Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and we ground out a good result....

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5531 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and we ground out a good result....

Well when I say just back, I had actually written it and lost the lot and had to start again. The day started with massive queues to get in. Why? Well Falkirk open 4 turnstiles for over 2000 Hibs fans, one of which was only working intermitently, causing delays of 25 minutes to get in.

I have to say, I cannae work Falkirk out, most of the game the ball is played at 20 feet above the heads of the players, hoofs, blooters, humps, scuds, long throws and over hit crosses. They then actually allow fitba to break out and stroke it nicely along the pitch for a few minutes. One thing, they are not a patch on last season.

A welcome site was John McGinn warming up before kick off. Not in the squad but a heartening sight (Or so I am told, I was still queuing outside).

Hibs, well I struggle to understand how we set up. Same team as last week, which is no surprise but first half only a few of our players looked interested/ fit/ up for it/ bothered. I thought Stevenson, McGregor, Martin and Cummings offered most first half. A wee word for the goalie too, he made two great saves before they scored and was let down badly by his fellow defenders during the scramble that ensued.

Second half we did play a bit more football, Gray and Stevenson pushed forward, as did Shinnie. We got even better when the fast and direct Boyle replaced Jason. The decision was booed by Hibs fans, me included as the performances of Commons, Holt and Shinnie in particular meant they should have been hooked. I suppose Lennon can defend his decision by Boyles influence and the fact we went on to win. Lennon certainly knew the Hibs fans were very unhappy and jogged over to the Hibs end to applaud the fans. I reckon he knows people are not sure about him and his team?

The Team

I thought Laidlaw was strong, efficient and very unlucky at their goal. If I was being picky, I would prefer he put his laces through the ball at clearances.

Stevenson played very well today and got up and down the line all game, sticking in a couple of good crosses too.

McGregor strolled through teh game, only clattering when needed. He did look suspect at their goal, indeed the back line let the goalie down.

Hanlon had another good game, although again he was poor at the goal and made a Paul Hanlon of five years ago error near rhe end which he quickly sorted.

Gray too got up and down the line, but failed both to go past players and to get a good ball in too often.

Scott Martin was quietly effiencient all game, I was impressed with his workrate and strength.

Dylan drifted in and out all game, when in he is sublime, when out he is reported missing. Still lovely to see such a fitba craftsman in a Hibs shirt every week.

Shinnie was a wet blanket first half but improved second as he pushed and prodded forward. A bit of enigma for me.

Kris Commons offered almost nothing for at least 60 minutes, I expected him to be swapped for Boyle or Keats. He then goes and scores a stoating 18 yard freekick, which he had earned himself after a good Hibs move. What a stoatir, it was unsaveable. I pictured that wee fandan Houstons boil of a heed bursting in rage as the ball rippled in the net.

Grant Holt was a nuisance all game, without really doing very much but poor knock downs and getting us the odd foul.

Jase scored a fine goal after a lovely pass from Commons, and looked lively and likely to score again. Lennon took him off.

The Subs

Well as I mentioned above, Boyle came on for Cummings, Hibs fans went mental as Jase genuinely looked most likely to score. A pity and the Boyler did really make a difference, his pace, ability to press down on players and pace made him a pest. It also gave Hibs the advantage and our tails were up the last 10 minutes.

Graham replaced Holt with 7 or so to go and got involved, he also really looked like he enjoyed the winning goal. I like that.

Forster replaced Commons in the last minute as Hibs looked to secure the win and did what he was asked.

The referee was poor, some rotten decisions not helped by the idiot savant of a non stand side linesman, who got a couple of hibs offsides and a corner completely wrong.

Not much to say about Falkirk, Morton and Raith are better than them and you would need a neck brace to watch the hoofball every week. Goalscorer Sibbald is a handful though.

My man of the match was easy, I thought young Scott Martin was quietly excellent today.

So, we are top of the league after United lost at Dumbarton for a second time this season. I reckon with a couple of decent signings we can move away from them, the key being to beat them at the Holy Ground next Friday night, should be a cracker.

I hope each and every one of you and you families have everything you wish for in 2017.

Shaun McKinley - Live Forever!

GGTTH
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    vCash
    Some of the decisions by THAT linesman were unbelievable!

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good accurate report. I would like to see Scott Martin be a little more positive at times but I'm sure that will come as he gains experience.
    A good 3 pts . Did chuckle as Lennon raced over .Have a guid New year.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2194 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for report mark.

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for another year of 'Just Backs' Mark!

Happy New Year when it comes, Hibbies.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    vCash
    Anyone have a better view than me, of Graham's goal. Was given offside, but I thought it was a square pass!0

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have a better view than me, of Graham's goal. Was given offside, but I thought it was a square pass!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for another year of sterling service to your audience M.

Great report, great result...hopefully great performances will resume when super and Fyvie return!

Nutty Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thought stevenson played well and his crossing was better .
    Surprised Shinnie wasn't hooked keatings or Boyle could have replaced him .
    Regarding cummings baffling decision by Lennon Christ knows what laddie has done to him.

'Good Evening - We Are The Fall Radge'

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well when I say just back, I had actually written it and lost the lot and had to start again. The day started with massive queues to get in. Why? Well Falkirk open 4 turnstiles for over 2000 Hibs fans, one of which was only working intermitently, causing delays of 25 minutes to get in.

I have to say, I cannae work Falkirk out, most of the game the ball is played at 20 feet above the heads of the players, hoofs, blooters, humps, scuds, long throws and over hit crosses. They then actually allow fitba to break out and stroke it nicely along the pitch for a few minutes. One thing, they are not a patch on last season.

A welcome site was John McGinn warming up before kick off. Not in the squad but a heartening sight (Or so I am told, I was still queuing outside).

Hibs, well I struggle to understand how we set up too. Same team as last week, which is no surprise but first half only a few of our players looked interested/ fit/ up for it/ bothered. I thought Stevenson, McGregor, Martin and Cummings offered most first half. A wrd for the goalie too, ge made two great saves before they scored and was let down badly by his fellow defenders during teh scrabble that ensued.

Second half we did play a bit more football, Gray and Stevenson pushed forward, as did Shinnie. We got even better when the fast and direct Boyle replaced Jason. The decision was booed by Hibs fans, me included as the perfomances of Commons, Holt and Shinnie in particular meant they should have been hooked. I suppose Lennon can defend his decision by Boyles influence and the fact we went on to win. Lennon certainly knew the Hibs fans were very unhappy and jogged over to the Hibs end to applaud teh fans. Ireckon he knows people are not sure about him and his team?

The Team

I thought Laidlaw was strong, efficient and very unlucky at their goal. If I was being picky, I would prefer he put his laces through the ball at clearances.

Stevenson played very well today and got up and down the line all game, sticking in a couple of good crosses too.

McGregor strolled through teh game, only clattering when needed. He did look suspect at their goal, indeed the back line let the goalie down.

Hanlon had another good game, although again he was poor at the goal and made a Paul Hanlon of five years ago error near rhe end which he quickly sorted.

Gray too got up and down the line, but failed both to go past players and to get a good ball in too often.

Scott Martin was quietly effiencient all game, I was impressed with his workrate and strength.

Dylan drifted in and out all game, when in he is sublime, when out he is reported missing. Still lovely to see such a fitba craftsman in a Hibs shirt every week.

Shinnie was a wet blanket first half but improved second as he pushed and prodded forward. A bit of enigma for me.

Kris Commons offered almost nothing for at least 60 minutes, I expected him to be swapped for Boyle or Keats. He then goes and scores a stoating 18 yard freekick, which he had earned himself after a good Hibs move. What a stoatir, it was unsaveable. I pictured that wee fandan Houstons boil of a heed bursting in rage as the ball rippled in the net.

Grant Holt was a nuisance all game, without really doing very much but poor knock downs and getting us the odd foul.

Jase scored a fine goal after a lovely pass from Commons, and looked lively and likely to score again. Lennon took him off.

The Subs

Well as I mentioned above, Boyle came on for Cummings, Hibs fans went mental as Jase genuinely looked most likely to score. A pity and the Boyler did really make a difference, his pace, ability to press down on players and pace made him a pest. It also gave Hibs the advantage and our tails were up the last 10 minutes.

Graham replaced Holt with 7 or so to go and got involved, he also really looked like he enjoyed the winning goal. I like that.

Forster replaced Commons in the last minute as Hibs looked to secure the win and did what he was asked.

The referee was poor, some rotten decisions not helped by the idiot savant of a non stand side linesman, who got a couple of hibs offsides and a corner completely wrong.

Not much to say about Falkirk, Morton and Raith are better than them and you would need a neck brace to watch the hoofball every week. Goalscorer Sibbald is a handful though.

My man of the match was easy, I thought young Scott Martin was quietly excellent today.

So, we are top of the league after United lost at Dumbarton for a second time this season. I reckon with a couple of decent signings we can move away from them, the key being to beat them at the Holy Ground next Friday night, should be a cracker.

I hope each and every one of you and you families have everything you wish for in 2017.

GGTTH
    Cheers Mark. Good to have a chat before the game today. Have a great New Year

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks Mark, your reports are a great read. It's sad in someway to be leaving 2016 the year of the great cup win. Hopefully 2017 will be the time for promotion. Have a great new yer

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westsidehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought stevenson played well and his crossing was better .
    Surprised Shinnie wasn't hooked keatings or Boyle could have replaced him .
    Regarding cummings baffling decision by Lennon Christ knows what laddie has done to him.
    Wasn't at the game today so I'm speculating based on mark's reports and other games.

Commons created both goals (and scored one) while not playing well. Sounds like Holt didn't have a great game but when he is off the pitch our attack usually breaks down before it gets anywhere. Sounds like Boyle make a positive impact when he came on.

Add all that up and Jason's substitution makes sense. He rarely creates opportunities and until we have players creating for him more regularly I think Lennon is right to go for people who make chances happen. I learned a bit of a lesson with Malonga who I didn't rate until I realised what we'd lost once he was gone. holt plays a similar role to him (minus the goals, but with higher work rate ).

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4204 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thank for this and all your other 2016 Just Backs.

I look forward to reading many more in 2017.

Enjoy yourselves fellow Bouncers.
    Space to let

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    vCash
    Big thanks from here too. A combination of fixture schedules work and bloody train line works means I've not been up since Nov and won't till Feb so this is a very important resource for me.

Love to all . Have a great night. Back up asap.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report and all of your reports during the Scottish Cup winning year of 2016.
    Grinding out results is what this league is all about I'm afraid and we will have to continue in this vein for the remainder of the season if we are going to win the league. Every team we play will raise their game against us and try to stop us playing. Despite having some of our best players missing for weeks now from our midfield here we are at the turn of the year top of the league. I expect us to trade the top spot with United for a while yet but confident we will come out top come the end of the season.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 01-01-17 at 09:52.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)
    vCash
    Many thanks again for your report Markus, not just today but throughout 2016. It really is appreciated.

Have made the trip through the last few times but couldn't manage today. Delighted we picked up the 3 points, even more so United slipped up.

Massive game at ER next Friday. If you dinny have a ticket already, then get your archibalds to the T.O and help us begin our stride away from our nearest challengers.

It's time to do it Hibs - do it!
    "There's class, there's first class, and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks Mark. Your reports are always very thought provoking for (mostly) absentee Hibees like myself.

I think the attacking threats are beginning to develop nicely in this team. I hope we trust that Neil Lennon knows the way to success.

P

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2194 Post(s)
    vCash

loan watch

Sam Stanton played in the Dumbarton win over united. Insal scored first goal in East Fife 2-1 win over leaders Livingston and Oli Shaw scored in the 97th minute in the 2-4 defeat of Stenny to Alloa

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)
    vCash
    Feel we won a game that last season we would've drew or lost. 3 points is 3 points and we are back at the top so that's all that really matters! Just hope we can win Friday hopefully infront of a packed ER and create a bit of a gap again

GoGO Back To Forum