Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2394 Post(s)
    vCash

Development squad game agains CS Strollers today

For the first time ever I ventured to Civil Service Strollers ground at Muirhouse today and watched Hibs development team draw 1-1 with the home side. Can't offer much of a personal assessment on our players as I only recognised a few of them and there were no team sheets issued. Pitch wasn't too great and there was a swirling wind which did not help the game to be honest. Quite a competitive game but to be honest there was nobody in the Hibs team who stood out for me...except the young Polish goalkeeper who apart from a bad mistake for the Strollers goal (first shot of the game and he badly misjudged the bounce of the ball) was absolutely outstanding and made some great saves from free-kicks. He is a big lad and dominates his box well. Danny Handling played and did OK without really dominating the game as he should be capable of at that level. Still struggling for fitness possibly. Oli Shaw scored Hibs goal and took it well. He took a knock just on the stroke of half-time and didn't reappear in the second half. Hibs missed several good chances in the second half and probably could have edged it on chances created, but a draw was probably about right.

Not really the best of games if I'm being honest, but I think the pitch and windy conditions contributed.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 16-07-17 at 21:43.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers for the report bud 👍
    Seems like everytime I hear the name oli shaw it's followed with the word goal which is good to see/hear

Ps don't leave it so long to visit muirhouse the next time 😜 you actually visited a very scenic part lol

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2394 Post(s)
    vCash
    It was my first ever visit to the CS Strollers ground....been to Muirhouse quite a few times !
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1589 Post(s)
    vCash
    watched bits of it from our youth club pitches over the fence from them, didn't sound like an inspiring game, a few moans and groans from the crowd(possibly at the ref)

swirling wind was brilliant though, as it dispersed most of the grass I was cutting from our pitches

apparently Hibs being ripped by the Strollers Youth wummin on FB for dingying the bairns after the game

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4058 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report.

Shame about the state of the pitch. When I was a lad and played for the Strollers it was reckoned to be one of the best pitches in Scotland. The main pitch that was and it was huge in comparison with other pitches we played on away from home! The other pitches there were always in great nick too.

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the report.

Shame about the state of the pitch. When I was a lad and played for the Strollers it was reckoned to be one of the best pitches in Scotland. The main pitch that was and it was huge in comparison with other pitches we played on away from home! The other pitches there were always in great nick too.
    The pitch they use now is the one that was at the back fence next to the Salvie houses, the one that had a bit of a slope to it. They fenced it off when the College bought over the whole place. Was never the best pitch, like the ones that were out the front of the clubhouse, thats where DeMarco have built their indoor 7s pitches.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4058 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerhibby View Post
    The pitch they use now is the one that was at the back fence next to the Salvie houses, the one that had a bit of a slope to it. They fenced it off when the College bought over the whole place. Was never the best pitch, like the ones that were out the front of the clubhouse, thats where DeMarco have built their indoor 7s pitches.
    Yeah, I went down last year to see the Hibs play. I was a bit disappointed then too. Not the Strollers fault, I understand, but the Civil Service Sports Association or whatever they're called.
    Space to let

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    It was my first ever visit to the CS Strollers ground....been to Muirhouse quite a few times !
    My apologies gm 👍

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Yeah, I went down last year to see the Hibs play. I was a bit disappointed then too. Not the Strollers fault, I understand, but the Civil Service Sports Association or whatever they're called.
    The CSSA dont own it any more, sold the clubhouse years ago to the College, land is owned by Council. Its now officially Edinburgh College Marine Drive Campus.
    The Strollers only lease part of the clubhouse(ch rms and bar), as well as the pitch area from EC.

DeMarco bought out a big part of a couple of years ago to install their new 7s pitches which open in a couple of weeks
    They shouldve sold the whole thing to Demarco, as they have refurbed their part of the building, and left the CSS side untouched.

Probably been cheaper to knock the whole thing down and start again.
    Which is what the Council will be doing to our place shortly

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    vCash
    watched bits of it from our youth club pitches over the fence from them, didn't sound like an inspiring game, a few moans and groans from the crowd(possibly at the ref)

swirling wind was brilliant though, as it dispersed most of the grass I was cutting from our pitches

apparently Hibs being ripped by the Strollers Youth wummin on FB for dingying the bairns after the game
    There's a guy on .net who's connected to CSS and he said he'd spoken to the manager who said no meet and greet had been arranged so don't know what that's all about.

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1589 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmLee View Post
    There's a guy on .net who's connected to CSS and he said he'd spoken to the manager who said no meet and greet had been arranged so don't know what that's all about.
    its one of the women who run the youth section mouthing off.
    She has absolutely no clue how fitbaw clubs work and just bumping her gums to sound important, having a rant on a FB page isn't the way to deal with it if they want teams like Hibs to return to them in the future.
    If there was a major issue either TB, RP, or KS(Strollers Committee) would have dealt with it.

edit: its now been removed

obviously she's been telt

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report.

Are CS teams alway called 'Strollers'? I used to play against a London civil service team (at cricket though!) and they were also called that.
    so what do I know

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4058 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    Are CS teams alway called 'Strollers'? I used to play against a London civil service team (at cricket though!) and they were also called that.
    I think so. All the teams I ever knew were known as the Strollers, Edinburgh one was formed on 1908.

We used to get messages, letters in the post in these days, congratulating us when we hit the teleprinter after cup games!

I played in a few UK tournaments when it was just the location that was mentioned.

There's not much of a big team cricket things up here for the civil service, or there wasn't. It tends to be small department stuff midweek friendlies with big weekend team players if you know what I mean.

I tried to get the Secretary of State for Scotland to put up as cricket trophy as there was a great fun department football one, summer league, but despite having friends in his office I was told to bolt!
    Space to let

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1589 Post(s)
    vCash

Traditionally, in fitbaw, the 2nd team at most clubs were known as the 'Strollers'.
    The Edinburgh Civil Service FC, away back in the day, had a 2nd team, CS Strollers, and in 1908 they broke away to form their own team and called themselves CS Strollers FC. Thats what it is today.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think so. All the teams I ever knew were known as the Strollers, Edinburgh one was formed on 1908.

We used to get messages, letters in the post in these days, congratulating us when we hit the teleprinter after cup games!

I played in a few UK tournaments when it was just the location that was mentioned.

There's not much of a big team cricket things up here for the civil service, or there wasn't. It tends to be small department stuff midweek friendlies with big weekend team players if you know what I mean.

I tried to get the Secretary of State for Scotland to put up as cricket trophy as there was a great fun department football one, summer league, but despite having friends in his office I was told to bolt!
    - I feel I should thank you on behalf of cricketers ;) Wonder who that SoS was...

- - - Updated - - -

Traditionally, in fitbaw, the 2nd team at most clubs were known as the 'Strollers'.
    The Edinburgh Civil Service FC, away back in the day, had a 2nd team, CS Strollers, and in 1908 they broke away to form their own team and called themselves CS Strollers FC. Thats what it is today.
    Ah, interesting. Thanks hombre.
    so what do I know

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4058 Post(s)
    vCash
    - I feel I should thank you on behalf of cricketers ;) Wonder who that SoS was...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, interesting. Thanks hombre.
    To be honest it was that long ago I couldn't be sure. Might have been Jack McConnell.
    Space to let

GoGO Back To Forum