217 Post(s)
    5712 Post(s)

Alan Stubbs - An Appreciation

Alan Stubbs won Hibernian FC the Scottish Cup, and for that I thank him for the best footballing day of my life.

I wish him every success in his career.

Thanks again Stubbsy, on May 21st 2016 you became a Hibernian legend.

725 Post(s)
    He leaves a Hibernian legend as a result of our magnificent and long awaited cup win.
    That said, I do hope Rotherham are relegated as I think he should have stayed and seen the job through to a promotion and I feel this move is a mistake.

3409 Post(s)
    Agreed. No hard feelings at all. Would love to meet the man and shake his hand. Good luck Stubbsy.

NEXT!!

787 Post(s)
    Might leave as the man that brought us the SC but he hasn't half slapped the club in the face.

482 Post(s)
    All the best, Stubbsy. Thanks for an unforgettable weekend. But don't come looking for any players.

86 Post(s)
    Alan Stubbs won Hibernian FC the Scottish Cup, and for that I thank him for the best footballing day of my life.

I wish him every success in his career.

Thanks again Stubbsy, on May 21st 2016 you became a Hibernian legend.
    I also wish him every success, as long as it's not achieved by any of our players. I experienced the best day of my 'football' life on May 21st. That day will always be linked to Alan Stubbs. Loyalty left football a long time ago.

Nutty Radge
    242 Post(s)
    You gave me and my family the best day to date being a Hibby Goodluck !

553 Post(s)
    One brilliant cup run this season, one good one. And if either of them hadn't happened I think we'd have went up... But we didn't. And if he'd stuck around for another season and failed to go up next year he'd have been emptied at the end of his contract and pretty close to unemployable (certainly in England).

He took us over when we were at as low a point as we've been in my life. He left us as happy as we've ever been, no hard feelings from me, and good luck to him. He's left us with a good squad. Onwards.

305 Post(s)
    21 May was a day never to be forgotten and for that I will always be grateful and thankful.

You will always be welcome here; Hibs legend. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

23 Post(s)
    874 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    Might leave as the man that brought us the SC but he hasn't half slapped the club in the face.
    He probably feels that he repaid the faith shown in him by delivering the Scottish Cup.

Equally, it's an indication of where Scottish football sits thanks to terrible management from the top for far too many years. A relegation fight is preferable to a European adventure following scenes of utter ecstasy?

So it would seem.

In any event... Good luck, Alan. I wish you all the success in the world, and thank you for leading the team to what is generally considered our Holy Grail.

As it turns out, I'm not that disappointed. So long as we don't muck about in finding a replacement, I reckon we still have more than enough to win the league comfortably.

1611 Post(s)
    Thank for unforgettable memories that will live with me forever, my son witnessing what happiness you brought to us all on the 21st May 2016, you lifted our club when it was on its knees, you lifted the players when they were at there lowest after the playoffs, and more importantly you made my day at Hampden the greatest ever, Good luck Stubbsy.

Quote Originally Posted by EA2007 View Post
    He leaves a Hibernian legend as a result of our magnificent and long awaited cup win.That said, I do hope Rotherham are relegated as I think he should have stayed and seen the job through to a promotion and I feel this move is a mistake.
    I hope rotherham do well as that way it would justify him moving and it would be good for him. Wanting him to fail is a bit bitter.

622 Post(s)
    If I'm honest this leaves a pretty sour taste in my mouth and I can't help thinking he's bottled it. So long and thanks for all the cup.

Sent by telepathy.

Nothing will ever come close to the emotions I felt when we had 1 Min left at Hampden.
    Thought my heart was going to burst.A day I simply will never forget,for so many reasons.
    Thank you Alan and your staff and players for the best of days.
    Good luck with your future career.
    We are Hibernian FC.
    Last edited by south west hiby; 01-06-16 at 06:01.

561 Post(s)
    Thanks Alan that was the best weekend of my life. Superb moments that I never thought I would have with my family.

Think Rotherham might be my favourite English team while he's there. I dunno if I could live without my family for more than 2 years so if moving back beside them is a reason then I can see why he's away.

2499 Post(s)
    Alan Stubbs took on a massive challenge two years ago. A broken club on it's knees...unexpectedly relegated, with hardly any players. Hibs were deservedly relegated from the top league at the worst time in the history of Scottish football. With a resurgent Hearts and the Rangers with their much higher player budget to fight off it was always going to be difficult in that first season for a rookie manager but as it happened we defied the odds by finishing second above the Rangers. This season we have went backwards in the league unbelievably finishing third behind Houston's scrappers. I agree the cup runs made it more difficult for us to get promoted this season, but I also felt that as the season went on it became harder for our youngish squad to deal with the pressures of having to win every single week. When it was clear the league title was beyond us the psychological impact on the team was evident and the team's form dipped. Hibs have been the best cup team in Scotland this season however and fully deserved to win the Scottish Cup. They should also have won the League Cup in March.

Stubbs overall has done a good, solid job with Hibs given what he inherited...and he gave Hibernian and their fans their best ever day on May 21st. It was a phenomenal achievement to win the Scottish Cup and Stubbs rightly will be hailed a Hibs legend for evermore because of it. Personally, I feel his performance as a manager in the league has not been as accomplished. Finishing behind Falkirk was totally unacceptable no matter the circumstances. Our team simply did not score enough goals in both seasons Stubbs was in charge and we paid the price for that in both seasons. Many matches particularly at Easter Road were a bit of a grind to be honest...Hibs toiling to break down teams and a lack of imagination and willingness to change things early enough a factor in many games. It was a dreadful disappointment to fail for the second season running to gain promotion and we will pay a price for that over the summer IMO. He was hired to get Hibs promoted and at the end of the day he failed. His real successes have been in the cup competitions where he has excelled as a manager. I think Alan Stubbs would have been a great manager for Hibs had we been in the top league where teams come at us week after week, but ultimately his teams style of play was not what was needed to get us out of this league.

It's no real surprise he is heading back south at this stage of his career IMO. Most young ambitious English managers and coaches stay up here for a couple of years only..three at a push. They will have almost always left their families behind and eventually the pull is there to get back nearer to them and to a level of football and wages which are significantly above ours. IMO he will only have ever intended to stay for two seasons here. Stubbs has the chance at Rotherham to establish them as a competitive Championship club and if he does that he will attract a bigger club after a couple of years or so and move on again. I'm afraid it's a fact of life that Scottish football is no more than a learning station for ambitious young coaches and players.

Thank you for rebuilding our squad so well Alan in real adversity, for bringing so many very talented young players to Easter Road, for building good solid foundations for the future of our club, and most of all for winning Hibs the Scottish Cup and giving the long suffering Hibs fans the greatest week-end of their lives.

Good luck with your future career.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 31-05-16 at 21:53.

6424 Post(s)
    Delivered the Holy Grail.

Can't say fairer than that.

All debts are paid and you're free to go.

Pity you developed a sweet tooth, but may all your chocolates be delicious and I hope you don't develop a peanut allergy.

For as long as you manage outwith Scotland.

213 Post(s)
    Alan Stubbs, you made me and my family achieve a lifetime dream....witnessing Hibernian Football Club Winning The Scottish Cup.
    You WILL be a Legend FOREVER in our lives.
    I wish you an amazing career in Football management.
    Good luck Alan. Your family will be glad your back down nearer them.
    Glory Glory.
    Your welcome back anytime.
    ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS OF AN APPROACHING NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IS THE BELIEF THAT ONES WORK IS TERRIBLY IMPORTANT

6578 Post(s)
    As far as I'm concerned the best manager we've had in my lifetime for delivering the Holy Grail and as @wee 162 says above had we not got to either cup final we would have gone up. It wasn't acceptable finishing behind Falkirk or losing to them in a play-off but there were genuine unique circumstances.

Stubbs gave us back the feel good factor making us love our club again. And he gave us some truly tremendous moment's.

A legend. Thank you Alan and very best wishes in your career path to get the job you really want. Everton FC.

Hungry Radge

840 Post(s)
    Thanks Stubbsy for managing our club with dignity, for restoring self belief in our players and for delivering the Scottish Cup after 114 years. Good luck in the future.

4457 Post(s)
    Aye, cheers Stubbs, 21/5/16 was simply barry.

Go and dinnae be a $#@! and come back for McGinn, though.

1169 Post(s)
    Forever will I be thankful too him.
    Can't get it out my head his last interview when he denied he was going anywhere , talking about already planning for next season. Telling us porkies it seems.
    I don't think Hibs would have sacked him if he hadnt won the cup. There is absolutely zero loyalty in football now. Maybe there never has been.

Good luck to him, he's always welcome around these parts .

317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    Forever will I be thankful too him.
    Can't get it out my head his last interview when he denied he was going anywhere , talking about already planning for next season. Telling us porkies it seems.
    I don't think Hibs would have sacked him if he hadnt won the cup. There is absolutely zero loyalty in football now. Maybe there never has been.

Good luck to him, he's always welcome around these parts .
    To kinda paraphrase Danny Baker - the only loyalty in football is the fans! Every other single person inside the stadium be they stewards, kiosk servers, programme sellers, police, coaches, groundstaff, press , players or management are being paid to be there - the ONLY ONES PAYING TO GET IN are the fans. Every other **** it's just a job. For the fans it's real life!!
    We, as fans, are mugs if we expect the non payers to have the slightest clue how we really feel about OUR club.

1634 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    To kinda paraphrase Danny Baker - the only loyalty in football is the fans! Every other single person inside the stadium be they stewards, kiosk servers, programme sellers, police, coaches, groundstaff, press , players or management are being paid to be there - the ONLY ONES PAYING TO GET IN are the fans. Every other **** it's just a job. For the fans it's real life!!
    We, as fans, are mugs if we expect the non payers to have the slightest clue how we really feel about OUR club.
    Nice number of posts there Brian.

Guys and girls I can't emphasise how much your words are encouraging and helping me. This battle has barely started but I know you'll be by my side every step of the way - it's giving me great strength - Shaun 16/03/2016

106 Post(s)
    We, the Hibernian family, delivered the holy grail. I don't know who deserves the credit but we did it. Personally I don't think Alan Stubbs is better or worse than many managers we've had over the years. Right place , right time, he gets the plaudits, he leaves with no ill will from me. But this is our trophy, not his.

Optomistic Radge

685 Post(s)
    I looked him straight in the eye on Leith Walk during the parade. He nodded at me, 3 times he looked back and nodded. My missus was in tears, "Acky he saw you, he heard you, he got you". I knew then he was off to be honest. So Proud is what I shouted, So proud. I wish I had shouted Thank you. I hope you see this thread Stubbs, because you have changed our club forever. Thanks will never be enough.
    " It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out: it is the pebble in your shoe" Muhammad Ali

432 Post(s)
    I have nothing but unstinting admiration for Alan Stubbs who as well as giving us all our greatest football day completly rewrote history by winning the Scottish Cup with a lower league side knocking out higher league SPFL teans virtually every step of the way.

Such an immense achievement is totally without parallel in modern day Scottish football.

He was undoubtedly right to move on both for family and footballing reaons as he has a better job in a far more high profile league in his own country and he keeps ahead of the game as football is a vicious sport where failure inevitably ends in instant dismissal.

Good luck in the future and thank you is nowhere near enough for what you achieved.
    Last edited by SlovSam; 01-06-16 at 02:31.

143 Post(s)
    4276 Post(s)
    I'll reserve judgement on St Stubbs until midway through the season and he's done nothing player wise to jeopardise our promotion chances.

Any attempt to sign any of our players or the likes of Liam Henderson and I'll not be a happy bunny.

I can't say either that I'm overly happy about the way he's leaving after all the stuff around prep for next season.

The Holy Grail was fantastic but we're still in the second division.

Hero to less than zero potentially.

Nah, my application to the AS appreciation society is some way off.

3814 Post(s)
    I'll reserve judgement on St Stubbs until midway through the season and he's done nothing player wise to jeopardise our promotion chances.

Any attempt to sign any of our players or the likes of Liam Henderson and I'll not be a happy bunny.

I can't say either that I'm overly happy about the way he's leaving after all the stuff around prep for next season.

Me too for same reasons

Sky Telly Radge

61 Post(s)
    Thank you Alan for that special day on 21.05.2016...You will live long in the memory now as a Hibernian legend.

All the best in the future "Stubbsy".

6 Post(s)
    638 Post(s)

I kind of feel like I've been dumped by a bird. I want to pretend I don't care, all the best, keep my head up etc, but deep down I'm totally gutted and not looking forward to seeing her about Rotherham with a new man. And we all know that's when this feeling becomes bitter.

Eternal thanks for the cup, I just wish you'd have seen us back to the Premier league. He could have really been a figure for us to get behind and grow our home crowds this coming season. Leaving a week after the cup celebrations and talk of next season has really left a bad taste im afraid.

1567 Post(s)
    Thanks Alan, it's been an amazing journey.

2206 Post(s)
    Scottish cup really was a fantastic get out clause...but I am more than happy he did it. Woulda took the cup over the league right at start of season and to also have runner up in League cup is pretty good too...there is 38 other league teams who would have loved to have made either final. I honestly think he is simply missing being near his family...my son in the army is undergoing a similar situation where his wife is based down south and he is in Fife and having to travel just to get a couple of days every couple of weeks together.

The club to my mind also played a blinder, as Stubbs was on a rolling contract the first year...which changed to a two year contract. If that didn't happen he could have walked for nothing, instead we will get around £100k to put towards a new manager, pretty good business.

And although I reckon we would win next season with AS at the helm, there was no guarantee, and we might have come to regret keeping him on and sour that cup win.

All the best Alan, hope you do well..and spread the word around to up and coming footballers they will be welcome here

I hope he doesn't come sniffing around...though with Henderson. that is kinda out our hands and celtic will have a say in that, where they want him to be

53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy View Post
    Scottish cup really was a fantastic get out clause...but I am more than happy he did it. Woulda took the cup over the league right at start of season and to also have runner up in League cup is pretty good too...there is 38 other league teams who would have loved to have made either final. I honestly think he is simply missing being near his family...my son in the army is undergoing a similar situation where his wife is based down south and he is in Fife and having to travel just to get a couple of days every couple of weeks together. The club to my mind also played a blinder, as Stubbs was on a rolling contract the first year...which changed to a two year contract. If that didn't happen he could have walked for nothing, instead we will get around £100k to put towards a new manager, pretty good business. And although I reckon we would win next season with AS at the helm, there was no guarantee, and we might have come to regret keeping him on and sour that cup win.All the best Alan, hope you do well..and spread the word around to up and coming footballers they will be welcome here - - - Updated - - -I hope he doesn't come sniffing around...though with Henderson. that is kinda out our hands and celtic will have a say in that, where they want him to be
    Apparently he Resigned as we said no... compo, gone!

130 Post(s)
    Thank you Stubbsy, Doolan and Holden. The best of luck down south.
    Erin Go Bragh

174 Post(s)
    6674 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeBizzle View Post
    Apparently he Resigned as we said no... compo, gone!
    Despite the reports in the papers about the amount of compensation agreed between the clubs

4709 Post(s)
    Despite the reports in the papers about the amount of compensation agreed between the clubs
    Why did he resign then Dub?

174 Post(s)
    6674 Post(s)
    Why did he resign then Dub?
    I don't know S. I wasn't aware he had although I see on one of the other Stubbs threads that it has been reported that he did resign.

379 Post(s)
    If he has resigned cause we didn't want him to go I feel we may have cut our noses off to spite our face, he wanted to go so now a days there's really no keeping someone that wants away, should've took the 120k compo and said our goodbyes especially when we are going on about finances being down this season that money could've went a long way! This is all just rumours just now but I really hope it's not true.

53 Post(s)
    Just going by what I've read online. Probably better to wait till the club put out a statement right enough. I always thought if a manager resigned he's a free agent as such?

376 Post(s)
    I like Stubbs, he never achieved his no1 priority but he did secure a small consolation prize that gave most of us the best day of our Hibs supporting life.

I reckon he has paid his dues to us because of this and the way he and his back room staff have helped pull the club up from its knees.

I have nothing but best wishes for Alan and his assistants. I will also follow Rotherham next season hoping they do well.

3409 Post(s)
    We better have been compensated. This is a new one to me.

143 Post(s)
    4276 Post(s)
    I don't fancy their chances of avoiding compensation even if he did resign.

And even if Rotherham, $#@!ing Rotherham for $#@!s sake, didn't cough up then Stubbs would have to which would probably mean $#@!ing Rotherham pay anyway.

I don't fancy their chances of avoiding compensation even if he did resign.

And even if Rotherham, $#@!ing Rotherham for $#@!s sake, didn't cough up then Stubbs would have to which would probably mean $#@!ing Rotherham pay anyway.
    The it I don't get is that if you can just get out of compensation like this, why doesn't it always happen? Why is there a transfer market at all?

6424 Post(s)
    Simply resigning doesn't mean 'no compensation' or that would be the norm.

It's simply that the two clubs could not agree a sum.
    Stubbs therefore has forced the issue (as he has to) in order to sign a new contract with Rubberham or wherever it is he has gone.

We will still be entitled to compensation, but unless the clubs agree (which they will) we will need to engage an employment lawyer.

Maybe someone like Amanda - who is on our Board and will give advice for free!

Space Cadet Radge

972 Post(s)
    This is what you will be remembered for, thank you for the best weekend of my life I will remember it forever

3814 Post(s)
    Stubbs breached his contract but Rotherham will pay instead of him . I personally hope they get relegated .
    Just another example manager chasing money , he'll come unstuck soon enough

6578 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    Stubbs breached his contract but Rotherham will pay instead of him . I personally hope they get relegated .
    Just another example manager chasing money , he'll come unstuck soon enough
    Anyone any different though to be fair?

3576 Post(s)

I agree.