Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2485 Post(s)
    vCash

Why we are where we are : a perspective

This is only my opinion and I'm sure many out there disagree with me and if so feel free to have a go and question my views. I've got a thick skin !

Some of the criticism that fans are stating in the aftermath of last night's result is understandable and much of it is true. We as supporters react to what we see on the park and more importantly we react to the result. Had Boyle scored the penalty and we had won 1-0 there would have been post after post praising the team and the manager for a great result, good tactics, and going on to say that now we were 6 points clear we would now go on to win the league by a mile. Fine lines and all that...IMO supporters tone, mood and opinions are always shaped by the last result. This is my own assessment of why Hibs are currently where we are, Neil Lennon's abilities as a manager, and where we are heading. Let's look at some of the criticisms of the club since last night's match.

1/ Neil Lennon doesn't know his best team: Yes he does. He has been playing his best available team for the past 6 or 7 weeks and we have been scoring goals and winning matches. When you take three of your best players out of that team you are clearly not going to be as good. Defensively we have one of the best records in the UK and easily the best in this league. Boyle has been playing well and scoring goals so he deserved to keep his place last night..although I have never thought that he was a striker. A fast, tenacious wide player who can cause problems late on in a match maybe but not a dependable natural goalscorer who can play up front. Expect to see Jason Cummings brought back in against Dumbarton.

2/ Lennon bought badly in the summer: Far too early to say, but I would tend to disagree. At the moment I would say that Holt has been the only player who has really been a flop since he arrived in the summer. He is 36 years old and well past his best and he struggles with the pace of the game up here particularly late on in matches. His experience has been a help though and I think he is quite an intelligent player, but like so many others in the team just doesn't score enough. Brian Graham needs to be given a regular run in the team IMO. His goalscoring record in this league is excellent and that is why Lennon signed him. He is great in the air and would benefit immensely if we had any players who could cross a ball accurately or deliver a set-piece accurately into the penalty box. Shinnie is a very good player IMO who perhaps has taken a while to adapt after not playing for quite a while before he came to Hibs. Marciano has not been tested in goals yet, but is an international goalkeeper.

3/ We should be winning this league easily: I just can't understand why so many fans thought we would run away with this league. On paper we have the strongest squad and I believe because of this we will prevail in the end and win the championship. However let's just remember that we are into our third season in the second tier of Scottish football. The longer you are in this league the harder it is to get out of it. The evidence is there for all to see over many, many years. We are going to have to work very hard to see off the predictable challenge of Dundee United. Losing our best players in midfield for two months is just going to make it that much harder...but that is the challenge Lennon faces and it is his job to meet that challenge and overcome it.

4/ Lennon was the wrong choice: Remembering of course that we are a Championship club in our third season down here...I think it was an astonishing coup to get a manager like Neil Lennon to our club given where we are. 4 times Scottish Premier League winner, twice Scottish Cup winner, and twice into the group stages of the Champions League beating Barcelona in the process. Can someone tell me who we could have got with a better pedigree than that ? No doubt the guy is a complex character, fiery and temperamental granted, but he is also a winner. I have no interest in the guy's background, accent, hair colour or how he presents himself to the media. I only care about his team winning every week. Personally, I can't quite understand what it is about the guy that people don't like. I have huge admiration for him and what he has achieved and overcome and what he has faced up to in his career. I think we are fortunate to have him.

5/ The January window will make or break our season: I agree with that up to a point. We need to bring in good players in January but that is not going to be easy. It is very hard to bring in players in the January window who are fit to play immediately and who will make an impact in this league for the wages we pay. Just as important will be getting Fyvie and Keatings back playing and avoiding further serious injuries in the process. That ultimately comes down to luck and the manager can't do much about that. We can forget McGinn till about mid-February IMO. We have come to rely so much on John McGinn for creativity that dealing with his continued absence from the team is going to be one of Lennon's biggest problems in the weeks ahead IMO.

6/ We are worse than we were last season: Of course we are. When you lose players of the calibre of Malonga, Stokes and Henderson you are bound to be worse. We were never realistically going to have the money to bring in players of a similar quality what with us going into our third season in the Championship. What the manager has done is bring in experienced players and players with a goalscoring record in this league. Over the course of the season I still believe this strategy will help us come out on top.

IMO we lack goals throughout the team, but this has been the problem for years with Hibs. We lack pace and creativity and we just do not have enough players in the squad who can score goals regularly. We have to try to address this as best we can in January. We are in a situation now where immediate emergency surgery has to take place to overcome the loss of two very influential midfield players and I think we will see this in the next week or so. In summary..I think it is too early to get alarmed. We are going to be neck and neck with United for most of the season which was always IMO going to be the case, but I'm still very confident we will emerge as the top club come April/May and win the league.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 03-12-16 at 13:10.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    I agree with all of the above and it's very much where I am at with the issues highlighted.
    As always a balanced and thoughtful post GM

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    vCash
    100% agree GM. Fans always overreact and I still believe we will do well under Lennon. Pressure on him now to win against Utd on the 6th but it's not pressure he hasn't seen before.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    vCash
    On point number 3, I think there's a sense of entitlement (unreasonably) based on Hearts and - to a lesser extent - Rangers strolling this league in the last two seasons.

The simple maths therefore is Hibs + big crowds + easier league = easy promotion.

Of course, it doesn't tend to work out that way.

Radgie, Gadgie, Onion Badgie Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    vCash
    Very good post Green Machine. I'm keeping the faith

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3388 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good post. Still scunnered, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2205 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good post and the reality is almost halfway through league business we are sitting top, along with the team who came down from the SPL with a large parachute payment. We should have beat utd at Easter Road and were perhaps a penalty taker away from winning last night. Apart from utd, the other teams are slowly drifting away from the top 2 spots and it is looking very like a 2 horse race. The big difference may well be the transfer window and return of our injured players. It was always going to be close last night and even during our ropey spell we mostly had draws rather than defeats. 14-15k crowds at ER should ensure we make a couple of good signings. Hopefully Jason will also start banging a few goals in, and having played so little might be fresher than most after the year. Lennon has his faults but he has been around long enough to know what is required

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post and the reality is almost halfway through league business we are sitting top, along with the team who came down from the SPL with a large parachute payment. We should have beat utd at Easter Road and were perhaps a penalty taker away from winning last night. Apart from utd, the other teams are slowly drifting away from the top 2 spots and it is looking very like a 2 horse race. The big difference may well be the transfer window and return of our injured players. It was always going to be close last night and even during our ropey spell we mostly had draws rather than defeats. 14-15k crowds at ER should ensure we make a couple of good signings. Hopefully Jason will also start banging a few goals in, and having played so little might be fresher than most after the year. Lennon has his faults but he has been around long enough to know what is required
    I also think we will be fine, just need a desent goal threat.
    Also I think lennon should ask steavey Gerrard if he wants a challenge. This would certainly address our midfield proplems,you never know if you don't ask. ..GGTTH

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1492 Post(s)
    vCash
    The club and board have let us down. They did not live up to there end of the deal with releasing money for investing in players. The usual begging letters were sent out asking fans to buy season tickets so we could make the squad stronger, and they simply didn't deliver. They deliberately used the feel good factor of the cup to avoid spending money on some well needed quality. Like usual we take the cheap option with a bunch of loan deals and free transfers.

Honestly whoever is in charge at the top needs to take a serious hard look at themselves. How do you expect a team that finished third last season, to win the league with a much weaker squad? There were two options. Spend a little extra and guarantee promotion, or be as cheap as possible and hope we squeak promotion.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agree with some of that but I can't agree that we will prevail. Utd are clearly going to win the league as Lennon is just not good. I could have won the SPL as Celtic manager with no Rangers there. As for his Bolton reign? Deary me.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with some of that but I can't agree that we will prevail. Utd are clearly going to win the league as Lennon is just not good. I could have won the SPL as Celtic manager with no Rangers there. As for his Bolton reign? Deary me.
    Steve were all in titled to our options and am not 100% sure on Lennon my self but after watching the game last nite I don't know how you can say Utd will clearly win league as they were just as poor as us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoGO Back To Forum