Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    vCash

Thinking 'Pathetic' start cost Hibs - Lennon

Boss Neil Lennon criticises Hibernian for a "pathetic" start to their Scottish Cup semi-final, which they lost 3-2 to Aberdeen.

More...

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    Lennons team was wrong, as many have said and seen Batley and Fyvie in the same team is a no no.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    He is right to insist on better than that first 30 mins. Hopefully he can now go out and make a few signings who will bring a bit of consistency and drive. Ferw of us liked that Hearts supporters expect their team to win while we often seemed happy with a good performance. Credit to the players though for getting their act together after going down

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2463 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agree with Lennon 100%.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6487 Post(s)
    vCash
    Winners mentality. Take note...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4606 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think what we got in this post match press chat is him already putting down his marker for next season re expectations. Glorious failure is not going to be an option. Anyone in the squad happy to settle for it (and we've bemoaned this over the last decade) will be left in no doubt...and maybe not survive the cut.

In some ways, being able to prepare now, being able to give the players a decent break after the longest of all seasons and shortest of close season last year, is probably what we need if we want to hit the ground running from the first game we play...
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think what we got in this post match press chat is him already putting down his marker for next season re expectations. Glorious failure is not going to be an option. Anyone in the squad happy to settle for it (and we've bemoaned this over the last decade) will be left in no doubt...and maybe not survive the cut.

In some ways, being able to prepare now, being able to give the players a decent break after the longest of all seasons and shortest of close season last year, is probably what we need if we want to hit the ground running from the first game we play...
    Yup.

When we played our game we were decent.

But we were bossed. They won virtually every header, they were first to every second ball, they pushed, shoved and bullied us every opportunity. They double teamed our player on the ball and every now and then I checked to make sure there was only 11 of them!

We've had it pretty easy this season in comparison. We have been in control, dominating possession and the pace of games. After too many seasons in this league with our 'class' we've become lazy.

I fear a wee bit for the first couple of months of the new season till we catch the pace and guile of the top league.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yup.

But we were bossed. They won virtually every header, they were first to every second ball, they pushed, shoved and bullied us every opportunity. They double teamed our player on the ball and every now and then I checked to make sure there was only 11 of them!

We've had it pretty easy this season in comparison. We have been in control, dominating possession and the pace of games. After too many seasons in this league with our 'class' we've become lazy.

I fear a wee bit for the first couple of months of the new season till we catch the pace and guile of the top league.
    I agree - this is a more through analysis of what I was getting at in my post on the just back thread. Aberdeen were strikingly faster in their play than we have become used to. I suspect they're well ahead of many in the top flight, which is reflected in their position. But we need to be ready to compete at a much higher tempo and with a lot less time on the ball. It's a bit scarey to think what Celtic may have done in that first half hour.

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash
    Lennon is livid in his interview; rightly so up to a point. But he shouldn't have tried to play Barts with Fyvie. I was late arriving but, as soon as I walked in, I noticed we were struggling with the pace of Aberdeen. Had Aberdeen a bit more skill to go with it we might have been in real trouble. Their second goal was almost surreal. I hate going in the east stand, not just because of the sh*te view but because of the behaviour of a minority. Guys I love a drink, but please.... dinnae swear in front of wee lassies, ok?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2463 Post(s)
    vCash
    Yup.

I agree with most of that...however IMO it was only the first 30 minutes or so that we were really bossed. I certainly agree that 3 years in the Championship has given us a bit of a false sense of just how good a team we actually are. We have some very good players and a decent spine, but we need some quality additions to compete properly at the top end. Swanson is a good step in the right direction.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    I agree with most of that...however IMO it was only the first 30 minutes or so that we were really bossed. I certainly agree that 3 years in the Championship has given us a bit of a false sense of just how good a team we actually are. We have some very good players and a decent spine, but we need some quality additions to compete properly at the top end. Swanson is a good step in the right direction.
    Oh aye, the first 30 minutes we were Easter Road bunnies caught in the headlights. While we caughtened on to what they were up to our guys didn't get a split second to think on the ball but in my opinion it was all 90 minutes, whereas in our other games they could have had a leisurely cup o' tea while we made up our minds!

I don't think the top league games will all be like that. After all Aberdeen aren't a distant second and a league apart from us for nothing. Even their wee skinny runts were bullying our big boys off the ball and beating them in the air! Could the wee $#@!ers fly???? It sometimes felt like that.

We have a better than decent core to our squad, if we can keep it, but even they are going to have to get used to a different type of game. And I'm sure they can as periods of our play showed.

I'm quite positive for next season but today was a bit of a lesson.
    Space to let

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4658 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jock3 View Post
    Lennon is livid in his interview; rightly so up to a point. But he shouldn't have tried to play Barts with Fyvie. I was late arriving but, as soon as I walked in, I noticed we were struggling with the pace of Aberdeen. Had Aberdeen a bit more skill to go with it we might have been in real trouble. Their second goal was almost surreal. I hate going in the east stand, not just because of the sh*te view but because of the behaviour of a minority. Guys I love a drink, but please.... dinnae swear in front of wee lassies, ok?
    The wee lassies probably know more swear words than the guys.

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    Oh aye, the first 30 minutes we were Easter Road bunnies caught in the headlights. While we caughtened on to what they were up to our guys didn't get a split second to think on the ball but in my opinion it was all 90 minutes, whereas in our other games they could have had a leisurely cup o' tea while we made up our minds!

I don't think the top league games will all be like that. After all Aberdeen aren't a distant second and a league apart from us for nothing. Even their wee skinny runts were bullying our big boys off the ball and beating them in the air! Could the wee $#@!ers fly???? It sometimes felt like that.

We have a better than decent core to our squad, if we can keep it, but even they are going to have to get used to a different type of game. And I'm sure they can as periods of our play showed.

I'm quite positive for next season but today was a bit of a lesson.
    Cant agree it was for 90 minutes jack.
    A perfect example being our equaliser, great goal which ripped the dons apart.
    The minute Holt came on and scored, could virtually see the dons mindset change, and then we were by far the better side imo
    GGTTH

GoGO Back To Forum