Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6489 Post(s)
    vCash

Neil Lennon on our budget

Thought it was an interesting interview with Neil Lennon on BBC Radio Scotland after the game yesterday.

He was talking about how tough a league this is to get out of and how he doesn't have the budget to do it like other clubs have in the past.

This surprised me. Yes I get that the Huns last season had a far higher budget but who else? I wouldn't have imagined the Gunts had much higher a budget the year previous and Lennon will certainly have a budget higher than any other 'First Division' club before that?

Anyone else thinking Neil Lennon isn't too happy with the backing he has received in the windows and in particular the January window?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    He probably is but like you I doubt the gunts spent more

- - - Updated - - -

We've mentioned thin margins many times this season and if we get away with it, saving the money to invest in a top flight squad should work out well. But we've sailed a bit close to the wind.

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    He has highlighted this two or three times now. I agree with him I think the LD could of done more. Lennon deserves a lot of credit for what he is on the verge of achieving.

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    The lack of spending has been a complete piss take, Lennon is right.

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    vCash
    He easily has the biggest budget, largest and best squad in this league , so he really needs to wynd his neck in a bit.
    If ( and I'm sure we will) we get promoted , that's certainly not going to the case next year. He surely knew what he was walking into when he took the job. Other Hibs managers in the past have lost their best players in transfer window.
    I'm warming to Lennon , and like his passion and demands from the players , but I'm not liking his digs and veiled threats that's he's not too happy with certain things. It's almost as if we should be hugely grateful that someone of his stature is even bothering with us. Maybe ,hopefully, I am reading too much into his comments.
    I think the board were correct not to splash out in January, money is tight at Hibs don't forget. We do have a decent squad , and if anything was to happen to Cummings , then a decent manager should be able to get enough out of Boyle, Keats, Holt and Graham to see us over the line.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    I don't think we needed to spend a penny more to get out of this league (or for that matter make a decent defence our Scottish Cup), and Lennon will have more money in the summer to build a new squad for the top flight.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3347 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He easily has the biggest budget, largest and best squad in this league , so he really needs to wynd his neck in a bit.
    If ( and I'm sure we will) we get promoted , that's certainly not going to the case next year. He surely knew what he was walking into when he took the job. Other Hibs managers in the past have lost their best players in transfer window.
    I'm warming to Lennon , and like his passion and demands from the players , but I'm not liking his digs and veiled threats that's he's not too happy with certain things. It's almost as if we should be hugely grateful that someone of his stature is even bothering with us. Maybe ,hopefully, I am reading too much into his comments.
    I think the board were correct not to splash out in January, money is tight at Hibs don't forget. We do have a decent squad , and if anything was to happen to Cummings , then a decent manager should be able to get enough out of Boyle, Keats, Holt and Graham to see us over the line.
    Agree inasmuch as this squad has more than enough to comfortably win this division, as it's ably demonstrated in the "blue chip" games. It's not turning up for too many of the bread and butter fixtures that's resulted in us sailing close to the wind.

I did advocate spending heavily to make sure. However, it looks like we're all but home and hosed now, and Lennon and the players deserve the plaudits they'll receive. However, I then expect to see the funds we've been saving utilised to establish us as a top four side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    You'd be surprised, Fawkirk and Raith and DU bigger squads than us
    GGTTH

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Thought it was an interesting interview with Neil Lennon on BBC Radio Scotland after the game yesterday.

He was talking about how tough a league this is to get out of and how he doesn't have the budget to do it like other clubs have in the past.

This surprised me. Yes I get that the Huns last season had a far higher budget but who else? I wouldn't have imagined the Gunts had much higher a budget the year previous and Lennon will certainly have a budget higher than any other 'First Division' club before that?

Anyone else thinking Neil Lennon isn't too happy with the backing he has received in the windows and in particular the January window?
    I understand the Gunts were paying ridiculous high wages for the Championship.

NL was disgusted with the lack of strengthening in the last window, a list was given to the board and nobody was brought in.

- - - Updated - - -

Wynd his neck in!! So you are happy with the board penny pinching as per usual.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6343 Post(s)
    vCash
    If we get promoted without spending big in January, and that gives a decent wedge to strengthen next season then it seems the penny pinching board called it about right.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3347 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    If we get promoted without spending big in January, and that gives a decent wedge to strengthen next season then it seems the penny pinching board called it about right.
    Indeed.

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'll be shocked if the board splash the cash next season. If Cummings is sold they better spend and buy a proven replacement, none of this Kenny Miller pish.

Tigers ya Radge!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    Sounds like he is definitely making that point.

I like that, his job is to constantly push and cajole the board into parting with more cash so that we hit our goals and push the team on.

It's the boards job to listen to that and ensure that the the club is in a good financial condition going forwards.

Seems like a healthy situation to me - provided it doesn't boil over and given we are about to win our league and may retain our Scottish Cup - winning games and titles tends to ensure everyone stays happy.

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Family View Post
    I understand the Gunts were paying ridiculous high wages for the Championship.

NL was disgusted with the lack of strengthening in the last window, a list was given to the board and nobody was brought in.

- - - Updated - - -

Wynd his neck in!! So you are happy with the board penny pinching as per usual.
    I'm not so sure the board are penny pinching. Every pound is a prisoner at Hibs I would imagine. We have after all been the championship for 3 seasons , as I'm sure you are aware.
    My surprise is the "NL was disgusted at the lack of strengthening " type of comment. I doubt very much LD said to him before he signed " we've got jeeps of cash, just ask you will get" I would imagine she was quite upfront with him about how much we had in the kitty. He's not at the Smellies anymore, managers have to earn their corn at this club ( and most others of course). I'm pretty sure me, you and most others on here would get Hibs out this division if money wasn't an issue.
    I have not a clue about Hibs wage structure , but I am confident NL will be the highest earner . What do you reckon his salary is?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4214 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm surprised to hear that NL is having wee digs at the board. When Stubbs was here all we heard was that what he wanted he got. Having said that Leeann often said he didn't ask for much so when he did the board bent over backwards to accommodate him. Remember the stick the club got for their trips to Spain.

There's a bit of a whinge going on over the way about money being spent having the team stay in a hotel before each game, home and away, because that's what NL wants. It doesn't sound like the board are being mean.

About bringing players in in January. What's the point? As has already been said we have a squad that should have skooshed this league. And in this league we can bring players in on loan if injuries take their toll, Commons and Effe kinda prove that quality can be acquired if necessary. Some might say our loans have been better than who they were supposed to have replaced! Maybe Neil hasn't quite got to grips of the rules for this league?

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    vCash
    If the board brought in the transfer targets NL wanted then we wouldn't have been looking over our shoulders hoping other teams will be doing us a favour, Lucky for them they have the best man for the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that NL is having wee digs at the board. When Stubbs was here all we heard was that what he wanted he got. Having said that Leeann often said he didn't ask for much so when he did the board bent over backwards to accommodate him. Remember the stick the club got for their trips to Spain.

There's a bit of a whinge going on over the way about money being spent having the team stay in a hotel before each game, home and away, because that's what NL wants. It doesn't sound like the board are being mean.

About bringing players in in January. What's the point? As has already been said we have a squad that should have skooshed this league. And in this league we can bring players in on loan if injuries take their toll, Commons and Effe kinda prove that quality can be acquired if necessary. Some might say our loans have been better than who they were supposed to have replaced! Maybe Neil hasn't quite got to grips of the rules for this league?

The point is NL knew we were going to lose Paul Hanlon and he identified our weak positions also, so he made a list of the players he wanted that he and his team thought would improve us for the final stretch, I don't know about you but getting beat of the likes of Dumbarton, St Mirren, to name but a few, in no way I am saying that we would have skooshed these games either, although if it was strengthening the team then surely it's a massive benefit for the club and us supporters.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not so sure the board are penny pinching. Every pound is a prisoner at Hibs I would imagine. We have after all been the championship for 3 seasons , as I'm sure you are aware.
    My surprise is the "NL was disgusted at the lack of strengthening " type of comment. I doubt very much LD said to him before he signed " we've got jeeps of cash, just ask you will get" I would imagine she was quite upfront with him about how much we had in the kitty. He's not at the Smellies anymore, managers have to earn their corn at this club ( and most others of course). I'm pretty sure me, you and most others on here would get Hibs out this division if money wasn't an issue.
    I have not a clue about Hibs wage structure , but I am confident NL will be the highest earner . What do you reckon his salary is?
    I understand the list that was given was well within the budget NL told he had. Of course he is going to be on alright money as he is the only manager that can get us out of this league. As many have said it was a huge gamble by the board not bringing in these players and rightly so NL makes us aware of this as these could have been different outcomes on our latest games where the quality hasn't been there to be honest.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    Let's not forget the board urging fans to buy season tickets before winning the cup. The more season tickets sold the bigger the budget. That turned out to be complete pish as the fans went above and beyond. Relying on emergency loan signings, getting a bit embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6343 Post(s)
    vCash
    If we had wasted money on unnecessary wages and transfers then that would have been less available to gear up for next season.
    The view that we are not winning the league well enough for some is mindblowing.
    Do we extra cash for winning by a bigger margin?

I just want us to win it. And if we can win it and make more cash available for next season then I'm happy enough. My pitchfork is in the shed, my torch remains unlit.
    Good luck with the protests though.

Back to 'penny pinching' next it will be the $#@!e about Rodders or Sir Tom syphoning off the greenbacks.

Deary me.

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    vCash
    If we had wasted money on unnecessary wages and transfers then that would have been less available to gear up for next season.
    The view that we are not winning the league well enough for some is mindblowing.
    Do we extra cash for winning by a bigger margin?

I just want us to win it. And if we can win it and make more cash available for next season then I'm happy enough. My pitchfork is in the shed, my torch remains unlit.
    Good luck with the protests though.

Back to 'penny pinching' next it will be the $#@!e about Rodders or Sir Tom syphoning off the greenbacks.

Deary me.

How would it be wasted if it was the strengthening the team. Everyone knows we have had a weaker squad than last season and that wasn't good enough for promotion.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3347 Post(s)
    vCash
    How would it be wasted if it was the strengthening the team. Everyone knows we have had a weaker squad than last season and that wasn't good enough for promotion.
    But it is this year?

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2690 Post(s)
    vCash
    10 points clear at the top of the league and folk are moaning,only Hibs 🙈😄
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    It makes all the sense to have brought in one or two more players on a permanent basis and bed them in to the squad. Let the team gel and be ready for preseason, not join a week or so before the season starts like we usually do.

Capital Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    10 points clear at the top of the league and folk are moaning,only Hibs ������������
    Not moaning mate just confirming why NL is unhappy.

All it's and but's to be honest but if we were the team chasing 10 points I am sure NL wouldn't be the only one unhappy at our board.
    "THE HIBEES FAMILY"

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2690 Post(s)
    vCash

All it's and but's to be honest but if we were the team chasing 10 points I am sure NL wouldn't be the only one unhappy at our board.
    Totally get what you're saying mate,just seems a bit moot now.

Let's look forward to next season back up top
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4214 Post(s)
    vCash

No, you're right, none of us would be happy but we're not the team chasing 10 points!
    Space to let

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2463 Post(s)
    vCash
    Interesting thread...I heard that interview with Lennon on the way home from the match yesterday.
    A few things:

1/ I got the impression that he was making the point that we have not run away with the league this season because the budget he has had has not been comparable with the budget the Rangers had last season or even Hearts the season before. He also emphasised how hard this league is to get out of especially in our third season down here. The longer you are in this league the harder it is to get out of it. I agree with him 100%. I have been going on about the same points Lennon was making yesterday all season. Hearts didn't get relegated from the top league because they were the worst team in the league...in actual fact they were one of the better teams in the top league the year they went down as their record shows particularly from January onwards. They were only relegated due to financial shenanigans behind the scenes meaning they went into administration. Hibs were the worst team and deserved to go down. Hearts were in better shape than any other team in the Championship and this was reflected in the outcome of the next season with them walking the league by 23 clear points...Hibs actually did extremely well to finish second above the Rangers in our first season down. The next season the Rangers budget far exceeded ours and yet again this was reflected in the final league position. This season our budget was the biggest in the league but it was not as big as the previous two seasons as income would have been way down and only our cup success meant that financially we managed to keep our heads above water. Next season will be totally different. IMO there needs to be a radical overhaul of the squad in the summer because we need better players than we have just now if we are going to make an impression at the top end of the league, it's as simple as that. The manager and the board will know this.

2/ There is no doubt in my mind that Lennon was let down in the transfer market in January. He let it be known publically a few days before the end of the window that he fully expected at least one new face in before close of play. We ended up with nothing. It made him look stupid and he won't have liked that. I have no doubt that even now he will be asking questions of the board and their commitment to backing him this summer in the changes he will need to make.

3/ I disagree with those who say he didn't operate well last summer in the window. He had a limited budget although he had inherited much of the squad which had won the cup and were still on a huge confidence high. Keeping Cummings for another year was crucial. He brought in players he thought would help enable us win the league, but there was no way he was ever going to be able to replace the quality of Henderson and Stokes with the money he had available.

4/ I hope he stays and establishes Hibs back firstly as a competitive SPFL club (we weren't for several years even leading up to relegation), then onwards and upwards eventually replacing Aberdeen as the biggest challengers to the Rangers (who will get bigger and better in the next year or two) and Celtic. I am confident he will do just that before moving on to pastures new.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 27-03-17 at 09:24.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great post as ever, by @Greenmachine, to which I would make this addendum;

I don't believe that this years league is easier than last years in fact I think it's the opposite. Last year we had sevco to contend with, but until their late fade - for which we are responsible - Dundee United played the role of a rival too big for this division. Yes they are not as well resourced, but sevco were in our pocket.

Leave that aside, st Mirren at the bottom of the table are on 27 points after 29 games. Last years bottom club finished in 21 from 36. There are a lot less easy games this time round - the league is far more competitive and we have seen off qos, Falkirk, united and hopefully in turn Morton. Add in ourselves and that is 50% of the league that have been pushing the top spot at times. There have been few mugs along the way especially - a minor obsession of mine - at the time we played them: repeatedly we got lower rank teams on a good run, which is finally happening to our rivals.

St Mirren are, for example, above us in the bookies form table. Dunfermline will be rocketing up it. The close out will, I predict, be brutal. The bottom half of the table is full of teams comfortably outperforming mid table teams and the bigger teams will drop points as those fighting for their lives give it there all. This is to our advantage ... we will draw where others get turned over, and will win by attrition even if we don't close out more emphatically as I expect we will. (Especially if that is hanlon now back in business)

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    712 Post(s)
    vCash
    We've been lucky this season that we don't have a competitor who will get the 81 or 70 points that the Huns and Falkirk did last season. 1 or 2 might just scrape by Raith's total of 62 that got them 4th.

I've been very critical of the budget available to Lennon in both windows but looks like it has paid off with us meeting our target of promotion. On the other hand though we were ill/under prepared for Brondby* and might fall short of the quality needed to successfully defend our cup.

* Still raging at missing out on a trip to (Hertha) Berlin from what proved to be a winnable tie.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    10 points clear at the top of the league and folk are moaning,only Hibs 🙈😄
    Fine margins I suppose...had we lost yesterday etc...but if I remember rightly, last time we were in this division we only won by 7 points. Neil probably aint used to having to lower his expectations, however he is probably also firing a warning shot and trying his luck for the close season. Suppose if we don't win the cup tho, we will always wonder what if Stokes/Commons was here..with Henderson to deliver of course

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4386 Post(s)
    vCash
    good comments by @Greenmachine and i agree Lennon was having a go at overspending basket cases Hearts/Sevco more than the board, but I agree he wanted to spend some money in January. Football manager wants to spend money, shock.

Ever since the opening day I've been confident we'd win the league, and by double digits. A few bumps along the way but looking likely now.

I'd be fine with Lennon staying next year, something I wouldn't have expected saying in September- not gonna join in NL G&W army just yet- but if he can convince the likes of Commons and Efe to ER in this league, would be interesting to see who he can get next year.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6489 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    good comments by @Greenmachine and i agree Lennon was having a go at overspending basket cases Hearts/Sevco more than the board, but I agree he wanted to spend some money in January. Football manager wants to spend money, shock.

Ever since the opening day I've been confident we'd win the league, and by double digits. A few bumps along the way but looking likely now.

I'd be fine with Lennon staying next year, something I wouldn't have expected saying in September- not gonna join in NL G&W army just yet- but if he can convince the likes of Commons and Efe to ER in this league, would be interesting to see who he can get next year.
    Did the Gunts spend big to get out of this division?

Personally I think we will see Lennon increasingly over the next few weeks lay down a marker to the board in terms of next seasons budget. And I'm thinking it's 50:50 whether he will be with us next season.

Like you I'd like to see him stay as the test of him as a manager isn't IMO getting us promoted but will be overseeing a big turnover in staff and establishing us as a top six club next season.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4386 Post(s)
    vCash
    Did the Gunts spend big to get out of this division?

Personally I think we will see Lennon increasingly over the next few weeks lay down a marker to the board in terms of next seasons budget. And I'm thinking it's 50:50 whether he will be with us next season.

Like you I'd like to see him stay as the test of him as a manager isn't IMO getting us promoted but will be overseeing a big turnover in staff and establishing us as a top six club next season.
    Unsure about the gunts, but Sow,Bauban,Gomis,Ozturk,Paterson etc would have been on reasonable money.

Hibs squad needs hugs work done to it imo.7/8 out and 8/9 in.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2463 Post(s)
    vCash
    Unsure about the gunts, but Sow,Bauban,Gomis,Ozturk,Paterson etc would have been on reasonable money.

Hibs squad needs hugs work done to it imo.7/8 out and 8/9 in.
    My view is that Hearts already had a decent team when they were forcibly relegated due to administration. They were able somehow to keep most of their better players from the previous season and added to it with players like Sow who was a very good player for them and the sort of player we could have done with in this league. They knew they were going down months before they did and were able to prepare properly for it. I seem to remember them winning most of their matches in the last couple of months prior to their drop so they were in a winning frame of mind when the new season started. The Rangers had came up from league one hardly setting the heather on fire there, but their budget was higher than ours. Hibs had been relegated unexpectedly with the last kick of the ball and were a total shambles come the close season. Despite this, a rookie manager Alan Stubbs managed to put together a decent squad of players very quickly and as I say for me his achievement in finishing second that season above the Rangers was commendable given what he had inherited.

Getting relegated was bad enough for Hibs in 2013/14...especially in the circumstances we did. Getting relegated that particular season of all seasons with Hearts and the Rangers joining us in the Championship was calamitous.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 28-03-17 at 16:02.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6343 Post(s)
    vCash
    Spot on with that GM.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    Must be saving it for the summer when we'll need better players and get rid of the lot of dead wood.

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    What I like about Lennon is he'll already know who's not good enough and empty them. Much different than the Stubbs best pal act. Lennon will do what's best for the club and squad.

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    What I like about Lennon is he'll already know who's not good enough and empty them. Much different than the Stubbs best pal act. Lennon will do what's best for the club and squad.
    Yep, he'll not hang on to anyone that he deems not good enough. We may see a few of our Scottish Cup legends depart.
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4923 Post(s)
    vCash
    We must have made a mint from all the Scottish Cup stuff and NL is right $#@! all has been spent and had it not been for that last min goal and Morton slipping up we wouldn't be 10 ahead and would have been squeaky bum time.

Folk were saying we would have the league won by Xmas and it's now nearly April.

I expect a few big signings for the step up to the SPL or we could find ourselves back doon quicker than what we went up

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    We must have made a mint from all the Scottish Cup stuff and NL is right $#@! all has been spent and had it not been for that last min goal and Morton slipping up we wouldn't be 10 ahead and would have been squeaky bum time.

Folk were saying we would have the league won by Xmas and it's now nearly April.

I expect a few big signings for the step up to the SPL or we could find ourselves back doon quicker than what we went up
    Good post Jamie ,

Far too many what ifs in this campaign . As I said a week ago don't miss the cracks in all the euphoria folks. We been very lucky this season. There has been no great calculation from the board. A board who would gamble with the very existence of our club as we know it , are folk seriously suggesting they are that clever ?
    The standard of football , the standard of player , are no where good enough and Lennon knows it.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4386 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by south west hiby View Post
    Good post Jamie ,

Far too many what ifs in this campaign . As I said a week ago don't miss the cracks in all the euphoria folks. We been very lucky this season. There has been no great calculation from the board. A board who would gamble with the very existence of our club as we know it , are folk seriously suggesting they are that clever ?
    The standard of football , the standard of player , are no where good enough and Lennon knows it.
    Not sure I agree with this. The standard of player is clearly good enough to achieve the objective of promotion. Top of the league with a double digit lead, rarely get beat, in the SC semi final and recently removed a usual nemesis from the equation pretty much.

Lennon as a manager is always going to demand more from his squad and his board, that's his job. I'd be unhappy if he didn't, but the board done the required and provided him with the squad to get the job done. They've acted when necessary and got Commons and Efe in, taken abide that the offers for both reached the limit and walked when unhappy with counter offers. Seems sensible.

Now none of the above apply to next season, but let's deal with this season before looking ahead to that.

Gambling with the very existence of the club seems like quite a reach to me.

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think the board were extremely poor in both windows. The fact Lennon said we needed players and they failed to make it happen. As a collective group here, we can all agree that the loan signing of Commons brought us a much needed spark and creativity. Up until he arrived we struggled. The board should have gone all out to keep him until the end of the season.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6489 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm surprised folk think we've banked money for next season? I'd have thought we've probably again ran at a loss this season? No windfall balloon payment and less telly money?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4386 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    I think the board were extremely poor in both windows. The fact Lennon said we needed players and they failed to make it happen. As a collective group here, we can all agree that the loan signing of Commons brought us a much needed spark and creativity. Up until he arrived we struggled. The board should have gone all out to keep him until the end of the season.
    Again, I disagree. We clearly didn't need players. Lennon would have liked players, but keeping Commons- as nice as it would have been- wasn't essential. The league table bears this out.

We're top of the league, double digit lead, superior goal difference, games running out and still elements within the support find ways to turn this into a negative. I'm genuinely at a loss to see how our current position can be seen as anything but prudent, slightly boring management of the club from the board.

We'll achieve the goal we all wanted by using the least amount of funds required.Whether that's down to being skint, good financial management, good squad management or a combination of all who knows, but we're going to win the league.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm surprised folk think we've banked money for next season? I'd have thought we've probably again ran at a loss this season? No windfall balloon payment and less telly money?
    If last years SC win money plus 60% uplift in gates, and another good cup run, doesn't compensate for the reduced tv money I'd be surprised. The key point is that if we go up and retain or increase ST numbers next year, with tv money restored, we'll be running well above Rodders break even point and there should be money to invest - even before transfers out. I think @southfieldhibby has it right re this season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6343 Post(s)
    vCash
    You might be right bluefella - we won't know until the accounts are published - but irrespective of whether we banked money or just spunked less money, the end result is the same. We look like acheiving our main (sole?) objective of the season without breaking the bank.

As has already been said, ANY manager wants to improve, and keep on improving his squad. Ultimately his job depends upon it.
    By all accounts "the Board" supported Lennon in trying to get Liam back, sign Stokesy, and Commons.
    These deals failed to complete - does that mean there is fault at Hibs? Perhaps others involved in the deal had something to do with it. It doesn't always have to be Hibs being tight fisted - or refusing to 'accumulate to speculate'.

The Stokes talks famously went 'to the wire' but ran out of time - so plan B (if there was one) couldn't be actioned.
    Sometimes $#@! happens.

One way or another we seem to have sufficient strength to get over the line and I look forward to building a new team - although that will be tinged with sadness as Cup Winners move on.

I dunno why we aren't all happy with where we are just now - onwards and upwards seems to be the direction, but we still want to find something to be unhappy about.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6489 Post(s)
    vCash
    Well I'm very happy with where we are.

If someone had said last August we'd be 10 points ahead (really 11 with GD) and having pumped the Gunts out of the Scottish Cup again on route to a chance of another final in a one off game v the Sheep at Hampden I'd have bitten the arm off....

We need to buy season tickets in huge numbers and the board need to strengthen this summer to ensure we make impact back where we belong next season.

Shameless Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2690 Post(s)
    vCash
    Well I'm very happy with where we are.

If someone had said last August we'd be 10 points ahead (really 11 with GD) and having pumped the Gunts out of the Scottish Cup again on route to a chance of another final in a one off game v the Sheep at Hampden I'd have bitten the arm off....

We need to buy season tickets in huge numbers and the board need to strengthen this summer to ensure we make impact back where we belong next season.
    Me too,we've lost 3 all season (once at ER) and even though some of the performances have been frustrating we're still picking up points in most games.

Celtic and Rangers(Old) grind out wins and draws all the time and move onto the next fixture without caring how "lucky" they are.

It's an attitude we should adopt instead of worrying wether we fluked a game or not.

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    vCash
    We're top of the league, double digit lead, superior goal difference, games running out and still elements within the support find ways to turn this into a negative. I'm genuinely at a loss to see how our current position can be seen as anything but prudent, slightly boring management of the club from the board.

We'll achieve the goal we all wanted by using the least amount of funds required.Whether that's down to being skint, good financial management, good squad management or a combination of all who knows, but we're going to win the league.
    By all accounts "the Board" supported Lennon in trying to get Liam back, sign Stokesy, and Commons.
    These deals failed to complete - does that mean there is fault at Hibs? Perhaps others involved in the deal had something to do with it. It doesn't always have to be Hibs being tight fisted - or refusing to 'accumulate to speculate'.

The Stokes talks famously went 'to the wire' but ran out of time - so plan B (if there was one) couldn't be actioned.
    Sometimes $#@! happens.

I dunno why we aren't all happy with where we are just now - onwards and upwards seems to be the direction, but we still want to find something to be unhappy about.
    Agree with all the above. I certainly believe that deals were attempted with the players mentioned. These things unfortunately happen (or don't). There is recognition from me that there was intent to sign them but they didn't get over the line. I really don't believe that it was penny pinching. It was disappointing, especially with the particular players concerned but that's life, there's little point in sulking about it. You dust yourself down, get on with the job...and get yourself ten points clear and into the semi-final of the Scottish Cup.

It appears to me that last weekend's results have only just broken the back of the rump of supporters who are unhappy and appear to believe that Hibs should have a 25-point gap between them and any other challenger. It just isn't often like that. WHEN Hibs win the title and are promoted nobody will care by how many points it was, the only thing that is important is promotion to the higher level.

If Hibs don't win a game all hell is let loose afterwards, 'disgrace', 'eye bleeding football' and my very latest favourite 'turgid football'. The usual criticisms of the manager are trotted out...and forgotten after the next good result. It's a total overreaction. I often wonder if I've woken up as a Barcelona supporter. We are Hibs, we are a great and storied club and tradition and we are putting every damned thing right - one by one - that went wrong for so many years. That doesn't happen overnight, it is a process. It has meant turning the club around, re-orienting it in the direction it needs to be heading and showing a little patience while this happens. That for me is exactly what is happening.

Fellow football fans down here often ask me how Hibs are doing, 'x points clear at the top and progressing in the Scottish Cup' is my usual reply. It sounds pretty good and healthy to them. They are probably a little mystified why Hibs fans in some numbers appear not happy. My answer would be that it's probably through all the hurt and mismanagement in the past, it has been hard to let go and forget.

I think it is well overdue now though. Time to go forwards.

The Hibee Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Agree with all the above. I certainly believe that deals were attempted with the players mentioned. These things unfortunately happen (or don't). There is recognition from me that there was intent to sign them but they didn't get over the line. I really don't believe that it was penny pinching. It was disappointing, especially with the particular players concerned but that's life, there's little point in sulking about it. You dust yourself down, get on with the job...and get yourself ten points clear and into the semi-final of the Scottish Cup.

It appears to me that last weekend's results have only just broken the back of the rump of supporters who are unhappy and appear to believe that Hibs should have a 25-point gap between them and any other challenger. It just isn't often like that. WHEN Hibs win the title and are promoted nobody will care by how many points it was, the only thing that is important is promotion to the higher level.

If Hibs don't win a game all hell is let loose afterwards, 'disgrace', 'eye bleeding football' and my very latest favourite 'turgid football'. The usual criticisms of the manager are trotted out...and forgotten after the next good result. It's a total overreaction. I often wonder if I've woken up as a Barcelona supporter. We are Hibs, we are a great and storied club and tradition and we are putting every damned thing right - one by one - that went wrong for so many years. That doesn't happen overnight, it is a process. It has meant turning the club around, re-orienting it in the direction it needs to be heading and showing a little patience while this happens. That for me is exactly what is happening.

Fellow football fans down here often ask me how Hibs are doing, 'x points clear at the top and progressing in the Scottish Cup' is my usual reply. It sounds pretty good and healthy to them. They are probably a little mystified why Hibs fans in some numbers appear not happy. My answer would be that it's probably through all the hurt and mismanagement in the past, it has been hard to let go and forget.

I think it is well overdue now though. Time to go forwards.
    . Excellent post Stu. The real importance of this season to get promoted has taken its toll on the psyche of even the hardiest of fans, on another thread people mentioned wives commenting on husbands obsession being more extreme, dropping points at home has frustrated many along the way and brought out the reactionary turgid line, myself included. Wednesday gives us the opportunity to get closer to what we all want, I'll accept any kind of win, please.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy 'O' Hibee View Post
    . Excellent post Stu. The real importance of this season to get promoted has taken its toll on the psyche of even the hardiest of fans, on another thread people mentioned wives commenting on husbands obsession being more extreme, dropping points at home has frustrated many along the way and brought out the reactionary turgid line, myself included. Wednesday gives us the opportunity to get closer to what we all want, I'll accept any kind of win, please.
    Yup, the stakes are so high it's messing with us all to an extent I think; go up and we're in our strongest position for 40 years potentially, don't go up and potential downsizing with long lasting effect.

GoGO Back To Forum