Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4713 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and that was a message for you Rudi...Yer finished

Just back and that was a message for you Rudi. Yer finished. Done. Maybe a new job could be taking the referee to Specsavers.

With 1875 currently emulating the Bounce Judith Chalmers, @Jack, on what must be the 50th holiday of his birthday year, I found myself heading over the water to the Kingdom this afternoon, on call again for my 8th "Just Back" of the campaign. Before the last one I commented that I hoped it would be lucky seven. That didn't come to pass on a dreich afternoon in Dumfries but it also didn't put me off looking out superstitiously for other omens ahead of today's clash at Stark's Park. Unfortunately, the most obvious omen was I was on Just Back again...and it was pishing down with rain again. That didn't bode well. I mean, it's not as if we'd end up a player short and playing with ten men again, would we? As if...

Awww, nut.

Last season, we played Rovers a remarkable 7 times that involved 4 visits across the water to sit in the Val McDermid Stand. Playoffs aside, the trips were generally enjoyable occasions. Rovers were the most accommodating away side we visited all last season, they treated us well and their manager acted with dignity some of his peers in that division could have learned from (the f@nnies that they are). It was my favourite away day and I looked forward to the occasions when they arose. Nothing could be further from the truth this time out.

Gone, the respectful and articulate Ray McKinnon and his sweaters. In, the slavering Gunt of Midlothian, Gary Locke. Gone, the likes of Toshney, Laidlaw and Hardie. In, the likes of maroon morons Smith, McHattie...and, of course, Arch Gunt Skacel. We've already had a range of pantomime baddies of the bloodied turd variety this season. Hammill at QotS (boooooo). Ryan Stevenson and Darren Barr at Dumbarton (double booooo). However, this is the Gunt pantomime baddie of all Gunt pantomime baddies. The nasally challenged L-oser from Prague. The man they love to love even though he turned them over for a small fortune at the time they weren't paying their charities, small businesses and other associated creditors. Whilst Mad Vlad orchestrated the masses from the front, the Czech worked them from behind. And they bent over and took it. Right up there with the likes of Walter Kidd, he was a hero made in their own image...and that alone is a sight to keep the bairns away from the fire. However, unlike the pantomime baddies of Dumbarton and Dumfries, the Arch Gunt just didn't turn up. He was awful. Rank rotten. Anonymous. Two out of three of those adjectives could also be applied today to referee Steven Finnie. Sadly, the last one didn't.

Hibs lined up with a couple of changes from the side that bombed out the National Fizzy Juice Cup last weekend. Change was definitely needed and we saw the much needed return of Lewis to the "regular" back four. In midfield, McGinn replaced McGeouch, Bartley came in for Shinnie to line up alongside Fyvie and Keats. Up front there was a return for Grant Holt to partner Jason.

The game was far removed from the more civilised affairs of last season. Rovers were robust in the challenge and were regularly leaving something on Hibs players in the tackle. They were clearly trying to make it physical, to break up play and stop Hibs getting any momentum.
    Referee Steven Finnie never had the game under control from the very off, most notably letting Rovers' No 20 Declan McManus off with being sent off by allowing him to have a number of fouls go unpunished. As with previous weeks, chances were few and far between but centre half M'voto had a fantastic last gasp tackle to prevent Grant Holt scoring from inside the 6 yard box after good build up play and then Paul Hanlon hit the bar with a diving header from thecorner that ensued. The first half was niggly, lacking in any real quality and the players who were standing out were the warriors - McGregor, Hanlon and Bartley. They were imperious in their play and Bartley, arguably the best player on the park, when the main talking point came to pass just before the 40th minute. Hibs were clearing their lines, Hibs had won a free kick after a foul by Barr. What happened next is unclear. Nobody around us knew what had happened. We all thought it was a foul against Barr...and when the red card came out for Bartley, we had no real concept as to why. Other than the referee was worse than Skacel...and that's saying something. It appears there seems to have been a belief that Bartley retaliated to the challenge but I genuinely didn't see it (in a non-Wenger kind of way). I heard Lennon say on the radio on the way back over the bridge that he is going to appeal it. I also saw him send Gav Gillies round to Hibs TV personnel at half time in what appeared to be an attempt to establish whether they had the footage of the incident or not. Either way, we were down to ten men for the third time in four games.

The match discipline count was only going to go from bad to worse as the referee slowly but surely lost complete control of proceedings - Holt, McManus (finally) and Thompson all being booked before the interval whistle was to go. Finnie was loudly booed from the field of play, with our manager waiting for him menacingly at the touch line. Doubtless some frank words were had.

Lennon changed the formation for the second half but made no substitutions to start with. There was a clear tactic of trying to target Holt, who was showing all his experience, nous and strength throughout proceedings.Despite being down to ten men, it often didn't look like it. Hibs were simply not content to hold on for a draw. Callachan was booked for simulation as he clearly dived trying to seek a penalty. Thankfully, this was one decision Finnie got RIGHT.

Hibs, driven on by Keatings and Holt, created a number of opportunities in the second half with a number of excellent crosses across the front of the 6 yard box but nobody was able to convert. The Hibees were also denied what appeared to be at least one good shout out of two loud penalty claims. Again, Finnie seemed to be seeing something different to everyone else in the stadium. Grant Holt was most definitely fouled inside the 6 yard box, leaving the away end apoplectic and Neil Lennon getting a telling off.

Again today, we failed to score. Not good news. However, unlike the other weeks of late, we created more and the team had more purpose. In the second half, we were actually quite entertaining and had the crowd on the edge of their seats for much of it. Stand outs were McGregor, Hanlon, Holt and Keatings. Gray and Lewis were their normal solid selves. Fyvie had a good second half, after a slow start.

Ironically, after this honking run, we find ourselves top of the league again tonight. Football is a funny old game. Don't be fooled though. Falkirk are the team with momentum and we cannot keep drawing games they win. We have had our slump, not been punished for it, and we need to kick on. The team today is closer to our best line up than the line ups of late. It was far from perfect but it can improve.

Rocky - not much to do. Good hands, not so great kicking.
    Legend - solid outing at right back
    Paul - good to have him back with Darren in the middle. Gonzo the Gunt got nothing.
    Darren - what a man mountain. Fantastic.
    Lewis - good to be back
    Fyvie - hurt his back in the warm up, it seemed to affect his first half. Second half much better.
    Super - in and out. Still more average than super.
    Bartley - possibly the best on the park until the sending off. Let's see it again before we cast judgement as to whether he was hard done by or an idiot
    JC - lively
    Keats - an excellent second half
    Holt - showed all his experience, strength and desire especially second half. Good outing.

Subs - Boyle and Graham - both on a bit late and not much time to show

Referee - THE WORST THIS SEASON BY SOME WAY.

Crowd - good traveling support. Pity some were drinking on empty heids. Boxing matches between our own fans in the first half needed police intervention. Also the numpties moaning that they had to sit in the seat their ticket was for. How difficult can that be?

Man of the Match - good shouts for Keats, Hanlon, Holt. But for me it was Darren Man Mountain McGregor. He sometimes gives the ball away but you don't get past him on form like this.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    vCash
    I can understand the subs today. We were playing fine so there was no need to make the subs other than to freshen it up. Keats and Holt were knackered so I think Lennon put on the moat similar players to that pair.

Hungry Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just back and that was a message for you Rudi. Yer finished. Done. Maybe a new job could be taking the referee to Specsavers.

Rocky - not much to do. Good hands, not so great kicking.
    Legend - solid outing at right back
    Paul - good to have him back with Darren in the middle. Gonzo the Gunt got nothing.
    Darren - what a man mountain. Fantastic.
    Lewis - good to be back
    Fyvie - hurt his back in the warm up, it seemed to affect his first half. Second half much better.
    Super - in and out. Still more average than super.
    Bartley - possibly the best on the park until the sending off. Let's see it again before we cast judgement as to whether he was hard done by or an idiot
    JC - lively
    Keats - an excellent second half
    Holt - showed all his experience, strength and desire especially second half. Good outing.

Subs - Boyle and Graham - both on a bit late and not much time to show

Referee - THE WORST THIS SEASON BY SOME WAY.

Crowd - good traveling support. Pity some were drinking on empty heids. Boxing matches between our own fans in the first half needed police intervention. Also the numpties moaning that they had to sit in the seat their ticket was for. How difficult can that be?

Man of the Match - good shouts for Keats, Hanlon, Holt. But for me it was Darren Man Mountain McGregor. He sometimes gives the ball away but you don't get passed him on form like this.
    Excellent report, son . You're clearly learning from the Master and thanks for stepping into the breach while he's away sunning himself (again).

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2499 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the report...

A fairly good result at a difficult ground given we played most of the game with 10 men. Good to see Hibs back top of the league after the end of the first quarter of the season and I am confident we will push on from here. There are concerns of course....a chronic goalscoring problem which just doesn't seem to be showing any sign of improving, and a worrying indiscipline creeping in with our third red card of the season. Both of these problems must be solved as a matter of urgency.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5713 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks pal, appreciate it. It was 24 and hot and sunny here today, I was sweating like a gunt in a swing park walking up to Wee Franks Hoose and taking a deek at the fountains in daylight. Happy to take over again next week, although I did have to turn down a free pre match pie and pint with Mr Westwater for the bounce cause (and to stop you nipping about my 50th year celebrations)!
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think you are being a bit kind to our players. First half especially, we showed a worryingly lack of desire.Created very little and generally hoofed it up the park to the cumbersome Holt. Bartley was by far our best player until he got sent off. For what I or know one around us could work out. The ref did seem in a strange rush to flash the red, though not so keen when it came to the kirkaldy tramps.
    Jason lively? Your too kind.
    On a plus note, the defence looked comfortable, but we desperately need a player with a bit guile.

Doonhamer Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    vCash
    I feel an improvement in togetherness as a squad over past week.Mr Lennon appears to have handed out some love.
    We kick on from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    Sounds like a better performance today but we can't keep trying to win games with 10 men. Taking everything into account over the last month or so it's quite astounding we have went back to the top of the league today, crazy but oh so difficult, horrible league.

Our lack of goals is a worrying puzzle. When I look at the squad I see the potential for goals galore, Cummings (obviously) Holt&Graham, both proven goal scorers. Martin Boyle was top scorer in the Championship with Dundee was he not? Shinine, McGeough, Fyvie and McGinn, all capable of shooting from distance or more importantly getting in the box. Hanlin, McGregor and Gray, great in the air but when was the last time we scored from a corner or free kick?

Everyone of our Championship rivals and most of the SPL teams would love to have the talent we have so what is the problem, confidence or the way we play?

My thought are ditch the diamond, play a flat 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 depending who we are playing and get balls and players into the box as much as possible. Sounds simple but we have the quality, we don't have to overplay at all.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    Mair lip!

But thanks for the report, can I call you SK?

I only do home games, I'm missing the next one because err I'm on holiday, so am really sort of missing my fix.

We, sorry the team, don't seem to be able to get behind defences and knock the ball in. We don't seem able to get numbers in the box the worry anyone.

Remember the first few seconds of our European sojourn? It goes back to my blitzkrieg mantra of last season.

Tora! Tora! Tora!

To mix my metagetrightfuckingintaethumphor wars.

We need to get our claws out!
    Space to let

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hibs were absolutely garbage first half...I couldn't see how we were set up to win the game personally and we looked disjointed, timid, nervous and failed to string a few passes together. It was a continuation of the past month or so of absolutely turgid $#@!e.

The ref then intervened, sending off Bartley, towards the end of the first half and the sense of injustice felt by the away support roused the team and second half the players responded. At times we played some decent stuff and in all honesty looked the far more likely to score . I thought second half was the best we've played in a good few weeks..if we'd matched that intensity first half we'd have been a couple up. We made a couple of subs (too late imo) and it didn;t really have any impact on the game as far as I could see.

In summary, plusses and negatives..we still seem strangely out of sorts in general and the football with 11 men was enough to make me consider sacking off the rest of the season tbh. Second half the heart and desire to win the 3 points was admirable and I enjoyed the 45 mins more than I have for a good while.

Lennon is far from convincing in the hot seat so far but we're top of a very. very poor league. Tbh we dont look an awful lot better then most of our opposition, which is frustrating given the perceived quality of the individuals that make up the squad (strikers aside who other than Cummings/Keatings are $#@!e imo).

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by south west hiby View Post
    I feel an improvement in togetherness as a squad over past week.Mr Lennon appears to have handed out some love.
    We kick on from here.
    He did. He had a get together for a chat then took them all to a hotel to watch Scotland getting humped by Slovakia. After witnessing THAT he did the right and humane thing by letting them have a gid swally.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4713 Post(s)
    vCash
    Update - Nae wonder Marvin doesn't know why he was sent off. Nae wonder none of us knew what happened.

RRFC Official (@RaithRovers_FC) on Twitter

4 mins 45 in.
    Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SKII View Post
    Update - Nae wonder Marvin doesn't know why he was sent off. Nae wonder none of us knew what happened.

RRFC Official (@RaithRovers_FC) on Twitter

4 mins 45 in.
    I guess the question is was there intent as he followed through with his left leg? The Raith guy reacted as if there was intent. No matter, it's a soft soft red card if it's a card at all. The ref couldn't have been in a better position but I thought the same with his red card against Ayr, very very frustrating and costing us valuable points.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3409 Post(s)
    vCash
    My mate is an Arab. I asked him to watch the footage and tell me if he saw anything:

"Nope, no idea. Can't see any appeal failing. Wonder what the ref thought he saw?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    My mate is an Arab. I asked him to watch the footage and tell me if he saw anything:

"Nope, no idea. Can't see any appeal failing. Wonder what the ref thought he saw?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to hear..I was beginning to question my sanity having seen some of the decisions that have gone against us yesterday. I was sure, like others, I must've missed Marv kick out at the Raith player but there's no evidence of that whatsoever, it seems to be Bartley's momentum carries him thru and his next step was a collision with his opponent rather than anything more sinister. As per usual in these situations the ref gave himself no thinking time and flourished a red theatrically for what he thought he saw rather than what actually happened.

I'm also sure, having now seen the highlights too, that we should have had a pen when Holt was wrestled to the ground in the second half. Indeed, there were a few incidents in the box from our free kicks and corners where we consistantly seemed to have players manhandled, pulled or impeded and the ref gave the free kick to Raith. It was an infuriating performance from another utterly incompetent official.

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)
    vCash
    Check this angle....

Jamie on Twitter:

Corrupt!