Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2206 Post(s)
    vCash

Is it the 80s again?

Looking at this seasons crowds, we are I think virtually, or realistically on a par with the early 80's/ Remember the sell out 27k crowds against hearts? If we are getting 15k home crowds, we must be pushing towards the crowds back then. Of course 15k does not guarantee sell outs nowadays as there is only 3.5k tickets to away support. Back then it was realistic to see hearts supporters get up to 10k tickets. On that basis, Hibs support is holding up remarkabely well. So can we keep it up? What of the demographs? Certainly there is more females/families attending and so the atmosphere may appear to be a little more sedated than the days when 15k supporters, of whom 5k at least may have been influenced by a few beers/lagers where happy to shout/scream/sing, these days we seem to rely on a singing section...which by the way I am not mocking, but in days gone by, there was singing sporadically from all sections of the stadium...except perhaps main stand upper. Anyway what am I saying. I dunno cos Im drunk on rums again! However, I think I am congratulating the support that after so many $#@! years...and so much negativity, we still love out team. And secondly, an anoc..anch..anock...do you know how hard thia is to type on several havanas?? acknoledgement that there is different people turning up and we celebrate them all. Can we in your own opinion, reckon we could ever make the amazing achievement of having 20k home support??

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)
    vCash
    I'm too young to really remember, but weren't those bumper crowds in the 80's against the "big" sides not also interspersed with some really shan crowds (<5,000) versus the other league sides? In that respect I think we're doing better pulling in circa 15k for home games no matter who we're playing!
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2206 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm too young to really remember, but weren't those bumper crowds in the 80's against the "big" sides not also interspersed with some really shan crowds (<5,000) versus the other league sides? In that respect I think we're doing better pulling in circa 15k for home games no matter who we're playing!
    kev you are correct, yet without these bumper crowds, ER would be dead, as with so many SPL crowds, we did live for the derbies/OF games, which is why I personally would not wish them to end

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    vCash
    Leanne was saying yesterday in the paper that our average crowds so far are at a 43 year high

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)
    vCash
    6 visits from Old Firm and Hearts each season in a 10 team league with massive away allocations hugely enhanced our average crowds then. The home support for those 6 games would always be higher though as they were looked forward to as the big games and $#@!ey TV scheduling and the armchair fan weren't "invented".

As mentioned, the averages now are still better than eighties despite the above and current piddly away supports. Fans have definitely stepped up to the plate.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    Looking at this seasons crowds, we are I think virtually, or realistically on a par with the early 80's/ Remember the sell out 27k crowds against hearts? If we are getting 15k home crowds, we must be pushing towards the crowds back then. Of course 15k does not guarantee sell outs nowadays as there is only 3.5k tickets to away support. Back then it was realistic to see hearts supporters get up to 10k tickets. On that basis, Hibs support is holding up remarkabely well. So can we keep it up? What of the demographs? Certainly there is more females/families attending and so the atmosphere may appear to be a little more sedated than the days when 15k supporters, of whom 5k at least may have been influenced by a few beers/lagers where happy to shout/scream/sing, these days we seem to rely on a singing section...which by the way I am not mocking, but in days gone by, there was singing sporadically from all sections of the stadium...except perhaps main stand upper. Anyway what am I saying. I dunno cos Im drunk on rums again! However, I think I am congratulating the support that after so many $#@! years...and so much negativity, we still love out team. And secondly, an anoc..anch..anock...do you know how hard thia is to type on several havanas?? acknoledgement that there is different people turning up and we celebrate them all. Can we in your own opinion, reckon we could ever make the amazing achievement of having 20k home support??
    Davy man, how could you forget the very loud mantra of "HIBEES CLAP CLAP CLAP" along with the very loud stamping of feet on the old wooden flooring that emanated from the Main Stand Upper North End?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    vCash
    Apart from a thoroughly approving bottle of Morgans Spice I cannae see where the nostalgia for the crowds of the 1980's is coming from.

The stadium was a ramshackle mess as were most of the teams and people voted with their feet and accordingly the average attendance's in the early 1980's were some of the worst in Hibs history.

1980: 4,460 (yes you read that right)
    1981: 7,485.
    1982: 7,204.
    1983: 8,334.
    1984: 7,425.

The 2nd half of the 1980's picked up though

1985: 9,135.
    1986: 9,154.
    1987: 11,190.
    1988: 13,896.
    1989: 10,705.

Only 1988 comes close to this years average of 15,383 and Leanne's quote about "best attendance's in 43 years" is accurate though 2006/07 and an average attendance of 14,567 might run it close once winter kicks in.

As always maintaining the numbers is the problem as price isn't a factor but success and momentum are.

Mussel-bound Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlovSam View Post
    Apart from a thoroughly approving bottle of Morgans Spice I cannae see where the nostalgia for the crowds of the 1980's is coming from.

The stadium was a ramshackle mess as were most of the teams and people voted with their feet and accordingly the average attendance's in the early 1980's were some of the worst in Hibs history.

Only 1988 comes close to this years average of 15,383 and Leanne's quote about "best attendance's in 43 years" is accurate though 2006/07 and an average attendance of 14,567 might run it close once winter kicks in.

As always maintaining the numbers is the problem as price isn't a factor but success and momentum are.

Re 1988: Would that include 6 x c20k attendances v Bigots & Gunts? That might skew the averages a bit.
    GGTTH

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2499 Post(s)
    vCash
    Attendances in Scottish football in general during the early 1980's were poor. Unless Hibs were at home to either of the Old Firm, Hearts or to a certain extent Aberdeen then it was the norm for our crowds to hover around the 5 to 6,000 mark for all other home games. As has been said the OF and Hearts were allocated large amounts of tickets back then for Easter Road and they filled not only the Dunbar end but half the main stand and half the enclosure under the stand as well. This would have given a false impression with regard to Hibs average home attendances.

The main reason for low crowds at that time apart from the fact that Hibs and several other clubs had poor teams, stadiums were generally a mess, and both the Old Firm were going through a bad period, was mass unemployment due to the Thatcher governments policies at the time. There was also a lot of hooliganism at the bigger games which turned a lot of people off the game. The only clubs which thrived around this time were Aberdeen (great team, plus the oil boom had transformed living standards up there) and Dundee United (another great team with a legendary manager).

Leeann was comparing our crowds at the moment more with the early 70's rather than the 80's. At the moment our average crowds are the best they have been since around the Tornadoes era. This is quite remarkable given we are in an unprecedented third season in the second tier of scottish football, and is another example of how our fantastic Scottish Cup win in May has changed this club for ever. We just have to keep winning, secure the league title, and get promotion as soon as possible. The feel-good factor will then continue into next season (assuming we do actually get promoted), and should see an even bigger increase in season ticket sales from this season, plus more walk-ups. Once we are promoted I can see Hibs really taking off as a club.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Player Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4708 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Attendances in Scottish football in general during the early 1980's were poor. Unless Hibs were at home to either of the Old Firm, Hearts or to a certain extent Aberdeen then it was the norm for our crowds to hover around the 5 to 6,000 mark for all other home games. As has been said the OF and Hearts were allocated large amounts of tickets back then for Easter Road and they filled not only the Dunbar end but half the main stand and half the enclosure under the stand as well. This would have given a false impression with regard to Hibs average home attendances.

The main reason for low crowds at that time apart from the fact that Hibs and several other clubs had poor teams, stadiums were generally a mess, and both the Old Firm were going through a bad period, was mass unemployment due to the Thatcher governments policies at the time. There was also a lot of hooliganism at the bigger games which turned a lot of people off the game. The only clubs which thrived around this time were Aberdeen (great team, plus the oil boom had transformed living standards up there) and Dundee United (another great team with a legendary manager).

Leeann was comparing our crowds at the moment more with the early 70's rather than the 80's. At the moment our average crowds are the best they have been since around the Tornadoes era. This is quite remarkable given we are in an unprecedented third season in the second tier of scottish football, and is another example of how our fantastic Scottish Cup win in May has changed this club for ever. We just have to keep winning, secure the league title, and get promotion as soon as possible. The feel-good factor will then continue into next season (assuming we do actually get promoted), and should see an even bigger increase in season ticket sales from this season, plus more walk-ups. Once we are promoted I can see Hibs really taking off as a club.
    I was watching the "interview" with him and John Barnes on YouTube yesterday. Comedy Gold.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    I was watching the "interview" with him and John Barnes on YouTube yesterday. Comedy Gold.
    From memory...

"Dinnae you offer me that again!"

"I'm only asking..."

BOP!!

Funny as $#@!!

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlovSam View Post

Sam, do you think if we cut prices we would attract bigger crowds
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)
    vCash
    I was there most weeks during the 80s (and to see the reserves when we were away) and as far as I recall the crowds were usually $#@!. Most weeks in the first half of the 80s we'd struggle to get 5 or 6 thousand.

Was different if playing the ugly sisters, the mob from gorgie or Aberdeen.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Sam,do you think if we cut prices we would attract bigger crowds
    HaHa. I will do some deep research...not that it would matter against the Zealots.
    Last edited by SlovSam; 27-10-16 at 19:56.

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    950 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    Re 1988: Would that include 6 x c20k attendances v Bigots & Gunts? That might skew the averages a bit.
    Oi ! Oi!

This isnae hibs.net.

herts $#@!s, kiddie tinklers or $#@!ing cheating scum.

or gunt.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2206 Post(s)
    vCash
    Shows how the memory plays tricks. I didnt go to so many home games in the 80's living in the west and working most Saturdays. I do remember a 2-2 game against Hearts where it was a total sell out and me and my bro tried to climb over the wall as others were doing. The big lump couldnt get over so we ended up in the Albion with some dude from Newcastle who had also travelled and never got in. Guess that was the exception then

GoGO Back To Forum

User Tag List