Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: when will hibs win the title...

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saturday 15th April 2017

22 37.93%
  • Saturday 22nd April 2017

15 25.86%
  • Wednesday 26th April 2017

17 29.31%
  • Saturday 29th April 2017

2 3.45%
  • Saturday 6th May 2017

2 3.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when will hibs win the title

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Smurf I was of course being tongue in cheek in an attempt to illustrate what I think is daft in your own contention. Of course it doesn't compare to the SC win - indeed I'm not sure winning the top flight would match that euphoria even though it would be a far greater achievement.

However it will mark:

- our club cheating a living death by getting out of this division just ahead of an inevitable need to downsize fundamentally
    - marks the completion of our revival , which the SC symbolises; after 30 years of underinvestment, under achievement and humiliation culminated in the the nadir of relegation
    - sees us return to where we belong well positioned to be the third most successful side in the country for many years to come if we get our $#@! together
    - is, however unglamorous, a league won, when we failed to win it with better squads in easier leagues (as I believe last season definitely was and probably the season before also).

Reasons enough that you'll have to scrape me off the ceiling - even if
    I don't spiral up a lot further than that as at hampem
    We sit on cusp of something exciting next season. Our goal has to be a top 3 finish and European football. When you have the nucleus of a decent team there is no time anymore to consolidate as the quality will be sucked doon the M8 or into the English Championship. We either go for it full pelt next season or we go backwards.

This will be the biggest test of the club's ambition in a long time. In the old Petrie days the club would limp along hoping for top 6 at best. Suspect/hope Dempster wont be satisfied with that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Hibee Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    vCash
    The Scottish cup win eased the pain and a good bit more, but when we win this league I personally will celebrate quietly and my inner self will be saying thank feck, now bring on the future for us and our future generations. GGTTH

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    vCash
    I will be drinking 10 pints out of sheer relief.
    GGTTH

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6480 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    I will be drinking 10 pints out of sheer relief.
    Captures exactly my emotions.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm with Smurf on this one - I'll maybe have a quiet drink to acknowledge the success, and I'll certainly applaud the players who have returned my club to the top tier, but I won't be getting another tattoo to mark the occasion.

All right then, maybe a few quiet drinks then.

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    We sit on cusp of something exciting next season. Our goal has to be a top 3 finish and European football. When you have the nucleus of a decent team there is no time anymore to consolidate as the quality will be sucked doon the M8 or into the English Championship. We either go for it full pelt next season or we go backwards. This will be the biggest test of the club's ambition in a long time. In the old Petrie days the club would limp along hoping for top 6 at best. Suspect/hope Dempster wont be satisfied with that.Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Whilst I appreciate you have to be ambitious, I also think there has to be a measure of realism. I never believed we would 'skoosh this league' and I don't believe we will finish in the top 3. Apart from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and even Partick would have to be overcome. If we finish top six next season I shall be pleased. Hopefully, we could then move on with better players. It would be great to be proven wrong, but I am also doubtful that the board will produce the necessary funds to improve our team significantly. They never have before, so why now?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4382 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think it was for sure an easier league last year. Points in the sevco games were evenly shared, so effectively neutral in the reckoning. The rest of the league was significantly poorer I think. Less sure about the season before - but sevco were $#@!e and an average hearts team that we had the better of, absolutely romped it; I don't think they'd romp this league.
    A league containing Rangers- in any form- is harder to win. I think one of our wins over them was after they had won the league? That does make a difference. Falkirk last season were better than they are this season too.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I completely disagree. The Hibs team of two seasons ago or last season IMHO would have won this league by now. And I think that Gunts side from then would beat us today.
    Start with last season - which of our opponents do you believe are weaker now compared to last season? Compare the ones that got promoted with those they replaced.

I'd say the answer is none, except perhaps raith, and many are considerably stronger. I'm actually not sure raith are weaker versus not coping with everyone else being stronger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    A league containing Rangers- in any form- is harder to win. I think one of our wins over them was after they had won the league? That does make a difference. Falkirk last season were better than they are this season too.
    If you exclude that petrofac pish, we pumped sevco 7 wins to 3 over those two seasons. That's unprecedented I imagine. They were pony and in our pocket. What they did better than us was pump the smaller teams in a weaker league - again they'd not be running over many teams this year.

I don't see a much difference in Falkirk.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6480 Post(s)
    vCash
    Start with last season - which of our opponents do you believe are weaker now compared to last season? Compare the ones that got promoted with those they replaced.

I'd say the answer is none, except perhaps raith, and many are considerably stronger. I'm actually not sure raith are weaker versus not coping with everyone else being stronger.
    I don't think there's much at all between all the teams. We are better than the rest but I think we've underachieved as admitted to by Neil Lennon.

So I don't think any team is better being honest. I just think it has been a more level playing field.

Dundee Utd/Falkirk/Morton are likely in the play-offs and Hibs last season and the season before were much stronger than them.

- - - Updated - - -

What they did better than us was pump the smaller teams in a weaker league - again they'd not be running over many teams this year.
    So two years ago Gunts pumped consistently because the league was poor and last year Huns pumped consistently because the league was poor.

Hibs don't pump consistently this season because all the other sides have improved dramatically?

Not buying it M.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I don't think there's much at all between all the teams. We are better than the rest but I think we've underachieved as admitted to by Neil Lennon.

So I don't think any team is better being honest. I just think it has been a more level playing field.

Dundee Utd/Falkirk/Morton are likely in the play-offs and Hibs last season and the season before were much stronger than them.
    Ok - Falkirk, unchanged
    Dundee united - no as good as sevco
    Morton - much better
    QotS - better
    Dunfy - 100 times better than livi
    Dumbarton - better
    St mirren - much better in second half of the season at least
    Raith - probably worse
    Ayr United - far better than Alloa

I thinks it's a more level playing field cos their are fewer punch bags, making it a tougher league

- - - Updated - - -

Hearts and sevco would find it harder going this year I am pretty sure. Which is not to take away from Hibs shortcomings. In last two years we had the better of huns by far and by hearts. We didn't perform as well because of our old mental weaknesses elsewhere. Those improved under Stubbs and have improved some more under Lennon. Our main problem now is a failing throughout, inability to score.

In short; would this team have won in 15 or 16...probably not, for the goal scoring reason, but we'd have accumulated more points than we will do in this league. Meanwhile I'm not convinced the team from either of last two years would have done any better this term - they wouldn't be scoring either. I think southfield is right they'd win more and lose more but I'm not sure that would have equated to more overall and can easily envisage a fatal collapse or failure to turn up for the results which psychologically broke Dundee united, done for Morton and Falkirk. Nor am I sure a slow start would have allowed any way back this year .

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)
    vCash
    Don't know how many players were signed by other clubs but I think all the teams in the league have better standard of players with all the money playing US the Huns and the scum over the road ,they had 3 years of money from sell outs usually not there.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    When we do win the league (hopefully on Saturday) I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Not a time for celebration IMO. The three years we have been down in this league have for me been an absolute grind. An embarrassment that a club as great and as coveted in the Scottish game as Hibs have had to endure the ignominy of playing in the Scottish Championship after a hugely avoidable and disasterous relegation in 2014. The Scottish Cup win has been the obvious shining jewel of our period down here and it was a truly fabulous achievement one of the greatest in the club's entire history...we have in many ways seen a re-birth of the club and now at long, long last we are starting to see the rich potential Hibs have always had come to fruition. Crowds at a level not seen since the early 70's, record season ticket sales, a long way towards fan ownership, a magnificent fully completed stadium owned by Hibs...the best football stadium in Scotland outside Glasgow in my opinion.

Relegation was not meant to happen....bringing in a CEO and changing the entire footballing support structure including the revamped Youth Academy was all arranged months before relegation with a view to Hibs still being a top flight club. We have been held back and hamstrung in this league. Once we are back up I predict Hibs will be the biggest challengers to the OF within a couple of years. It will take that long because the club first of all has to re-establish itself as a competitive top six outfit again...then move onwards and upwards. I'm just happy we are now about to play our final few matches of this league hopefully forever. A club like Hibs should never be anywhere near relegation.

Let's just get three points on Saturday just now though....
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 13-04-17 at 01:07.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Coffee Shop Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    When we do win the league (hopefully on Saturday) I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Not a time for celebration IMO. The three years we have been down in this league have for me been an absolute grind. An embarrassment that a club as great and as coveted in the Scottish game as Hibs are have had to endure the ignominy of playing in the Scottish Championship after a hugely avoidable and disasterous relegation in 2014. The Scottish Cup win has been the obvious shining jewel of our period down here and it was a truly fabulous achievement one of the greatest in the club's entire history...we have in many ways seen a re-birth of the club and now at long, long last we are starting to see the rich potential Hibs have always had come to fruition. Crowds at a level not seen since the early 70's, record season ticket sales, a long way towards fan ownership, a magnificent fully completed stadium owned by Hibs...the best football stadium in Scotland outside Glasgow in my opinion.

Relegation was not meant to happen....bringing in a CEO and changing the entire footballing support structure including the revamped Youth Academy was all arranged months before relegation with a view to Hibs still being a top flight club. We have been held back and hamstrung in this league. Once we are back up I predict Hibs will be the biggest challengers to the OF within a couple of years. It will take that long because the club first of all has to re-establish itself as a competitive top six outfit again...then move onwards and upwards. I'm just happy we are now about to play our final few matches of this league hopefully forever. A club like Hibs should never be anywhere near relegation.

As someone who thinks your posts are often on the mark - be they over green-tinged or not - I am delighted to see you post this.

It has pained me a lot the last few years as an expat and a Hibbie to see the absolute depths we have sunk to at times, esp when I think back on gettin Pat Stanton's autograph at a wet bus-stop on a late sixties after the latest top performance against a top team, in Scotland or Europe.

So how much would I not love it if what you suggest comes true. The real fans of Hibs deserve that, the punters who have been to so many games with hope rather than confidence, home and away, the sound at away games on the radio that I have heard has been nowt short of amazing. Even for the Pat Fenlon team. Even for effin TB.

And I like to think back to the chance I got through this site to re-connect with Hibs in the later years, me along with plenty others. Hopefully adds tto the general moral support for the team. Like a monk wi' a green stone coat on I just cannae shake the Hibs habit. Aargh.
    Fúckin clubs are fúckin dull the fúckin pubs are fúckin full
    Of fúckin girls and fúckin guys with fúckin murder in their eyes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4204 Post(s)
    vCash
    I've avoided this thread up till now, superstition or some other crap excuse. I'm with those who will just be thankful to get out this league and the ignominy it brought upon the club. I'll still get pished though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Whilst I appreciate you have to be ambitious, I also think there has to be a measure of realism. I never believed we would 'skoosh this league' and I don't believe we will finish in the top 3. Apart from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and even Partick would have to be overcome. If we finish top six next season I shall be pleased. Hopefully, we could then move on with better players. It would be great to be proven wrong, but I am also doubtful that the board will produce the necessary funds to improve our team significantly. They never have before, so why now?
    Every time someone writes what you've put in that last sentence I've gone into the detail of Whatshisname going to celtc and Dylan, SJM and Henderson delivered from the income as well as a couple of other wee bits and bobs.

So they have before and it was the Dempster Revolution what done it. No reason to believe the Dempster Revolution won't continue, indeed I believe things will get better. See below.

When we do win the league (hopefully on Saturday) I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Not a time for celebration IMO. The three years we have been down in this league have for me been an absolute grind. An embarrassment that a club as great and as coveted in the Scottish game as Hibs have had to endure the ignominy of playing in the Scottish Championship after a hugely avoidable and disasterous relegation in 2014. The Scottish Cup win has been the obvious shining jewel of our period down here and it was a truly fabulous achievement one of the greatest in the club's entire history...we have in many ways seen a re-birth of the club and now at long, long last we are starting to see the rich potential Hibs have always had come to fruition. Crowds at a level not seen since the early 70's, record season ticket sales, a long way towards fan ownership, a magnificent fully completed stadium owned by Hibs...the best football stadium in Scotland outside Glasgow in my opinion.

Much of that could have been written by Leeann Dempster when she first came to Hibs. Maybe she's hacked your account, or maybe ... is that you Leeann?

I remember you, I mean her saying how frustrated she had been by our relegation and then at our failure to get promoted delaying "the vision".

She seems to have great plans she was very passionate about and it was because of Hibs stature and place in the community that made coming to Hibs very exciting, although she never went into detail.

These plans could only really happen in the top league on the back of a successful team on the pitch.

I only hope she remembers. It's been a long time.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4382 Post(s)
    vCash

Good post and agree mostly with you. I've not found the 3 seasons in this league as much of a grind as others. I've enjoyed the away trips to places ( excluding Dumbarton, that's a cowp) we usually wouldn't see. If offered a trip to Killie or Raith, I'd opt for Raith. A few other places I've liked too. Even Alloa had it's charm.But this 3 year odyssey has whet the appetite for going back to Motherwell and Dens and Dingwall.

I do agree with you that of we work hard we could establish ourselves as the main contenders for 3rd spot. Hearts financial prospects look constrained, Aberdeen- if they move- have to fund that too. We've got everything in place...the stadium,training facilities, managed debt,fan ownership model, good board, a manager with the right mentality ( even if i don't like him) all there. We do need to invest heavily in the team though. All of these additional parts make no difference if the team is average.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2458 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    I'm with Smurf on this one - I'll maybe have a quiet drink to acknowledge the success, and I'll certainly applaud the players who have returned my club to the top tier, but I won't be getting another tattoo to mark the occasion.

All right then, maybe a few quiet drinks then.
    Was there ever pics of said tattoo Doc? Seem tae remember you saying you would put up a pic????

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4645 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Was there ever pics of said tattoo Doc? Seem tae remember you saying you would put up a pic????
    Just what I was thinking.............

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    There is no pic in existence so far.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    vCash
    Mmmm

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash
    To paraphrase yourself on many occasions: this thread is pointless without pictures.

Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1768 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Good post and agree mostly with you. I've not found the 3 seasons in this league as much of a grind as others. I've enjoyed the away trips to places ( excluding Dumbarton, that's a cowp) we usually wouldn't see. If offered a trip to Killie or Raith, I'd opt for Raith. A few other places I've liked too. Even Alloa had it's charm.But this 3 year odyssey has whet the appetite for going back to Motherwell and Dens and Dingwall.
    awaydays have been excellent in this league ( apart from Dumbarton ) but then home games have usually been fairly dull..

not buying egb's contention that the league is harder to win this year, we could conceivably win it with 16-18 wins out of 36, Hertz / Huns probably won 25+ games
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    awaydays have been excellent in this league ( apart from Dumbarton ) but then home games have usually been fairly dull..

not buying egb's contention that the league is harder to win this year, we could conceivably win it with 16-18 wins out of 36, Hertz / Huns probably won 25+ games
    That's the wrong way round imho - would they win 25+ games in this league is the question. Maybe they would but there are fewer punch bags around. As my above up the thread - who do you think is better or worse this time round?

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2458 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think @1875 should include a pic in his 'just back' on Saturday. We need tae see this. As someone further up the page has mentioned, the thread will be pointless without pics, so 3 points and pics please Hibs and @1875.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3172 Post(s)
    vCash
    Please win it this week Hibs... not only able to concentrate on the semi final but also to know we are in SPL in regards to try and sign players, get deals done or in place early doors...
    That would be massive for us
    GGTTH

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5531 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think @1875 should include a pic in his 'just back' on Saturday. We need tae see this. As someone further up the page has mentioned, the thread will be pointless without pics, so 3 points and pics please Hibs and @1875.
    Dinnae drag me into your filthy fantasies. Weirdos.
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2458 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Dinnae drag me into your filthy fantasies. Weirdos.
    C'mon M, we're no askin for a pic o his troosers, just his tattoo

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5531 Post(s)
    vCash
    C'mon M, we're no askin for a pic o his troosers, just his tattoo
    I ken where his tattoo is.
    nil satis nisi optimum

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2458 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    I ken where his tattoo is.
    Its no a fish is it? Handy for today mind

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1641 Post(s)
    vCash
    Its no a fish is it?