Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many needed for next season?

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone explain to me why they like Fyvie so much?

To me he is poorer in a defensive role than Marvin (a player who I think is going to really impress next season against better opposition), poorer at making quick passes forward than SJM or Dylan, he can't really play out wide, I've never really seen him provide a dangerous set piece, he doesn't score goals...

...what am I missing? I'd trade him for a proper attacking midfielder in a heartbeat.
    He's a 'water carrier'. He very rarely wastes a pass and he's the type of player that I'd imagine players love playing with.

Bartley is a destroyer. He's very good at it and I agree that he'll probably be very handy next season (especially away from home) however in this league where teams mostly come to Easter Road and sit in; he doesn't offer us anything when he's on the ball. He just passes it sideways or backwards to whoever his closest to him whereas Fyvie is cleverer with the ball.

It's not any coincidence that our form dropped off a cliff last season when Fyvie was injured. The same (albeit to a much lesser degree) happened this season.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post
    He's a 'water carrier'. He very rarely wastes a pass
    Is that true though? That's one of my irks about him, that he does make silly mistakes with his passing.

It's not any coincidence that our form dropped off a cliff last season when Fyvie was injured. The same (albeit to a much lesser degree) happened this season.
    Yup. Forgot injury prone from my list too.

Ach, I won't labour the point. He is one of our players, and I'll concede that he does put 100% effort in when he plays, so I'm not going to slate him. Also I realise I'm in the minority too, but for me he is a player I'd allow to move on.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythehibby View Post
    You're only 33? LMFAO. Pull the other one
    No but it's over 20 years still

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash
    Is that true though? That's one of my irks about him, that he does make silly mistakes with his passing.
    I think it is mostly true, it's just unfortunate that on the rare occassions he makes a mistake it has led to goals/chances for the other team (like Ibrox last season).

When he plays I'd reckon he gets more of the ball than almost any other Hibs player so he might seem like he gives the ball away frequently whereas in fact his ratio of passes completed is actually pretty good.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think it is mostly true, it's just unfortunate that on the rare occassions he makes a mistake it has led to goals/chances for the other team (like Ibrox last season).

When he plays I'd reckon he gets more of the ball than almost any other Hibs player so he might seem like he gives the ball away frequently whereas in fact his ratio of passes completed is actually pretty good.
    That's largely how I view Fyvie and, actually, he's the type of player I'd look to build a team around. He doesn't destroy quite the same way big Starvin' Marvin does, but he can play the same role and offers much, much more moving forward. If we were going to sit in, at Parkhead for example, playing Bartley alongside him makes sense in order to shore things up. I do take the criticism of being injury prone, however, but feel that might be a symptom of the league we play in and the sad fact that a great many opposing players (and, indeed, teams) just forget about the ball and get on with 'the game'.

Unfortunately, I think the squad needs almost entirely rebuilt and it's going to take some time for new players to bed in. The fact we've done absolutely nothing in the last two windows has largely meant that all the work needs done in the summer, which is where we were prior to Alan Stubbs. Being brutally honest, I'm $#@!ing annoyed that we're in that position again.

We lack cover in defence, width or pace from the middle, and goals up front - all things that desperately need attention. I'd look to retain both keepers, Hanlon, McGregor, Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn with everyone else made available for the right price. Cummings is, I think, sure to be sold and I could also be persuaded that Keatings needs a proper run in the team in his actual position. After that, there really isn't a strong argument to keep anyone.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    vCash
    Its a stick on that Fyvie wont be at Easter Rd next season. Lennon doesnt want him. Shame because when he was on his game he was good but that seems a long time ago now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Sleeves View Post
    Its a stick on that Fyvie wont be at Easter Rd next season. Lennon doesnt want him.
    Sadly, that does appear to potentially be the case.

In some ways, it'll depend on what his wages are and what cutting him loose would free up... But that also depends on potential signing targets. The next window is going to be vital for the club, and I daresay we'll suffer for messing it up.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Sadly, that does appear to potentially be the case.In some ways, it'll depend on what his wages are and what cutting him loose would free up... But that also depends on potential signing targets. The next window is going to be vital for the club, and I daresay we'll suffer for messing it up.
    If the wages of any of our out of contract players went on a player that scores goals and provides assists it would be a fab bit of business. This is by far the weakest area of the team. Though I dare say JC having to carve out almost every goal he scores by himself has contributed to his improvement as a player this season.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Sadly, that does appear to potentially be the case.

In some ways, it'll depend on what his wages are and what cutting him loose would free up... But that also depends on potential signing targets. The next window is going to be vital for the club, and I daresay we'll suffer for messing it up.
    Fyvie and Dylan are two that would regularly appear on the team sheet if it was up to me, but it looks as though they are not first picks for Lennon and will be moved on.

The coming transfer window is going to be tremendously nervy/exciting for us and if we don't sign a full team immediately the 'we've missed out on xxx player' threads will be detonating all over the hibs sites.

I'm hoping we sign some real quality so that we be confident of a decent season, and not be skulking mid or lower table. My nerves cannae stand it.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3340 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    The coming transfer window is going to be tremendously nervy/exciting for us and if we don't sign a full team immediately the 'we've missed out on xxx player' threads will be detonating all over the hibs sites.
    oh, for sure. MELTDOWN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Can anyone explain to me why they like Fyvie so much?

To me he is poorer in a defensive role than Marvin (a player who I think is going to really impress next season against better opposition), poorer at making quick passes forward than SJM or Dylan, he can't really play out wide, I've never really seen him provide a dangerous set piece, he doesn't score goals...

...what am I missing? I'd trade him for a proper attacking midfielder in a heartbeat.
    I'd go further than others and say that after JC, Fyvie is the second player to contribute most to our promotion. In my opinion until his los of form he was the engine room of the team, more so than super J. When he dropped out is when we started drawing instead of winning.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    I'd go further than others and say that after JC, Fyvie is the second player to contribute most to our promotion. In my opinion until his los of form he was the engine room of the team, more so than super J. When he dropped out is when we started drawing instead of winning.
    You're on a roll today!

Player of The Season Darren McGregor has contributed more than Fyvie, so has Hanlon. The team has been built on a solid defensive foundation, and those two have been essential.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    You're on a roll today!

Player of The Season Darren McGregor has contributed more than Fyvie, so has Hanlon. The team has been built on a solid defensive foundation, and those two have been essential.
    I agree. Sorry - you can choose to believe me or not on this but I did mean to say offensively. Mcgregor is my player of the season.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    I agree. Sorry - you can choose to believe me or not on this but I did mean to say offensively. Mcgregor is my player of the season.
    I believe you pal. Surprised you didn't go for your best pal Martin Boyle tho!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I believe you pal. Surprised you didn't go for your best pal Martin Boyle tho!
    No way. I think Boyle is underrated by some but he has so little end product he doesn't change games very often - his best spell was when JC was out, running at defences from not as wide.

Fyvie imho was the driving force behind the team; he's not an attacking midfielder (more's the pity) but did move the team forward with more purpose than it has done for months.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)
    vCash
    If the wages of any of our out of contract players went on a player that scores goals and provides assists it would be a fab bit of business. This is by far the weakest area of the team. Though I dare say JC having to carve out almost every goal he scores by himself has contributed to his improvement as a player this season.
    Aye, that's a fair argument. I still often say to myself that "goals" are created more from the system and/or middle of the park, and strikers are there to finish off chances made, but there's no doubt we're weak up front and the (likely) imminent departure of Cummings makes it a real area of concern. That said, there aren't many Leigh Griffiths' around; and they're extremely costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Fyvie and Dylan are two that would regularly appear on the team sheet if it was up to me, but it looks as though they are not first picks for Lennon and will be moved on.

I'm hoping we sign some real quality so that we be confident of a decent season, and not be skulking mid or lower table. My nerves cannae stand it.
    I'm a huge McGeouch fan and, actually, reckon he'll still be here for next season's big kick off - the reason I say that is because he's far too injury prone for a team to take a chance on him. I think he's a smashing fitba player, I really do, but his glass legs are a source of frustration and turn him into something of a luxury player. Sort that out, and I think we've a real good player on our hands (I believe the same of Fyvie).

All that said, I do think the fans will need to be patient with the club this summer; but only to an extent. Practically all of us know that we need to be doing some serious business in the close season, both because we need an increase in general quality and the number of players out-of-contract, but I think the issue is often fans who think the right type of player is someone very specific. If we say, for example, that we need a player with pace, width and a decent delivery then we need to accept whoever is signed to do the job and not concentrate on who that player actually is.

I think that's where the "WE MISSED OUT ON SUCH-AND-SUCH" hysteria comes from.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)
    vCash
    I personally really like fyvie, he sometimes does a lot of dirty unseen work but he never hides from the ball and always wants it off the defenders unlike Bartley so that on turn helps us play a bit better cause it at least gives them another option other than to punt it long to holt that doesn't jump for a header

GoGO Back To Forum