Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and we got there in the end.....

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5535 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and we got there in the end.....

By the end of the game, I had quite enjoyed that. Pre season friendlies allow clubs to try things out, let players gel and suchlike. Just shy of 10,000 fans turned out and witnessed a reasonable game. My main observations are that Sunderland didnae look very good, Hibs are far better when we play two up front and John McGinn has bulked up and got a whole lot better too.

These games always mean lots of changes, the Mackems made 6 changes at half time, we made three all at once at one point, however when we did we looked better, especially the intoduction of the second striker. Coming back from 2-0 down to a team who were in the English Premier League last season is no mean feat, we might even have won it at the end?

It was played in a combatitive manner, especially when Barts and Cattermole started blootering one another and I felt the Black Cats fouled way too much second half.

Star of the day Lewis Stevenson seemed to enjoy the day and I was impressed by the team approach when Lewis was subbed and again when he took the applause from the crowd after the game. There is a real team spirit about Hibernian, I like that.

The Team

Rocky had a couple of smashing saves and looks strong, capable and confident.

David Gray, scorer of the winning goal in the 2016 Scottish Cup Final had a good game, he enjoyed getting up the pitch and the competive approach of the English team.

Darren strolled through the game, he is a rock.

I thought Fonts was wobbly and we improved when young Porteous came on.

Lewis had a smashing game, and enjoyed himself. He linked well with Swanson and then with Boyle when Boyle flipped over. Lewis has been a fine servant to Hibernian and I hope he stays with us the rest of his career, a real professional and absolute gem of a man.

Super John was Hibs best player, first half and especially second. His looks physically stronger and was very hungry. His pass for the equaliser was an inch perfect 40 yarder. I think it was his pass that found Boyler for the first too? I love John.

Dylan played well in parts, although he took an early sore one.

Barts had little to do first half but enjoyed his second half as he went to war with Lee Cattermole. He was quickly subbed before he killed the nippy mackem.

Boyler played wide and had some decent moves, scoring a good driven goal coming in from the left.

I was a bit disappointed with Swanson, he never looked fit and I am not sure he is a wide man. Some good interplay from him though.

Simon Murray played most of the game up alone and was a menace, I really like the big lad. When we put Graham on it gave more for Simon to work with and he scored his first goal for Hibs following the aforementioned 40 yard SJM pass to Gray who stuck in a good cross to tap into the net.

Subs, well where do we begin?

I think the first three were as follows:

Pennant for Swanson. He is ok, but he cannae cross a ball, no much use when you are a winger? Still not convinced?

Fraser Murray for Dylan. Fraser is a future star I think, left wing last Thursday, centre mid today. very decent young player.

Porteous for Fontaine, as I said above, Hibs looked stronger when the big laddie came on. Looks like another 'class defender'.

Dunsmore cameon from Gray and done fine.

Graham replaced Barts after Barts and Cattermole starting blootering each other. Graham done ok, he mixed it up.

Ollie Shaw replaced Simon Murray and nearly got himself a goal. Once he bulks up, I think Ollie will be a handful.

Finally Calum Crane replaced hero of the day, Lewis Stevenson. Lewis was given a standing ovation from both sets of fans and players. Calum slots in comfortably.

Neil and Gary are clearly still tinkering. I dont like the single striker thing, we did not look threatening enough. When we went to two up front, Sunderland could barely contain us. Worth considering guys.

I didnt think much of Sunderland, they might have a long hard season ahead of them. Well done the near 1000 Black cats who came up the road, pity you spoiled it a little singing that song about the Gracious Queen, no idea what Quentin Crisp has to do with fitba?

The Referee managed the game well.

Other points of interest, well done both sets of fans for the immaculately observed minutes applause for young Bradley Lowery. Rest in Peace little man.

Also the half time penalties starring Hendo, Stokesy, Sparky and Ian Murray. Sparky scored 2, Nid 1 and the other two none. Just make sure the first three sign their new contracts with us before you let them out the ground Hibs.

Hibs best player was Super John, he was immense. Man of the Match was Lewis Stevenson, the man with two cup winning medals is Mr Hibs.

I enjoyed that, and we can see we have a lean squad and need a few more players in.

I will now hand over the Just Backs to my pal SKII as I head off to the sun with Mrs 1875. See you at Alloa in a few weeks.

Hibernian Forever!
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2459 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers Mark! Enjoy yer holibobs👍🇳🇬

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5535 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hoping she's not Pre menstrual either.........

Brown noser

Cheers
    This is going badly astray here.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agree with most of that, but thought Bartley was a weak link in midfield It was Scott Martin who came on for Gray

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Think Bartley will be a big player for us this season. In the past we had welts like Ian Black bullying our midfield, not anymore with the Bartman. Changed days.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good report as per usual Mark...
    But-Sunderland made 11 changes at halftime no 6.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5535 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    Agree with most of that, but thought Bartley was a weak link in midfield It was Scott Martin who came on for Gray
    It did get messy.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5535 Post(s)
    vCash
    yep, i'm happy to retract and apologise....no more to say about it, other than I voiced an opinion which was met with condescension.
    Works two ways Mark..Admin or not.

cheers
    It wasn't condescention, I was trying to be light hearted. I'll remember the next time.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4571 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Good report as per usual Mark...
    But-Sunderland made 11 changes at halftime no 6.
    Yep, half their subs were not even named on the team sheet, Catterwaller included.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    Think Bartley will be a big player for us this season. In the past we had welts like Ian Black bullying our midfield, not anymore with the Bartman. Changed days.
    Bartley wasn't good today, though. Took him 70 mins to get going...
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2459 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hoping she's not Pre menstrual either.........

Brown noser

Cheers
    Aye fud
    Cheers

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thought we were ok but can see we are only a couple games into preseason, seem to have a decent amount of youngsters on the fringe for this season all that could do a job if needed. Like the versatility young Martin and Murray

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report as always, Mark, appreciated. An interesting and breezy read. look forward to the Just Backs in the new season.

Over to the other lad to show his mettle now.

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Bouncers might appreciate a couple of pics from today.20170709_155542.jpg20170709_145644.jpg20170709_155510.jpg20170709_155506.jpg

I found it very emotional at the end with raptures of Sunshine on Leith. Overall I found the match enjoyable though at one point I thought Sunderland were going to overwhelm us.

I saw my stone for the first time. Well impressed.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    Not one for pre-season games, but I enjoyed the match today. A good tribute to a fine Hibs legend..I reckon if the game had been played mid-season we would have had at least another 3000 on the gate. Never mind, the applause and tributes were all well deserved for the wee man. Good to see Ian Murray, Stokesy, Hendo and Super Leigh on the pitch at half-time.

A typical early pre-season testimonial/friendly. Can't really take anything from it as both teams were still trying to build up match fitness. I thought Hibs played some nice stuff however with only Simon Murray up front against some class defenders it was always going to be tough for Hibs to get through them. Has to be remembered that this team we were playing today were playing in the English Premiership last season and therefore most of their players are a class above ours and most other teams in the SPL. Both Sunderland goals were superb moves and clinical finishing but Hibs came back really well with Super John McGinn pulling the strings. Two good goals from two of our best performers Martin Boyle and the tireless Simon Murray whom I think will be an excellent signing for us. I actually thought Danny Swanson had some lovely touches and played quite well but I agree with 1875 that he should not be played wide left...hopefully we still have to bring in the player who can play there. Jermaine Pennant I thought done quite well and you can see he is an intelligent footballer who has played at a high level. I will trust Lennon's experience and judgement as to whether or not he merits a contract offer. Overall, some good individual performances from Hibs players against tough opposition.

The big positive of the day for me was the performance of our young players when they came on. Sunderland changed their entire eleven for the second half so they were all going to be fresh into the fray, whereas we made our changes piecemeal in the second half. Really impressed with Scott Martin at right-back, Porteous in central defence and Fraser Murray in midfield. Oli Shaw tried hard against a class of defender way above what he will ever have played against before and done well, and was very unlucky not to score near the end...as was Brian Graham.

Good work out and a great tribute to Lewis. We all know we are at least five players short for the squad and this will hopefully be addressed ver soon. My concerns are John McGinn (we have to keep him for this season), Paul Hanlon..(not convinced things are as hunky dory with his fitness as was being made out in the media a few weeks ago)..and no sign of Efe Ambrose.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    I thought Bouncers might appreciate a couple of pics from today.20170709_155542.jpg20170709_145644.jpg20170709_155510.jpg20170709_155506.jpg

I found it very emotional at the end with raptures of Sunshine on Leith. Overall I found the match enjoyable though at one point I thought Sunderland were going to overwhelm us.

I saw my stone for the first time. Well impressed.
    Not showing for me?

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6631 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Not showing for me?
    Nor me. Errors in the link or summit.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4206 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers 18. Enjoy your holiday.
    Space to let

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    I enjoyed the game, had a bit of grit to it...
    The ball to Gray, I actually thought it was big Daz who played it to Gray, and Grays control on the move was really top class, then great delivery into the box fot murray top drawer as well.
    Have to say Porteous old school rock hard challenge was superb, although he limped a bit after it

GoGO Back To Forum