating into money they'll only waste. It needs to go to the rightful owners

  14. #14
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    791
    Why the UK is the worst European country to retire in

    Why the UK is the worst European country to retire in - AOL UK Money
    Space to let

  15. #15
    Administrator


    SKII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    15,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4569 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2755
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Up to age 68 in 2037,magic 😱
    Talk about timing...it won't stop there

    There's a recruitment problem in our sector and retired staff, who went on previous much better terms than current staff will, are being written to by the SG asking what would tempt them out of retirement to plug some of the gaps. The response had been pretty much universally "nothing - get lost".

    Can't blame them even if they are way better off than current and future staff will ever be.

    I think I'm headed for a till in Markies long before I'm 67.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

  16. #16
    radge grandad radge

    hibbybilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gilmerting
    Posts
    8,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2459 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1298
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Private pension companies will be rubbing their hands in glee at this turn of events. The only way to retire "early" will now be if you've invested in a pension of your own. If you haven't, you work until you drop.
    I don't think my back will hold out until I'm 65 so I'll go on the sick Dub. Nae private pension here.


    Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

  17. #17
    Radge Private Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1093 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Who the feck wants to live to 75, let alone work till then.

  18. #18
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1011
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a desk jockey, so I probably could sit on my arse in front of a computer until I'm 75, but still... $#@! that. Life's too short to be working til that age even if we do end up living to 100. There has to be a point where you have done your time and earned your rest.
    I'm the same. If I can retire at 60 I will....but probably 65 if I make it to then.
    My pension won't be great but money isn't everything. Your health and general life happiness is much more important
    I want to retire and still have years of reasonable health to travel and other stuff.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

    John Hughes

  19. #19
    get off yer bum an sing radge


    Davy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    540
    going to be 67 in 20 years time

    State pension age rise brought forward - BBC News

  20. #20
    Administrator


    SKII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    15,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4569 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2755
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PiltonStany referenced this already in the thread
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

  21. #21
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    791
    As someone who's already cut and run can I just say thank goodness I did.

    Early on in my stint in health I was at a dentists conference. At one of the sessions we were told that a dentist retiring at 55 had a live expectancy of 83 or so. A dentist retiring at their normal retirement age of 60 could expect to live to live into their 70s. A dentist working on till 65 could only expect to live 2 years beyond that.

    I expect similar figures for everyone.

    There's already people living in many of our deprived area whose life expectancy is lower than the current old age pension age.

    I always remember the story of the Glasgow doctor who advised a woman patient that if she didn't change her lifestyle she'd be dead in 5 years, or something like that. She was in her mid 50s. That not bad she said my dad only lived till he was 57.

    This brings in other factors such as people's desire to do something about there health. Not everyone is motivated to live for as long as they can. There are people out there only too happy to die [early] to escape the miserable lives they lead in poor housing, whose expectations social and otherwise would shock make many of us.

    It's not just pensions that need sorted out for our much loved older generation.

    It's all about choices. It would appear successive governments have made the choice that old folk, particularly in poorer areas, need to move on to the afterlife as soon as.

  22. #22
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4647 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1109
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Perry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who the feck wants to live to 75, let alone work till then.
    What makes you say that?

  23. #23
    Justified Radge



    aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montrose Terrace Massive
    Posts
    6,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3338 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2032
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Perry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who the feck wants to live to 75, let alone work till then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes you say that?
    Ken? Personally, as long as I retain my marbles and a reasonable degree of health, I'll still want to be watching the cabbage at 75!
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

  24. #24
    get off yer bum an sing radge


    Davy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who's already cut and run can I just say thank goodness I did.

    Early on in my stint in health I was at a dentists conference. At one of the sessions we were told that a dentist retiring at 55 had a live expectancy of 83 or so. A dentist retiring at their normal retirement age of 60 could expect to live to live into their 70s. A dentist working on till 65 could only expect to live 2 years beyond that.

    I expect similar figures for everyone.

    There's already people living in many of our deprived area whose life expectancy is lower than the current old age pension age.

    I always remember the story of the Glasgow doctor who advised a woman patient that if she didn't change her lifestyle she'd be dead in 5 years, or something like that. She was in her mid 50s. That not bad she said my dad only lived till he was 57.

    This brings in other factors such as people's desire to do something about there health. Not everyone is motivated to live for as long as they can. There are people out there only too happy to die [early] to escape the miserable lives they lead in poor housing, whose expectations social and otherwise would shock make many of us.

    It's not just pensions that need sorted out for our much loved older generation.

    It's all about choices. It would appear successive governments have made the choice that old folk, particularly in poorer areas, need to move on to the afterlife as soon as.


    Ill be cashing in my pointless pension next year..wont be retiring though. These figures for working on as a dfentist are pretty disturbing though....woulda thought that was a fairly cousty job

  25. #25
    Radge Private Member

    tricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    standing on the brink of history
    Posts
    5,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1774 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ken? Personally, as long as I retain my marbles and a reasonable degree of health, I'll still want to be watching the cabbage at 75!
    aye agreed, my dad was 78 when Hibs finally won the Scottish Cup and yes he was on the pitch.
    until the sky turns green

  26. #26
    On holiday Radge
    broonieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,812
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Talk about timing...it won't stop there

    There's a recruitment problem in our sector and retired staff, who went on previous much better terms than current staff will, are being written to by the SG asking what would tempt them out of retirement to plug some of the gaps. The response had been pretty much universally "nothing - get lost".

    Can't blame them even if they are way better off than current and future staff will ever be.

    I think I'm headed for a till in Markies long before I'm 67.
    Can't blame them. Some of the deals they blagged were very good!!

    I'll no be wearing my trackies at 75.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Radge Private Member

    tricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    standing on the brink of history
    Posts
    5,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1774 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by broonieboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't blame them. Some of the deals they blagged were very good!!

    I'll no be wearing my trackies at 75.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hope I'm not still in the tracksuit at 67...oooft.
    until the sky turns green

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Patriotic Retirement Plan
    By Jack in forum The Pie Stand
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-08-09, 16:05
  2. Retirement?
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-08, 13:15
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-09-08, 21:58

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •