Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and that was four goals, three points and a conversion

Hibs started their competitive season today against Montrose with a four goal win over the part timers. Two goals in each half were more than enough to take Hibs to the top of the section table after one round of matches and they will go up the road to Dingwall for a much sterner test on Friday night, having given a few youngsters the opportunity to have a run out this afternoon.
    Playing with 3 at the back, Porteous got his first competitive outing alongside McGregor and Fonts, with the usual pairing of Gray and Lewis at wing back. Dylan, SJM and Boyle played across the middle with Fraser Murray sitting just in behind his namesake Simon. There was no place in the squad for the returning Whittaker or walkabout Ambrose. Danny Swanson was missing through suspension.

Hibs started brightly with both Murrays, McGeouch and Stevenson impressing. Gary Murray's laddie was a real handful for Montrose and his former team mate, Sean Dillon, was charged with trying to keep the eager forward quiet. Dillon, it has to be said, for my money was the fittest and best of the Montrose players - his recent full time football looking obvious compared to the wide range of all-inclusive holiday beer bellies on show in away strips reminiscent of yon Hearts strip in season 1985-86. You know, the grey and white one? The one they included in the book The Wrong Colour of Strips? Aye, that one...and it was to prove as lucky for the opposition as that 86 vintage one did for the Gunts.

The official attendance was just over 5000 and I have to say that from our seats in the West we couldnt fathom why it was so high. Perhaps there were more in the West than elsewhere and that accounts for this perception. The East was very sparsely populated. The FF not any better. There were around 200 away supporters who had made the long trip down the road. Maybe all those West Stand prawn sandwiches were also the reason for the 200 gulls that descended from nowhere around half time and then didn't beggar off again...

Back to the first half and Dylan was pulling the strings in the middle of the park, showing real 360 vision and movement. He is a joy to watch in full flow and both he and Fraser Murray were looking to play in the ginger version at every opportunity. Lewis was getting down the left flank regularly and delivered a couple of tasty crosses from the goal line that were troublesome for the visiting defence. It was one of these crosses that was met by the head of yon Simon version of the Murray clan and converted for the opening goal after 12 minutes. And it wasn't too long before his younger clansman Fraser added to the tally when he fired a great low shot beyond the keeper and his Alice Band after 22 minutes had passed. The build up play between him and Simon was a joy to watch. And that was the theme for today for the red haired son of Gary. His link up play was very good, his goal return good and his overall play good. It may only have been Montrose but it matters not one jot. He is getting more assured with every passing game in a green and white jersey and that can only be a good thing for us all.

Squirrel, who was less effective today than last week, had nearly scored a cracking goal himself earlier in proceedings but his effort came back off the post just moments before Hibs opened the scoring. Super was more Standard John McGinn today but he was hit several times in the opening period of the game with some meaty challenges going in from some of these players who certainly didn't need an all day breakfast.

Shot after shot came, chance after chance. The keeper made a decent stop from Simon with his feet before a Sir DG header went over the bar. Another effort from Dylan went wide.

At half time Hibs were rightly applauded off and those of us who had toddled along to ER for the game were very much glad we had done so. It was an enjoyable 45 minutes. Murray (S) made it 3-0 soon into the second half when he timed his run and got the better of his former team mate Dillon, to header home part two of his brace. Hibs had not started the half well, with some sloppy passing, some wandering by Darren putting the back three at risk and passes going astray. They were soon "telt" by the manager to get their act together. Hibs hooked Dylan after less than an hour - why risk anything with a player so precious but so, well, precious? Also leaving proceedings midway through the half were Fonts and then finally Murray. Martin, Shaw and Graham replacing them accordingly.

Graham, who missed the most horrendous penalty during the week, was given a chance to make amends late in the second half after a spot kick was awarded by Son of Dallas. There was a ripple of consternation around the stadium before a round of applause replaced it on his run up. I thought I heard a couple of boos but couldn't be sure. There were certainly smert ersed shouts to the effect he should remember the Lions tour was finished. He's not the answer, I'm struggling to remember what they thought the question was in the first place, but he is our player taking a penalty in a competitive match. We need to kinda remember that if he stays. That said, he is at the front of the queue for the boo boys this season.

Hibs ran out worthy winners. The second half not so entertaining or fluent as the first but tonight we sit atop of the league in our section. Next up is a trip to Dingwall on Friday night and hopefully as many fans that can make it will do so. £12 for adults on the gate and there are supporters buses running.

Marciano - square root of hee haw to do. Clean sheet, clean shorts.
    Gray - solid outing and could have scored a header in the second half courtesy of another cross from Lewis
    Fonts - good hour's outing before being replaced
    McGregor - in charge and the back and untroubled
    Lewis - several good crosses in today, the best at the back for me...just ahead of...
    Porteous - who looks years ahead of his age and stage. He is going to be needed I suspect when Gray and McGregor are suspended
    Boyle - okay but nowhere near the level of impact as last weekend
    SJM - not Super, mair Standard John today. By Sauzee he has beefed up over the holiday though.
    McGeouch - a Dylan masterclass. 360 play. He's a star when fit and in form.
    F Murray - good first half, some lovely link play and a good goal.
    S Murray - he gets better and better. Now we just need to sign a foil for him.

Graham - scored his pen under a lot of pressure.
    Martin - neat and tidy play as ever
    Shaw - should have scored, missing an open goal late on.

Man of the Match - between Dylan, Wee Murray, Lewis and Big Murray. Wee Murray got it at the game, I'm going with Big Murray. He ran all day, caused real consternation, scored two very good goals and looks like he is absolutely having a ball.

See you all on BT Sport or at Dingwall on Friday
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs started their competitive season today against Montrose with a four goal win over the part timers. Two goals in each half were more than enough to take Hibs to the top of the section table after one round of matches and they will go up the road to Dingwall for a much sterner test on Friday night, having given a few youngsters the opportunity to have a run out this afternoon.
    Playing with 3 at the back, Porteous got his first competitive outing alongside McGregor and Fonts, with the usual pairing of Gray and Lewis at wing back. Dylan, SJM and Boyle played across the middle with Fraser Murray sitting just in behind his namesake Simon. There was no place in the squad for the returning Whittaker or walkabout Ambrose. Danny Swanson was missing through suspension.

Hibs started brightly with both Murrays, McGeouch and Stevenson impressing. Gary Murray's laddie was a real handful for Montrose and his former team mate, Sean Dillon, was charged with trying to keep the eager forward quiet. Dillon, it has to be said, for my money was the fittest and best of the Montrose players - his recent full time football looking obvious compared to the wide range of all-inclusive holiday beer bellies on show in away strips reminiscent of yon Hearts strip in season 1985-86. You know, the grey and white one? The one they included in the book The Wrong Colour of Strips? Aye, that one...and it was to prove as lucky for the opposition as that 86 vintage one did for the Gunts.

The official attendance was just over 5000 and I have to say that from our seats in the West we couldnt fathom why it was so high. Perhaps there were more in the West than elsewhere and that accounts for this perception. The East was very sparsely populated. The FF not any better. There were around 200 away supporters who had made the long trip down the road. Maybe all those West Stand prawn sandwiches were also the reason for the 200 gulls that descended from nowhere around half time and then didn't beggar off again...

Back to the first half and Dylan was pulling the strings in the middle of the park, showing real 360 vision and movement. He is a joy to watch in full flow and both he and Fraser Murray were looking to play in the ginger version at every opportunity. Lewis was getting down the left flank regularly and delivered a couple of tasty crosses from the goal line that were troublesome for the visiting defence. It was one of these crosses that was met by the head of yon Simon version of the Murray clan and converted for the opening goal after 12 minutes. And it wasn't too long before his younger clansman Fraser added to the tally when he fired a great low shot beyond the keeper and his Alice Band after 22 minutes had passed. The build up play between him and Simon was a joy to watch. And that was the theme for today for the red haired son of Gary. His link up play was very good, his goal return good and his overall play good. It may only have been Montrose but it matters not one jot. He is getting more assured with every passing game in a green and white jersey and that can only be a good thing for us all.

Squirrel, who was less effective today than last week, had nearly scored a cracking goal himself earlier in proceedings but his effort came back off the post just moments before Hibs opened the scoring. Super was more Standard John McGinn today but he was hit several times in the opening period of the game with some meaty challenges going in from some of these players who certainly didn't need an all day breakfast.

Shot after shot came, chance after chance. The keeper made a decent stop from Simon with his feet before a Sir DG header went over the bar. Another effort from Dylan went wide.

At half time Hibs were rightly applauded off and those of us who had toddled along to ER for the game were very much glad we had done so. It was an enjoyable 45 minutes. Murray (S) made it 3-0 soon into the second half when he timed his run and got the better of his former team mate Dillon, to header home part two of his brace. Hibs had not started the half well, with some sloppy passing, some wandering by Darren putting the back three at risk and passes going astray. They were soon "telt" by the manager to get their act together. Hibs hooked Dylan after less than an hour - why risk anything with a player so precious but so, well, precious? Also leaving proceedings midway through the half were Fonts and then finally Murray. Martin, Shaw and Graham replacing them accordingly.

Graham, who missed the most horrendous penalty during the week, was given a chance to make amends late in the second half after a spot kick was awarded by Son of Dallas. There was a ripple of consternation around the stadium before a round of applause replaced it on his run up. I thought I heard a couple of boos but couldn't be sure. There were certainly smert ersed shouts to the effect he should remember the Lions tour was finished. He's not the answer, I'm struggling to remember what they thought the question was in the first place, but he is our player taking a penalty in a competitive match. We need to kinda remember that if he stays. That said, he is at the front of the queue for the boo boys this season.

Hibs ran out worthy winners. The second half not so entertaining or fluent as the first but tonight we sit atop of the league in our section. Next up is a trip to Dingwall on Friday night and hopefully as many fans that can make it will do so. £12 for adults on the gate and there are supporters buses running.

Gray - solid outing and could have scored a header in the second half courtesy of another cross from Lewis
    Lewis - several good crosses in today, the best at the back for me...just ahead of...
    Porteous - who looks years ahead of his age and stage. He is going to be needed I suspect when Gray and McGregor are suspended
    SJM - not Super, mair Standard John today. By Sauzee he has beefed up over the holiday though.

Man of the Match - between Dylan, Wee Murray, Lewis and Big Murray. Wee Murray got it at the game, I'm going with Big Murray. He ran all day, caused real consternation, scored two very good goals and looks like he is absolutely having a ball.

Agree with that, imo Murrays movement is a lot better than Cummings as is his heading and work rate. He is matching Cummings goal scoring just now so I see him as an improvement.

Fwiw it was a tight angle for Shaw at the end and I think he tried to cut it back for the player on the edge of the 6 yard box

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    cheers sk.

and so the big green train pulls out the station en route to new advenchoors...

bring all to dingwall ggtth
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wsamcrowe View Post
    Agree with that, imo Murrays movement is a lot better than Cummings as is his heading and work rate. He is matching Cummings goal scoring just now so I see him as an improvement.

Fwiw it was a tight angle for Shaw at the end and I think he tried to cut it back for the player on the edge of the 6 yard box
    We were right behind him (as you were) and had a good line of sight for the angle. I don't think he did try to cut it back. He maybe actually just went "with the wrong foot" for the position he found himself in.

Thankfully, it matters not and he will move on.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks J, good read.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    vCash
    Pretty much agree with all of SKII's report. Though regarding Shaw's miss at the end, it was a sitter and yet I did a little jig of delight when he missed....£10 @ 8/1 on 4-0 will do that to a man

I'm a Pogues Radge
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    vCash
    There was a ripple of boos.. shocking
    SUNSHINE ON LEITH. hibbymick

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3573 Post(s)
    vCash
    I`ll be at Dingwall next week....10 minutes fae ma hoose. Finally some of yez will see what it`s like for me tae traipse tae Embra every other week...

I started out with nothing and i`ve still got most of it left.

" Without people, you`re nothing.." - Joe Strummer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I`ll be at Dingwall next week....10 minutes fae ma hoose. Finally some of yez will see what it`s like for me tae traipse tae Embra every other week...

Fair comment Fritz , total respect to you and all other far traveling hibs fan's.

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers SK11.. good report..
    GGTTH

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2461 Post(s)
    vCash
    Decent pre-season work-out played out in front of a sparse crowd. There is just no real appetite for these League Cup section games at this time of the year I'm afraid. Missed the first 10 minutes as my new ST card would not scan at the turnstyle. Had to go and queue up at the ticket office and got a paper ticket whilst they took my ST away to check it as there seems to be a problem with it. Anyone else have any similar problems ?

Against very poor part-time opposition Hibs strolled the game and played some good football and scored some good goals. Very impressed with Ryan Porteous and Fraser Murray. Simon Murray I thought was superb. His movement off the ball is excellent as is his workrate. He took his goals well and probably should have had a couple more denied only by a wee lack of composure and some good goalkeeping. That was not a sitter missed by Oli Shaw at the end IMO. Had a great view of it high up in the East...he was at a very tight angle and it fell on to his much weaker left foot. The half chance he had just before that where he had time to line up his shot but missed the target will have annoyed him much more.

Soft penalty award I thought (but then I hate the handball in the box rule), but I'm glad Brian Graham scored (just) as for some reason he has become the fall-guy for some fans. He is no world beater for sure, but he gives his all, links up well and is decent in the air on the very rare occasions when he has a accurate cross to attack.

Hopefully another positive result at Dingwall on Friday night which will be a stern test for sure.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 15-07-17 at 23:25.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm sure there will be a decent demand for tickets for the Final.

All the 'can't be bothered' brigade will get their diehard t shirts on.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    vCash

Thanks SK11, S Murray was my motm, his chasing down will get us opportunities out of nothing. Porteous , Stevenson and McGeouch also had decent performances imo, , 3 more quality signings will see us have a good season.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post

Watch out, you will be called an uber fan for saying things like that.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers SK.
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers for the report, had to work, seems legislation allowing holidays for other folk is actually enforceable.

Hope my gut feeling about S Murray being a bad signing was wrong, he's doing all that can be asked of him to prove his talents.

I'm really hoping the youngsters coming through are given a chance this season. Especially keen on young Murray. Might be harder for Porteous given the competition at centre back, but I'm sure opportunities will come his way..thought his post match interview was impressive, very mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash

Uber fan

Cheers Skll sounds like we had a good start to a hopefully trophy winning season

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash

As Neil Lennon said himself yesterday was part of the pre season with a "competitive edge".

Fans know that and that's why the crowd was poor.

I'm looking forward to the final.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    As Neil Lennon said himself yesterday was part of the pre season with a "competitive edge".

Fans know that and that's why the crowd was poor.

I'm looking forward to the final.
    The tee shirts printed yet😂

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    vCash

Cheers Mark. ..
    Great report can't wait to read your report each week. .GGTTH

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4595 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy/hibee. View Post
    Cheers Mark. ..
    Great report can't wait to read your report each week. .GGTTH
    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    I'm not 1875.

He's on holiday. When he's away I step in. Have done the last two and on the next two. I did ten last season but you maybe missed those

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)
    vCash
    thanks for the match report, away for the weekend in the borders so missed it but did see Bobby Johnstone Green in Selkirk..
    until the sky turns green

GoGO Back To Forum