Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and it was as turgid as we thought it might be.....

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5639 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and it was as turgid as we thought it might be.....

OK, we knew Dumbarton came with a game plan to stifle our play and kick Hibs players. They managed to do both successfully for 44 minutes helped by a coward of a referee and the ongoing strange formations forced on us by Lennon and Parker. We lined up with the usual three centre halfs, two overlapping full backs, a holding midfielder playing 5 feet in front of the 3 centre halfs, one attacking midfielder allowed to play anywhere as long as he want forward, a striker as in behind two further strikers. Generally the system didnae work and the performance had me wiping small dribbles of blood from my eyes for 75 minutes. The Dylan McGeouch came on and Hibs looked like a team willing to drive on and score more goals whilst playing fast attacking football.

I am at a loss as to why a creative midfielder sits on the bench for 75 minutes as the midfielders on the pitch struggled to string a pass together or feed the three strikers. Dylan came on and did just that. I will say I thought Shinnie did try to do this through out the game and at least the guy tries to create opportunities.

It wasn't pretty, but we won and remain top, extending the goal difference and adding a further two points between us and Falkirk.

The Team

Laidlaw looked nervous early doors, punched when he should have caught the ball and got stuck to his line too much. Dumbarton had nothing much to challenge him though.

Gray, winning goal scorer and captain of Hibernian FC on the day we won the cup back in May got up and down the line but his crossing let him down too often. Took a couple of sore ones from the hacking left back from Dumbarton.

Darren McGregor had his usual flawless performance. Hard as nails.

Paul Hanlon had little to do as a backy, but took his goal well and lifted the fans and team.

Liam Fontaine fancied himself as a bit of left midfielder today. It didnae work. Like the green boots though.

Lewis Sevenson also got up and down the line all game but again, couldnae cross a road.

Marvin Bartley did everything asked of him today, before being replaced by Dylan McGeouch.

Shinnie was given man of the match, he did cover a lot of grass today and tries to go forward, take a man on and string a pass together with teammates.

Boyle started at the top of the ehhh, triangle? Graham quickly moved into that position and Boyle pushed forward.Couple of mazies, and a raking good shot. I thought he improved when Dylan came on last 15?

Cummings drifted in and out the game and was robbed of a decent goal when it was suggested Graham was offside when he knocked the header over to Jase. Not sure he was?

Graham takes unfair abuse for me, he plays, he scores, not many Hibs strikers doing that at the moment. He won as many or more knock ons and headers as Holt and enjoyed his very well taken goal.

The Sub

It took Lennon 76 minutes to change the game by bring on Dylan for Marv. Hibs improved almost immediately and I left the ground feeling much happier than I had for the first 76 minutes. Sauzee only knows what Lennon is thinking about.

On to this management team of ours. I felt Lennon and Parker would bring a bit of steel to an already decent squad. They haven't. What they have brought is a boring, defensive lump up the pitch approach to winning the league. If it gets us up, I will accept the pish on show but we really should be giving teams like Dumbarton a bit of a doing. We didnt, we did enough to beat them, nothing more.

I note the crowd, including the 1000 or so extra Hibs Kids and 86 Dumbarton fans was down below 14000 for the first time in the league. Neither wonder, if that is the fare on show.

Dumbarton are cloggers, they came for a draw,lost a goal and had no plan B. Their left back should have carded for his first assault on Gray, yellow or even a straight red. To do it again a few minutes later and only get a yellow was a disgrace. A few Hibs players suffered from Dumbartons robust approach, the hopeless Ref done nothing to deal with it.

Man of the match at the game was given to Shinnie, and I agree. The only alternatives are to give it to Darren or Paul at the back. But Shinnie, whilst a wet blanket showed most in a poor performance.

A game to forget I think?

A wee tale before the game. I had popped down to the Hibs club to collect something.On the way back up the hill at Sunnyside, three elderly Hibs fans asked me if they could cut through Sunnyside to get to the stadium. I explained no that wasn't possible and told them I was surprised they didn't know that, with their local accents. They said they had not been to Easter Road for so long they had forgotten the way!! Its great even older fans are returning to the club, its just a pity that the football on show will probably scare them off for another 50 years!!

Next week its a cauld, roofless Cappielow, a tough one for Hibs and another must win.

See you all behind the goals.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Spot on.

Especially the comments on the management. I'm finding it difficult watching us at the moment.

Last season I felt we had a team that would compete in the top half of the Premiership where we obviously should be.

Sorry but this team would be in a battle at the bottom.

Unless it improves we are not going up.

Lennon is responsible. And he's fast losing us the feel-good factor.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    vCash
    We have good players, our manager is not deploying them properly. He's trying to play a style we don't have the players for. 3 CH's and a defensive midfielder at home continually being played just beggars belief. I really hope he can get folk in during January to suit how he wants to play because that today was eye-bleeding industrial stuff. Only saving grace is that we are top - not kidding myself though - that against any other top 5 team would have been a defeat.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2504 Post(s)
    vCash
    As I said in the other thread, I'm wondering if Dylans still carrying a wee injury and Lennons limiting his game time with all the other injuries? Cannae see any other way that Lennon disnae start with him, especially against $#@!e like Dumbarton today. Thought, as you did, Marv was ok today but he's never gonni send slide rule passes through to the forwards.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge Monthly Contributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    566 Post(s)
    vCash
    It was a difficult watch for a long long time; I said before the game DON'T play Barts in front of a back five and bring on a younger player instead. I thought Barts struggled to be honest and could hear the crunch of that tackle on Gray. A rare foray to Easter Road for me these days sadly; a highlight of the day was appearances by Rocky, Lennon, Shinnie, Gray, McGregor and Cummings. I think they made a disabled boy's day.

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    Awful lot of stewards outside the East today , checking ST , ages , I didn't find it a very welcoming approach tbh. I get it was a Hibs kids day but it didn't add to a very poor match day experience.
    Anyway onto the game , for the first 45 mins I thought Terry Butcher must be back in charge ? Eye bleeding dross and I've calmed doon on the drive home. Hanlons goal saved a large amount of abuse coming from the stands as the half time whistle blew. Boring , unimaginative, a very hard watch for everyone.
    Second half wasn't much better until as M correctly says 75mins when a little bit of football broke out. A game to forget that's for sure.
    Highlights for me where BG worked exceptionally hard at all times , looked to care , others body language suggested to me not enough wanting to do the hard miles. He isn't as clever as Holt but offers a real and genuine goal threat so I say let him keep the shirt.
    Shinnie mom yes I think that's fair.
    The board must back Lennon come January twist or bust , but given what I've been watching lately Mr Petrie will be having some sleepless nights and he wont be the only one.
    Good report as always M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, we knew Dumbarton came with a game plan to stifle our play and kick Hibs players. They managed to do both successfully for 44 minutes helped by a coward of a referee and the ongoing strange formations forced on us by Lennon and Parker. We lined up with the usual three centre halfs, two overlapping full backs, a holding midfielder playing 5 feet in front of the 3 centre halfs, one attacking midfielder allowed to play anywhere as long as he want forward, a striker as in behind two further strikers. Generally the system didnae work and the performance had me wiping small dribbles of blood from my eyes for 75 minutes. The Dylan McGeouch came on and Hibs looked like a team willing to drive on and score more goals whilst playing fast attacking football.

I am at a loss as to why a creative midfielder sits on the bench for 75 minutes as the midfielders on the pitch struggled to string a pass together or feed the three strikers. Dylan came on and did just that. I will say I thought Shinnie did try to do this through out the game and at least the guy tries to create opportunities.

It wasn't pretty, but we won and remain top, extending the goal difference and adding a further two points between us and Falkirk.

The Team

Laidlaw looked nervous early doors, punched when he should have caught the ball and got stuck to his line too much. Dumbarton had nothing much to challenge him though.

Gray, winning goal scorer and captain of Hibernian FC on the day we won the cup back in May got up and down the line but his crossing let him down too often. Took a couple of sore ones from the hacking left back from Dumbarton.

Darren McGregor had his usual flawless performance. Hard as nails.

Paul Hanlon had little to do as a backy, but took his goal well and lifted the fans and team.

Liam Fontaine fancied himself as a bit of left midfielder today. It didnae work. Like the green boots though.

Lewis Sevenson also got up and down the line all game but again, couldnae cross a road.

Marvin Bartley did everything asked of him today, before being replaced by Dylan McGeouch.

Shinnie was given man of the match, he did cover a lot of grass today and tries to go forward, take a man on and string a pass together with teammates.

Boyle started at the top of the ehhh, triangle? Graham quickly moved into that position and Boyle pushed forward.Couple of mazies, and a raking good shot. I thought he improved when Dylan came on last 15?

Cummings drifted in and out the game and was robbed of a decent goal when it was suggested Graham was offside when he knocked the header over to Jase. Not sure he was?

Graham takes unfair abuse for me, he plays, he scores, not many Hibs strikers doing that at the moment. He won as many or more knock ons and headers as Holt and enjoyed his very well taken goal.

The Sub

It took Lennon 76 minutes to change the game by bring on Dylan for Marv. Hibs improved almost immediately and I left the ground feeling much happier than I had for the first 76 minutes. Sauzee only knows what Lennon is thinking about.

On to this management team of ours. I felt Lennon and Parker would bring a bit of steel to an already decent squad. They haven't. What they have brought is a boring, defensive lump up the pitch approach to winning the league. If it gets us up, I will accept the pish on show but we really should be giving teams like Dumbarton a bit of a doing. We didnt, we did enough to beat them, nothing more.

I note the crowd, including the 1000 or so extra Hibs Kids and 86 Dumbarton fans was down below 14000 for the first time in the league. Neither wonder, if that is the fare on show.

Dumbarton are cloggers, they came for a draw,lost a goal and had no plan B. Their left back should have carded for his first assault on Gray, yellow or even a straight red. To do it again a few minutes later and only get a yellow was a disgrace. A few Hibs players suffered from Dumbartons robust approach, the hopeless Ref done nothing to deal with it.

Man of the match at the game was given to Shinnie, and I agree. The only alternatives are to give it to Darren or Paul at the back. But Shinnie, whilst a wet blanket showed most in a poor performance.

A game to forget I think?

A wee tale before the game. I had popped down to the Hibs club to collect something.On the way back up the hill at Sunnyside, three elderly Hibs fans asked me if they could cut through Sunnyside to get to the stadium. I explained no that wasn't possible and told them I was surprised they didn't know that, with their local accents. They said they had not been to Easter Road for so long they had forgotten the way!! Its great even older fans are returning to the club, its just a pity that the football on show will probably scare them off for another 50 years!!

Next week its a cauld, roofless Cappielow, a tough one for Hibs and another must win.

See you all behind the goals.
    As others have suggested I think Lennon is saving McGeough for other games that he might be needed more, the first thing Dylan did when he came on was stretch which might mean nothing but could also mean his dodgy groin is still dodgy?

I think most of us expected that today, I certainly did. We really do lack guile when it's needed to unlock a 9 man defence and I hope to god that Shinie does not get injured, he is the only player that gives us choices regarding creativity, movement and goal threat from midfield in J Mc absence

Nervous Hibs today, nervous Hibs support.
    @1875, you don't care much for Fontaine do you, or so it appears? Personally I think he has been quite steady since he came back into the team and is unsung due to the more prominent, and excellent, Hanlon and McGregor.

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)
    vCash
    Dylan was wrapped in cotton wool in the belief we would win without needing him. Turgid indeed but we got the result.

Absolutely dreadful performance though.
    You
    With McGinn, Fyvie and McGeouch in the team we still lack creativity, pace and flair. Without them we are absolutely $#@!ing $#@!e.

The cup final bubble will be well and truly popped if we don't strengthen in the next window and a piss poor united side are top.

We penny pinched in the summer bringing in mediocrity (that's being generous) hoping it would be enough to stroll a $#@!e league. Very few ****s complained then as they are still wanking themselves silly over the cup final and forgot the same team were $#@!e in the league. Well and truly woken up although plenty want a cup final sub back to solve our problems!!!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2483 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hibs today looked like a team missing three of their most creative players. Cummings was restored to the forward line along with Brian Graham and Martin Boyle. The problem was that without McGinn and Fyvie we lacked the guile and creativity to unlock a very stubborn and defiant 9 man Dumbarton defence. We have depended so much on McGinn and Fyvie this season to provide our midfield drive that when they are not playing it is very noticeable how much less of a threat we are. I wouldn't have started Bartley to be honest, but he did his ball winning job well as usual today. Shinnie is an excellent player who is the only one in our team who looks like he has the invention to make something happen in the last third. Thank god we got that goal just before half-time because the longer that game went on at 0-0 the harder it was going to get for us. Good to see Jason Cummings back and I thought he done quite well and was unlucky to see his goal disallowed for offside.

Winning is all that matters in our situation and we certainly deserved to win what was admittedly a pretty bland spectacle, A pity Ayr United couldn't have taken something off Dundee United today...apparently that was a dire game as well. We have a tricky away match at Morton next Saturday and it's another must win game by hook or by crook. It promises to be a tough one though.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    "we can't keep scrapping around in the last ten minutes of games week after week to successfully defend a single goal - we need to get a second goal to give ourselves more breathing space in games, but at the moment we simply lack enough creativity and goal threat."

I know we did today, but then this is a quote from a Dundee United forum tonight. Familiar though, isn't it?

I have mentioned a week or two back my theory that now Dundee United are winning every week, they may now be encountering the parked buses we've always faced. Their goal scoring rate has certainly plummeted. Assessments of our prospects usually ovelook this. They have lately been walking the kind of wire we have often done in our time in this division. It worked for us for long periods, but as we know it is easy to step to the wrong side of a fine line and quickly lose ground. This is not just about how we do.

We are scoring more and conceding less than Dundee United, as rangers were doing when we were breathing down their necks. If that keeps up, it will count over time.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2203 Post(s)
    vCash
    Wasn't a great game, but we won. If we keep winning and go up I'll be happy, but yes improvements must be made if we do get up.

As to the game, it might have been more enjoyable for me if I wasn't sitting in front of an Arthur Montford wannabe who insisted on giving a runnning commentary and bemoaning every players faults to his student kids, who will no doubt grow up to pi$$ off everyone around them when their older. Thankfully I can get back to the East and he the FF and some normality resumed.

On a side note, it is funny seeing one half of the Proclaimers wait in the queue for tickets and no one barely even notice, when you think of their packed out shows. Nice we are all just one big dysfunctional family

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    "we can't keep scrapping around in the last ten minutes of games week after week to successfully defend a single goal - we need to get a second goal to give ourselves more breathing space in games, but at the moment we simply lack enough creativity and goal threat."

I know we did today, but then this is a quote from a Dundee United forum tonight. Familiar though, isn't it?

I have mentioned a week or two back my theory that now Dundee United are winning every week, they may now be encountering the parked buses we've always faced. Their goal scoring rate has certainly plummeted. Assessments of our prospects usually ovelook this. They have lately been walking the kind of wire we have often done in our time in this division. It worked for us for long periods, but as we know it is easy to step to the wrong side of a fine line and quickly lose ground. This is not just about how we do.

We are scoring more and conceding less than Dundee United, as rangers were doing when we were breathing down their necks. If that keeps up, it will count over time.
    Good point, that quote could easily have been made on here at certain stages in the past 2 seasons, even during our good start to this season. They'll drop points just as we will.
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Bounced Out!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    Good point, that quote could easily have been made on here at certain stages in the past 2 seasons, even during our good start to this season. They'll drop points just as we will.
    It had been said to me by certain people close to Utd and a certain person in Easter Road that we should prevail due to our larger squad.

That doesn't hold any truth now,due to our injuries.

I'd also say that a Certain Mr McKinnon seems to have very very impressive attributes as a coach.

I can't really comment much, as my work commitments and now son's saturday football commitments are still preventing me from watching Hibs, but Lennon is installing $#@! all in the way of my confidence in Hibs taking a step forward, in what i am hearing through friends and what i am reading on here.

Winter window is massively important, but blah blah blah....will we see any decent loans or signings?

Moist bedsheets/moist taxi driver seats.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2203 Post(s)
    vCash
    Also noticed Lennon had 2 subs stripped and ready to come on at 88 mins. What was the point of that? Where we desperate to waste time in case we lost a goal? As it was the ball never went out of play and they never got on...seemed a bit bizarre to me though at the time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    Indeed, their manager will be getting the treatment from defences his Rovers team meted out last year. Wins also bring greater expectation and their fans will turn just as quickly if a couple of defeats come along. I am not negative at all to todays game, I said last year that in this league I would rather see us grind out victories than play fancy passes and get a draw. I have no illusions about Lennon, other than he will do whatever it takes to win the league

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5639 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1337 View Post
    @1875, you don't care much for Fontaine do you, or so it appears? Personally I think he has been quite steady since he came back into the team and is unsung due to the more prominent, and excellent, Hanlon and McGregor.
    Actually I thought we missed him badly when he was out injured. What I don't like about his game is his penchant to wander upfield, trying to take men on and more often than not, losing the ball and leaving us a man down at the back. I also think, for a centre half, his heading of the ball is very poor, especially in the opposition box. Overall though, I like Liam, he clearly enjoys playing for Hibs.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Actually I thought we missed him badly when he was out injured. What I don't like about his game is his penchant to wander upfield, trying to take men on and more often than not, losing the ball and leaving us a man down at the back. I also think, for a centre half, his heading of the ball is very poor, especially in the opposition box. Overall though, I like Liam, he clearly enjoys playing for Hibs.
    Apologies from me then.

I think the main reason he "wanders upfield" is because the opposition sit so far back, especially at ER, and this just creates the space for him to run into.
    He is no Pirlo for sure but he does posses a no bad left foot. Come to think of it, he actually tries to get forward more than some of our midfielders.

Agreed, his ability to head the ball cleanly or direct the ball accurately from his napper let's him down on occasion.

LF is a good steady player imo

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think the main reason he "wanders upfield" is because the opposition sit so far back, especially at ER, and this just creates the space for him to run into.
    IMO the reason he keeps wandering up the field is because apart from shinnie just now no one else wants the ball so if shinnies not an option he either goes a run or hits and hopes we get something from that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C4MMY View Post
    IMO the reason he keeps wandering up the field is because apart from shinnie just now no one else wants the ball so if shinnies not an option he either goes a run or hits and hopes we get something from that
    Yip, agree with the Shinnie point but I don't see LF hitting and hoping too many times, he always seems to try to find a team mate, not always successfully I concede!

Radge

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5639 Post(s)
    vCash
    I agree with both of you, plus Mr Lennon suggested Liam was a bit of player. I reckon Liam believed him. Just kidding, he has been doing i for years and whilst I prefer Paul and Darren, I like the cut of Liam's gib, he has grown to be one of us. That is good enough for me.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)
    vCash
    Yip, agree with the Shinnie point but I don't see LF hitting and hoping too many times, he always seems to try to find a team mate, not always successfully I concede!
    Thats what I mean he tends to go on a wee run himself since no one is showing instead of the only other option just now which is punting it right up the park. As long as he tries no more back heels we should be fine 😂

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    vCash
    Apparently Lennon and Parker kept shaking their heads every time Lewis hit a poor cross. Not being funny, but he's been that way for years and they are the ones expecting to keep doing the same things with different results!! Lewis is a capable left back but, in this league with 3 at the back, we don't need a left back! We need someone who can get up and down the line, isn't afraid to take players on and can put in a decent cross! Players like Graham would definitely benefit from that, and if Crane isn't seen as the answer then we need to bring in someone who is!

Playing 6 defensively minded players against most teams in this league is the main reason we are playing so badly imo, it just ends up isolating the attacking players. There was a moment on Sat when we broke forward from a Dumbarton corner or free kick and Graham had the ball in the channel near their 18 yard box and when he turned to look for a pass every player apart from JC was still in our half! Dumbarton by then had bodies back, crowded him out and nicked the ball and you could see how angry he was, what chance do the strikers have when this sort of thing keeps happening?

GoGO Back To Forum