Thread: Just back and we're on our way.....

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)

Just back and we're on our way.....

From misery to happiness today. This first half was woeful, Hibs were woeful, Shinnie and Holt were particularly woeful, Fontain and Hanlon not much better. Second half, with rockets hinging oot the tails of each and every player in those ridiculous iluminous shirts, bar probably the excellent Fraser Fyvie and Darren McGregor, we were like a new team, the hibs team we expect to see every week. Even when Keats got injured and we all looked blankly as Boyle came on a Jase stayed splinter arse on the bench, we expected the worst, instead we got a Lennon masterstroke. At half time I was mentally preparing to angrily ask for Shinnie and Holt never to get a game for Hibs again in this report, for Lennon to start seriously thinking about his position and for Gary Parker to seriously get himself salad and slimasoups at ASDA the morn. After that second half, I still thank Gary needs to get himself down to ASDA's slimming section.

The first half saw a disjointed Hibs, poor passes, nothing fed to Keats that he could do anything with, Shinnie was minging, a big soft jessie, Holt was hopeless, poor touches, nae jumps, the lop sided midfield wisnae working with Gray out right on his own, Hanlon out of sorts, Fontain not yet in sorts. When they got the penalty for whatever it was the referee seen, I thought we could never recover. Neil Lennon disagreed.

The second half Hibernian, are our Hibernian, charging forward, crunching in, running players down, scoring goals, playing crisp passing football in front of 4000 travelling fans, that is the Hibs we want, that is the Hibs we turn up in massive numbers to see, that is the Hibs Neil, that you need to have playng like that for 90 minutes, not second halfs.

The injury to Keats looked sore, the decision to replace him with Boyle was surprising but spot on, Boyle blows hot and cold, today he was madras hot, running through the middle, chasing balls down, wanting the ball, passing teh ball, be breathed life into a worryingly stagnant Hibs. Shinnie went from $#@!e to good guy, Holt from duff to impressive, Stevenson, Gray and McGinn seemed to wake up and before you knew it we were 2-1 up and cruising. Big Brian Graham came on and scored, that is Hibs job, and a smashing goal it was too.

The referee was poor, I don't think it was a penalty to them, I thought he could have sent off more than one Pars player had he booked them when he should have. He ignored things, he frankly looked like he cheated at least once. Dunfermline stated well and tired, cloggers that they are.

Marciano's biggest problem is indecision, I think to comes down to the fact he is inactive for large parts of games and has a poor attention span? He is clearly a good keeper though.

Gray was strangely quiet, he did try to get passed the Pars full back but didn't have too much success. He was the winning goal scorer, captaining Hibernian when we won the Scottish Cup in May 2016.

Darren McGregor was the outstanding defender for Hibs today, for 90 minutes to boot. He is a class defender.

Paul Hanlon is almost every week Hibs best player or certainly one of them. I thought he was poor to average today.Dd not seem to get going against Farid or the fat guy that replaced him.

Fontaine was fine defensively and shocking moving the ball forward, poor from Him, but he will improve with games.

Stevenson did get forward especially second half, but has had better games for Hibs.

Fraser Fyvie was Hibs midfield for 90 minutes today, others joined in and out over the game, Fraser gives 90 minutes.

Shinnie was as bad a Hibs midfielder as I have seen for a couple of years, constantly lost the ball, couldnae beat a man, place a pass and was as weak as pint of Forsters Shandy. Absolute $#@!e. Second half, Shinnie was all over the pitch, going round men, playing fine crisp passes, strong, forward playing, won us a penalty with his direct run and looked like the player who came on in his first game at St Mirren. Having his rocket surgically removed as I type I assume.Well played.

I thought John McGinn done ok first half and was very good second, some strong challenges and a couple of fine incisive passes. Much more "Super"than recently.

Grant Holt looked like me when I play fitba with the bairns, you couldnae get a page of teh Evening News under his jump, never mind a Cup Final Special. Hopeless. Second half he was strong, rang players down, scored a finely taken penalty and reminded me of a big lad who played up front for Norwich. I understand he is in the bed next to Shinnie awaiting the removal of a rocket from his posterior. Well played.

Keats is one of the other couple who actually gave us his all for the whole game, hs injury looked a sore one but he scored the very first time that he was given a ball when he could run at players. Although there was a deflection, it was a fine goal. Hope the injury is minor, you earn you starting place Keats.

Well the super sub was Boyle for the injured Keatings. His direct running, never say die attitude and desire to get the ball won us the game. Dr Shrink gets moist at the thought of Squirrel in a Hibs strip, I thought he was nuts. But today, I could see what he means. Well played Boiler, that was as good as I have seen you.

Graham has never been given a real chance yet, we brought him on and he scored a fine goal after excellent footwork and determination by the born again Shinnie.

No sign of Cummings, stayed splintered on the bench, been a bad boy maybe?

The Management Team - First, Gary Parker is fair putting the beef on, not good. Secondly, that first half is totally unacceptable Neil. Now we may not be Celtic, BUT we are Hibernian FC and we expect more than the $#@!e we witnessed first half, that is not good enough. You clearly have talent as the second half was like watching a different Hibs team. Now given you changed no personnel until Keats injury, you have the talent to motivate this group, can you just make sure you do it both before the game and at half time. The massive Hibs support are a faithful bunch, we love our club, but we drift away when we see $#@!e or failure on the horizon. Give us more 90 minute performances to match the second 45 today and you will quickly see the support you will get, make it happen, for you and for us. Get us out of this league.

I dinnae dislike Dunfermline, they have a small but defiant home support, they did give us a game, they are dirty $#@!s, and the boy with the stupid haircut that used to play for Partick is a laughable wee prick, but they are pretty hopeless and it took us 50-55 minutes to really break them down. FFS.

The referee was awful.

4000 Hibs fans in Fife today, well done each and every one of us. WE are Hibernian FC.

Man of the Match was a straight battle between Darren McGregor and Fraser Fyvie, for giving their all for 90 minutes, not pockets of the game. Fraser gets it from me for being our midfield for large parts of the game. The best sheep shagger we have had at Hibs in years (as the plooky section of the Pars support reminded him today.

Special mention to Stephen's Steak Bridies, the best matchday snack eaten at a Scottish Football Ground, since the home made lentil soup at Alloa a couple of years back. Mr Parker, you might want to put your half dozen back.

Next Up, St Mirren, lets give them a right good doing please.

RIP Kistof, Hibernian Forever.

Great report, find myself agreeing as ever. Thanks.

3406 Post(s)
    Good report, Mark, cheers.

I'm in London next weekend, so that virtually guarantees St Mirren getting the long overdue hiding at ER. Onwards.

746 Post(s)
    Even although I've only seen Keatings play a few times, I have faith in the guy. He only needs a couple of sniffs at goal and he seems to score.
    Charlie don't surf !

317 Post(s)
    Your match report pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game Mark . Though I had big Darren as my man of the match!

I travelled today expecting a good win as I stated last week.I thought then Lennon had the opportunity to get into their heeds.However as the first half unfolded I was left scratching my heed wondering what was going on.
    Second half a motivated determined team took the park and I finally got what I was expecting if not demanding from my team.
    Mom Grant Holt for me, intelligent lead the line very well a player who does a lot unseen work.

481 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by south west hiby View Post
    Mom Grant Holt for me, intelligent lead the line very well a player who does a lot unseen work.
    Wouldn't argue with that.

376 Post(s)
    The first half wasn't great but we could easily have been two or three one up if we had taken our chances. We needed a wee break and it duly arrived with the deflection from Keatings effort.

I enjoyed the 2nd half, Hibs rolled up their sleeves and gave the travelling support exactly what we deserved. McGregor, Fyvie and Holt were stand outs for me throughout the game and Shinnie was excellent the 2nd half.

Dunfermline were poor and might just struggle to stay in this division if they don't improve, that would be a shame. Bridie was very tasty

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehibbydrew View Post
    Wouldn't argue with that.
    I would, he done nothing first half, if his job was to feed Keats he never, link up play, he never, score, he never. Second half he did all of these with aplomb.

6 Post(s)
    792 Post(s)
    @1875 being lucky enough to have a Stephens near me you could try this Mark.

http://www.steakbridie.com/stephens-direct

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braehead Cabbage View Post
    @1875 being lucky enough to have a Stephens near me you could try this Mark.

http://www.steakbridie.com/stephens-direct
    I find one a year enough mate, you enjoy it more.

6423 Post(s)
    I find one a year enough mate, you enjoy it more.
    Hibs class.
    A lesser man would just have called him out for being a greedy fat ****.

213 Post(s)
    4936 Post(s)
    RIP Kristof. Will miss ya. 💚

717 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    RIP Kristof. Will miss ya. 💚
    RIP big yin
    Last edited by MikeyPaget1875; 23-10-16 at 13:43.

1858 Post(s)
    unable to attend today so many thanks for the usual excellent report

interesting that we took 4000 today compared to 1900 last week in Kirkcaldy, flaky pastry fans?

good win and maybe Holt is coming onto a game, thought he was very good against Raith.

RIP Kristof, one of our own.

76 Post(s)
    4711 Post(s)

Next Up, St Mirren, lets give them a right good doing please.

Next up, The Tribute Act at Hampden. Tuesday night. 6.30pm KO.

Let's give them a right doing Hibs.

2206 Post(s)
    unable to attend today so many thanks for the usual excellent report

interesting that we took 4000 today compared to 1900 last week in Kirkcaldy, flaky pastry fans?

good win and maybe Holt is coming onto a game, thought he was very good against Raith.

RIP Kristof, one of our own.
    Because we hit top of the league? Or pay at the gate? Commentator said 3k, but that was before official attendence announced

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)
    We sold out 3000 behind one goal, we then stuck around 1000 pay on the days at one side of the pitch.

6423 Post(s)
    Kristof?

A Bouncer?

RIP whoever you are gadgie.

Too many Hibs fans passing.

Kristof?

A Bouncer?

RIP whoever you are gadgie.

Too many Hibs fans passing.
    True. But more being born and bred. We go on.

There were similarities in yesterday's performance with the one at Raith last week. We need to show the same level of intensity in the first half that we have in the second half of games. I don't know why we have been so sluggish but it's not good enough and needs addressed.

Once again we had a referee who infuriated us at regular intervals throughout the game, he was fussy, failed to play any advantage on several occasions and allowed their midfield to kick us all over the park for the first hour with barely a yellow shown.

I enjoyed the second half..I thought Boyle was absolutely superb when he came on, Shinnie showed that he is a clever and skilful addition after being lucky not to be hooked after a woeful first half effort and Holt put himself about and coolly slotted the pen at a crucial time. Hopefully the goals for Holt and Graham will give them a bit of confidence in front of goal and they'll start scoring more regularly.

3 points clear, top of the league, and I still think we've really to click into top gear. It's not always pretty but the main objective is to get out of this league by any means necessary so From that perspective I can accept it being less easy on the eye than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Barone View Post
    There were similarities in yesterday's performance with the one at Raith last week. We need to show the same level of intensity in the first half that we have in the second half of games. I don't know why we have been so sluggish but it's not good enough and needs addressed.

Once again we had a referee who infuriated us at regular intervals throughout the game, he was fussy, failed to play any advantage on several occasions and allowed their midfield to kick us all over the park for the first hour with barely a yellow shown.

I enjoyed the second half..I thought Boyle was absolutely superb when he came on, Shinnie showed that he is a clever and skilful addition after being lucky not to be hooked after a woeful first half effort and Holt put himself about and coolly slotted the pen at a crucial time. Hopefully the goals for Holt and Graham will give them a bit of confidence in front of goal and they'll start scoring more regularly.

3 points clear, top of the league, and I still think we've really to click into top gear. It's not always pretty but the main objective is to get out of this league by any means necessary so From that perspective I can accept it being less easy on the eye than before.

Pretty much agree with all of this, think Fyvie and McGregor also worthy of a mention. One thing that puzzles me is that 3 at the back seems to be NLs preferred formation but only plays it when Fonts is fit.

76 Post(s)
    4711 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
    Pretty much agree with all of this, think Fyvie and McGregor also worthy of a mention. One thing that puzzles me is that 3 at the back seems to be NLs preferred formation but only plays it when Fonts is fit.
    He obviously only trusts Hanlon to have the ability to play in the middle of the three. If it was to be done when Fonts is out then Hanlon would have to play on the left and the other two are both very right footed. Hanlon is able to play either side, even though he favours his left. Fonts is left footed, Darren is right footed and Paul can cover either side sitting in the middle of the three. It works. I think as long as Hanlon and Fonts are both available he will favour it.

76 Post(s)
    4711 Post(s)
    We sold out 3000 behind one goal, we then stuck around 1000 pay on the days at one side of the pitch.
    Hibs site says behind the goals was only 2600 allocation? To be honest, I thought the crowd was 50:50? Still means more folks went for an EEP bridie than a RR pie.

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)
    Hibs site says behind the goals was only 2600 allocation? To be honest, I thought the crowd was 50:50? Still means more folks went for an EEP bridie than a RR pie.
    Go figure. I didnt think there was as many Pars fans, their behind the goals area was only half full, but its neither here nor there.

6578 Post(s)
    Definitely more Hibby's in attendance yesterday I thought than Pars. I like Dunfermline as a proper fitba team but they used to have a bigger more vocal support than that?

2515 Post(s)
    Fantastic second half , hope Keats isnae too badly hurt. His replacement was a stand out when he came on. Ref was another $#@!in cheatin ****. Darren McGregor was immense Fraser Fyvie was good. Lennons got them telt at half time that the ref was a $#@!in cheatin **** and tae go oot and beat him, the team didnae just huv Dunfermline tae beat they also had tae beat that $#@!in cheatin **** of a ref. Well done laddies👍

He obviously only trusts Hanlon to have the ability to play in the middle of the three. If it was to be done when Fonts is out then Hanlon would have to play on the left and the other two are both very right footed. Hanlon is able to play either side, even though he favours his left. Fonts is left footed, Darren is right footed and Paul can cover either side sitting in the middle of the three. It works. I think as long as Hanlon and Fonts are both available he will favour it.
    Certainly looks like that, so why on earth has he gambled on Hanlon and Fontaine being availalable for every game in order to play his preferred formation? He had a choice of signing Forster or Gunnarsonn(or another sweeper/ball playing 'right footer') and chose an aggressive but limited Forster, thus limiting 3 at the back when the inevitable injuries and suspensions arise.

377 Post(s)
    @1875They said on the radio that NL wasn't happy that JC had put on weight over the international break and this is what they believe the cause of the falling out to be.

217 Post(s)
    5704 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OB1875 View Post
    @1875They said on the radio that NL wasn't happy that JC had put on weight over the international break and this is what they believe the cause of the falling out to be.
    Strange that don't you think, given he was on the bench for us v St Mirren during the international break?

377 Post(s)
    Strange that don't you think, given he was on the bench for us v St Mirren during the international break?
    It is a little strange. Something has definitely happened.

2085 Post(s)
    It is a little strange. Something has definitely happened.
    Plus, he played the game after the Scotland game. The full game too, rather than his obligatory subbing. I think the radio chaps are talking pish TBH. Another rumour is JC missed the Hibs golf day and Lennon was livid. Plausible? Or, boringly, he simply could just have a slight hamstring niggle?

379 Post(s)
    Maybe it's because he's been critical off him lately and just showing his power and dropping him for a game! With Keatings injured he'll more than likely be back on Saturday

377 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4MMY View Post
    Maybe it's because he's been critical off him lately and just showing his power and dropping him for a game! With Keatings injured he'll more than likely be back on Saturday
    Or we will see Graham, that will be interesting. I definitely think something has gone on, where are all our itk folk.

143 Post(s)
    4276 Post(s)
    My man was surprised he was dropped. He's got what he referred to as a steady girlfriend who was errr a steadying influence.

I suspect he's got a niggling thigh, oh aye ;-) strain!

379 Post(s)
    Or we will see Graham, that will be interesting. I definitely think something has gone on, where are all our itk folk.
    It is possibly but no sure if NL will want too start with both holt and graham! He could always start Boyle instead off keats...we will just have to wait and see I guess

3185 Post(s)
    Horses for courses?
    Im not sure if NL knows his best first X1 or formation tbh. Chops and changes both, which can work if it is as above, but it hasnt been working which makes me think he still doesn't know.... which is not great.
    Wasnt at the game so cheers again for an excellent report Mark

2498 Post(s)
    Thanks for the report...

Just back home tonight..been down south at the week-end at my brothers place and was lucky enough to attend the Bradford v Sheffield United match at a packed out Valley Parade on Saturday....3-3 draw..one of the best matches I have seen for a long time.

Anyway..

Great to see Hibs back to winning ways again against the Pars and it sounds like the proverbial game of two halves from a Hibs perspective. Saw the highlights and that was a good finish from Graham at the end. Let's hope we can now kick-start our season with this result and go on a long run of victories starting this Saturday against St Mirren at Easter Road.

379 Post(s)
    Sorry if it's already been posted but just watched the 'goalmouth action' on dafc highlights and it shows a clear angle off the pen...the dunf boy kicks his own players leg and falls over! can see it clearly here it's right at the start

Twitter

2085 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4MMY View Post
    Sorry if it's already been posted but just watched the 'goalmouth action' on dafc highlights and it shows a clear angle off the pen...the dunf boy kicks his own players leg and falls over! can see it clearly here it's right at the start

Twitter
    Yip. No pen.

379 Post(s)
    Yip. No pen.
    Yeah certainly wasn't! Was the first time I'd seen it with a decent angle that's no at the top off a stand. Shocking decision, it goes to show with Darren mcgregor saying the ref couldn't tell him what hibs player fouled which Dunfermline player that's an astonishing yet somehow not surprising statement for a Scottish referee to make