Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 72

Thread: Our squad as it stands.

  1. #1
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396

    Our squad as it stands.

    Just took a look at our squad and it's pretty bare bones. Preseason training is round the corner and our next match is less than two weeks away. I keep hearing there's no rush, but there is. If Marciano signs we are okay in the GK department. Defense is pretty solid, but midfield and up front is bare bones thin. We have an injury prone McGeouch, Bartley, Boyle and Swanson. We still have McGinn, but there's a big possibility he'll leave. Up front it's even worse. Murray and Graham. Right now we are about 8-9 players away from having a similar sized squad from last year, and time is ticking.

    For me I think it's important to try and get players in early. Get most of the group together for preseason and get the team to gel and get to know each other. A solid preseason is vital in today's game. I know the season doesn't start till August, but we have about a month to get a fair few new faces in. I'm hoping we have a few announcements this week.

  2. #2
    Radge Monthly Contributor

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    32
    I totally agree!!!
    We have left things to the last minute before, and because of this we missed out on a striker, and if it was not for JC we would have been FU..ED!!
    I didn't want JC to leave, but he did. I was pleased that was done early, because we would therefor have plenty of time to replace him.
    COME ON HIBS, get your finger out!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Mussel-bound Radge

    Weehibbydrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Honest Toun
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just took a look at our squad and it's pretty bare bones. Preseason training is round the corner and our next match is less than two weeks away. I keep hearing there's no rush, but there is. If Marciano signs we are okay in the GK department. Defense is pretty solid, but midfield and up front is bare bones thin. We have an injury prone McGeouch, Bartley, Boyle and Swanson. We still have McGinn, but there's a big possibility he'll leave. Up front it's even worse. Murray and Graham. Right now we are about 8-9 players away from having a similar sized squad from last year, and time is ticking.

    For me I think it's important to try and get players in early. Get most of the group together for preseason and get the team to gel and get to know each other. A solid preseason is vital in today's game. I know the season doesn't start till August, but we have about a month to get a fair few new faces in. I'm hoping we have a few announcements this week.
    Some youngsters will inevitably join that squad. You missed out Scott Martin, Callum Crane, Fraser Murray, Ryan Porteous and Oli Shaw.
    GGTTH

  4. #4
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some youngsters will inevitably join that squad. You missed out Scott Martin, Callum Crane, Fraser Murray, Ryan Porteous and Oli Shaw.
    Apart from Scott Martin, these are all players that couldn't break in to the team while in the Championship. Still need 8-9 players IMO.

  5. #5
    Mussel-bound Radge

    Weehibbydrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Honest Toun
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apart from Scott Martin, these are all players that couldn't break in to the team while in the Championship. Still need 8-9 players IMO.
    I know. Just trying to buck myself up. The thought of losing Cummings, Keatings, Fyvie and McGinn in one window makes me sad.
    GGTTH

  6. #6
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know. Just trying to buck myself up. The thought of losing Cummings, Keatings, Fyvie and McGinn in one window makes me sad.
    Me too. Legends.

  7. #7
    Justified Radge



    aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montrose Terrace Massive
    Posts
    6,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3410 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2217
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know. Just trying to buck myself up. The thought of losing Cummings, Keatings, Fyvie and McGinn in one window makes me sad.
    Indeed. I was confident about the season 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now, not so much. Not a peep from NL or the club, either.

    As I've said elsewhere, for all those counselling "patience, deals never get done early", it appears WE are happy to SELL players early. Surely there's other clubs would sell to us? I cannot believe we are going to reach the 15th of July in this state. If we do, it's borderline negligence, imo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

  8. #8
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed. I was confident about the season 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now, not so much. Not a peep from NL or the club, either.

    As I've said elsewhere, for all those counselling "patience, deals never get done early", it appears WE are happy to SELL players early. Surely there's other clubs would sell to us? I cannot believe we are going to reach the 15th of July in this state. If we do, it's borderline negligence, imo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm in agreement but I'm going to wait until this time next week before wetting my sheets....

  9. #9
    Radge Donator
    Two Headed Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    817 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    600
    I understand folks nerves, but a lot can change in a fortnight. Cummings and McGinn leaving was always on the cards.

    Things have been positive about here lately, so I think the board and management have earned a wee bit of trust.

  10. #10
    Justified Radge



    aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montrose Terrace Massive
    Posts
    6,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3410 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2217
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in agreement but I'm going to wait until this time next week before wetting my sheets....
    Fair enough, I'll go with that.

    But if we reach next Monday, and a) the McGinn stuff has gathered pace/he's been sold, and b) we have no new faces of sufficient quality, then questions need asked, right?
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

  11. #11
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, I'll go with that.

    But if we reach next Monday, and a) the McGinn stuff has gathered pace/he's been sold, and b) we have no new faces of sufficiient quality, then questions need asked, right?
    Agreed. My concern is that it appears to be taking forever to conclude deals for the likes of Marciano and Whittaker....

  12. #12
    Radge Private Member
    Uncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand folks nerves, but a lot can change in a fortnight. Cummings and McGinn leaving was always on the cards.

    Things have been positive about here lately, so I think the board and management have earned a wee bit of trust.
    Was it? You'd have thought replacements would have been identified and maybe even brought in before they left if that was the case surely?


    Trust is something you find under t'car mi owd lad

  13. #13
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    I'd agree it's a pain in the arse not getting 'known' deals over line. On the other hand it's shows the club is working away and striving to get those first choices the support tends to whinge we don't seem to get!

    I think everyone, including those at the club, would like things done and dusted much quicker.
    Space to let

  14. #14
    Radge Private Member
    Robert Barone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeyhill
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    274
    We're leaving ourselves a hell of a lot to do in this transfer window..bringing in half a dozen new first team players to replace what we've lost or about to lose worries me. They're not just any old players we're replacing they are talismanic players who time and again won us important games.

    Players we're quoted as being interested in don't seem to be signing..yet at least. I'm a little disappointed we haven't planned better tbh and suddenly have half a team to buy. Season starts in just over a month and a motley bunch of loan signings will not cut it.

    Hibs need to show some real intent with their next signing. I hope it's a Lewis Moult or similar with another two or three at that level closely following. I'm beginning to have concerns about our recruitment side tbh.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Radge Private Member

    Green Sleeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In the early days of a better nation
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    175
    We know the sqiad is threadbare. Lennon knows this as does Dempster. Its a stick on certainty theyre not sunning themselves on Musselburgh racecourse thinking lets get started in a few days. They'll be in negotiation with anout a dozen players at least right now and on the phone to agents and managers. We can expect a barrowload of signings revealed over the next two weeks. Its whether theyre any good or not that matters. That its taking so long suggests we're in for decent first team players rather than make up the squad numbers, although we may need a few of those too.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2502 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We know the sqiad is threadbare. Lennon knows this as does Dempster. Its a stick on certainty theyre not sunning themselves on Musselburgh racecourse thinking lets get started in a few days. They'll be in negotiation with anout a dozen players at least right now and on the phone to agents and managers. We can expect a barrowload of signings revealed over the next two weeks. Its whether theyre any good or not that matters. That its taking so long suggests we're in for decent first team players rather than make up the squad numbers, although we may need a few of those too.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    My thoughts as well..
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

    John Hughes

  17. #17
    Quite a bit past it radge






    Sir Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6431 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2845
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts as well..
    And me.

  18. #18
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    A lot of contracts expire at the end of June.

    We might not hear much on Friday but let's hope we hear lots next week!
    Space to let

  19. #19
    Radge Private Member

    tricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    standing on the brink of history
    Posts
    5,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1864 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can expect a barrowload of signings revealed over the next two weeks.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hope you are right mate..hoping for a few surprises rather than names getting bandied about.
    until the sky turns green

  20. #20
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6677 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And me.
    And his
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  21. #21
    Justified Radge



    aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montrose Terrace Massive
    Posts
    6,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3410 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2217
    So flat right now. If we are even looking at Jermaine Pennant, for me that's baws. Right now, it feels like standing by watching the cup-winning side being sold or allowed to leave, and we will be replacing them with journeymen has-beens who can't get a deal anywhere else.

    I just feel like we've been here before.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

  22. #22
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138
    What's also important here is what our peers are doing IMO

    And in that regard I'd say -

    Rangers - Would not like to be signing the type of player they are in the market for. Can't think of any occasion where signing a barrel-load of players from a league a million miles from the SPL to build a whole new team in a matter of weeks has ever worked!

    Aberdeen - Lost their best players for peanuts to their biggest rivals. Signed one or two players they would need to sign anyway and still trying to replace their big losses - which will be nigh on impossible.

    Hearts - Squad full of useless lumps they can't shift and their manager(s) aren't trusted

    In comparison none of them are really making any big moves - aside from Stewart at the sheep, would have quite liked him.

    Whittaker, Marciano and Ambrose is a pretty decent start - understand the nerves about more coming but we're certainly not behind.

  23. #23
    Justified Radge



    aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montrose Terrace Massive
    Posts
    6,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3410 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkraz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's also important here is what our peers are doing IMO

    And in that regard I'd say -

    Rangers - Would not like to be signing the type of player they are in the market for. Can't think of any occasion where signing a barrel-load of players from a league a million miles from the SPL to build a whole new team in a matter of weeks has ever worked!

    Aberdeen - Lost their best players for peanuts to their biggest rivals. Signed one or two players they would need to sign anyway and still trying to replace their big losses - which will be nigh on impossible.

    Hearts - Squad full of useless lumps they can't shift and their manager(s) aren't trusted

    In comparison none of them are really making any big moves - aside from Stewart at the sheep, would have quite liked him.

    Whittaker, Marciano and Ambrose is a pretty decent start - understand the nerves about more coming but we're certainly not behind.
    Sheep have got Christie, too. They've addressed their losses in attacking areas with proven quality that will excite the fans.

    And of the three you quote, we've only signed Efe.

    Take your point, nonetheless.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

  24. #24
    Radge Donator
    Two Headed Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    817 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So flat right now. If we are even looking at Jermaine Pennant, for me that's baws. Right now, it feels like standing by watching the cup-winning side being sold or allowed to leave, and we will be replacing them with journeymen has-beens who can't get a deal anywhere else.I just feel like we've been here before.
    Are we doing this though? We've signed Ambrose, Swanson and Murray. 3 decent signings. Marciano looks as good as announced so it's 4 good signings really. On the flip side we have only sold one player, a good player yes, but we've got a wad of cash for him. It's only the 28th of June. I really don't see the point in hitting the panic button because we are looking at a free agent winger when we have no wingers.

  25. #25
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So flat right now. If we are even looking at Jermaine Pennant, for me that's baws. Right now, it feels like standing by watching the cup-winning side being sold or allowed to leave, and we will be replacing them with journeymen has-beens who can't get a deal anywhere else.

    I just feel like we've been here before.
    Agreed. Let's be honest. Every window under Lennon has been $#@!e.

  26. #26
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2502 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we doing this though? We've signed Ambrose, Swanson and Murray. 3 decent signings. Marciano looks as good as announced so it's 4 good signings really. On the flip side we have only sold one player, a good player yes, but we've got a wad of cash for him. It's only the 28th of June. I really don't see the point in hitting the panic button because we are looking at a free agent winger when we have no wingers.
    Spot on...and we are only allowing Pennant training facilities pre-season so we can have a look at him. Really can't see what the harm is in that to be honest.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

    John Hughes

  27. #27
    Rock n' Roll Radge

    HibeeZab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Let's be honest. Every window under Lennon has been $#@!e.
    Lennon inherited a cup winning team, already favourites for the title, that he didn't have to do much to. I wouldn't say the windows have been $#@!e, I'd say they effective if unexciting.

    Summer 2016:
    Marciano - best goalkeeper at the club for years
    Laidlaw - best back up goalkeeper at the club for years
    Shinnie & Holt - both had a positive impact on the team and were regulars, signed for one season only to get us out that league. Job done.
    Graham - signed as a back up, hasn't been great

    January 2017:
    Humphrey - had an immediate impact, had a couple of decent games then got injured.
    We didn't need to sign anyone else in this window

    Emergency Loans:
    Clever business by Lennon & the club, took advantage of a rule others hadn't. Commons short term deal was highly successful, helped us gain vital points. Ambrose came in and was different class, and is now a permanent member of the squad.

    This summer we've brought in one of the highest scoring midfielders in the the Premiership last season, and a forward who scored more goals in the Chsmpionship than the now departed Holt & Kestings combined.

    Cummings is a loss, although there was no guarantee he'd have been as prolific after stepping up a league.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

  28. #28
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Don't have the time to reply in detail to the post above but Humphrey a couple of decent games? He had a decent 20 mins v Dundee Utd and that was it.

  29. #29
    Mussel-bound Radge

    Weehibbydrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Honest Toun
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't have the time to reply in detail to the post above but Humphrey a couple of decent games? He had a decent 20 mins v Dundee Utd and that was it.
    Don't forget his excellent 3 mins in the Gunts replay.
    GGTTH

  30. #30
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    13,000 season tickets sold, well over a million for Jase, a wage bill cut in half and not even a morsel spent. Hibs need to get the finger out. We have zero goal threat and need upgraded all over the place. So far silence from the club.

  31. #31
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    13,000 season tickets sold, well over a million for Jase, a wage bill cut in half and not even a morsel spent. Hibs need to get the finger out. We have zero goal threat and need upgraded all over the place. So far silence from the club.
    Just under 12,000 sold.

  32. #32
    Rock n' Roll Radge

    HibeeZab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't have the time to reply in detail to the post above but Humphrey a couple of decent games? He had a decent 20 mins v Dundee Utd and that was it.
    Aye a couple, the United game & Bonnyrigg Rose. I didn't mean that as an endorsement of Humphrey, just a statement of what he was.

    But Chris Humphrey wasn't really the point of my post, never mind...

  33. #33
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just under 12,000 sold.
    Thought we'd surpassed the 12,000 mark, my mistake. I just never feel the fans get a fair shake when it comes to the club investing in the squad. I only make it to one of two games a year, but still by a season ticket for someone and put money in to the club like most here do. Here's how I see things panning out. John McGinn is sold. We sign one or two quality players, then another one or two average squad players. Then last minute another 2-3 loan players. For me that would be unacceptable. Can say it's negative or whatever, facts are the last two windows were done on the cheap IMO.

  34. #34
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2502 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Let's be honest. Every window under Lennon has been $#@!e.
    We brought in players last summer and in January which helped us to achieve what we had to achieve. I think the 2 windows Lennon has had he has made good use of in that it led to us winning the league by 11 points and coming within a whisker of another SC Final losing unluckily to the second best team in Scotland. He also used last summer's window to convince Jason Cummings to sign a new deal and stay for another year...a move which played a huge part in us winning promotion comfortably.

    This window he needs to bring in players suitable for a completely different challenge which we will be facing next season. That is no easy task but I have complete confidence in the powers that be to get these players in. My only criticism of the manager so far is that he has a tendency to shoot his mouth off to the media such as his claim that we could finish second next season which IMO is unrealistic for any club coming up from the Championship after 3 years. I know why he did it...to try to instil confidence and belief in the players which is admirable, but I just feel it is leaving him open to unwarranted criticism if and when we fail to achieve that goal.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 29-06-17 at 00:40.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

    John Hughes

  35. #35
    Radge Private Member



    EastMeetsWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    995
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    202
    Has the board and management team gone on holiday? Everything has went awfy quiet since they hit I presume the set target for ST's. OK we don't have a barrowload of signing to unveil but some kind of communication as to where we stand would be good. Usually when we sign a player there is a statement form the manager or/and LD but the Marciano signing only has interviews from himself no club statement or welcoming message.

  36. #36
    get off yer bum an sing radge


    Davy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2208 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has the board and management team gone on holiday? Everything has went awfy quiet since they hit I presume the set target for ST's. OK we don't have a barrowload of signing to unveil but some kind of communication as to where we stand would be good. Usually when we sign a player there is a statement form the manager or/and LD but the Marciano signing only has interviews from himself no club statement or welcoming message.
    could be leanne takes her whole 4 weeks holiday in June as difficult during footie season...would expect someone to be around who has the authority to negotiate though

  37. #37
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    could be leanne takes her whole 4 weeks holiday in June as difficult during footie season...would expect someone to be around who has the authority to negotiate though
    I'd expect things to be progressing and for Leeann to keep her phone on!
    Space to let

  38. #38
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    Another week gone and still 8-9 players short. It's a joke IMO. Preseason training sets the tone for the whole season.

  39. #39
    Administrator


    SKII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    16,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4718 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2944
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another week gone and still 8-9 players short. It's a joke IMO. Preseason training sets the tone for the whole season.
    No we're not. We're lacking options in key positions but that isn't 8/9 players worth.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

  40. #40
    Rock n' Roll Radge

    HibeeZab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another week gone and still 8-9 players short. It's a joke IMO. Preseason training sets the tone for the whole season.
    You're dreaming if you think Hibs will sign another 9 players this window. I think we need another 4 (two strikers, a winger & a central midfielder).
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

  41. #41
    American Fitba' Radge

    The Hibby Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Strathaven
    Posts
    3,208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeZab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're dreaming if you think Hibs will sign another 9 players this window. I think we need another 4 (two strikers, a winger & a central midfielder).
    I think we need cover at full back (both) as well.

  42. #42
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2502 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1088
    [QUOTE=HibeeZab;1582629]You're dreaming if you think Hibs will sign another 9 players this window. I think we need another 4 (two strikers, a winger & a central midfielder).[/QUOTE]

    That's my thinking as well....plus Whittaker to cover both full-back positions and possibly even right midfield. That's all assuming we keep John McGinn who would definitely have to be replaced if he was sold.
    Lennon stated not long after the end of last season that he was looking for more goals from midfield. Swanson's welcome signing was certainly an attempt to address that long running problem but I can see another midfielder arriving who has an eye for goal, possibly to play in the Shinnie role just behind the strikers. Wouldn't be surprised to see a move for the likes of Tony Andreu or Craig Sibbald. Henderson would be a great move and would certainly lift the fans, however much as I like and admire the guy as a player he didn't offer a big goal threat from midfield when he was here before. I do think we lack a bit of experience in midfield so he may be looking for that kind of player. Just have a feeling Lennon will be looking to change the dynamic of our midfield in order for it to support the strikers better and offer a better goal threat. It will be an interesting few weeks ahead that's for sure.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

    John Hughes

  43. #43
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    So far we have lost, Cummings, Fyvie, Keatings, Holt, Shinnie, Harris, Stanton, Humphries, and now Forster. Fringe players like Insall also left. Lennon came out and said during the December transfer window that he needed more players and the club didn't bring any more in. That's a fact right there. So going by what Lennon wanted and looking at our squad, I still feel we need 8-9 players.

  44. #44
    Radge Private Member

    tricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    standing on the brink of history
    Posts
    5,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1864 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So far we have lost, Cummings, Fyvie, Keatings, Holt, Shinnie, Harris, Stanton, Humphries, and now Forster. Fringe players like Insall also left. Lennon came out and said during the December transfer window that he needed more players and the club didn't bring any more in. That's a fact right there. So going by what Lennon wanted and looking at our squad, I still feel we need 8-9 players.
    how many games did Harris, Stanton, Humphries and Forster start between them last season though? 10 maybe.

    Fyvie and Cummings only two I'm bothered about from that list others won't be missed.
    until the sky turns green

  45. #45
    American Fitba' Radge

    The Hibby Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Strathaven
    Posts
    3,208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So far we have lost, Cummings, Fyvie, Keatings, Holt, Shinnie, Harris, Stanton, Humphries, and now Forster. Fringe players like Insall also left. Lennon came out and said during the December transfer window that he needed more players and the club didn't bring any more in. That's a fact right there. So going by what Lennon wanted and looking at our squad, I still feel we need 8-9 players.
    Shinnie was a loanee who went back to his parent club. Stanton is still at ER I believe.
    Four regular first team squad members out, two in so far.
    The fringe players will be replaced by youth players moving up.
    I reckon three more new faces is probably as much as we're likely to see.

  46. #46
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1514 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    I think at a minimum we need four players in the midfield. As it stands we have four players good enough to play in the SPL. McGinn, Bartley, Boyle and Swanson. Yep we have Dylan but who knows how many games your getting out of him. I'd like to see a winger and three more midfielders. Up front at minimum we need two more players. At the back we are pretty solid, but would be nice to have cover for the fullbacks. Now if McGinn is sold that really leaves us in the $#@!.

  47. #47
    Administrator


    SKII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    16,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4718 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2944
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how many games did Harris, Stanton, Humphries and Forster start between them last season though? 10 maybe.Fyvie and Cummings only two I'm bothered about from that list others won't be missed.
    Exactly.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

  48. #48
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how many games did Harris, Stanton, Humphries and Forster start between them last season though? 10 maybe.

    Fyvie and Cummings only two I'm bothered about from that list others won't be missed.
    And I suspect most of these games were after the league was sown up.
    Space to let

  49. #49
    Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    EA2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    726 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1016
    Mackay-Steven and Henderson in. McGinn out (loaned back potentially). Source? .net poster with previous.
    Whittaker to offer full back cover and midfield.

    Two forwards.

    Probably as good as it will get?

  50. #50
    Radge Donator
    Zellviren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Limburg province, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    877 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1372
    Quote Originally Posted by EA2007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mackay-Steven and Henderson in. McGinn out (loaned back potentially). Source? .net poster with previous.
    Whittaker to offer full back cover and midfield.

    Two forwards.

    Probably as good as it will get?
    That reads like a wish-list more than a prediction.

    And... I'm not sure how many players short we are, I'm really not. I accept the point that Forster, Harris, Stanton et al barely featured for us, but they did provide cover in a league where the standard was low. I've said it many times; teams don't have successful seasons. Squads do. Someone mentioned above (I forget who, my apologies) that fringe players will be replaced by youngsters, and I agree, but it's the wrong approach in my opinion. We're woefully short of cover in lots of positions, we still lack balance across the midfield, and we've nothing up front.

    At all.

    I said at the tail end of last season that I was worried this window would be difficult because we did nothing in the previous two (Lennon's pair). Lo and behold, here we are, and we've barely strengthened at all; Marciano and Ambrose are good signings, but we already had them. They're not new faces or adding to our general standard, they're just allowing us to tread water. We've options across the midfield, but I worry about the standard of some players and we need to accept the reality of McGeouch's fitness and McGinn's probable departure. This merely adds to the chronic shortage of firepower we already have to contend with by having no forward line whatsoever.

    If we sign Steven Whittaker, which is still an "if" for me, then I think we're extremely strong defensively and there's good cover for all positions.

    But I'm horribly worried about Hibs going forward.

    Teams that struggle to score goals tend to be relegated, or at least be part of the shake-up at the wrong end of the table. The club has built a lot of goodwill over the last two years with a long-suffering fanbase that, once again, has shown an extraordinary amount of faith in the club with ticket and merchandise sales for the upcoming season. Scratching a draw at Parkhead or Pittodrie will feel much less successful when supporters are watching the team struggle to beat Ross County, Kilmarnock and Motherwell at home because we can't put the ball in the onion basket. And if the stress levels go up thanks to merely keeping our head above the relegation waterline, fans will likely respond by remembering the terminal decline that relegated us - bad transfer business.

    They may then potentially conclude that nothing has really been learned, and refuse to make the same commitment next year just to watch the same struggle that we're all so brutally familiar with.

    I'd love to eat these words, as I've had to in the past, but I'm seriously worried about this season as things stand.

    From middle to front, particularly if McGinn departs, we're nowhere near good enough.

    Another week cannot pass without some decent business.

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Darling of the red torys stands down ...
    By Jack in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-14, 18:07
  2. Hibs Squad as it stands
    By 1875 in forum General Hibs Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-07-14, 22:24
  3. we need all three stands...
    By crash-hibs in forum General Hibs Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-08-10, 09:37
  4. FF(north) and South stands
    By Braehead Cabbage in forum General Hibs Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-07-10, 11:04
  5. As it stands
    By wee 162 in forum General Hibs Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19-06-07, 23:51

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •