Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and that was comfortable....

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5532 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and that was comfortable....

Frankly that was a stroll in the park, should have comfortably been 5 or 6 but poor finishing kept it tighter than many of us felt comfortable with. Obviously eyebrows will be raised with Jase staying on the bench for 90 minutes yet again, however playing the excellent Martin Boyle through the middle was Neil's master stoke, his positive running, willingness and importantly ability to beat a man was the difference. Yet again Darren McGregor was best of the back three, I thought Lewis and David were decent today, Fraser came on to his usual good game and big Holt started to look more like the player we remembered from his canary days.

St Mirren brought very little, that includes their 300 fans in a 14,500 crowd, although I hope we have a plan to make a better offer for Stevie Mallan, he looks a player. The referee was rotten, how we did not get another penalty and how all 11 St Mirren players stayed the full 90 minutes is beyond me.

Will we play better, yes, should we score more goals, yes, are we still top, yes, are we a better team playing 3 2 3 2, yes, do we know what is going on with Cummings, nope. Its goals that are missing.

The David Gray Shaun McKinley Banner is magnificent, a fitting tribute to two inspirational people.

The team...

Marciano had very little to do, when he did he was fine.

I thought Lewis got up and down the line pretty well, especially second half.

Paul Hanlon looked a little out of sorts again today, but done all he needed.

Liam Fontaine looked better today and overall gave us a decent performance.

Darren McGregor was yet again our class defender, he never gives the ball away.

David Gray was busy down the line today and chucked in a couple of cracking tackles too. As I mentioned, the banner starring the Scottish Cup winning goal scorer and captain of Hibernian is very fitting.

Fraser Fyvie took 10 minutes to get his act together and then went on to give his excellent match performance, our best midfielder at the moment.

John McGinn blew hot and cold today, I hope his injury is not serious.

Andrew Shinnie is an enigma, he played a coupleof lovely through balls, one for a goal another Boyler should have slotted away, he also runs the opposition down well, however he is a wet blanket, a fearty, he disnae challenge and loses every 50 50. He should have scored when through on the Langfield too.

Grant Holt scored a 20 yard peach after initially fluffing it. He gave his all today and earned his standing ovation when swapped for Graham with 8 or 9 minutes to go. He really needs to score penalties though.

Martin Boyle was almost unplayable today, I think that is the best I have seen him in a Hibs jersey. He is great running at defenders, especially through the middle, he takes men on, nae fear, he can shoot, he scored a fine goal, should have scored a similar one. He is also happy to pass and link up play. He was excellent today, there is no other word for it. Well played Squirrel, I expect you to start next week.

Subs

Bartley replaced the injured McGinn with 15 minutes to go and other than a great mazy run where he got a nose bleed he did just fine.

Graham replaced Holt with 5 to go and again did well, winning a couple of good headers, he deserves a longer run in a game, see what he has got.

Boozy replaced Squirrel with a minute to go, more so that Boyler got his deserved standing ovation form the appreciative Hibs support. Boozy had no time to show anything.

Lenny and Gary Porker got it right today, Boyle through the middle was this weeks master stroke. I thought we should have killed the Buddies off with a couple of more goals and earlier subs might have picked up the second half pedestrian pace. Still we are top and three points ahead of an average United.

St Mirren did their best, I don't think they will go down and in Mallen they have some talent. Were never really in it and I bet Rocky was feeling fair cauld as he was barely tested until about 10 minutes to go.

The referee, Robertson, was hopeless, far too many poor decisions.

Well done the over 14,000 Hibs fans who came along, very impressive numbers and consistent attendances like this will help us get out of this horrible league.

Man of the Match was easy, Martin Boyle was brilliant today, from start until he came off, he never stopped. Great performance.

Next, Err doon the watter, lets go along in numbers and get behind the boys, its no often ye get to step back in time without a Delorean.

Finally, it was great to see the Team that wouldn't die at half time,some great players when you look back.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    vCash
    Enjoyed the game today despite the group of moaners behind me.

Some people just can't break a habit of a lifetime.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agree on everything except Fyvie. That boy just gives me the jitters. He was responsible for at least three breaks in possession today that could/would have lead to a better team equalising. This isn't a first either. He really needs to sort that out or he cannot be left alone to boss the middle. I much prefer Marvin Bartley.

Still... Boyle today. Wow! Keep that up son. 👏

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)
    vCash
    We are too slow too make subs! 80 mins in and only 1 sub that was forced due to an injury. Like you say we should've made subs after about an hour when we were starting too look to pedestrian and really had no urgency apart from Boyle. Marcianos kicking worries me. He's no any good with the ball at his feet and I think the defenders feel the same cause again today they could've played an easy ball back to him on occasions but instead punted it out.
    still top off the league and that's all that matters.

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    A comfortable display and was content when leaving.Boyle was excellent I hope he can consistently deliver that type of performance.Shinnie I thought looked good today however I do accept his powder puff approach tae tackles.
    Fonts did well and Holt another fine performance apart from his penalty , different side from last week , felt he was caught in two minds sort of a gig.
    Now DVD time.....

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6629 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by south west hiby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A comfortable display and was content when leaving.Boyle was excellent I hope he can consistently deliver that type of performance.Shinnie I thought looked good today however I do accept his powder puff approach tae tackles.
    Fonts did well and Holt another fine performance apart from his penalty , different side from last week , felt he was caught in two minds sort of a gig.
    Now DVD time.....
    It probably seems daft to say this but I always feel that the person who won the penalty shouldn't be the one who takes it.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Baltic Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Lenny and Gary Porker got it right today, Boyle through the middle was this weeks master stroke.
    As it was last week too. I see nothing sinister in JC being rested when Boyle's clearly in form & doing real damage from that central slot. Its also worth pointing out that Lennon went out of his way in the post-match interview to state the following:

"I toyed with the idea of starting Jason (Cummings) because he is a bona fida centre forward. We see Martin as more of a central player now rather than being a wide man. He has goals in him."

Certainly doesn't sound like the major issue that some folk seem to be suggesting. JC was doing nothing in the last few games before he was dropped (and I'm basing that wholly on 1875's superb Just Backs) while Boyle, Keatings & Graham have all come in since, put in good showings & crucially... scored. When JC gets back in (and he will), he's going to have to be sh!t hot.

GGTTH

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    vCash
    No surprise to me that JC was on the bench tbh. Boyle deserved to start because he did well last week at Dunfy. He is the only player we have with real pace and we all seen the difference that can make today, St Mirren's back four were terrified of him.

A steady performance today accurately summed up by the OP.

A couple of negatives for me, I am yet to be convinced by our keeper, even though he had nowt to do,and we can still make defending corners look extremely awkward due to frickin zonal marking.

I am not bothered about Shinnie being lightweight, tackling is not his game, creating and scoring is, I thought he was very good today.

Are Hibs aware how ineffectual the PA system is? Would have been nice to hear what the Skol team were saying, couldnae make out one word.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    374 Post(s)
    vCash
    Also goes to show that being really gifted like mcginn isn't everything, Boyle who's a good footballer yes but not as gifted as mcginn but his work rate is tremendous, all game he made runs, chased lost causes and never gave them a second on the ball

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    vCash
    Boyle was a joy to watch. Best I've seen him play.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    I didn't make the game today but delighted to read Boyle put in another decent performance. I really like Boyle, it doesn't always come off for him but his enthusiasm and willingness for hard work impress me. He's one of those type of players you're always willing to do well.

The Cummings situation looks set to continue as it sounds like we've found a good combination in Holt and Boyle. I hope Jason gets the head down and works thru his time on the bench and comes back banging in the goals again. There's an element in the support who seem overly keen to believe there is some issue between Lennon and Cummings. I've not read anything other than 2 or 3rd source rumours of vague allegations of being unfit...so I'm prepared to believe it's purely Lennon deciding what he thinks his best team is on a given day, until it's proved otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hibs deserved to win the match and should have won by more. An excellent goalkeeping performance from Jamie Langfield and the usual rank rotten finishing from Hibs kept the score down. Grant Holt played well but made an arse of his penalty. Never hit a penalty straight down the middle as it always give a keeper a decent chance of saving it. Boyle had a great game..it looks like the manager now sees him as more effective through the middle although I prefer to see him attacking from wide positions. We are still nowhere near ruthless enough in the last third of the park. Defensively, I'm sorry but the way we defend set-pieces still drives me nuts with this zonal marking nonsense. At times we looked like the keystone cops defending them. The game benefitted greatly from St Mirren's willingness to have a go and it made the match more entertaining as a result. McGinn needs a rest but I hope that isn't a serious injury he has picked up. McGeogh must be injured yet again. I don't think Brian Graham is much of a footballer to be honest, but he will score some goals in this league especially headers if we can give him decent crosses into the box.

Good to see the Skol Cup/League Cup winning team at half-time and especially to good to hear Alex Miller given a well deserved ovation.

PA system is woeful though. Far too much chatter from the compere....we don't want to hear you mate we want to hear the players speaking and for it be clear to everyone in the stadium.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2196 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Barone View Post
    I didn't make the game today but delighted to read Boyle put in another decent performance. I really like Boyle, it doesn't always come off for him but his enthusiasm and willingness for hard work impress me. He's one of those type of players you're always willing to do well.

The Cummings situation looks set to continue as it sounds like we've found a good combination in Holt and Boyle. I hope Jason gets the head down and works thru his time on the bench and comes back banging in the goals again. There's an element in the support who seem overly keen to believe there is some issue between Lennon and Cummings. I've not read anything other than 2 or 3rd source rumours of vague allegations of being unfit...so I'm prepared to believe it's purely Lennon deciding what he thinks his best team is on a given day, until it's proved otherwise.

Can only think then he is unfit, or that Lennon feels he is not contributing enough, or fitting into a system/linking up well enough. Hopefully that is being taken care of in training, but it won't help sitting on a bench and getting zero game time. Hopefully he might feature in a development game for the fitness at least

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    Can only think then he is unfit, or that Lennon feels he is not contributing enough, or fitting into a system/linking up well enough. Hopefully that is being taken care of in training, but it won't help sitting on a bench and getting zero game time. Hopefully he might feature in a development game for the fitness at least
    On reflection I'd guess the second..he's not linking up or playing the system in the way Lennon wants. To be fair to Jason I thought he was lively in the second half of the game against Raith mind you. The only other thing I can think of is that Lennon maybe feels he needs a rest (mentally) he played a lot last season between his Hibs and Scotland commitments. Either way I think we're a more dangerous proposition for opponents with an in form Cummings so I hope it's resolved soon.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Excellent report as always. Speaking personally, despite profligacy in front of goal as per, I was encouraged in that I felt more penetration and real chances were on show. On another day it really could have been 4 or 5 where that hasn't often been the case with our narrow margin wins. As noted Langfield had an excellent game, and that more than failure to open things up in the last third kept the margin down today IMHO. Some nice long, short and medium range through balls from Fyvie, Shinnie and Holt and of course great running at them by Boyle.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)
    vCash
    Squirrel is great. I love the boys attitude, although the arse holes that refer to him as a 'headless chicken' and similar comments apparently think all he can do is chase. Fcukin dafties.
    Clangers (again) had a great game against us. A few excellent saves.
    I've got my DVD but I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)
    vCash
    With Queen's losing to Raith, Hibs winning comfortably and an average United beating Falkirk... I think the pattern is set. There's a long way to go but I expect ourselves and United, slowly but surely, to start pulling away.

In the end, though it won't always be pretty and there'll be some dodgy performances and results tossed in, I think we've just a bit too much for this league; and, most importantly, I don't think there's another side that can seriously put in a sustained period of form that'll overturn us.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)
    vCash
    Interesting that Super needs a rest but according to some folk Jase, as a young laddie having played the best part of 3 seasons on the trot, has been dropped because NL has discovered he's the son of Satan that ate too many muffins and couldn't hit a gowf baw because of his ower fat belly!

I had a $#@!ing torrid time today* in the hot hotness sunshine of Benalmadina with no internet and only the odd text from Mixu, thanks again, to keep me in touch. No idea why data roaming didn't work. Anyway a day data roaming at 3 quid better spent on a mega vodka and coke :-)

Thanks 18 and others for the reporting.

* Tomorrow by the time I pass the wifi pub.
    Space to let

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)
    vCash
    3 points , nothing much else apart from meeting Shrink and his grandson in the shop

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2459 Post(s)
    vCash
    Boyle was tremendous today, chased everything down and also took defenders on. Lennon had tae start him after his performance last week. If he continues playing like that and getting a well deserved goal Jase may be struggling. Hopefully Cummings will take on board what Squirrel is doing and mibbes up his game if and when he gets his chance. Thought Lewis had a good game today too and Fyvie had me worried for a minute, thought he was going off injured, glad he recovered. Defence were solid again.3 points top of the league, jobs a good'un.

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Boyle was tremendous today, chased everything down and also took defenders on. Lennon had tae start him after his performance last week. If he continues playing like that and getting a well deserved goal Jase may be struggling. Hopefully Cummings will take on board what Squirrel is doing and mibbes up his game if and when he gets his chance. Thought Lewis had a good game today too and Fyvie had me worried for a minute, thought he was going off injured, glad he recovered. Defence were solid again.3 points top of the league, jobs a good'un.
    They targeted Stephenson with the high ball constantly. Lewie dealt with it admirably. As the game went on he got stronger and stronger. Bombing up and down that wing like the Energizer bunny. The Buddies took him on but wee Lewie won that contest hands down. Well done lad.

Others getting plus marks from me are McGregor, Fonts, Fyvie and the wiley old Holt. Good stuff.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GdanskHibee View Post
    As it was last week too. I see nothing sinister in JC being rested when Boyle's clearly in form & doing real damage from that central slot. Its also worth pointing out that Lennon went out of his way in the post-match interview to state the following:

"I toyed with the idea of starting Jason (Cummings) because he is a bona fida centre forward. We see Martin as more of a central player now rather than being a wide man. He has goals in him."

Certainly doesn't sound like the major issue that some folk seem to be suggesting. JC was doing nothing in the last few games before he was dropped (and I'm basing that wholly on 1875's superb Just Backs) while Boyle, Keatings & Graham have all come in since, put in good showings & crucially... scored. When JC gets back in (and he will), he's going to have to be sh!t hot.

GGTTH
    Yip. He also said it was a wee jag to JC as he felt he was below par the last 3 to 4 games. It's simple, you go off the boil then you will get benched (Unless yer John McGinn) No biggy. JC's goals have carried the team for 2 full seasons so some benchtime can give him a wee rest and something to ponder. Eventually he'll be back doing what he always does. Scoring goals.

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    712 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'll give little thought to the Cummings situ until we aren't getting results.
    We were hardly banging them in with him in the team and he was wasteful in front of goal also so with Boyle and Holt doing the business currently and us back to winning ways you can only say that Lennon has been justified.

One things for sure and especially with Keatings lay off, JC will be back in the team at some point with a point to prove now he's had the boot up the erse that's apparently been necessary.

We're in a good position with 2 forwards on form, a proven scorer on the bench and another out for not so long.

Top of the league despite not hitting top form and opposition who are average at best should see the league sewn up by.......early May.

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EA2007 View Post
    I'll give little thought to the Cummings situ until we aren't getting results.
    We were hardly banging them in with him in the team and he was wasteful in front of goal also so with Boyle and Holt doing the business currently and us back to winning ways you can only say that Lennon has been justified.

One things for sure and especially with Keatings lay off, JC will be back in the team at some point with a point to prove now he's had the boot up the erse that's apparently been necessary.

We're in a good position with 2 forwards on form, a proven scorer on the bench and another out for not so long.

Top of the league despite not hitting top form and opposition who are average at best should see the league sewn up by.......early May.
    Spot on.

Geronimo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Yip. He also said it was a wee jag to JC as he felt he was below par the last 3 to 4 games. It's simple, you go off the boil then you will get benched (Unless yer John McGinn) No biggy. JC's goals have carried the team for 2 full seasons so some benchtime can give him a wee rest and something to ponder. Eventually he'll be back doing what he always does. Scoring goals.
    I personally think, having given his all as he has done week in week out, looks $#@!ed. Maybe a few cameo appearances required.

BIG G

Everyone's words of support are helping me thru this. I appreciate every comment, prayer and positive thought.

Guys and girls I can't emphasise how much your words are encouraging and helping me. This battle has barely started but I know you'll be by my side every step of the way - it's giving me great strength - Shaun 16/03/2016

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    vCash
    - - - Updated - - -

I personally think, having given his all as he has done week in week out, looks $#@!ed. Maybe a few cameo appearances required.

BIG G[/QUOTE]

A rest wouldn't be a bad thing - preferably once McGeouch is back. But I thought he looked back to his best second half against the Pars. He'll probably get a rest on Wembley weekend...
    GGTTH

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2012 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post

BIG G
    That's the way I see it. Plus he is constantly targeted by whoever we play. They rightfully see him as as oor dangerman so the amount of boots (sly & blatant) digs,tussles and downright wrestling matches he ends up in must be knackering for the lad.

Another thing to note is Super John has played 161 games in his short career so far. That's a remarkable amount of games for someone who only turned 22 this month.

GoGO Back To Forum