Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)
    vCash

“There is a class about Hibs" Alan Stubbs, 2017

Shamelessly stolen from dotnet whose poster borrowed it from somewhere else.

There's no doubt he loves Hibs in all sorts of ways and we still love him. I love him ... in a man to man sort of way.

I'm not going to carry his bag either though.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Zip_Mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Article

Alan Stubbs spent last night enjoying a quiet refreshment after a day on one of Lancashire’s finest golf courses. A very decent 7-handicap, he’s getting a lot of golf in these days. And the Masters in Augusta is looming, which is whetting his appetite even more.

But, by his own admission, a part of Stubbs still wishes he was at Easter Road. The man who finally landed the Scottish Cup in Leith after 114 painful years last May is brutally honest about his fate. “Winning the Scottish Cup with Hibs is the most satisfying thing that has ever happened to me in football,” says Stubbs. “But then I made a career mistake.”

It still gnaws away at many Hibs fans that, in the weeks following that Hampden triumph, Stubbs chose to leave for Rotherham United rather than stay in Edinburgh. It proved to be a disastrous move, with Stubbs lasting less than five months at the Yorkshire club, who were bottom of the Sky Bet Championship when he was handed his jotters in October. In the period since, the only thing greatly enhanced in his life is his golf.

“I’ve had time to reflect and be honest with myself, on what went wrong, and why it went wrong for me,” says Stubbs. “There is no point in kidding myself: I made the wrong decision in leaving Hibs to go to Rotherham. I’ve had to live with that.

“I had a great structure around me at Hibs; it is a great football club. And winning the Scottish Cup with the Hibs fans that day was amazing. But then I had a decision to make about what next for me.

“I knew about a week after Hampden that there was interest in me. There had been all that reaction, the cup parade, the furore of it all. People have asked me many times, ‘why did you leave Hibs?’ Well, I know now it was a mistake but, after winning the cup, a part of me was asking, ‘how do I top this?’

“Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In hindsight, I now wish I had stayed and let my time at Hibs run its course. But, at the time, I felt it was the right decision to leave. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong club to go to.”

When Stubbs left Hibs aged 44 last summer, his career was on an upward trajectory. He had done well and gained respect previously as the Everton under-21 manager, and in his two eventful seasons at Easter Road he wrote his name indelibly into Hibs’ history. But then he hit the buffers.

“Everything I had at Hibs — the right structure, the right people there — I found I didn’t have at Rotherham,” he says. “Right from the very start I didn’t have the right feel about the club. The budget there was one of the lowest in the league and 60% of it was already spent by the time I got to work on a new team. Then I missed out on some signings and was forced to gamble late on free transfers, when most of the better ‘frees’ had already been snapped up. I was left having to pull rabbits out of a hat.

“I’m not disputing my own responsibility; I made mistakes. But there were circumstances there which didn’t help. When you look at clubs like Rotherham or Leeds United, where there have been five or six mangers in such a short space of time, it can’t all be down to all those managers being poor. The recruitment can’t be that bad. It surely points to something behind the scenes at those clubs not being right.

“I ask myself a lot, ‘why did you leave Hibs?’ I’ve been forced to reflect on it. Of course, if I’d gone to a different club last summer, and things had worked out, then the question wouldn’t come up. I’m hoping Rotherham proves to be a blessing in disguise, and that I’ll be stronger for it in my next job.”

His Hibs experience remains a deep existential moment for Stubbs. Just as eyebrows were raised in Scotland when he left to go to Rotherham, so some English observers had queried his decision to leave Goodison Park in 2014 to go to Easter Road. But Stubbs believes it was the making of him as a manager.

“I don’t think I’ve become a bad manager overnight,” he says. “I had two years at Hibs, my first job as a manager, and we reached a League Cup final, a Scottish Cup final, and two more cup semi-finals. Obviously, we missed out on promotion, which I would have dearly loved, but we won the Scottish Cup and I think I earned pass marks as a manager in those two years.

“I believe I helped move Hibs forward. When I arrived the club had just gone down and it required a total rebuild. We also had to do some major bridge-building with the fans, who had totally lost faith, who had lost that bond with the club. I had to make sure the fans felt like they had their club back.

“In season 2015-16 we had optimism, but we also knew that Rangers were getting their house in order. They were the overwhelming favourites to go up. We were probably also affected by our involvement all the way in the two cup competitions, but I’m not using that as an excuse. Ultimately, we lost out on promotion. Over these two play-off games against Falkirk we were the better team, but it wasn’t to be. It is my one big regret about Hibs. And I’m chuffed to bits today that Lenny will take Hibs up — and he will.”

Saturday, May 21, 2016 will live long in the memory, for all sorts of reasons. The pitch invasion in part marred that Scottish Cup final at Hampden. On the other hand, the beautiful, exquisite rendition of Sunshine on Leith by Hibs fans, like a vast choir in a great cathedral, was one of the greatest sights ever seen in Scottish football. Stubbs carried the Scottish Cup back to Leith.

“I said it often, I wanted to rid Hibs of the image they had: that they’d always fall at the final hurdle, that they didn’t have the stomach for it, the bottle. There had been too much heartache. That was one reason why winning the Scottish Cup at Hampden was so special.

“For me that cup win was all about other people at the club: the players, the staff, the fans. It was about the fulfilment of a dream for them. That is where I got my biggest buzz: from what it meant to others.

“So many questions had been asked, about Hibs’ strength, about Hibs’ character. Well, Hibs rose to it that day; they won the Scottish Cup; they beat Rangers. I think that answered it.

“It was the best feeling I’ve ever had in football. I’ve seen the footage of the Hibs fans that day singing Sunshine on Leith: it was incredibly special. That song is spine-tingling.

“There is a class about Hibs, as there is about Celtic, and about Everton. Some clubs have that class, and some clubs wish they had it, but they don’t.”
    Love the last bit.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Love the last bit.
    I loved the sentiment, but not the reference to the Smellies, although I can understand why that is his opinion.

Will always be a Hibs Legend.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    I loved the sentiment, but not the reference to the Smellies, although I can understand why that is his opinion.

Will always be a Hibs Legend.

There are so many bits to love, that he twice says 210516 is his best moment in football despite what he won at Celtic, is another.

The Hibee Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    vCash
    Safe to say he connected, he gets it and it'll never leave. GGTTH.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    ...and there is a class about Alan Stubbs as well. His contribution to Hibs hopefully now imminent return to our rightful place and of course winning the Scottish Cup will always be remembered at Hibernian for as long as the club is around. He is a Hibs legend forever for what he achieved. He took on the managers job at one of our darkest hours and went about rebuilding the squad to give the loyal Hibs fans a team to be proud of again. He made mistakes all right...every Hibs manager has made mistakes and every future Hibs manager will continue to make mistakes...but he got most things right. He failed to get us promoted and I'm sure that causes him much pain even now, but it was a tall order to get Hibs up in two seasons given what we were up against and the state of the club when he took it over.

Thanks for everything Alan.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6480 Post(s)
    vCash
    He left far too early. He should have stayed to finish the job. Get us up this season then next season establish us as a top third club in the top division.

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    Left at the right time I think, his legacy will never be tarnished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    vCash
    'How do I top this?' - Not by going to Rotherham, Alan, that's for sure. Anyone could see that he was on a hiding to nothing going there and that the most likely outcome was that it would end in tears...and in a reasonably short time.

I am another with a great respect for Alan Stubbs. Not only did he take the club on when it was in total crisis, 'unexpectedly' relegated and with barely a team of senior players on the books but he operated with class and style during his stay as it made steady progress.

I respect also his opinion and words about the club but there is a little of something of him courting the club for a return when/if an opportunity arises. I'm sure that would make many happy though, me included. Not that I don't think he'd zip off elsewhere again given a 'better' opportunity. That's football.

Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    vCash
    He delivered the holy grail, gave us back the pride we wanted in our club during which time he understood what Hibs were about.

A pity he left, he will go down in history and perhaps one day might be back in some capacity.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)
    vCash
    imo the best post ever from a Legend of a Manager of Hibernian Football Club. Choking with pride reading this post!!! Love you Alan. I'm sure YOU will be our manager again one day. GGTTH
    ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF AN APPROACHING NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IS THE BELIEF THAT ONES WORK IS TERRIBLY IMPORTANT

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5532 Post(s)
    vCash
    "On the other hand, the beautiful, exquisite rendition of Sunshine on Leith by Hibs fans, like a vast choir in a great cathedral, was one of the greatest sights ever seen in Scottish football".

Alan Stubbs, a Hibernian legend.
    nil satis nisi optimum

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heid View Post
    You make a very good point P&G, witness the treatment of Ranieri at Leicester.

Cheers

Indeed. history will show he was a success. This season he may have ran away with the league. On the other hand had he not got us promoted again, he most likely would have quit or got emptied. May'be best we never know if that could have been the outcome.

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    imo the best post ever from a Legend of a Manager of Hibernian Football Club. Choking with pride reading this post!!! Love you Alan. I'm sure YOU will be our manager again one day. GGTTH
    There's part of me who would happily have him back as manager. However, I appreciate the sentiment that his reputation at Hibs will never be tarnished if he never comes back. For me, no matter what, his legacy will never be tarnished, no matter what he does. I respect him as a player, a manager and love what he says about Hibs. I also love Doolan! He really 'got' Hibs.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)
    vCash

Mad Hibees Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    209 Post(s)
    vCash
    I know i go against that grain.... but i always felt Stubbs wouldn't get us promoted...he stuck too much to his ideals.

He won us the cup tho.... so for me he'll always be a hibs hero

GoGO Back To Forum