Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1925 Post(s)
    vCash

Cup vs league

Lenny says league - obviously thats the right thing to say....or why not both.

...but....

May again though - another parade - more heroes - another summer feeling ten feet tall...is the champs so bad - we win more than we lose?
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

...but....

May again though - another parade - more heroes - another summer feeling ten football...is the champs so bad - we win more than we lose?
    I know I shall never experience the emotions I felt on 21st. May 2016. For me, it has to be the League.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    League, cups a distraction.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)
    vCash
    League for me! Cup will take care of its self and we have done ourselves proud in defending it getting to at least a 3rd consecutive semi

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    Both obviously.

But when push comes to shove, its got to be the league. We can win the cup any year but getting out of this league is now becoming vital.

I get the argument that we are hardly entering the most glamorous league in the world by getting back up, but I'd counter that by saying it is a financially richer one that will allow us to improve our squad and improve the football we all pay to watch. Also, there is a better chance for European football in the top league.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    In fifty years time, I'll probably have rather seen us win the cup again this year. We've only won three in our history, we can hardly afford to turn them down.

Having said that, in the moment, it has to be promotion. I can't stomach the thought of playing more league football against Dumbarton et al next season. The cup win last season helped to turn the prospect of a third season down here into (something) of a positive, it wouldn't be the same again this year. It would be a very, very weird feeling to win the cup and not go up.

League this year. Cup almost any other year. Once we're back in the top flight I'd take a bottom half finish and the Scottish Cup any day of the week. Who cares about 5th or 8th in the long run?

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    League.

Pumping the Gunts out of the Cup was hilarious, and it was important that we put them back in their box again, but much as I will enjoy making the annual trek to Hampden hoping for victory again, the League is the crucial one to win.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    100% cup with no hesitation or doubt.

I don't actually mind this league.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post

100% cup win with no hesitation or doubt.

But I $#@!in hate us being in this league!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1925 Post(s)
    vCash
    Surprised its so cut and dried with everyone...

I get we NEED to get out of the league - yup for sure - but - 3 cups in my lifetime, I would take another at the drop of a hat - back-to-back would be pretty special too... a cup won would be talked and remised over more than a 2nd tier league win.

but but - we would get back into FIFA18 ... oooh ....torn

Both it is then

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    306 Post(s)
    vCash
    We took the cup in style last year and it was a big distraction from being in the Championship for a 3rd season. If we were to stay down another year the consequences could roll on for years. We might have a good squad at the moment but can you see the Likes of Cummings, McGinn, Fyfie or even Hanlon wanting to play there much longer. Already we have had to rely on EX Celts pulling in a few favours to get in players, dread to think what we will have going forward in that league.

Attendances, no chance of continuing to pull in those numbers playing Ayr and the likes if that was us doomed to stay there. Other teams continue to strengthen in Championship due to increased revenue from Hibs etc being there. We have already toiled to beat them and falied when the big games come round.

Has to be the league or both.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2461 Post(s)
    vCash
    We have to win the league this year...we don't have to win the cup.
    It's as simple as that.
    I'm confident Hibs will win the Scottish Cup again in the next few years anyway (hopefully this year again), but for our clubs future prospects we really do need to be back in the top league and to stay there for evermore. A club like Hibs should never be anywhere near relegation. Once we are back up we can start to grow again as a club. We cannot grow in the Scottish Championship as is evident by the reduced budgets for players we have seen in the consecutive seasons we have been down here. The Scottish Cup win was manna from Heaven in that it gave the club a massive buffer financially to offset the failure to get promoted again last season and also in terms of a feel-good factor with the supporters. Hibs belong in the top half of the top league in Scotland and it will be nothing short of a disaster if we don't get back up this season.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    When I'm just about to meet Joe Baker and Gordon Smith, I'd be much happier with 'two in a row, here we go!' going thru my addled mind than 'championship winners 2017.'

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash

...but....

May again though - another parade - more heroes - another summer feeling ten feet tall...is the champs so bad - we win more than we lose?
    At the moment but if we fail to get promoted it will be bye bye to Cummings and Super John and possibly McGregor at the very least and for less than they are worth because we play in the championship. Season ticket sales will dwindle and a downward spiral will commence at an alarming rate. We have to win the league this year. I would like the cup as well but the league is more important for the livelihood of the club as a whole.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1611 Post(s)
    vCash
    having now experienced it, I would take winning the Scottish Cup over winning this division every time

we are in a terrible division, but we are in a far worse league. The difference, for me, between this division, and the one above, is two european places up for grabs.
    We have been to two National Cup Finals whilst being in this division, we won the best one, and had the celebratory weekend of a lifetime. You dont get that for coming in 2nd or 3rd in the SPL, or any ither division.

Here we go, 2 in a row

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    League for me as like others I fear a downward spiral of we don't go up this time.

While they are not barcelona I also think Celtic would have too much in their armoury for us or anyone. Our realistic chance of winning the cup is still alive - sevco beating them in the unique context of that fixture - but I think a cup win is not likely and belongs in its proper place as a potential dream event after regular business is dealt with.

- - - Updated - - -

That said I think the 'focus' question is gone. The semi is so late in the calendar that the league will either be dealt with or we need to win for purposes of morale on the last lap. I think split focus is now less of an Issue as result. Avoiding a replay with Ayr was vital; Job done.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerhibby View Post
    having now experienced it, I would take winning the Scottish Cup over winning this division every timewe are in a terrible division, but we are in a far worse league. The difference, for me, between this division, and the one above, is two european places up for grabs.We have been to two National Cup Finals whilst being in this division, we won the best one, and had the celebratory weekend of a lifetime. You dont get that for coming in 2nd or 3rd in the SPL, or any ither division.Here we go, 2 in a row
    You do not understand which really surprises me. If we don't go up this year it will commence the downward spiral financially and crowds of 5-6,000 and any chance of cup wins will disappear over the horizon. Yes it is a crap league but the difference in the financial rewards between the championship and premier are not to be mocked.
    "history is the foundation upon which the future is built"

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)
    vCash
    Scottish Cup for me, the game is about glory, said the same last season during the same debate.

lots of folk said back then they would take promotion over a 2016 cup win, assume they have changed their minds

not convinced season ticket sales or crowds would drop dramatically if do we retain the Scottish Cup and play in championship next season.
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    lots of folk said back then they would take promotion over a 2016 cup win, assume they have changed their minds
    Reading thru this and other similar threads, I actually think some wouldn't have changed their minds!

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    We took the cup in style last year and it was a big distraction from being in the Championship for a 3rd season. If we were to stay down another year the consequences could roll on for years. We might have a good squad at the moment but can you see the Likes of Cummings, McGinn, Fyfie or even Hanlon wanting to play there much longer. Already we have had to rely on EX Celts pulling in a few favours to get in players, dread to think what we will have going forward in that league.

Attendances, no chance of continuing to pull in those numbers playing Ayr and the likes if that was us doomed to stay there. Other teams continue to strengthen in Championship due to increased revenue from Hibs etc being there. We have already toiled to beat them and falied when the big games come round.

Has to be the league or both.
    That probably decided league for me...though I was very tempted to say cup

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eckmf View Post
    You do not understand which really surprises me. If we don't go up this year it will commence the downward spiral financially and crowds of 5-6,000 and any chance of cup wins will disappear over the horizon. Yes it is a crap league but the difference in the financial rewards between the championship and premier are not to be mocked.
    You seriously suggesting back to back Scottish Cup wins would see crowds plummet by 70%?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1925 Post(s)
    vCash
    I can see both sides

but season number two after we get up will see crowds drop, folk come to easter road to see us score goals and win games, the glory. That won't happen so much in the big league....hope i'm wrong

winning cups is glory.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3343 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest View Post
    We might have a good squad at the moment but can you see the Likes of Cummings, McGinn, Fyfie or even Hanlon wanting to play there much longer. Already we have had to rely on EX Celts pulling in a few favours to get in players, dread to think what we will have going forward in that league.
    See, this is a crucial point for me that folk seem to be glossing over when asserting a cup win over a league win. (Although we've arguably had some worse squads BEFORE we were relegated )

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Scottish Cup for me, the game is about glory, said the same last season during the same debate.

not convinced season ticket sales or crowds would drop dramatically if do we retain the Scottish Cup and play in championship next season.
    Reading thru this and other similar threads, I actually think some wouldn't have changed their minds!
    Was kind of a unique case last year - anyone who wouldn't have sacrificed the league for our first grail in 114 years wants committed, imo! However, this year is different.

I'm surprised you think crowds wouldn't drop - I don't think quite as dramatically as some have suggested, at first, but I'm pretty sure they'd drop significantly not least because of the above stated reason: there's no way we're going to be able to continue to attract and/or retain the relative quality of squad that we have done based on the premise of an imminent return to the top division. Fail to get promoted, presumably at the expense of DUFC, and say Falkirk win the playoffs, then what's our biggest fixture next year? Morton? Hamilton? I'm also not sure if I can hack the officiating down here much longer! Furthermore, I want us to develop as a club - I don't see any reason whatsoever that we can't be looking to take the mantle currently occupied by Aberdeen. I want to see crowds get bigger, not stay the same, or - more likely - diminish gradually.

I want it all - I want to win both the league and cup this year. I resent being asked to choose! No-one doesn't want to win the cup, the question is vritually moot. But on balance, we will be in a better position to win it many more times in the future if we restore ourselves to our rightful position near the top of the Scottish game. So with a gun to my head, and assuming it had to be one or the other, then this year: league.

(By the way, with the above in mind, are we discounting going up via the playoffs? If "winning the cup and going up via the playoffs" was an option, that would be a no-brainer, right?)
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)
    vCash
    I want both. We deserve both. We'll get both.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    You seriously suggesting back to back Scottish Cup wins would see crowds plummet by 70%?
    And do you honestly think that staying down for another season albeit with a cup win would see us reap financial rewards equalled to being in the premiership I know of countless folk who are holding off renewing to ensure promotion has been achieved. I want to be realistic, I would love another cup win but not at the expense of promotion which is paramount,we cannot keep up the standards we have down here and are looking at a slippery slope if we stay down.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    306 Post(s)
    vCash
    Although it is a strong possibility that crowds will start to fall after a couple seasons in the top flight, I really can't see it happening as rapid as it would staying in the championship. There has been a lot of hard work put in by Hibs and various groups to start pushing ST's and walk ups and it's showing, momentum is key to keep pushing and retaining these numbers. It leaves a wrenching feeling that a club like Hibs is viewed as not being able to sustain the 14k+ attendences of late.

Get up with the nucleus of the team we have in place along with a few much needed additions, bring on the SPFL. 4 in a row is a no-go.

Micro$oft Hating Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    741 Post(s)
    vCash
    There's no reason why we can't get both. We beat Dundee Utd on Friday and the league landscape changes significantly and our title win becomes ever more likely. By the time the semi final is played, we should have the title pretty much done and dusted and we can go to the semi well up for it.
    Charlie don't surf !

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    And do you honestly think that staying down for another season albeit with a cup win would see us reap financial rewards equalled to being in the premiership I know of countless folk who are holding off renewing to ensure promotion has been achieved. I want to be realistic, I would love another cup win but not at the expense of promotion which is paramount,we cannot keep up the standards we have down here and are looking at a slippery slope if we stay down.
    We stayed down last season but had unprecedented growth in attendances.

I assume you are saying that had SFA to do with winning the Scottish Cup?

Of course we want promoted. Of course we want to be in the division we should be in.

Interesting to read Derek McCinnes Sheep manager saying he'd take the Scottish Cup over 2nd place in the top division.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    We stayed down last season but had unprecedented growth in attendances.

I assume you are saying that had SFA to do with winning the Scottish Cup?

Of course we want promoted. Of course we want to be in the division we should be in.

Interesting to read Derek McCinnes Sheep manager saying he'd take the Scottish Cup over 2nd place in the top division.
    Could anyone disagree with McInnes? SC gets you a european place as well as a major trophy - why would anyone pick 2nd over that? To be honest, only fears for the financial future and the associated business of keeping a decent team together, makes me prioritise promotion. Were it not for that I'd be with Southfield and Gunner's logic.

The league's are not that different other than the opportunity to get massacred by Celtic. I couldn't give a $#@! if we never played the huns again, and a more periodic interval between derby's suits me fine as well - makes them more special, especially as we boss them.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2465 Post(s)
    vCash
    I can see both sides

but season number two after we get up will see crowds drop, folk come to easter road to see us score goals and win games, the glory. That won't happen so much in the big league....hope i'm wrong

winning cups is glory.
    I think we will score goals next season as teams wont come and play 10 behind the baw and hope for a breakaway. Wid love tae win the cup again though.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    Could anyone disagree with McInnes? SC gets you a european place as well as a major trophy - why would anyone pick 2nd over that? To be honest, only fears for the financial future and the associated business of keeping a decent team together, makes me prioritise promotion. Were it not for that I'd be with Southfield and Gunner's logic.

The league's are not that different other than the opportunity to get massacred by Celtic. I couldn't give a $#@! if we never played the huns again, and a more periodic interval between derby's suits me fine as well - makes them more special, especially as we boss them.
    I couldn't.

In the summer when the season is over if the scenario is Hibs Scottish Cup holders still or promoted it's the former EVERY time.

Though of course both would be nice....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash
    My heart says cup but ma heid says league. I think we could do well in the cup if results go for us but it's the potential COST to our league prospects that worry me. Having said that there should be nothing to stop us pushing Aberdeen all the way. I was at the SC final against Celtic and whilst the Smellies would be favourites this time I don't think we laid down against them exactly, but they hardly seemed to get out of second gear. I suppose we have to admit the consequences of staying down again are huge and arguably we wouldn't recover even with a cup win under our belts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    vCash
    LEAGUE, LEAGUE and LEAGUE again.

Anyone placing the cup before the league this season obviously does not realise the horrible implications of Hibs playing a 4th season in this horrible league.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    I don't see why we can't give the cup a good doin'.

But anyone that can't see staying in this division is financial suicide needs a reality check/cheque!

ST numbers are way up this season on the back of the cup win but the newbies and more will disappear like snaw aff a dyke ;-) if we're here any longer.

I see where a few are saying 'We are Hibbies and this is what we do' but the truth of the matter is a couple of seasons ago 4,000 didn't and I doubt they will much longer without continuing success.
    Space to let

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    vCash
    Surprised its so cut and dried with everyone...

I get we NEED to get out of the league - yup for sure - but - 3 cups in my lifetime, I would take another at the drop of a hat - back-to-back would be pretty special too... a cup won would be talked and remised over more than a 2nd tier league win.

but but - we would get back into FIFA18 ... oooh ....torn

Both it is then
    I need hibs back in fifa!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1337 View Post
    LEAGUE, LEAGUE and LEAGUE again.

Anyone placing the cup before the league this season obviously does not realise the horrible implications of Hibs playing a 4th season in this horrible league.

Anyone placing top tier mediocrity before winning the Scottish Cup is more a bean counting bore than a football fan.

See, there's a condescending answer to both points of view.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

ST numbers are way up this season on the back of the cup win but the newbies and more will disappear like snaw aff a dyke ;-) if we're here any longer.
    In terms of this thread you've just hugely contradicted yourself.

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

I dinnae hate the league, I $#@!ing detest that we've been in it for 3 years having been kept down by a pair of cheating **** clubs.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    We stayed down last season but had unprecedented growth in attendances.I assume you are saying that had SFA to do with winning the Scottish Cup?Of course we want promoted. Of course we want to be in the division we should be in. Interesting to read Derek McCinnes Sheep manager saying he'd take the Scottish Cup over 2nd place in the top division.
    Easier to say when you have the green folded and safe in your pocket for being in the top flight compared to what is received for being in the championship

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    In terms of this thread you've just hugely contradicted yourself.
    I appreciate that but think it's a razor edge that's too close to call.

Failure to gain promotion doesn't bare thinking about.

While I think the club has built up a reasonable reserve this season being in this division is unsustainable at the level we all want to be.

Will we hold on to the players that make us more exciting? Would we be able to attract above average players that can get us out this division? We haven't so far. Will the increased crowds be maintained while we toil in a mediocre second division?

Forget any thoughts we are a top team in the wrong division. A fourth season down here would confirm we are a second division team.

Do you honestly think that wouldn't result in an Easter Road crowd that could fit in one stand?
    Space to let

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    vCash
    Anyone placing top tier mediocrity before winning the Scottish Cup is more a bean counting bore than a football fan.See, there's a condescending answer to both points of view.
    My response to the thread wasn't meant to be condescending, if that's what your alluding too?I want Hibs to be in the SPL for a number of reasons, primarily financial and the sustainability of our club. Secondly, we should be playing in the top flight, status, quality of opposition etc, is that not where one of the biggest clubs in Scotland should be ?All about opinions, league for me everyday of the week now, why? Cause we won the cup and need to get out this division.

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1500 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought this was a no brainer before I clicked on the thread to open it - league.

But having read the arguments, I'm cup every time. I was on the pitch in 99, and 2016 was approximately a hundred million miles better.

Same again this year please, two in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerhibby View Post
    having now experienced it, I would take winning the Scottish Cup over winning this division every time

we are in a terrible division, but we are in a far worse league. The difference, for me, between this division, and the one above, is two european places up for grabs.
    We have been to two National Cup Finals whilst being in this division, we won the best one, and had the celebratory weekend of a lifetime. You dont get that for coming in 2nd or 3rd in the SPL, or any ither division.

Here we go, 2 in a row

Scottish no british, ya radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    vCash
    Loved the cup win, best day ever supporting Hibs and with a great bunch of lads, what a weekend and I dinnae think anything will ever top it. Winning again would be great and if that happens i'm sure it'll be another great occasion but I feel we have tae get out of this league so I'd have tae put that first.

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1611 Post(s)
    vCash
    ST prices have been, more or less, the same since we came into this division. Thats the revenue Hibs bank on. The Cups have been big earners for Hibs over the last 2-3 seasons.
    Away games dont come into it, and apart from The Scum Firm, Gunts, Dons, the other 8 SPL teams would probably equal what the Ch teams bring to ER(wouldn't be much in it either way).

The question I believe was, for this season, league or cup? I still say Cup, every time. The finances of a season will sort themselves out, thats Petries job.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    420 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cup for me. Sadly, Cups are all that's been on offer for non rantic teams for the last 32 years and I see no likelihood of that changing in the next 15 at least. In 10 years time after maybe a sniff of 2nd place once and a couple 3rd places, but more realistically 5 or 6 bottom half finishes and at least one serious threat of relegation, we will be as financially precarious as we'd be in we stay in the championship for another year.

Cummings and McGinn are almost certain to leave in the summer if we go up anyway so I don't understand the posts that worry about them leaving if we stay down. indeed it could be argued they are more likely to head along the M8 if we go up. In case folk didn't notice we weren't able to attract any real notable signings in the last 8 or 9 years of our top flight history so I canny really see that changing. Season tickets for the first year will remain high but if we go up and end up finishing in the bottom 6 then I can quickly see them going back toward the 8 thousand mark. As someone else said the fan numbers outside the ugly sisters and the gunts are on a par with what turn up in the championship.

Of course it is embarrassing that we could possibly be stuck for 4 years in the 2nd division but apart from the 2000-2001 season life in the top league has been pretty $#@!e for Hibs, and we still ended that year finishing 3rd and having a really weak bank balance. Winning the Cup again won't be quite as amazing as winning it last year but seen as how we'll have beaten the gunts, the dons and humbled either Celtic or Rangers, against all odds, then it will still be $#@!ing fantastic!

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4651 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vasco de gama View Post
    Cup for me. Sadly, Cups are all that's been on offer for non rantic teams for the last 32 years and I see no likelihood of that changing in the next 15 at least. In 10 years time after maybe a sniff of 2nd place once and a couple 3rd places, but more realistically 5 or 6 bottom half finishes and at least one serious threat of relegation, we will be as financially precarious as we'd be in we stay in the championship for another year.Cummings and McGinn are almost certain to leave in the summer if we go up anyway so I don't understand the posts that worry about them leaving if we stay down. indeed it could be argued they are more likely to head along the M8 if we go up. In case folk didn't notice we weren't able to attract any real notable signings in the last 8 or 9 years of our top flight history so I canny really see that changing. Season tickets for the first year will remain high but if we go up and end up finishing in the bottom 6 then I can quickly see them going back toward the 8 thousand mark. As someone else said the fan numbers outside the ugly sisters and the gunts are on a par with what turn up in the championship. Of course it is embarrassing that we could possibly be stuck for 4 years in the 2nd division but apart from the 2000-2001 season life in the top league has been pretty $#@!e for Hibs, and we still ended that year finishing 3rd and having a really weak bank balance. Winning the Cup again won't be quite as amazing as winning it last year but seen as how we'll have beaten the gunts, the dons and humbled either Celtic or Rangers, against all odds, then it will still be $#@!ing fantastic!
    Good post. 👏👏

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cup for me. Sadly, Cups are all that's been on offer for non rantic teams for the last 32 years and I see no likelihood of that changing in the next 15 at least. In 10 years time after maybe a sniff of 2nd place once and a couple 3rd places, but more realistically 5 or 6 bottom half finishes and at least one serious threat of relegation, we will be as financially precarious as we'd be in we stay in the championship for another year.

Cummings and McGinn are almost certain to leave in the summer if we go up anyway so I don't understand the posts that worry about them leaving if we stay down. indeed it could be argued they are more likely to head along the M8 if we go up. In case folk didn't notice we weren't able to attract any real notable signings in the last 8 or 9 years of our top flight history so I canny really see that changing. Season tickets for the first year will remain high but if we go up and end up finishing in the bottom 6 then I can quickly see them going back toward the 8 thousand mark. As someone else said the fan numbers outside the ugly sisters and the gunts are on a par with what turn up in the championship.

Of course it is embarrassing that we could possibly be stuck for 4 years in the 2nd division but apart from the 2000-2001 season life in the top league has been pretty $#@!e for Hibs, and we still ended that year finishing 3rd and having a really weak bank balance. Winning the Cup again won't be quite as amazing as winning it last year but seen as how we'll have beaten the gunts, the dons and humbled either Celtic or Rangers, against all odds, then it will still be $#@!ing fantastic!
    Excellent post.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3343 Post(s)
    vCash

a) Why are Cummings and McGinn "almost certain to leave if we go up"?

b) If the Gunts can maintain that level of crowd, why can't we?

c) Why, as appears to be the case, is your confident prediction that we'll return/regress to being the club of the ten years previous to relegation? Has nothing/no one at the club changed for the better, in your qualified opinion?

I'm sorry, but while @Smurf and @Wannabehibee are in your camp, I think that's a lot of defeatist $#@!e. I find it baffling the amount of folk who sound like they'd actually RATHER stay in this fcukin league than go up and actually have a bash at getting bigger and better as a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2461 Post(s)
    vCash
    Our ambition as a club once we are promoted to the league we must always be in as the joint third biggest club in Scotland, is to replace Aberdeen as the biggest "challengers" to Celtic. IMO Hibs should aim for no less...ever. I repeat once again Hibs will shrink as a club the longer we stay in this league. The costs of running a club the size of Hibernian with all the overheads, infrastructure we have with a top range Training Centre at East Mains, plus staff costs etc cannot be sustained whilst we continue to be in the Scottish Championship. Sponsor money, TV money etc is in the top league and our ability to attract players of quality to come to play for Hibs will be much better if we are in the top league with derbies to play and matches against the Old Firm and Aberdeen. Our players will also be higher valued in the transfer market in the top league. The longer Hibs are in the Scottish Championship we will end up sinking and becoming a club like Dunfermline...a once great club reduced to a rump and stationed permanently in the second tier of the Scottish game with maybe a promotion every six or seven years if we are lucky.

I will never accept the above scenario for Hibernian. As far as I am concerned Hibs are as big if not bigger a Scottish institution as Hearts or Aberdeen and they should always be up there with them and aim to be better than them. I cannot understand for the life of me how genuine Hibs supporters can ever accept this great pioneering club playing in this league. Hibs will win cups again but we must get out of this league now. Celtic by their sheer size, support base and buying power will dominate the game in Scotland for years to come. The Rangers will eventually challenge them again but it's going to take several years for that to happen. Hibs have everything in place to be great again...Aberdeen and Hearts don't, and as I say the Rangers will take a long time to get to the level they were years ago in their old guise under Murray and Smith ( I know they cheated and escaped proper punishment). Hibs can grow and become a club with 12 and eventually up to 15,000 regulars at Easter Road IMO and be recognised as we always should be...the main club in Scotland outside the Old Firm. I'm ambitious for this club to be the best it can be and to fulfil it's true potential. Now is the time to realise that potential. We will not however realise that potential whilst we are in this sorry mess of a league. Three years running for god's sake...a bloody embarrasment being relegated into this league in 2014 and it should never have been allowed to happen. Promotion and a league win all the way for me this season. The cup will come again once we are up.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    a) Why are Cummings and McGinn "almost certain to leave if we go up"?

b) If the Gunts can maintain that level of crowd, why can't we?

c) Why, as appears to be the case, is your confident prediction that we'll return/regress to being the club of the ten years previous to relegation? Has nothing/no one at the club changed for the better, in your qualified opinion?

I'm sorry, but while @Smurf and @Wannabehibee are in your camp, I think that's a lot of defeatist $#@!e. I find it baffling the amount of folk who sound like they'd actually RATHER stay in this fcukin league than go up and actually have a bash at getting bigger and better as a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    im in your camp for this one. we need out this league sooner rather than later

GoGO Back To Forum