Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 98

Thread: Uber

  1. #1
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10

    Uber

    I remember there being thread prior to Uber launch in Edinburgh but none since. Is anyone else using it and what are your thoughts?

    I've regularly used the app (took an Uber from Slateford to ER for Falkirk game most recently) and totally sold. It's way cheaper provided surge rates aren't on. I also find the app efficient and easy to use, a vast improvement on calling a booking office. The drivers also have a reason to behave as they are reviewed after trips. Too often I've got in a cab and the driver is on the hands free and does not interact at all. Other gripes would be shabby/dirty vehicles or the old favourite of taking passengers the scenic route. Uber actually tracks your journey so if you are taken a mad route it is easy to challenge and claim your money back.

    Has anyone used the app as a driver yet? I was considering working a Friday or Saturday night but haven't yet taken the leap. I need to get myself a private hire drivers licence, though this is a single A4 sheet form and costs £20. Does anyone know what private hire insurance costs?

  2. #2
    Radge Donator


    brianmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    483
    Are you sure about that £20?? From memory I think an Edinburgh Private Hire licence is about £150 for the driver and over £500 to get the car licence. As for insurance I'm not sure but when I started driving a PHC in West Lothian 7 years ago my insurance was about £1500 for the year. Remember you'll also need public liability insurance as well.

  3. #3
    Mustang Loving Radge
    SuperTortolano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    3,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    396
    I use them when I'm in Vegas. The cab drivers there are thieving basturds. If you do get a cab from the airport and are staying on the strip, tell the cabbie to take you via the strip. Otherwise he'll take you on some $35 magical mystery tour. Should only be about $15. Using Uber it's only about $12.

  4. #4
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4689 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1366
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use them when I'm in Vegas. The cab drivers there are thieving basturds. If you do get a cab from the airport and are staying on the strip, tell the cabbie to take you via the strip. Otherwise he'll take you on some $35 magical mystery tour. Should only be about $15. Using Uber it's only about $12.
    We got duped by a taxi driver when we were in LA from the airport to the hotel. Wasn't happy when I said to him "have we no been past this bit twice?" and then took us to the wrong hotel. $#@!. Lesson learnt.

  5. #5
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    $#@! Uber. Your OP suggesting that Uber will take you a more direct route than a qualified black taxi driver is laughable. Uber should be paying the bounce advertising fees for the OP advertorial and I'm tempted to report it to ASA for it bollocks content.

  6. #6
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $#@! Uber. Your OP suggesting that Uber will take you a more direct route than a qualified black taxi driver is laughable. Uber should be paying the bounce advertising fees for the OP advertorial and I'm tempted to report it to ASA for it bollocks content.
    Black cab drivers never take you a less than direct route? Bollocks and laughable statement. My point is that if they do you can rate and also you have proof of the poor service. Neither of these things you can do in a black cab or private hireGo ahead and report me. I was sent by the uber time machine six years into the past to create a hibee bounce sleeper account in order to achieve free advertising.Yeah right. Get a grip.Taxi! Driver?

  7. #7
    Radge Monthly Contributor






    emerald green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Far away
    Posts
    3,684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    950 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $#@! Uber. Your OP suggesting that Uber will take you a more direct route than a qualified black taxi driver is laughable. Uber should be paying the bounce advertising fees for the OP advertorial and I'm tempted to report it to ASA for it bollocks content.
    It certainly isnt laughable. Couple of years back I went in a jola wi geordie lads new to the capital. Its was scenic to say the least.

    You see that driver only heard the gordie voices, but he heard mine when it was time to pay!

  8. #8
    Radge Private Member





    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    A stool at the bar
    Posts
    11,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4251 Post(s)
    vCash
    1562
    Rep Power
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It certainly isnt laughable. Couple of years back I went in a jola wi geordie lads new to the capital. Its was scenic to say the least.

    You see that driver only heard the gordie voices, but he heard mine when it was time to pay!
    Ah but there were roadworks, delays, police incident and a plague of locusts the more direct route!

    I think taxi drivers do a decent, sometimes difficult job.

    They're crap drivers though who think many of the normal rules of the road don't apply to them.

    Still better than private hire who think none of the rules apply to them.
    Space to let

  9. #9
    radge grandad radge

    hibbybilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gilmerting
    Posts
    8,968
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2505 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1354
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRiordan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Black cab drivers never take you a less than direct route? Bollocks and laughable statement. My point is that if they do you can rate and also you have proof of the poor service. Neither of these things you can do in a black cab or private hireGo ahead and report me. I was sent by the uber time machine six years into the past to create a hibee bounce sleeper account in order to achieve free advertising.Yeah right. Get a grip.Taxi! Driver?
    Can yi go back and see if we won the scottish this year?


    Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

  10. #10
    On holiday Radge
    broonieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    114
    Have used it a few times when black cabs have just driven on past me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Micro$oft Hating Radge
    BurbankHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    6,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTortolano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use them when I'm in Vegas. The cab drivers there are thieving basturds. If you do get a cab from the airport and are staying on the strip, tell the cabbie to take you via the strip. Otherwise he'll take you on some $35 magical mystery tour. Should only be about $15. Using Uber it's only about $12.
    There's another firm in Vegas called Lyft similar to Uber, I've never used them but people I know have used them to get a good deal on limousine rides.

    Taking the Strip is dodgy, moves at a snail's pace. OK for Airport to Luxor/MGM. Not so much for Stratosphere or Golden Nugget/Downtown.
    Charlie don't surf !

  12. #12
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can yi go back and see if we won the scottish this year?
    I'd need to worry about the butterfly effect though. Knowing my luck if I ensured we won the Scottish cup something else would go wrong. Probably return to present day to find that ER will have been taken out by a meteor!

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
    EA2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRiordan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably return to present day to find that ER will have been taken out by a meteor!

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Or some $#@!splash driving an Uber with the aid of a dodgy satnav.......

  14. #14
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by EA2007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or some $#@!splash driving an Uber with the aid of a dodgy satnav.......
    Lol - uber right to your seat! This reminds me of some of the older videos on YouTube with the disability cars that were parked at side of pitch!

    I've only ever used sat nav once, I ended up swearing lots at it. Much prefer learning and understanding where I am rather than just doing what I'm told!

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4689 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1366
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRiordan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol - uber right to your seat! This reminds me of some of the older videos on YouTube with the disability cars that were parked at side of pitch! I've only ever used sat nav once, I ended up swearing lots at it. Much prefer learning and understanding where I am rather than just doing what I'm told! Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    You'll never make an Uber driver then.

  16. #16
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'll never make an Uber driver then.
    Think their drivers use the uber app which fortunately doesn't have the voice!

    Actually been keeping an eye on Uber rates and looks like Uber has peaked as an earner in Edinburgh. Far more drivers on the road than there were six weeks ago and as a result their surge prices are less frequent and more often 1.5X instead of the 3.5X that got me interested.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRiordan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think their drivers use the uber app which fortunately doesn't have the voice!

    Actually been keeping an eye on Uber rates and looks like Uber has peaked as an earner in Edinburgh. Far more drivers on the road than there were six weeks ago and as a result their surge prices are less frequent and more often 1.5X instead of the 3.5X that got me interested.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Ha Ha!! On here extolling the virtues of Uber as a user expressing an interest in working for them and now you declare you are no longer interested as they don't activate a shafting device enough for you.... Irony of ironies.

  18. #18
    Juvenile Radge
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha Ha!! On here extolling the virtues of Uber as a user expressing an interest in working for them and now you declare you are no longer interested as they don't activate a shafting device enough for you.... Irony of ironies.
    Yes the system is volatile but I'm looking to utilise it to my advantage, be that as a customer or as someone who would like to boost his earnings.

    As a traveller if 'surge prices' are high I find another way to get from a to b. We all make hundreds similar of decisions everyday and they are all based on value and money. Only this morning I opted for the free coffee vending machine in my office instead of the Starbucks in our canteen.

    I appreciate your point about it being ironic but you are missing the point. As a user it can get me a cheap way home and I'm not going to complain about that. As someone looking to earn some extra pennies it also, though not garaunteed, can boost my earnings

    In conclusion it's all about timing, whether you're a user or a driver and it's driven by supply and demand. Planes and trains are the same so why not taxis? If you have no customers why not lower prices to attract more custom



    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6658 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    2056
    Why would you use UBER when Capital Cars 777-7777 is available, efficient and pretty quick.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

  20. #20
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you use UBER when Capital Cars 777-7777 is available, efficient and pretty quick.
    I've used Uber once and it was £11 to the airport. Usually that's £22-£26. It was early morning so even if we take the lower price it was half the normal price for the exact same service.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  21. #21
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've used Uber once and it was £11 to the airport. Usually that's £22-£26. It was early morning so even if we take the lower price it was half the normal price for the exact same service.
    Yet I bet you'd be quick to condemn folk paid below the minimum wage?

  22. #22
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet I bet you'd be quick to condemn folk paid below the minimum wage?
    But it's not as if it's a real job. A lot of the publics attitude towards taxi drivers stinks and I can honestly say I miss nothing about my former job, all the drunk pests and skinflints can walk or wait on the first bus in the morning.

  23. #23
    Radge Private Member

    Hibee Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you use UBER when Capital Cars 777-7777 is available, efficient and pretty quick.
    I've found them good as well, their app worked well too. About 20% cheaper than black cabs I think? Though one of them once agreed to take my brother back from Easter Road to Longniddry for about 25 blabs, which is great value
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

  24. #24
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it's not as if it's a real job. A lot of the publics attitude towards taxi drivers stinks and I can honestly say I miss nothing about my former job, all the drunk pests and skinflints can walk or wait on the first bus in the morning.
    Ditto. Reap what you sow...

  25. #25
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet I bet you'd be quick to condemn folk paid below the minimum wage?
    Was the driver being paid below minimum wage? Not sure how you could know that.
    I don't know the ins and outs but if he's an employee being paid less than min wage then the employer (uber) would be breaking the law. I'm guessing that's not the case and that the drivers are actually self employed. In that case, if he's making less than minimum wage then like any other self employed person, he has to decide whether to continue or make a change to his business - in this case probably get his fares elsewhere.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  26. #26
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was the driver being paid below minimum wage? Not sure how you could know that.
    I don't know the ins and outs but if he's an employee being paid less than min wage then the employer (uber) would be breaking the law. I'm guessing that's not the case and that the drivers are actually self employed. In that case, if he's making less than minimum wage then like any other self employed person, he has to decide whether to continue or make a change to his business - in this case probably get his fares elsewhere.
    I'm sorry but that's a complete cop out.

    Yes, the driver is self employed and yes thanks to you he was paid less than the minimum wage thanks to your good self.

  27. #27
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry but that's a complete cop out.

    Yes, the driver is self employed and yes thanks to you he was paid less than the minimum wage thanks to your good self.
    Firstly, he's self employed. That should be all that needs to be said. But just for a laugh let's take a look at what you're suggesting. So, when I got out of the cab, I should have calculated his entire income for the year, basically done his tax return for him and whatever he was being paid under minimum wage, I should have added that to the fare?

    Whilst acting as his accountant, if what you are saying is true and he's working for less than minimum wage, I'd throw in some free financial advice along the lines of "stop being a fecking mug and go work for a company where you can make a living".

    One final point which will blow your argument to $#@!, as if that were required. The driver moved from another cab company to work for uber, presumably for better terms.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  28. #28
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, he's self employed. That should be all that needs to be said. But just for a laugh let's take a look at what you're suggesting. So, when I got out of the cab, I should have calculated his entire income for the year, basically done his tax return for him and whatever he was being paid under minimum wage, I should have added that to the fare?

    Whilst acting as his accountant, if what you are saying is true and he's working for less than minimum wage, I'd throw in some free financial advice along the lines of "stop being a fecking mug and go work for a company where you can make a living".

    One final point which will blow your argument to $#@!, as if that were required. The driver moved from another cab company to work for uber, presumably for better terms.
    He's self employed but it isn't him that sets the tariff or the fare.

  29. #29
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's self employed but it isn't him that sets the tariff or the fare.
    He decides where to get his fares from though.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  30. #30
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He decides where to get his fares from though.
    And workers exploited by zero hour contracts decide to work for such employers so no difference?

  31. #31
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    @hibadelic - self employment is not all that needs to be said. What we have here is technology enabling wages / earnings to be driven down just as in so many other areas.

    This model is going to make inroads into jobs I for one had previously thought were a bit better insulated than office jobs and the like. I suspect we'll gradually see uberisation of more and more self employed jobs as technology enables a downward bidding war.

    Good for the consumer but then almost all consumers are also earners so what you gain on one side you lose on the other. By all means use über but it's a bit hollow when those who do then complain about wealth polarisation and the like.

    Here we have an example where cause and effect of our buying decisions are more transparent (and that's all they are, our decisions still force jobs offshore etc there are just more layers in the way obscuring cause and effect)

  32. #32
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @hibadelic - self employment is not all that needs to be said. What we have here is technology enabling wages / earnings to be driven down just as in so many other areas.

    This model is going to make inroads into jobs I for one had previously thought were a bit better insulated than office jobs and the like. I suspect we'll gradually see uberisation of more and more self employed jobs as technology enables a downward bidding war.

    Good for the consumer but then almost all consumers are also earners so what you gain on one side you lose on the other. By all means use über but it's a bit hollow when those who do then complain about wealth polarisation and the like.

    Here we have an example where cause and effect of our buying decisions are more transparent (and that's all they are, our decisions still force jobs offshore etc there are just more layers in the way obscuring cause and effect)
    Games completely up the pole for taxis (and Uber?) soon anyway. Automated taxis will presumably be one if the first uses of self driving technology which is just round the corner.

    I expect you have a point but to blame the consumer is bollocks IMO
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  33. #33
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And workers exploited by zero hour contracts decide to work for such employers so no difference?
    No, by definition they are being exploited so that's a big difference.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  34. #34
    Player Sponsor



    Wannabehibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East of WeegieLand
    Posts
    7,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4689 Post(s)
    vCash
    1275
    Rep Power
    1366
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Games completely up the pole for taxis (and Uber?) soon anyway. Automated taxis will presumably be one if the first uses of self driving technology which is just round the corner.I expect you have a point but to blame the consumer is bollocks IMO
    Johnnycab

  35. #35
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Games completely up the pole for taxis (and Uber?) soon anyway. Automated taxis will presumably be one if the first uses of self driving technology which is just round the corner.

    I expect you have a point but to blame the consumer is bollocks IMO
    Why, because we prefer to blame some imagined fat cats rather than take responsibility for our own role?

    I'm not expecting driverless taxis anytime soon - but you are right with the basic point that tech will leave many jobless. A more immediate example of your point is cloud computing undercutting the offshorers.

  36. #36
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why, because we prefer to blame some imagined fat cats rather than take responsibility for our own role?

    I'm not expecting driverless taxis anytime soon - but you are right with the basic point that tech will leave many jobless. A more immediate example of your point is cloud computing undercutting the offshorers.
    Because most of us simply aren't qualified to and don't have enough information to make a judgement on the business models of every company we pay money to. That Uber drivers are being exploited more than other cab company's drivers is far from clear IMO

    On driverless cars, we're talking about 5 years by most estimates. I'd consider that soon.

  37. #37
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, by definition they are being exploited so that's a big difference.
    And how wasn't the uber driver? There's no difference. Both are unfortunately forced into accepting the fate the market has given.... in this respect you are no different from Mr Mike Ashley!! 😉

  38. #38
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how wasn't the uber driver? There's no difference. Both are unfortunately forced into accepting the fate the market has given.... in this respect you are no different from Mr Mike Ashley!! 😉
    I checked a couple of websites where cabbies were discussing who they should get their fares from. It seemed like there wasn't a huge amount of difference but also that there was no reason to work solely for Uber. You've not addressed my point that drivers are leaving other companies in droves to work for Uber. To me that doesn't sound like exploitation.

    You are Worse than Hitler.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  39. #39
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because most of us simply aren't qualified to and don't have enough information to make a judgement on the business models of every company we pay money to. That Uber drivers are being exploited more than other cab company's drivers is far from clear IMO

    On driverless cars, we're talking about 5 years by most estimates. I'd consider that soon.
    with all due respect that is a complete cop out.

    You know that über fees are much lower than a black cab and you know that money doesn't grow on trees. Therefore even with out taxi drivers telling you - as they are - it is obvious that earnings are being driven down.

    We know enough - all the stuff about being an accountant is not required. If you want to delegate all responsibility for your choices to 'those who ken' then it seems to me you have little comeback on how society develops under their direction - by your own words you / we are not qualified to have a say. This is, after all, somewhat more straightforward than the great tides of globalisation - which are fuelled by consumers like you and me wishing to pay rates that undercut western labour.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I checked a couple of websites where cabbies were discussing who they should get their fares from. It seemed like there wasn't a huge amount of difference but also that there was no reason to work solely for Uber. You've not addressed my point that drivers are leaving other companies in droves to work for Uber. To me that doesn't sound like exploitation.

    You are Worse than Hitler.
    there has never been a problem in getting labour to undercut the next guy. You could very plausibly argue that plate holders are akin to a union closed shop holding the consumer over a barrel. But, you know, Welcome to Thatcherism.

  40. #40
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I checked a couple of websites where cabbies were discussing who they should get their fares from. It seemed like there wasn't a huge amount of difference but also that there was no reason to work solely for Uber. You've not addressed my point that drivers are leaving other companies in droves to work for Uber. To me that doesn't sound like exploitation.

    You are Worse than Hitler.
    With respect if you are suggesting any black cabbie is leaving an Edinburgh black taxi company like Central Taxi's, City Cabs or Com Cabs to drive for Uber I'm not believing you.

    And if you are you are worse than Dr Josef Goebbels.

  41. #41
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    @hibadelic - 5 years from now if there are driverless taxis free roaming in Edinburgh (ie not running on virtual rails) I'll donate 20 quid to bounce server. If there are not, you will? In the unlikely event we remember this thread, do we have a deal?

  42. #42
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    with all due respect that is a complete cop out.

    You know that über fees are much lower than a black cab and you know that money doesn't grow on trees. Therefore even with out taxi drivers telling you - as they are - it is obvious that earnings are being driven down.

    We know enough - all the stuff about being an accountant is not required. If you want to delegate all responsibility for your choices to 'those who ken' then it seems to me you have little comeback on how society develops under their direction - by your own words you / we are not qualified to have a say. This is, after all, somewhat more straightforward than the great tides of globalisation - which are fuelled by consumers like you and me wishing to pay rates that undercut western labour.

    - - - Updated - - -

    there has never been a problem in getting labour to undercut the next guy. You could very plausibly argue that plate holders are akin to a union closed shop holding the consumer over a barrel. But, you know, Welcome to Thatcherism.
    Are you certain that Uber's business isn't more efficient elsewhere? Seems to me that scale and cutting out the expensive customer service element play a massive part in the reduction in prices. I don't see Uber taking out double page ads in Yellow pages, building call centres etc and I'm sure the cost of the tech side of the business is pennies compared to local companies due to scale. I suspect their profit per mile is much smaller than normal cab companies due to the global scale.

    So, I stand by my feelings that we shouldn't allow black cab drivers who, as you say, are used to working in a protected, closed shop environment, to dictate what's right and wrong. Nor am I a fit and proper person to judge Uber without more information - I think you've been swayed too easily without doing your homework too.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  43. #43
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @hibadelic - 5 years from now if there are driverless taxis free roaming in Edinburgh (ie not running on virtual rails) I'll donate 20 quid to bounce server. If there are not, you will? In the unlikely event we remember this thread, do we have a deal?
    Let's say driverless cars rather than taxis which will no-doubt meet a ton of red tape from a council hellbent on protecting their mates in the black cabs.

    April 2021, driverless cars on the streets of Edinburgh (not just test cars) and you've got a deal.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  44. #44
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you certain that Uber's business isn't more efficient elsewhere? Seems to me that scale and cutting out the expensive customer service element play a massive part in the reduction in prices. I don't see Uber taking out double page ads in Yellow pages, building call centres etc and I'm sure the cost of the tech side of the business is pennies compared to local companies due to scale. I suspect their profit per mile is much smaller than normal cab companies due to the global scale.
    yup I'm pretty sure that's not it, given that without being an accountant I can extrapolate likely hourly earnings from fees earned minus run costs, and I'm certain that local advertising amortised over total taxi trips is negligible by comparison.
    So, I stand by my feelings that we shouldn't allow black cab drivers who, as you say, are used to working in a protected, closed shop environment, to dictate what's right and wrong. Nor am I a fit and proper person to judge Uber without more information - I think you've been swayed too easily without doing your homework too.
    are you a Thatcherite? Or conversely, are you one who wished to be directed by the 1% that know who things work?

  45. #45
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you certain that Uber's business isn't more efficient elsewhere? Seems to me that scale and cutting out the expensive customer service element play a massive part in the reduction in prices. I don't see Uber taking out double page ads in Yellow pages, building call centres etc and I'm sure the cost of the tech side of the business is pennies compared to local companies due to scale. I suspect their profit per mile is much smaller than normal cab companies due to the global scale.

    So, I stand by my feelings that we shouldn't allow black cab drivers who, as you say, are used to working in a protected, closed shop environment, to dictate what's right and wrong. Nor am I a fit and proper person to judge Uber without more information - I think you've been swayed too easily without doing your homework too.
    Uber have spent way more in marketing in Edinburgh than the black taxi trade has in the last 6 months.

  46. #46
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yup I'm pretty sure that's not it, given that without being an accountant I can extrapolate likely hourly earnings from fees earned minus run costs, and I'm certain that local advertising amortised over total taxi trips is negligible by comparison.
    are you a Thatcherite? Or conversely, are you one who wished to be directed by the 1% that know who things work?
    Really? Care to show your figures?

    Thatcherite? What we are talking about us dealing in facts not hyperbole from people with a vested interest. What I'm saying is I don't know whether Uber is a terrible thing and There's no smoking gun on this thread. Show me the facts and maybe I'll buy into your view.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  47. #47
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6539 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1847
    And my final input into this thread is that you as the consumer @hibadelic knew full well that paying the Uber driver £11 to the airport was exploitation. The driver would have to pay £1 to get out of the airport. No way for £10 was the driver of the car covering all costs. His time to get from where he was to where he was to pick you up. His time from collecting you to the airport. His time until his next fare or getting back to his starting point as he can't pick up at the airport... The fuel cost. And the cost of running/hiring the car. I find how you celebrate this end result of free market Thatcherism economics yet condemn big business corporation's similar exploitation quite baffling.

  48. #48
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uber have spent way more in marketing in Edinburgh than the black taxi trade has in the last 6 months.
    Presumably you have the figures to hand?
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  49. #49
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Care to show your figures?

    Thatcherite? What we are talking about us dealing in facts not hyperbole from people with a vested interest. What I'm saying is I don't know whether Uber is a terrible thing and There's no smoking gun on this thread. Show me the facts and maybe I'll buy into your view.
    Unlike you and smurfs Nazi exchange, Thatcherite is applied as a genuine question in response to your apparent support for a closed shop which protects earnings being bust open and control passed to the consumer. That is what Thatcherism pretty much is - and this applies however much über drivers earn. So do you concede the point that you think this is a sound principle for ordering the economy?

    As for über drivers - I'm not going on a wild goose chase for you H. You're hiding from the obvious point that like for like über rates are way cheaper ergo drivers earnings are being driven down. It's a bit undignified tbh - if you just said that the über model was preferable despite that downside (if you see it that way) or in correspondence with your apparent Thatcherite principles, then that would be rather more respectable at least from where I sit. Taking the "I'm just a wee guy what do I ken" root is a bit cringey - you're a smart guy not some naive hick and it doesn't wash. Feck it you work in the digital economy - you feckin know how this stuff works better than even the smart average joe.


    In any case as above, and this one I really can't see how you can dispute - if you can have no say here where you directly control the transaction and the choice you absolutely cannot be qualified to complain about the wider economy, Shirley ?

    - - - Updated - - -
    @hibadelic - I decided to give you one Google. Here's the picture from the US;

    http://uberdriverdiaries.com/how-muc...s-really-make/

    Unlike city cabs you can bet uber have ranks of quants working in just how far they can squeeze people. Driver rates have been cut 15/20% from the chicken feed in the survey data. The more uber squeezes out alternatives the lower it will go.

  50. #50
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And my final input into this thread is that you as the consumer @hibadelic knew full well that paying the Uber driver £11 to the airport was exploitation. The driver would have to pay £1 to get out of the airport. No way for £10 was the driver of the car covering all costs. His time to get from where he was to where he was to pick you up. His time from collecting you to the airport. His time until his next fare or getting back to his starting point as he can't pick up at the airport... The fuel cost. And the cost of running/hiring the car. I find how you celebrate this end result of free market Thatcherism economics yet condemn big business corporation's similar exploitation quite baffling.
    If you're confused it's because you're making up both sides of the argument as you go along.

    1. I had no idea how much it would cost when I got in the cab
    2. I have no idea how much the driver got paid and whether it was worthwhile for him.
    3. He was 3 mins away when I booked and it was a quick straight ride out, early morning with clear roads. That's 15 mins so double to get back.
    4. I don't know how much it costs to run a taxi

    At a guess of 50% covering costs and Uber's cut and 50% to the driver he's making £10 an hour. I've no way of knowing how much work he gets or whether he's long sitting waiting for fares but that really just confirms my point that I have no real way of judging whether Uber are treating their drivers well. That doesn't mean I don't care or think that driving down wages is a great thing.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Uber No More You Gotta Get GETT
    By Brainwrong in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-10-15, 21:27
  2. Uber Taxi
    By SirRiordan in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-10-15, 23:47
  3. Following on from Uber... Liftshare
    By hibadelic in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-02-15, 12:58

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •