Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash

Tuesday nights games are massive

If St Mirren take anything off Morton, then Morton are pretty much out of it. However, if they do not, and if Dunfermline beat the Arabs (formally killing them off) then it's a real boost for Falkirk. They play St Mirren and Dunfermline in their next two games. A victory in the first of those would see Dunfermline safe from relegation, and you'd have to fancy Falkirk at that point. If we are still drawing or worse, it would be uncomfortable at that point, though we should still be comfortably safe.

This is such a pisser - we only need one win and a draw whatever happens. But feck me that doesn't half seem more difficult than it ought to be. It does feel like results of other games will settle this.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash

Tuesday nights games are massive

Not worried at all. We haven't been good in weeks and our lead has extended during that period.

I think we win next weekend and that will win us it. Either next weekend or semi final weekend i see the league clinched

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not worried at all. We haven't been good in weeks and our lead has extended during that period.

I think we win next weekend and that will win us it. Either next weekend or semi final weekend i see the league clinched
    I hope you are right - the three points for a win system comes into its own in situations like this; we could be sorted in a week or month depending on converting draws into wins.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    I hope you are right - the three points for a win system comes into its own in situations like this; we could be sorted in a week or month depending on converting draws into wins.
    Having been to every game this year I 100% understand people's frustrations with not turning the draws into wins but at the same time I imagine united, Morton and Falkirk fans are even more frustrated at seeing us drop points and somehow they still fall further behind.

The league went mad as soon as St Mirren went on a good run as no one in the bottom 5 has been safe and they are all playing for their lives.

Morton will probably not see a harder game all season than on Tuesday in a Derby which would go along way to save the Saints.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    Don't want to sound dismissive, but we've won the league already. Even if Morton, Falkirk and United win all of their remaining games (which can't actually happen because Morton play United), Hibs need just 5 points from the last 12. I genuinely think 4 Hibs defeats would still be enough. The league's won. It's been very frustrating, I'm not very happy with Lennon to be honest, and if he moved on before the summer transfer window opened I'd be pretty pleased with the outcome of Hibs back in the top flight without him signing our players for next season.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    It's quite interesting - at least to me - that we are the same odds to win the league as we were three games ago. Which means that as 1875 says we are crawling over the line.

However that price is 1-33. And Falkirk can be backed at 66-1. We shouldn't call it from here, but let's face the fact that we are probably being (understandably) pessimistic about our chances, just based on a reading of the situation that other people are prepared to win and lose money on.

I take a bit of comfort from that, anyway ;) GGTTH
    so what do I know

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    vCash
    I have always looked at clubs round about us in the league and how this result and that result would suit us etc but this season has took the biscuit I've supported nearly every team in the league this season and the majority of the time it's been the other sides who have done the damage while we stutter to yet another draw
    It's actually baffling

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryLB View Post
    It's quite interesting - at least to me - that we are the same odds to win the league as we were three games ago. Which means that as 1875 says we are crawling over the line.

However that price is 1-33. And Falkirk can be backed at 66-1. We shouldn't call it from here, but let's face the fact that we are probably being (understandably) pessimistic about our chances, just based on a reading of the situation that other people are prepared to win and lose money on.

I take a bit of comfort from that, anyway ;) GGTTH
    You are no doubt correct; this season has me turning into a statto. But still a somewhat callow one - my op overlooks the fact that such conditions would put the pars in with a punchers chance of the fourth play off slot, so they won't be taking their foot off the gas.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I have always looked at clubs round about us in the league and how this result and that result would suit us etc but this season has took the biscuit I've supported nearly every team in the league this season and the majority of the time it's been the other sides who have done the damage while we stutter to yet another draw
    It's actually baffling
    Totally. The circle that is then so hard to square is how we go and look so classy against sides riding (fairly) high in the SPL.

Never has a season made me think harder about why footballers' performances vary from game to game, about the relationship between quality and consistency.
    so what do I know

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Totally. The circle that is then so hard to square is how we go and look so classy against sides riding (fairly) high in the SPL.

Never has a season made me think harder about why footballers' performances vary from game to game, about the relationship between quality and consistency.
    i hold a minority opinion that this season is not an easier league. It's incredible bunched up with the bottom teams far stronger than the last couple of years. Not one team has lost half their games.

I've not watched games in which we are not involved - it's hard enough watching those where we are - but I am nursing a theory that having different perms of three big teams in the league in the last few years has produced a kind of $#@! catennacio that smaller teams are now using against each other as well. The amount of draws across the board this year is extraordinary. *

Dundees uniteds position looks desperately grim if they stay down, it's an absolutely brutal league to play in now, minus a clear resource advantage.

* I was going to remark it was a fine division for pools pundits - but do the pools even still exist in this age of in game betting?

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6423 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    Having been to every game this year I 100% understand people's frustrations with not turning the draws into wins but at the same time I imagine united, Morton and Falkirk fans are even more frustrated at seeing us drop points and somehow they still fall further behind.

The league went mad as soon as St Mirren went on a good run as no one in the bottom 5 has been safe and they are all playing for their lives.

Morton will probably not see a harder game all season than on Tuesday in a Derby which would go along way to save the Saints.
    Your perfect attendance is to be lauded.

Not only does it show your committed to the team, which is excellent / but it also means I can point out to the missus that I'm not:

a sad $#@!
    obsessed with Hibs
    football daft
    daft
    etc

I'm prepared to admit to the etc bit if you take the hit for the rest.

Cheers

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)
    vCash
    i hold a minority opinion that this season is not an easier league. It's incredible bunched up with the bottom teams far stronger than the last couple of years. Not one team has lost half their games.

I've not watched games in which we are not involved - it's hard enough watching those where we are - but I am nursing a theory that having different perms of three big teams in the league in the last few years has produced a kind of $#@! catennacio that smaller teams are now using against each other as well. The amount of draws across the board this year is extraordinary. *

Dundees uniteds position looks desperately grim if they stay down, it's an absolutely brutal league to play in now, minus a clear resource advantage.

* I was going to remark it was a fine division for pools pundits - but do the pools even still exist in this age of in game betting?
    Instinctively, from what I've watched (much less than you and others) I'd say you're right. I suppose the only thing I'd say is that we probably should have a clear resource advantage!

Although. I went to nearly every game of the 98-99 season, and at times it was almost odd - you went along kind of being pretty sure you would win. Is there a structural reason why that kind of dominance is now not possible? I think there must be - I just can't imagine a Sauzee or a Russell or even a Mixu, really, signing for hibs now. Yet I suppose we must enjoy the same financial superiority
    so what do I know

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Instinctively, from what I've watched (much less than you and others) I'd say you're right. I suppose the only thing I'd say is that we probably should have a clear resource advantage!

Although. I went to nearly every game of the 98-99 season, and at times it was almost odd - you went along kind of being pretty sure you would win. Is there a structural reason why that kind of dominance is now not possible? I think there must be - I just can't imagine a Sauzee or a Russell or even a Mixu, really, signing for hibs now. Yet I suppose we must enjoy the same financial superiority
    I agree H - I was actually trying to say that Dundee United will not have the clear advantage we do. I think it's a different world to 98-99 ; we won't attract that quality in the top flight never mind now. We spent a bucket load in that era. It was recently reported that the average hearts player is on 86k (though that is maybe dragged down by development players I dunno). Aberdeen is 134k. Take your guess at where we're at.

When the gunts were buying their baubles they had players on 10-15k per week. Time have changed significantly.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    481 Post(s)
    vCash

Agree about the league being harder. Ok we don't have Huns or mini-Huns, but Cowdenbeath, Livingston and Alloa have been replaced by Ayr, Dunfermline and Morton. Much tougher prospects.
    GGTTH

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    People get so caught up with the absence of Rangers and Hearts and yes, they're correct in saying it's an easier league at the top with United, Falkirk and Morton being the only sides to even remotely trouble us this season. But looking throughout the table, everybody is taking points of everybody.

In 2014/15, Dumbarton, Livingston, Alloa and Cowdenbeath all lost 20+ league games. Right now, bottom club Ayr have lost just 15 - the joint worst in the league with Raith. Similarly last season, the bottom two of Livingston and Alloa lost 21 and 23 games respectively.

There were only 38 draws in 2014/15, there have already been 46 this season with four rounds of fixtures left to play. Of course Hibs have contributed to this total significantly this season, but if we avoid defeat in our last four games then we'll have gone up having lost the same number of league games as Hearts did when they got promoted, and two fewer than Rangers lost last season.

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3185 Post(s)
    vCash
    I keep saying, our horrendous and untimely injury list helped destroy our consistency, whole midfield out, then whole defence basically out, clearly hasn't helped, but definitely helped towards all these draws.. teams been all over the place... plus Dumbarton at ER playing with 11 men between 18 yard box and 15 yards up is hard for any team to break down
    GGTTH

GoGO Back To Forum